PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com - Cavs and Hawks trying to do a Sign and trade with Shaq for Marvin Williams

JordansBulls
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/

The Cleveland Cavaliers' pursuit of Hawks swingman Marvin Williams centers at the moment on trying to convince the Hawks to do a sign-and-trade deal that would send Shaquille O'Neal to Atlanta, according to a league source.

The Hawks do have an interest in the 38-year-old O'Neal, who is not likely to return to Cleveland next season. But Atlanta has budget limitations after agreeing to give guard Joe Johnson a $124 million max contract, with ownership unlikely to approve a deal for O'Neal or any other backup center that goes much above the veteran minimum. The Hawks are also interested in free agent center Brad Miller and Bucks free agent center Kurt Thomas.

IversonIsKrazy
07-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I thought they should've kept Marvin. J-Smoove is the one they should be trading away.

Swashcuff
07-14-2010, 03:23 PM
meh

Swashcuff
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I thought they should've kept Marvin. J-Smoove is the one they should be trading away.

y because u want him on your team? That's my only reason why they should, I'd love him on my sixers.

Stunner
07-14-2010, 03:25 PM

wat lol

HOZ THE KNICK
07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
i see the hawks is trying to get everybody playing their natural position next yr

pg bibby
sg johnson
sf smith
pf horford
c shaq

Swashcuff
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
i see the hawks is trying to get everybody playing their natural position next yr

pg bibby
sg johnson
sf smith
pf horford
c shaq

Sounds good but and Josh IS a natural SF and Al IS a natural PF but Josh has proven that he's been more valuable to the Hawks as their PF. Especially last season.

Jays Claw
07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Why would the Hawks trade a young, talented player in Marvin Williams for Shaquille O'Neal? :confused:

blastmasta26
07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Marvin over Smith? Hell no, Smith is arguably their most valuable player.

S-Dot
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM

:no:

superabound
07-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Why would either team do this? Makes no sense, especially for the Hawks. Shaq in Atlanta will be a disaster. I'm really surprised he didn't go to Miami, and you would think that isn't going to happen now with them signing big Z.

what54!?
07-14-2010, 03:37 PM
shaq is 38, why do a S&T? I understand moving williams but for shaq?

*Silver&Black*
07-14-2010, 03:40 PM
The only reasons I see the Hawks doing this is:

1. Marvin's contract has I think 3 more years plus an option. We are dumping his contract to have more money to re-sign Horford.

2. We could sign Shaq with the MLE, but we trade Marvin for him and use the MLE on a wing defender.

I like Marvin, but he is playing 4th-5th option when he is on the court, so his talents is useless here. Cavs on the other hand could use him and he could finally break out.

The thing that has to work for this is Josh Smith playing SF, or Shaq coming off the bench.

h2r09
07-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Atlanta really does need to do some maneuvering to be a contender but this move would be dumb. Marvin WIlliams could be a real good player in this league in the right situation, he just has never put it all together. The guy they need to trade is Bibby and maybe J. Smith if they get good value for him and a young Center. Maybe if they could trade something like J. Smith for Brook lopez i can see that being really good for both teams.

kjdills13
07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
shaq is old but look at his stat line! he is still a force he can still DEMAND A DOUBLE TEAM. He is still HUGE. Shaq Smith and horford would OWN the glass!!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shaquille_oneal/

he can still be a GREAT big man in the NBA people say he is done but how many centers in the nba can get you 12 points 6 boards and 1 block in 20 minutes. that is Good production. Williams did not use shaq enough in the playoffs. In the playoffs shaq can play 30 min and get you 18, 9, and `1.5

MagicBucsSox
07-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Why would the Hawks trade a young, talented player in Marvin Williams for Shaquille O'Neal? :confused:

Marvin williams has talent?
they get shaq because they think he's gonna stop Dwight to help atl beat orl, WILT himself couldnt make up that differnce

IversonIsKrazy
07-14-2010, 03:59 PM
hahaha, what I meant was J-Smoove is the better player. But with Shaq, they should move Horford to his natural position which is PF. Then trade away J-Smoove for a legit PG to be a good team

Ragun
07-14-2010, 04:01 PM

:pity:

hvg
07-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Marvin's junk. I'm a hawks fan and watch him show glimpses of talent every year but COMPLETELY disappear most of the time. I really don't think he can be more than a role player.

Shaq really fills a need for the hawks. The hawks see themselves as a 3/4 seed in the eastern conference and they're not getting out of the 2nd round without a big body. I know they don't really have a chance anyway, but Shaq gives them a better shot at it than Marvin.

I think the biggest key would be allowing Horford to play at his natural position. If you've seen Al play consistently, he has the potential to be a top 5 PF if he's not going up against 7 footers every night. With a PF defending him, you could really get the ball to him more and establish him as a post-presence.

dnewguy
07-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Marvin is a cancer, he does not have any impact positively for the Hawks.

Tony_Starks
07-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Marvin has a bad contract and he's not a difference maker in the slightest. At times you don't even know he's on the court, especially in the playoffs!

Plus they need big man depth and a low post threat which they are lacking.

IMO its a good move for the Hawks. Now they have to decide what they're going to do at the point spot. Bibby is not going to cut it, he should be in a solid back-up role. They need to go younger and more athletic at the point.

Jon23815
07-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Who knows? Maybe Marvin Williams can finally break out because hes finally not a 4th or 5th option.

*Silver&Black*
07-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Now they have to decide what they're going to do at the point spot. Bibby is not going to cut it, he should be in a solid back-up role. They need to go younger and more athletic at the point.

Jeff Teague is what we are hoping for.

