PDA

View Full Version : NBA team ‘under contract’ if Las Vegas builds an arena

drew35
07-14-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jul/14/nba-team-under-contract-if-las-vegas-builds-arena/

Which team could it be!?

billyocean15
07-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Clippers? Pacers? I have no idea

marlinsfan24
07-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Lakers. They don't have a big enough fan base in LA as the Clippers are the more dominant team

Jays Claw
07-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Most likely, it'd be the Indiana Pacers.

OG "Dee" LOCc
07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Seattle should get its own team, and so should Vegas....creating a 32 team league

GSW Hoops
07-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Give them the Clippers.

Hellcrooner
07-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Seattle should get its own team, and so should Vegas....creating a 32 team league

agee

but i think it must be memphis

Gators123
07-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Pistons are for sale. I would be pissed if they left Michigan.

drew35
07-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Most likely, it'd be the Indiana Pacers.

pacers owner said they are styaing.

It might be the Pistons.

Baseballcb95
07-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Ive been hearing a couple reports from unnamed sources, that it is in fact the Los Angeles Lakers

Baseballcb95
07-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Id say cleveland but... they dont have a team to move?

SA5195
07-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Clippers.

dtmagnet
07-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Heat.

idrinkpepsi
07-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Sacramento or the Clippers make the most sense.

Edit: http://silverstatearena.com/ was looking for the link when I saw this, the plans for this arena look great. Would be a good fit for an NBA team

Wade>You
07-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Guys: one team would have to be in the East, the other in the West (Vegas). Keep that in mind.

ombada
07-14-2010, 05:19 PM
pacers owner said they are styaing.

It might be the Pistons.

Yup, pacers just signed a multi year deal with the CIB. They will be in Indy Guaranteed for another 3 years + more...

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100712/SPORTS04/7120329/1088/SPORTS04/Pacers-getting-33.5-million-to-stay

Under the terms, control of Conseco Fieldhouse -- and revenues from all events there -- will remain with the team, but unlike the current contract, the city will chip in $10 million per year for fieldhouse operations for the next three years. The city also will pay at least $3.5 million for capital improvements at the fieldhouse, an amount that has the potential to increase by up to $4.7 million.

In exchange, the Pacers must stay in Indianapolis through the 2012-13 basketball season or pay back the entire $30 million. The team also would be on the hook for a portion of that $30 million if it left before its contract expired in 2019.

For example, if the team left in 2016, it would pay back $19 million; if it left in 2018, it would pay back $7 million. That would be in addition to the termination fees -- estimated at $20 million-- spelled out in the existing agreement.

If the Pacers stay through the end of their current contract, which ends in 2019, they would not have to pay any of the money back.

so if it were the pacers, it would be the cost of buying the team (303 million) plus the 30 million extra to break that contract + termination fees (estimated 20 mil)

MrfadeawayJB
07-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Harlem Globetrotters!!!

D-Will4Prez
07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Guys: one team would have to be in the East, the other in the West (Vegas). Keep that in mind.

Or just move the Hornets or Grizzlies (my vote would be Grizz) to the eastern conference (since that's probably where they should be anyway) then you could add 2 new teams in Seattle and Vegas.

zambo4president
07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Pacers make 0 sense. Indiana is basketball crazy, that wouldn't happen. Clippers obviously make sense, Kings too. Thy should just open up 2 expansion teams, 1 in Vegas and 1 in Louisville.

SANDBURG23
07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
It is the Miami Heat, Pat Riley' final peice to the coup.

DaoudS
07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Raptors.

SANDBURG23
07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
They should move Memphis to Mexico City.

SANDBURG23
07-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Raptors.

Thank God my list wish wasn't like that.

schilling
07-14-2010, 05:33 PM
utah? portland? new orleans? memphis? san antonio?

can we get seattle, st louis, baltimore, and other bigger market cities first? i understand okc was a huge success, but why is stern trying to be a pioneer and put teams in new cities? will las vegas really be a good spot?

PraiseJesus
07-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Its the Kings everyone knows that.

The Maloofs already own the Palms they have talked about Vegas before

Klivlend
07-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Ya, let's but a group of young, over-privileged millionaires in Vegas...sounds like a great idea. I bet they will really focus on basketball

TheChamp
07-14-2010, 05:37 PM
utah? portland? new orleans? memphis? san antonio?

can we get seattle, st louis, baltimore, and other bigger market cities first? i understand okc was a huge success, but why is stern trying to be a pioneer and put teams in new cities? will las vegas really be a good spot?

