PDA

View Full Version : The Rangers Have Called About Simon Gagne

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Update:11:16AM:

Pierre LeBrun tweets that Simon Gange has been given permission to talk directly to teams, but doesn’t have a deal yet.

Original Post:

According to Chuck Gormley of the Courier Post, the Rangers are one of three teams believed to have called the Philadelphia Flyers about Simon Gagne.

Gagne, with his $5.25 million salary, is the most likely trade candidate for the Flyers who, according to CG, are about $2.5 million over the salary cap right now.

The Kings and Maple Leafs are believed to have also called about the 30-year-old sniper.

…The Kings have to be the best option for the Flyers, who probably don’t want to see Gagne four or six times a season. LA, though, won’t do anything until they know what is going on with Ilya Kovalchuk.

Last week, there was a rumor that the Flyers could put Gagne on waivers.

…Which is where Toronto comes in, since they have the second spot for waivers.

Over the weekend, Larry Brooks wrote that the Rangers will have interest in Gagne if they don’t sign Kovalchuk.

…Well, they aren’t signing Kovalchuk, it would seem…. a

nyr1980
07-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Id take Gagne in a heartbeat if they cant land another, bigger player and if the price is not too high. Probably can get him one up for a prospect or maybe prospect and a pick or prospect or pick and a player off the roster. Either way though, any deal for gagne would require a salary dump some other way as philly can't take back any money. Think they'll really trade him within the division though?

bsi
07-14-2010, 02:02 PM
He fits our money situation better but he's definately a downgrade from Kovalchuk. I still think he's a better player than he's been in Philly though. I'd take him if we aren't making any more moves that this would cancel. Hopefully his concusion problems don't resurface though, he's only 30 now, so barring another injury he's still got a good 5-7 years left in him.

Rangers in 7
07-14-2010, 02:21 PM
id take him, hes a great goal scorer and would solidify our second line

liltedspop
07-14-2010, 02:36 PM
he's also 1 concussion away from eating through a straw no thanks let him go to the Kings.

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 02:40 PM
he's also 1 concussion away from eating through a straw no thanks let him go to the Kings.

Idt philly would trade him to us anyway. LTP anymore news on kovy?

SLY WILLIAMS
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
We learned the hard way with 2 great players in the past how concussions are cumulative and are a nightmare once the problems start. I think Gagne is a very good player. I'm sorry he has had to battle these health issues.

bsi
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
We learned the hard way with 2 great players in the past how concussions are cumulative and are a nightmare once the problems start. I think Gagne is a very good player. I'm sorry he has had to battle these health issues.

Just a question, if a player like Gagne got here, then had a concussion he'd be put on the IR and it wouldn't count against our cap right? So maybe this would be the type of trade where we send Brashear to Philly so Philly saves enough money to get under the cap, we get a good hockey player who if he gets hurt won't kill us cap wise. I realize Philly is gonna want something other than Brashear so maybe Washingtons #2 pick? Is this enough I wonder? Philly wouldn't want to trade with us anyway, but this might rid of us Brashear.

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Just a question, if a player like Gagne got here, then had a concussion he'd be put on the IR and it wouldn't count against our cap right? So maybe this would be the type of trade where we send Brashear to Philly so Philly saves enough money to get under the cap, we get a good hockey player who if he gets hurt won't kill us cap wise. I realize Philly is gonna want something other than Brashear so maybe Washingtons #2 pick? Is this enough I wonder? Philly wouldn't want to trade with us anyway, but this might rid of us Brashear.

You have a good point, but i think id rather go with Stempniak or trade for Neal.. Gagne wouldnt be a terrible aquisition tho, i dont see us getting kovalchuk so we have to have another plan.

bsi
07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Ya, Stepniak I'd take but I really think Neal's play has been elevated by Richards, and I think if he moves away from him whoever gets him is gonna be disappointed IMO.

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Ya, Stepniak I'd take but I really think Neal's play has been elevated by Richards, and I think if he moves away from him whoever gets him is gonna be disappointed IMO.

What if we traded for richards and neals rights? Or robeiro and neals rights...

bsi
07-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Richards, now we're talkin...Neal, Richards Gaborik as a first line, lookin good. One of those guys might have to try Right wing for it to work though.

