PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf talks Big 3; Regrets Dealing Hinrich

whitesoxfan83
07-14-2010, 05:30 PM
On the heels of the greatest free-agent recruiting flurry in NBA history, Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf has just one regret.

"I regret the fact that we lost Kirk (Hinrich)," Reinsdorf said in a phone interview. "But if we hadn't moved Kirk, we couldn't have been a player."

In the race to free up cap room to spend on free agents, the Bulls sent Hinrich and first-round draft pick Kevin Seraphin to Washington in exchange for the rights to obscure Belarus power forward Vladimir Veremeenko.

After chasing LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and others, the Bulls were able to sign former Utah forward Carlos Boozer, while James, Wade and Bosh joined forces in Miami. The Bulls also signed ex-Jazz sharpshooter Kyle Korver and have an offer sheet pending with Orlando restricted free agent J.J. Redick.

"It was clear LeBron wasn't going to come (to the Bulls) by himself," Reinsdorf said. "Somebody else had to come with him so we had to take that shot. It didn't work out, so now I feel bad that Kirk is gone, but I don't regret taking the shot."

Reinsdorf didn't want to comment on James' often-criticized television special announcing his decision. But he took the alignment of the three stars in stride.

"Those three guys apparently had a dream where they wanted to play together and it's their privilege to do it," Reinsdorf said. "I don't side with the people who are critical of them for getting together. I think it was clearly their privilege to do it and I don't think there was any obligation on LeBron's part or Chris Bosh's part to stay where they were."

Now a popular topic of debate is whether Miami's power trio was sincere in considering the Bulls. Some suspect those meetings were merely a charade to hide the fact that the players agreed to team up long before free-agency began on July 1.

Reinsdorf felt the intentions of James and Bosh were honest.

"I don't think they would have wasted their time," he said. "I think Wade, in his own mind, was going to go back to Miami unless he heard something that made him change his mind. But I think LeBron and Chris were definitely open-minded.

"I think if we could have cleared space for three of them, we might have gotten them all. We just couldn't clear the space."

Still, Reinsdorf isn't ready to concede anything to the Heat. If the Bulls can find a decent rotation at shooting guard, they should be ready to step forward next season with the addition of Boozer.

"I believe we will be better than Miami this year," Reinsdorf said. "I think with Derrick (Rose), Joakim (Noah), Lu (Deng) and Boozer, we've got four really good front-line players.

"I know Gar (Forman) and John (Paxson) will fill in at the shooting guard position and I think we're going to have depth with Taj (Gibson) and James Johnson and we're working on some other stuff. I think we're going to be pretty good this year."

This was an unusual process for the Bulls. Not since the Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady summer of 2000 have the Bulls worked so hard to pursue free agents. Reinsdorf didn't attend the meeting that lured Ben Wallace in 2006.

The free-agent chase of 2000 is best remembered for pep rallies at the airport and the biggest stars all snubbing the Bulls.

"Last time reminded me more of a fraternity rush," Reinsdorf said. "That year was more like show business. Orlando had a Disney parade, I think, for Tim Duncan. There was not a lot of substance to the recruiting at that time.

"This time, we had some really good presentations and we explained to each free agent why, from a basketball standpoint, he should play here and why from a business standpoint he should play here. We had a very sophisticated presentation on how much money they could make off the court and how they could go about doing it.

"Then there were really great basketball discussions between (coach Tom) Thibodeau and each of the players. They really got in depth as far as how he wants the Bulls to play and how each one of these guys fit into what we were going to be doing."

The Bulls can only hope Thibodeau didn't give up any strategies that will help James, Wade and Bosh in Miami.

While Reinsdorf didn't go overboard like Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert promising the Cavs will win a title before James, he did set the bar high for next season.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=394087

zambo4president
07-14-2010, 05:30 PM
That's a misleading title.

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
hinrich had to go..... sorry, but he did.

airforceones25
07-14-2010, 05:32 PM
That's a misleading title.

what's misleading about it?

PraiseJesus
07-14-2010, 05:33 PM
I like that he admitted trading Hinrich was dumb.

I have been scratching my head about that for weeks

J$mo0th_3o5
07-14-2010, 05:36 PM
:nod: Hinrich gives Wade trouble for some reason.

justinnum1
07-14-2010, 05:40 PM
:nod: Hinrich gives Wade trouble for some reason.