Kingdre619
07-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I thought they should've kept Marvin. J-Smoove is the one they should be trading away.:bs:

thats funny, seeing how smith averaged 6 more points, 4 more rebs, .5 more stls, 1.3 more blocks, in just 4 more mins than williams :punish

TheWrightStuff5
07-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I'd try to get a little more for Marvin based on his "upside". I don't know how much value he has though because I don't think he is ever going to reach that potential. He has flashes but he doesn't look like he's going to put it all together. Maybe a different system can help him.

Melo15
07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
I like this move for both sides. The Cavs could use someone like Marvin Williams to add some young talent to their team and Shaq could help the Hawks battle the bigger teams in the conference like the Magic.

GodsSon
07-14-2010, 06:12 PM
If Marvin is on the block, BC needs to get on the phone with ATL

*Silver&Black*
07-14-2010, 06:27 PM
If Marvin is on the block, BC needs to get on the phone with ATL

Oh, so the Raps have a starting Center?

JOSKOMANG4
07-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I love this trade idea!

Maybe Cleveland can make another trade as well! Nets acquire Jamison from Cavs in exchanged for J.Boone(c-Expiring) & SF/SG T.Williams(With James,Outlaw, & morrow, Williams becomes expendable

C: Anderson Varejao/J.Boone
PF: J.J. Hickson/Leon Powe/#Jawad Williams
SF: M.Williams/T.Williams/Jamrio Moon
SG: Anthony Parker/Delonte West/Danny Green
PG: Mo Williams/Daniel Gibson/Sebastian Telfair

Hawks:

C: Shaq/Zaza Pachulia
PF: Al Horford/Josh Smith
SF: Marvin Williams/Maurice Evans
SG: Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford/Jordan Crawford
PG: Mike Bibby/Jeff Teague

hgtiger32
07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I love this trade idea!

Maybe Cleveland can make another trade as well! Nets acquire Jamison from Cavs in exchanged for J.Boone(c-Expiring) & SF/SG T.Williams(With James,Outlaw, & morrow, Williams becomes expendable

C: Anderson Varejao/J.Boone
PF: J.J. Hickson/Leon Powe/#Jawad Williams
SF: M.Williams/T.Williams/Jamrio Moon
SG: Anthony Parker/Delonte West/Danny Green
PG: Mo Williams/Daniel Gibson/Sebastian Telfair

Hawks:

C: Shaq/Zaza Pachulia
PF: Al Horford/Josh Smith
SF: Marvin Williams/Maurice Evans
SG: Joe Johnson/Jamal Crawford/Jordan Crawford
PG: Mike Bibby/Jeff Teague

Dude, Terrence Williams is going to be a stud. Crazy athletic and young. No way in the world the Nets trade T-Will.

but overall in response to this I think if the Cavs do this they are at least a bit more of a respectable team with Marvin Williams.

Klivlend
07-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Make it happen Cavs. It is about damn time you guys did something

pebloemer
07-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh, so the Raps have a starting Center?

3 way deals could be possible, but no, we just have a collection of PF's ;).

Regarding the possible deal. I actually really like Shaq on Atlanta. I think they could use his personality on the team and I really like the big man lineup of Shaq, Horford and Smith. They could dominate inside. Works well with Johnson and Crawford to spread the floor too.

Marvin Williams just doesn't seem to fit in Atlanta as well anymore. If the Hawks can't afford to sign Shaq upright, the deal makes sense for both sides IMO.

IndyRealist
07-15-2010, 12:13 PM
The Hawks were exposed in the playoffs for their lack of size. Even in the unlikely event they manage to get out of the East, they still have to go up against the Lakers and their 3 seven footers.

Marvin Williams got overpaid, and now Atlanta's looking to correct that mistake. Good for them. I'm not sure why anyone would want Marvin.

JordansBulls
07-16-2010, 12:37 AM
I'd rather Shaq go to a team like the Spurs.

michelangelo
07-16-2010, 12:44 AM
The numbers are irrelevant and his size is now a liability rather than an asset.

Shaq used to be ridiculously nimble and agile for his size, but now he's one of the slowest guys up and down the floor in the league. He's very inconsistent, and clogs the paint making it more difficult for younger slashers to do what they do best.

He also tends to demand touches and slows the offense down even in a half court game.

Aside from being a box office attraction, Shaq is capable of doing more harm than good: Phoenix and Cleveland should have offered evidence enough.

shaq is old but look at his stat line! he is still a force he can still DEMAND A DOUBLE TEAM. He is still HUGE. Shaq Smith and horford would OWN the glass!!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shaquille_oneal/

he can still be a GREAT big man in the NBA people say he is done but how many centers in the nba can get you 12 points 6 boards and 1 block in 20 minutes. that is Good production. Williams did not use shaq enough in the playoffs. In the playoffs shaq can play 30 min and get you 18, 9, and `1.5

*Silver&Black*
07-16-2010, 01:05 AM
3 way deals could be possible, but no, we just have a collection of PF's ;).

Well, we did too (and still have our 2 best players play that position.).;)

I would like to see Marvin get a better role and Raps would be a good match. But I don't see anything that the Hawks would want (maybe J Jack, but that's if we get rid of Bibby). Our #1 need is big guys to match-up with Howard.

Shaq can get people to the games still and could be a bench guy until we need him for the playoffs. We are one of the best teams in the league during the regular season, but playoffs, just like every team that doesn't have size down low, gets smashed.

OA SLAY
07-16-2010, 01:54 AM
should throw in Jamison for Bibby aswell

JordansBulls
07-17-2010, 08:09 PM
should throw in Jamison for Bibby aswell

Why? Who would the Hawks have for PG?