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Richards, now we're talkin...Neal, Richards Gaborik as a first line, lookin good. One of those guys might have to try Right wing for it to work though.

Gaborik played mostly right wing last year... Uhm what do you think it will take to get neal and richards?

bsi
07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
My guess is that if we throw an offer sheet at Neal, Dallas won't be wanting anything to do with trading players with us, lol. But if we're talking about trading for Richards, I'd think it would take Dubinsky, Rosival (for cap Reasons) and maybe Chad Johnson?? I know it maybe sounds crazy to be trading him, but I really don't think he's getting much ice time here in the next three or four years. Dallas could use a goalie with them seemingly not resigning Turco.

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 04:21 PM
My guess is that if we throw an offer sheet at Neal, Dallas won't be wanting anything to do with trading players with us, lol. But if we're talking about trading for Richards, I'd think it would take Dubinsky, Rosival (for cap Reasons) and maybe Chad Johnson?? I know it maybe sounds crazy to be trading him, but I really don't think he's getting much ice time here in the next three or four years. Dallas could use a goalie with them seemingly not resigning Turco.

Ok i would have no problem trading johnson, especially bc like you said hes a good prospect that wont have a spot on this team for the foreseeable future, and by the team we could use a goalie Stajcer looks to be a good prospect too. Idk about the offer sheet though, if we send one that will be good for us, dallas could most likely match it.

Isca92
07-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Dallas has Kari Lehtonen and they just drafted Campbell I don't think they are looking for another goalie.

Bleeds MSG
07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Simone is softer than those NASA mattresses they have at Brookstone. I'd pass on him - plus the chances the Flyers give him up to a big time rival team are zero unless his health problems are even worse than we think. Considering he hasnt played a full season in 3 years (I think) those concerns are prob spot on.

runnermjr1296
07-14-2010, 06:22 PM
see Pat LaFontaine and Eric Lindross.

nyr1980
07-14-2010, 08:28 PM

I assume you refer to Lindros and Hall of Famer PAa LaFontaine? If so spot on- I think Lafontaine got robbed of his career more so than Lindros- his numbers when healthy were ridiculous- he had a pretty severe knee injury too that cost him basically a full season and then part of another

SLY WILLIAMS
07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
I assume you refer to Lindros and Hall of Famer PAa LaFontaine? If so spot on- I think Lafontaine got robbed of his career more so than Lindros- his numbers when healthy were ridiculous- he had a pretty severe knee injury too that cost him basically a full season and then part of another

Yes I was thinking of both those guys. I also thought of former NY Jet Al Toon. Post concussion syndrome can be really hard on guys even when not playing.

By the way Pat Lafontaine may be the only player to only play for 3 teams in the NHL and never have to change his license plates. Good trivia question there. :)

liltedspop
07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
The only brother's who were worse at taking a head shot than the Lindros brothers were the Kennedy brothers. But I always thought what kid of #'s Eric would have put up if not for his head & Lafontaine too the guy was a great player& always under rated. Patty had 1013 pts. in 865 games & Eric had 865 in 760 games. My guess is at least another 500 points easily & that would have put him into the top 20 all time leading scorers. IMO the guy is a sure fire hall of famer anyway. He was the dominant player of his era imo.

NYR_NYJ
07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Speaking of head shots, I'll always remember seeing this one.

Messier on Modano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yxLlZkknv0

liltedspop
07-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Speaking of head shots, I'll always remember seeing this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yxLlZkknv0

the best color guy to ever pick up a mic Sal "the red light" Messina was doing that game with Sam Rosen that night!!!! The RED LIGHT was a great announcer & he lived 2 blocks away form me when I was a kid growing up in Queens. He got me & my brother so many autographs & got us in to meet so many players when we were kids I cant even begin to tell you how many autographs he would bring home for all the kids in the neighborhood. The guy is solid gold & imo the best radio announcer of all time.

NYR_NYJ
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Cool story
Red light is great.

Isca92
07-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Here's an interesting article about Gagne's history.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2010/7/15/1570740/buyer-beware-simon-gagnes-injury