:nod:

REALLYYYYY?
07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
the bulls with lebron woulda been better than the heat with lebron, but whatever...

HouRealCoach
07-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Alot of things the Bulls have done was stupid except for Drafting

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2010, 05:43 PM
the bulls with lebron woulda been better than the heat with lebron, but whatever...

:clap:

Draco
07-14-2010, 05:47 PM
"I regret the fact that we lost Kirk (Hinrich)," Reinsdorf said in a phone interview. "But if we hadn't moved Kirk, we couldn't have been a player."

There's one of the consequences of tampering why it's illegal and hurts the league.

J$mo0th_3o5
07-14-2010, 05:48 PM

RaiderLakersA's
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
I was wondering why there wasn't more press given to some of the fallout of teams not having succeeded in the LeBron or Wade sweepstakes. Maybe they're waiting until the end of the season to tally up the carnage?

Draco
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
"I know Gar (Forman) and John (Paxson) will fill in at the shooting guard position and I think we're going to have depth with Taj (Gibson) and James Johnson and we're working on some other stuff. I think we're going to be pretty good this year."

Oh no.. Paxon's coming out of retirement and lacing them up again.

dnewguy
07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Admitting what everyone else besides the Bulls fans already know. You don't give away your best perimeter defender for a slice of pork.

x23cbru24x
07-14-2010, 05:58 PM
if they got lebron and didnt have so much cap space left he would of said...thank god we dealt hinrich...he was good but had to go to clear space to have a chance at 2 max

D-Amazins
07-14-2010, 05:58 PM
oh no.. Paxon's coming out of retirement and lacing them up again.

:d:

tangent12
07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
*Sigh* :( :facepalm:

Bryrob58
07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Pfft at all of you who say that they should have kept him. If you have a chance at getting two of the best players in the game, you take that chance, even if it means getting rid of Kirk, who is replaceable.

In hindsight, the Bulls may have been better off to keep him, but it's not like they walk away empty handed. They wouldn't have had the money for Redick... The Bulls have still had a great offseason, and I applaud their efforts and going all in.

Bullsfan22
07-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Pfft at all of you who say that they should have kept him. If you have a chance at getting two of the best players in the game, you take that chance, even if it means getting rid of Kirk, who is replaceable.

In hindsight, the Bulls may have been better off to keep him, but it's not like they walk away empty handed. They wouldn't have had the money for Redick... The Bulls have still had a great offseason, and I applaud their efforts and going all in.

right on. You have to risk something to get something.

dnewguy
07-14-2010, 07:09 PM

That's how you know a crappy GM....he could've simply told the players that they have a deal in place in case they choose Chicago that will accommodate two of them....that's what Riley would have done, get a commitment from Washington and tell them the conditions, simple.....anyone would wait to get Hinrich and a 1st round pick for a bag of chips.

Shmontaine
07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
That's how you know a crappy GM....he could've simply told the players that they have a deal in place in case they choose Chicago that will accommodate two of them....that's what Riley would have done, get a commitment from Washington and tell them the conditions, simple.....anyone would wait to get Hinrich and a 1st round pick for a bag of chips.

sure man, that's how it works... not sure if you know how this whole thing works... the bulls needed cap space, not washington... Why would the wiz wait to give up cap space when it's extremely valuable, only to get nothing after everything is said and done... the bulls had no choice but to get cap space asap from washington before another team did... and just because riley tampers, that doesn't make him a good gm...

lavilevi23
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
LOL Bulls suck

DWills
07-14-2010, 07:21 PM
in other words:

ooooops!!!!

Shmontaine
07-14-2010, 07:23 PM
oops??? kinda like drafting beasley...

DWills
07-14-2010, 07:25 PM
oops??? kinda like drafting beasley...

lmao

gettin rid of him got us bron, dwade and bosh......

u got rid of hinrich and got kyle corver.....ur right, its pretty close

Melo15
07-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I love the Bulls Heat fan rivalry we got going now.

Shmontaine
07-14-2010, 07:32 PM
lmao

gettin rid of him got us bron, dwade and bosh......

u got rid of hinrich and got kyle corver.....ur right, its pretty close

i was relating it to your great gm and the work he's done...

mistakes get made in efforts to compile a competing team... the bulls took a chance... would they have done it if they knew the big 3 already decided on miami?? probably not... but i do believe the bulls will recover from trading hinrich pretty easily...

did you guys always think kirk was a great player?? or is this a recent development from the high everyone in miami is on?? 9 mil for a defensive is replaceable...