Are you serious!?!? Las Vegas would be great for sports teams! Just imagine all the people who need something to do if not gambling. I think sports would be a huge success in Las Vegas.

whitesoxfan83
07-14-2010, 05:40 PM
It wont be a renowned team...

Im looking at Memphis, Toronto, Charlotte, Minnesota, Golden State, Sacramento, or New Orleans.

Whichever one of those teams consistently brings in league low revenue will probably be the one moved. (Arena factors would also have to be considered)

Its also fitting the NBA would be the first league to give Vegas a team, since they are by far the most corrupt sports league of the big 4.

The NBA needs to be more focused on getting the Sonics back in Seattle...

gbrl
07-14-2010, 05:48 PM
agree with Sacramento to Vegas because of the Maloofs

Dallas Tx4Life
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Ya, let's but a group of young, over-privileged millionaires in Vegas...sounds like a great idea. I bet they will really focus on basketball

LOL!! Good point. You would have to really watch who was on that team. You're just asking for trouble though. Enough Pacer talk too, we are staying!!!

pyru
07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
It sounds like Vegas is being smart about this and not putting the decision in the hands of the taxpayers, but rather finding private investors. If for any reason they have to, you will never see a NBA team in the state.
After the All-Star game and the type of people it brought in with it, the citizens stood up and said that they would never approve of a team coming into Vegas, and they came out in droves with protest.
The crime rate went through the roof, and unfortunately it brought out all the wrong kinds of people whom took the motto "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" to Heart. There were arrests of football and basketball players, hip hop artists and fans. It came from all types and walks of life, White, Black, Brown and everything else. Living in Vegas at the time was a nightmare.

Now, I know that people aren't going to come from all over the world to see a regular season game as they did an all star game, but that particular event soured the taste of bringing an NBA team to Vegas sooo much that I don't really know if they will be able to fill the seats after the new glimmer rubs off.
I'm not for or against it, but I set up all the staging, lights and sound for the games and many of the pre and post game parties. I know what a negative effect it had on the community and unless the "Vegas Natives" all moved back to LA and NY or forgot abot the whole nasty incident, I can tell you it will be very hard to fill the stands with anything less than the Lakers or Heat.

Akshay
07-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Clippers

drew35
07-14-2010, 06:31 PM
It sounds like Vegas is being smart about this and not putting the decision in the hands of the taxpayers, but rather finding private investors. If for any reason they have to, you will never see a NBA team in the state.
After the All-Star game and the type of people it brought in with it, the citizens stood up and said that they would never approve of a team coming into Vegas, and they came out in droves with protest.
The crime rate went through the roof, and unfortunately it brought out all the wrong kinds of people whom took the motto "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" to Heart. There were arrests of football and basketball players, hip hop artists and fans. It came from all types and walks of life, White, Black, Brown and everything else. Living in Vegas at the time was a nightmare.

Now, I know that people aren't going to come from all over the world to see a regular season game as they did an all star game, but that particular event soured the taste of bringing an NBA team to Vegas sooo much that I don't really know if they will be able to fill the seats after the new glimmer rubs off.
I'm not for or against it, but I set up all the staging, lights and sound for the games and many of the pre and post game parties. I know what a negative effect it had on the community and unless the "Vegas Natives" all moved back to LA and NY or forgot abot the whole nasty incident, I can tell you it will be very hard to fill the stands with anything less than the Lakers or Heat.

First of all I would like to know where you got this information.
And only big thing that happen during the all star game was pacman and friends shooting up a place. Other little crimes that happened always happen they just tried to make a big deal because it was during the all star break.

Vegas won't be able to fill seats?
They fill seats for the Lakers/Kings preseason game, Summer league games, and the USA practice game.

Right now Vegas is treating UNLV basketball which is a college team as their "pro" team lol.

Vegas is a basketball city.
They deserve a pro team in that city.

Wade>You
07-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Or just move the Hornets or Grizzlies (my vote would be Grizz) to the eastern conference (since that's probably where they should be anyway) then you could add 2 new teams in Seattle and Vegas.Good observation. The Hornets could slide to the East to accommodate the new team in the West.

Blackification
07-14-2010, 07:48 PM
First of all I would like to know where you got this information.
And only big thing that happen during the all star game was pacman and friends shooting up a place. Other little crimes that happened always happen they just tried to make a big deal because it was during the all star break.

