PDA

View Full Version : 'Big O' questions Heat role in 'Miami Thrice' deal

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Hall of Fame guard Oscar Robertson, who went to court to help ensure that players such as LeBron James would be able to reap huge free-agency windfalls, believes NBA owners are complicit with the maneuvers of the stars and their agents.

"Players get together and decide they want to do this or that ... but the owners are still involved in it," Robertson said of the arrangements that enabled James and fellow free agent Chris Bosh to land with Dwyane Wade in Miami. "When those three guys went down there and talked to the Miami Heat, (the Heat management) had to have known about that.

"The players decided they wanted to play together, but it still takes the owners to pay the money. Nobody is going to pay the money if they don't know anything about it at all. I mean, come on. It was a surprise that these players were coming to your team and, all of a sudden, you have the contracts there, and you have this ready and you have that ready in a day? Come on."
As president of the NBA Players' Association, Robertson was the key proponent of the so-called "Oscar Robertson Suit' in 1970 that led to major reform of the league's strict free agency and draft rules.

Without the persistence of the "Big O" in the antitrust suit 40 years ago, free-agent stars of today would not be able to orchestrate arrangements to play together.

Robertson's 1970 suit against the NBA contended the draft, option clause and other rules restricting player movement were violations of antitrust laws. The suit was settled in 1976, when the league agreed to let players become free agents in exchange for their old team's "right of first refusal" to match any offer they might receive.

"I gave them the right to do this when I went to court and won that case," Robertson said from his home in Cincinnati. "I would hope they did (talk among themselves). This is the first time that I know of that players sat down and decided on a major (deal) like this.

"I know they are upset in the city of Cleveland, and they have the right to be upset. But you have to be professional about stuff like that as far as what you do and what you say. Because they just fired their coach (Mike Brown) and the general manager (Danny Ferry) left. But I guess LeBron was such a talent both on the court and off the court that he just overwhelmed everybody with what he said and what he did.

"When you have a team, and you have one person so important to the team that when they leave, this happens....if LeBron had gotten hurt, what would (the Cavs) have done? "

Robertson, the only player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season (30.8 points, 11.4 assists and 12.5 rebounds for the Cincinnati Royals in 1961-62), said it wouldn't have been his style to take part in a TV special to announce which team he would join.

"No, I would not have done that at all," Robertson said. "I would have told the teams (involved) and I would not have gone on TV at all. I would say, 'If you want to do an article that would appear in the paper or what not'... I would have done it that way.

"Going on TV was almost like ESPN was running this thing. But here again you have sponsors, you've got Nike ... he was trying to do something to help the Boy's Club. But you open yourself up to scrutiny when you do that."

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/07/big-o-questions-heat-role-in-miami-thrice-deal.html

Draco
07-14-2010, 06:39 PM
"When those three guys went down there and talked to the Miami Heat, (the Heat management) had to have known about that.

Of course.. and I'm sure they all talked about this well ahead of June. Even Dan Le Batard said (paraphrasing) there's no way Riley guts his roster without having some knowledge that these guys were going to Miami.

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Of course.. and I'm sure they all talked about this well ahead of June. Even Dan Le Batard said (paraphrasing) there's no way Riley guts his roster without having some knowledge that these guys were going to Miami.

true

ATX
07-14-2010, 06:41 PM
More Miami Hate threads. Keep 'em coming Chi fans, lol.

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
More Miami Hate threads. Keep 'em coming Chi fans, lol.

lmao

why dont u just create one big: Official Bulls' Fan Crying Thread......u can post all these articles in one and u and luc longley can roast marshmallows together

you know whats funny, is you guys probably didnt even read the thread. your going in any miami thread and without reading just calling people haters. is that what its coming down to miami fans?

artest_kobe
07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
wait, lebron went to the heat?

Dallas Tx4Life
07-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Doesn't this look just as bad on the Bulls? They were the ones that gutted their roster as well, but obviously didn't know jack *****...

Big Zo
07-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Ok, so lets just hire people to follow the players around 24/7 and make sure they're not talking to anyone they're not supposed to be talking to.

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Doesn't this look just as bad on the Bulls? They were the ones that gutted their roster as well, but obviously didn't know jack *****...

the bulls still had rose,deng,noah, gibson, and johnson. the rest were FA's on the roster. they only traded hinrich. theres usually 12 guys on a roster so they had 5 left. thats not gutting really especially when its those 5 guys.

DWills
07-14-2010, 06:49 PM
damn heat!!!!

they cant sign anyone!!!!!

Draco
07-14-2010, 06:49 PM

The Bulls weren't in the position of trying to keep Wade.

Wade>You
07-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I love the doubters. I just don't know how the BIG 3 are going to find the space for all this locker room material.

Melo15
07-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Good article, maybe some of you should actually read it before throwing insults around based on the team each of us roots for.

REGular
07-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Didn't the Front Offices though have the right to get involved after the July 1st deadline?

I'm just confused by what Oscar Robertson is accusing them of.

They had a week to put together the 3 contracts, didn't they?

Wade>You
07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Didn't the Front Offices though have the right to get involved after the July 1st deadline?

I'm just confused by what Oscar Robertson is accusing them of.

They had a week to put together the 3 contracts, didn't they?Big O's just mad because LeBron is the only player that can (and now will) challenge the Big O's only lasting legacy on the NBA.

toovey107
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Gutted?

:laugh2:

good one.

REGular
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Big O's just mad because LeBron is the only player that can (and now will) challenge the Big O's only lasting legacy on the NBA.

Yeah, that's probably it . . . b/c he's never stood up before for players' rights until now . . .

toovey107
07-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Wow, I wish Heat fans were less like Yankee fans . . .
:laugh:

There are actual Heat fans?

Wade>You
07-14-2010, 07:19 PM
right

cause heat fans are the ones postin all these whine threadsCommon sense hasn't applied to non-Heat fans after we acquired the BIG 3.

justinnum1
07-14-2010, 07:24 PM
At the end of the day, Riley had the balls to take a risk, and he got rewarded...Keep on crying about it.

justinnum1
07-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Common sense hasn't applied to non-Heat fans after we acquired the BIG 3.

:nod: Keep on hating...isn't going to change the fact Miami is gonna rape teams next season.

DWills
07-14-2010, 07:28 PM
:nod: Keep on hating...isn't going to change the fact Miami is gonna rape teams next season.

lol....its gonna be pretty bad at times......

_KB24_
07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
These Heat threads are just about getting annoying now...

kingbrentg
07-14-2010, 07:32 PM
This is just turning into a bunch of complaining and name calling.