DWills
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
i was relating it to your great gm and the work he's done...

mistakes get made in efforts to compile a competing team... the bulls took a chance... would they have done it if they knew the big 3 already decided on miami?? probably not... but i do believe the bulls will recover from trading hinrich pretty easily...

did you guys always think kirk was a great player?? or is this a recent development from the high everyone in miami is on?? 9 mil for a defensive is replaceable...

nope...

he can play a little d, but id never say hinrich was a great player.....that would be too funny

Big Zo
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I love the Bulls Heat fan rivalry we got going now.

If only we still had James Posey and they still had Kirk Hinrich...

Shmontaine
07-14-2010, 07:35 PM
nope...

he can play a little d, but id never say hinrich was a great player.....that would be too funny

then why is our gm horrible.. he got rid of a guy who could play a little d in hopes to lure two max fa's... what's the angle here, then???

jules77
07-14-2010, 08:05 PM

I agree..but thats what you get when players start to play GM..

Ezekial
07-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Admitting what everyone else besides the Bulls fans already know. You don't give away your best perimeter defender for a slice of pork.

I'm gonna tell you something everyone but Heat fans don't know. Just because you signed 3 talented players and nothing else, it doesn't make you:
A. Best team in the league.
B. Favorites to win the championship.

It does make you extremely:

A. Arrogant

Bulls with Lebron > Heat with Lebron.

Bulls will do better than the Heat this year, sig it, sign it, book it. 07/14/2010

DWills
07-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Bulls will do better than the Heat this year, sig it, sign it, book it. 07/14/2010

lmao

Ezekial
07-14-2010, 08:14 PM
lmao

I'll be laughing when:

A. Your terrible bench can't keep you in games when the Queen, D-Wade, and the lapdog are taking a breather from their usual 40 min nights.

B. When the playoffs come along and your 3 "superstars"(2 superstars and a solid player) get tired from those 82 40 min nights.

C. Someone's ego is hurt.

If you wanna sig bet it, go ahead....
Rose
Korver
Deng
Boozer
Noah

Looking at our bench too, damn I'm confident.

DWills
07-14-2010, 08:16 PM
I'll be laughing when:

A. Your terrible bench can't keep you in games when the Queen, D-Wade, and the lapdog are taking a breather from their usual 40 min nights.

B. When the playoffs come along and your 3 "superstars"(2 superstars and a solid player) get tired from those 82 40 min nights.

If you wanna sig bet it, go ahead.... I meant that the Bulls will go further in the playoffs than the Heat.

Rose
Korver
Deng
Boozer
Noah

i really have no interest in a ghey asss sig bet.....if u wanna bet money, then im all for it

DWills
07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Looking at our bench too, damn I'm delusional.

fyp

Ezekial
07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
i really have no interest in a ghey asss sig bet.....if u wanna bet money, then im all for it

Oh man, you are sooooo hard.

Can I one day, be as cool as you?

Don't forget that the Bulls have something Miami doesn't still........... Money.

Ezekial
07-14-2010, 08:24 PM
fyp

Man I should take you fishing, you look you can bait really well.

Bryrob58
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM

I want in on this. The Heat will have a better record then the Bulls. Any ideas for the sig bet? I'm a Chargers fan, so maybe the winner will have to sig the other guys QB?

Ezekial
07-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I want in on this. The Heat will have a better record then the Bulls. Any ideas for the sig bet? I'm a Chargers fan, so maybe the winner will have to sig the other guys QB?

I agree to rock a P. Riv's sig if I lose, it will suck if i lose though, I won't get to rock my PACKERS SUPERBOWL sig after they win for too long.

Bryrob58
07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I meant further in the playoffs as specified later to that other dude.

I do not mean regular season record.

I agree to rock a P. Riv's sig if I lose, it will suck if i lose though, I won't get to rock my PACKERS SUPERBOWL sig after they win for too long.

;) fine...

I'm still down though, the heat will go farther in the playoffs then the Bulls.

At least you have a decent shot at winning this bet. I'll roll out a Rodgers one if you win the bet.

Also lol at the Packers bit

Korman12
07-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Not relevant

Hindy27
07-14-2010, 10:36 PM
what's misleading about it?