Vegas won't be able to fill seats?
They fill seats for the Lakers/Kings preseason game, Summer league games, and the USA practice game.

Right now Vegas is treating UNLV basketball which is a college team as their "pro" team lol.

Vegas is a basketball city.
They deserve a pro team in that city.

Yup in pretty much every preseason game the lakers and kings have here one of the laker players always calls vegas the lakers second home.

Red Hot Rolllin
07-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I once heard this was the destination that Paul Allen coveted not Seattle. hmmm I sure hope not

drew35
07-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I just hate the people who bad mouth Vegas.

Vegas will not be allowed to bet on the team that moves here.

They deserve a team because they been trying forever even though it seemed it was impossible at one time and never gave up.

CHItown_23
07-14-2010, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't mind Vegas with a NBA team, but lets get some justice for Seattle first. I really don't see the Pacers leaving as Indiana is like the holy land of basketball. The Pistons though are in BIG trouble. Any way you look at it, its bad for Detroit and they most likely won't have a team in 10-20 years.

drew35
07-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Well they said it isn't the kings.

Melo15
07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I'll guess the Pistons

mzgrizz
07-14-2010, 11:56 PM
agee

but i think it must be memphis

Come on HC; I've explained this a million times to you; they CANNOT legally leave for at least 6 years; and only if certain situations are met.
Give it up, man.

mzgrizz
07-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Or just move the Hornets or Grizzlies (my vote would be Grizz) to the eastern conference (since that's probably where they should be anyway) then you could add 2 new teams in Seattle and Vegas.

Agreed. After all , we ARE east of the Mississippi.

Hellcrooner
07-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Come on HC; I've explained this a million times to you; they CANNOT legally leave for at least 6 years; and only if certain situations are met.
Give it up, man.

You knwo as well as i do that owner has tried to sell the team for a hwhile now.

The 6year leasing will probably be helped with some kind of payment to set it free.

Also they empty raftfers dont help , and that someting you know, if i can see the empty seats from my Tv in spain you must feel horribel about it when you are sitting in there.

Its a pity but is what is it.

And now my fav lady do something to get Calderon!!!!!!!!! ;)

GonnaFlyNow
07-15-2010, 12:06 AM
I hope its the sixers, that would make the philly sports scene more enjoyable...

Giantwarrior
07-15-2010, 12:07 AM
the confrences and divisions are evenly stacked. you cant add 2 more teams. The Kins would be on the list of teas that could move to Vegas, since the Maloof Bros. own the Kings and Palms Hotel.

GonnaFlyNow
07-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Marc Gasol...really?

netsgiantsyanks
07-15-2010, 12:15 AM
the clippers

OT Thriller
07-15-2010, 12:16 AM
I feel like the Kings make too much sense to go to Las Vegas. I mean the Las Vegas Kings? It works so well.

pistonsfanomg
07-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I hope its the Kings lmfao

pyru
07-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Drew35, With all due respect

Once again I said I'm neither for or against it. I'm just telling you that when the dust settled the public outcry was to never see an NBA team in Vegas. I'm definitely not bad mouthing Vegas, it wasn't the city's fault, it just happened to be the unfortunate circumstance of the public not being able to control themselves during the event.

Also, I already said that unless it's the Lakers or Heat they wont sell out after a couple of years, so your comment on the Lakers always sell out when they come for preseason games really is a moot point.

I think you may be misunderstanding me, I dont care if they get a team or not, Vegas is a town of transplants whom already embrace their different sports teams, have you ever been to a sports book in Vegas? it's segregated like a jail house. You have your Laker fans in one corner, your Bulls fans in another, your Knicks in another and so on.

And as far as proof of an NBA player and a hip hop artist fighting, it happened at the Puff Daddy after party I was working, but because there is no article about it, we will call it hearsay and I will remove that point from my original statement.

Here is some of the proof you were asking for.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/consumer/articles/0503biz-mgmgrand03-ON.html

http://www.8newsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=6107862

http://www.nowpublic.com/mayhem_main_event_at_nba_all_star_weekend

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Feb-20-Tue-2007/news/12693500.html

http://sportscommentary.suite101.com/article.cfm/did_las_vegas_flunk_nba_audition

http://www.lvrj.com/news/50575402.html

drew35
07-15-2010, 03:41 AM
Drew35, With all due respect

Once again I said I'm neither for or against it. I'm just telling you that when the dust settled the public outcry was to never see an NBA team in Vegas. I'm definitely not bad mouthing Vegas, it wasn't the city's fault, it just happened to be the unfortunate circumstance of the public not being able to control themselves during the event.