Reinsdorf talks Big 3; Regrets Dealing Hinrich

"Somebody else had to come with him so we had to take that shot. It didn't work out, so now I feel bad that Kirk is gone, but I don't regret taking the shot."

He feels bad about dealing him but he doesn't regret doing it.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-14-2010, 10:41 PM
lol bulls suck

6-1

NEILarado
07-14-2010, 10:56 PM
6-1

LMAO!!! thats right.

Bulls = 6 rings
Miami = 1 ring

Last playoff series together = Bulls SWEEP

Heat fans are talking a little too early ;)

jaded01
07-14-2010, 11:09 PM
6-1*

fixed.

the dallas series was a farce. 25 free throws by one player in one game decided by one point is the reason why people doubt the nba.

Wade>You
07-14-2010, 11:16 PM
This guy couldn't find a taker for Noah and Rose in order to accommodate the BIG3? Either he's lying or I think he just views Noah/Rose as better players than the BIG 3. My guess is the latter.

jackdawson
07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Bulls: :cry::mad::cry:

Heat: :dance:;) :dance:

tredigs
07-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I like that he admitted trading Hinrich was dumb.

I have been scratching my head about that for weeks

All he said was that he's disappointed that Hinrich was gone, but doesn't regret taking the chance to land Lebron (and dealing Kirk gave them that chance).

Makes sense, nice to see a more candid interview out of an executive.

Stunner
07-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Bulls Fans are happy with our future despite gettin the Huge free agents. We will be fighting with the best knowing we will be a top 5 team in the East.

tredigs
07-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Bulls Fans are happy with our future despite gettin the Huge free agents. We will be fighting with the best knowing we will be a top 5 team in the East.

With the emergence of Rose as a possible near superstar level player in his 3rd season, Boozer on the squad, and Noah finally coming into his own? Yeah, I like that Bulls team. I could easily see them as an HCA team (4th slot) come playoff time.

oak2455
07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
LMAO!!! thats right.

Bulls = 6 rings
Miami = 1 ring

Last playoff series together = Bulls SWEEP

Heat fans are talking a little too early ;)

The funny thing is there are soooo many Heat fans didnt see this many before:confused:

caddiemaster
07-14-2010, 11:34 PM
puke!

REALLYYYYY?
07-14-2010, 11:49 PM
if only we still had aaron gray... :(

daricoliver
07-14-2010, 11:51 PM
I liked Hinrich but come on, his defense was so overrated. He tried hard, but truth be told, if a bigger guard took Hinrich took the post, it was over. Hinrich could not guard them. If they stayed on the perimeter, he was scrappy and would get in there way. They could still shoot over him, but he was very disruptive and tried really hard and was pretty good at staying after it. For the money they were paying him, they could sign two players. You could probably sign a Ronnie Brewer and another shooter like Roger Mason Jr. In Ronnie Brewer, you would have a far better defender for less money and actually more overall production. I just think this is a no brainer.

What?
07-14-2010, 11:54 PM
if they got lebron and didnt have so much cap space left he would of said...thank god we dealt hinrich...he was good but had to go to clear space to have a chance at 2 max

Other then the first part which he wouldn't say isn't that what he said...

J$mo0th_3o5
07-15-2010, 12:47 AM

That's like taking candy from a baby:laugh2:

D-Block21-Chito
07-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Other then the first part which he wouldn't say isn't that what he said...

Someone really thinks Devon harris will have a better year than Rose? Nice sig bet bud

mikantsass
07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
They had to deal Kirk in order to give themselves a chance at the Big guns. Seeing how they lost out on all of them, looking back it was a dumb trade. I would mach rather have Booze and Kirk than Booze and Korver. But still, the trade had to have been made in order to make a play for James/Wade/Bosh/Amare/JJ.

At the time, good trade.
When all is said and done, bad trade.

mikantsass
07-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Someone really thinks Devon harris will have a better year than Rose? Nice sig bet bud

Harris has the potential to be a top 5pg in the league. I'm not saying he will be but he is lightning quick, can get to the basket, is a great passer, can hit the 3, has a nice midrange jumper. He just doesnt play D, is a little undersized, and is stuck on the Nets. Its such a shame because he could be soooo good....

Jamiecballer
07-15-2010, 09:55 AM
There's one of the consequences of tampering why it's illegal and hurts the league.

i don't understand what you mean. all of the teams that did the same as Miami but failed to land the players are victims while Miami is evil?