Also, I already said that unless it's the Lakers or Heat they wont sell out after a couple of years, so your comment on the Lakers always sell out when they come for preseason games really is a moot point.

I think you may be misunderstanding me, I dont care if they get a team or not, Vegas is a town of transplants whom already embrace their different sports teams, have you ever been to a sports book in Vegas? it's segregated like a jail house. You have your Laker fans in one corner, your Bulls fans in another, your Knicks in another and so on.

And as far as proof of an NBA player and a hip hop artist fighting, it happened at the Puff Daddy after party I was working, but because there is no article about it, we will call it hearsay and I will remove that point from my original statement.

Here is some of the proof you were asking for.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/consumer/articles/0503biz-mgmgrand03-ON.html

http://www.8newsnow.com/global/story.asp?s=6107862

http://www.nowpublic.com/mayhem_main_event_at_nba_all_star_weekend

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Feb-20-Tue-2007/news/12693500.html

http://sportscommentary.suite101.com/article.cfm/did_las_vegas_flunk_nba_audition

http://www.lvrj.com/news/50575402.html

I bet most of those arrest were tourist and not locals.
But I posted other examples that fill in seats.
Summer league does way better than Orlando in filling the seats.
USA practice game is always sold out.
Locals even fill up seats for UNLV basketball.
We are a basketball city and the city has been wanting a NBA team for years.
Locals couldn't even go to the all star game since most of the seats were reserved -_-. And I live in Vegas and been to alot of sports books and I don't see that? But alot of locals in Vegas said they would support the team but still be a fan of their original team.

OA SLAY
07-15-2010, 03:57 AM
None !not happening. If owners are goona move its in their best interest to take their "talents to South Beach";)

geraptor
07-15-2010, 04:39 AM
clippers

Raoul Duke
07-15-2010, 09:02 AM
I hope its the Kings lmfao

I don't. I loved that team when it was all about C-Webb and the Euros. I hope noone has to lose their team.

JWO35
07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Let it be the LA Clippers, there is no need for them in Los Angeles

S-Dot
07-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Would rather see the Sonics back in Seattle, but Vegas could be nice. The NBA needs more 10:30 games to add to TNT/ESPN schedule so a team in Vegas' time zone will be nice.

uws
07-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I think the vegas team idea would be cool because it would always have people coming, but the fanbase would be pretty weak... I dont know if I like the idea of it, Vegas has toyed with the idea of adding pro teams before and it hasnt worked out all that well

of all the teams mentioned I really could care less because clips/kings etc. are just so irrelevant to be I would hardly notice

Hellcrooner
07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Imo teams that should not EVer be moved from where they are now and no name chane..

Knicks, Nets( yes they shoudl remain in Nj),Celtics, 76rws-
Bulls, Pustons, Pacers, bucks, Cavs.
Hawks, Heat,Wizzars( shoul go back to bullets)
Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Kings, Warriors.
Mavs,Rockets, SPurs,
Blazers, Jazz, Nuggets.
Basically teams with long history, titles, great past and a legacy and inner city implicaations emotianally .

The ones i wouldnt care if were moved.

Raptors, Magic, Bobcats.Grizzlies, Hornets, WOlves, Thunder( get them bqck to seattle you bluglars"""=).

Young$avage
07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I live in memphis and I can honestly say I don't see the Grizzlies moving anytime soon. Attendance has been going up in recent years and the popularity is slowly coming back now that Rudy has signed with the Griz again. Also, Michael Heisley says the team, by no means, will be moving anywhere

Gibby23
07-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I bet most of those arrest were tourist and not locals.
But I posted other examples that fill in seats.
Summer league does way better than Orlando in filling the seats.
USA practice game is always sold out.
Locals even fill up seats for UNLV basketball.
We are a basketball city and the city has been wanting a NBA team for years.
Locals couldn't even go to the all star game since most of the seats were reserved -_-. And I live in Vegas and been to alot of sports books and I don't see that? But alot of locals in Vegas said they would support the team but still be a fan of their original team.

Vegas has people that live there? Wow! I would be dead by now.

Gibby23
07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
It's not the Kings. The kings released a statement yesterday saying they were not the rumored team.

beerman28
07-15-2010, 12:06 PM
its the heat bc they are sick of their bandwagon fans