JonnyBrav000
07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Yea it was stupid, the Bulls took a huge gamble and lost. The team they have is great and if they still had Hienrich it could have been greater. I thought it would have been a good look for them to pick up Raja Bell, but now that he is signed they should definately go after Josh Howard. Maybe he has something left in the tank.

uws
07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
it never made sense, he was really the leader of that team, he's been around so long as is a great character, terrible move to let a guy like that go. It was a terrible trade getting rid of him too, they had to give away way too much

JonnyBrav000
07-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Harris has the potential to be a top 5pg in the league. I'm not saying he will be but he is lightning quick, can get to the basket, is a great passer, can hit the 3, has a nice midrange jumper. He just doesnt play D, is a little undersized, and is stuck on the Nets. Its such a shame because he could be soooo good....

Agree but he is not better than Rose. By the way Harris is not a good 3 point shooter. Not even close. And he could not be a top 5 point guard either, he could round out the top 10 but even with that said he isn't among the 10 best, and John Wall should be good so it is unlikely Harris cracks the top 5 at any point in his career or even maintains in the top 10, plus he's slightly older than many of the guys on this list.

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Rajan Rondo
4. Steve Nash
5. Chauncey Billups
6. Derrick Rose/ Tyreke Evans
7. Stephen Curry
8. Jason Kidd
9. Russell Westbrook
10. Devin Harris/ Brandon Jennings

xbrackattackx
07-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Heat and Bulls fans really don't like each other. Awesome!

RCarlson85
07-15-2010, 10:06 AM

What kind of chips?

RCarlson85
07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I'll be laughing when:

C. Someone's ego is hurt.

If you wanna sig bet it, go ahead.... I meant that the Bulls will go further in the playoffs than the Heat.

Rose
Korver
Deng
Boozer
Noah

First of all, I just looked at your bench and I'm not sure why you're so confident. All I say was Taj Gibson and some James Johnson dude who played 11 minutes a game last year, that's all you have right now. Not saying you won't get someone else, it just hasn't happened yet. I think anyone looking at it unbiasedly would take Haslem, Big Z, and Howard over those 2.

Secondly, in response to point A, Do you really think that Wade, Lebron, and Bosh will all be on the bench at the same time? I'll answer for you, NO. The only time they will all be sitting on the bench is in a blowout. So there won't be times when it's all on the bench unless the game over already.

Thirdly, I like how you try to downplay how good Bosh is. He may not be on the level of Wade/Lebron/Kobe, but he is still a superstar and probably right near top 10 in the NBA. Besides, if he's not a superstar, Boozer certainly isn't a superstar. It all comes down to the fact that the Bulls lost out on these guys and you're salty, but when you start saying ridiculous things it just makes you sound stupid.

Aussy4GM
07-15-2010, 10:26 AM

Actually Bulls Fans Did Know That it was a bad trade but it was in a effort to get LeBron. For Christ sake the heat let go of their whole team to do it and they werent getting any pork for those players. now they lucked out and got the big 3 and they give away beasly for a slice of pork. so what are you talking about dude. you guys need to get off the bulls dick. real talk.

Russollini
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM

Exactly, the funny thing is had he traded him to the Heat last year, then they would have been stuck lol.

I think it will be interesting for sure this year as the Heat and Bulls will struggle on defense. The Bulls on the perimeter and the heat down low. The Heat need a thug down low (Anthony will give them some of that), and the Bulls need Kirk.

As for all of those still crying foul, tampering is only when a team is involved. Wade, Bosh and Bron can talk about whatever they want whenever they want. No one even knew if they would have space for 3 Max Contracts, and in the end they were both sign and trades, and not even signings.

Like it or not the Heat have the top two talents in the NBA and Bosh is most likely a top 15. I really do not know why people like him so much. I honestly do not think he is a Max player, but my opinion is just that. I think the Max guys are Wade, Bron, Kobe, Paul, Durant, and well that may be it.

I am a Heat fan, and think that we could have done better by Keeping Beas and signing Bron and Wade. The only reason Bosh got a Max in Miami was because of Wade. Beas will have the same numbers as Bosh at 10+Million less. Wade simply did not like him. They were not "friends". Granted he was immature, but was coming around nicely I thought.

JordansBulls
07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Having Kirk we would have had the Wade stopper and the Lebron stopper on one team. Kirk being the Wade stopper and Deng being the Lebron stopper.