PDA

View Full Version : Why do the Nets get no respect on here?

RandyOreens
07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
People claiming the Nets will be the worst team in the east again...
I doubt any of you watched Nets games beacause they were never on national TV.
Last year the Nets were hit with Injuries to start the year.
The nets had the worst bench in the league that lost them each game.
Tony Battie- Didnt play at all
Josh Boone- Possibly the worst Center in the NBA
Keyon Dooling- Good pg but this season was injuried after coming off a hip surgery.
Trenton Hassell- Not good at all
Jarvis Hayes- Could only shoot the 3
Bobby Simmons- Was benched from dec to the end of season
Chris Quinn- Doesnt belong in the NBA
Those players are now off the team.

After the Nets fired Frank in Decemeber after going 0-17 by the way losing 3 buzzer beaters in that time. They knew they wouldnt make it to the playoffs so instead of hiring a new coach they hired Kiki Vandeweghe who never coached a game in his life and you could tell had no idea what he was doing. His line ups were awful, had no monivation, no emotion.
We now hired the head coach with the highest winning % in the history of the NBA. Avery Johnson a man who led the Dallas Mavericks to the finals a former coach of the year, our assistant coach is also a former coach of the year Sam Mitchell.

Now the Nets just drafted Derrick Favors who will work well with Brook Lopez and Damion James *Who dropped 30 in a Summer League game and averaged 24 a game.

The current roster
Pg Devin Harris *former all star* Jordan Farmar *backup to back to back champions Lakers.*
Sg- Courtney Lee *started on the Orlando Magic team that went to the finals in 2009* Terrence Williams April's rookie of the month. And Anthony Morrow the shooting machine, possibly the best shooter in the league.
SF Travis Outlaw *Good player* Damion James going to be a good player* Quinton Ross
PFDerrick Favors *Number 3 in the draft can rebound and will work well with Brook Lopez. Kris Humphries improved this year when traded to the Nets came up in some big spots.
C Brook Lopez * Will be an all star will probably average 20 & 10* Johan Petro * Not great but decent backup*

I just find it funny when people who didnt watch each Net game think they know what they are talking about. We now have a bench and a good starting lineup. People say we are stupid to have traded away CDR and Yi. CDR never did anything he can shoot but plays no D and is very week. Yi was the turn over machine and VERY WEEK. He would not catch a pass and couldnt shoot. No consistent at all!
I think the Nets will make the playoffs this year, I believe they can be the OKC of the EAST.

GSW Hoops
07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
They'll get respect when they start winning games. Plain and simple.

thenetslegend
07-14-2010, 01:15 PM
i doubt we are making the playoffs this year but we will be alot better from last year

LTS
07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I love nets young pieces especially Lopez but gotta earn respect first with W's

jrodmesche
07-14-2010, 01:19 PM
to be honest i dont know how yall would have lost all those games with devin harris, Brook Lopez, Keyon Dooling, Courtney Lee. But I think yall are going to contend for a playoff spot this year. It had to be injuries last year.

Jetsguy
07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
hard to ask for respect coming off one of the worst years in NBA history no? I dont care what "young pieces" you have win some games or at least be looking at .500 before you get respect

dnewguy
07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Respect for what?

knickfan4life
07-14-2010, 01:26 PM
nets have a great young core, favors, lopez, harris, and those pick ups you guys just got are special, young raw talent so they can all grow together under a coach like urs, u cud b dangerous in a few seasons, but right now, come on man, you had 12 wins, we had like 20 or 30, we dont get respect til we win a few games lol even then, unless u win a series in the playoffs, u dont get any respect

97NYer
07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I was baffled at their record last year. Harris was coming off of an amazing season and Lopez was a young stud. I think they will be a 7th or 8 seed I really do.

Jack Daniels
Earn it then we'll talk...

Sixerlover
It's hard to give a team respect when they only won 12 games. You can use injuries as a cop out, but every team deals with injuries every year, and only one team in the history of the league had more losses in a season. They added Favors (who is already seen as a big project), Farmar and Outlaw to a 12 win team, and you expect us to crown them 30+ extra wins and a playoff spot?

No sir. I have to see it to believe it.

Thisisouryear!!
07-14-2010, 01:28 PM
to be honest i dont know how yall would have lost all those games with devin harris, Brook Lopez, Keyon Dooling, Courtney Lee. But I think yall are going to contend for a playoff spot this year. It had to be injuries last year.

Not really they just sucked.

redzone11
07-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, you won't get respect anymore with Billy King as your GM.

thenetslegend
07-14-2010, 01:29 PM
you have to be a fan of the bandwagon teams to get respect. thats all.

pebloemer
07-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Keyon Dooling- Good pg but this season was injuried after coming off a hip surgery.

After the Nets fired Frank in Decemeber after going 0-17 by the way losing 3 buzzer beaters in that time. They knew they wouldnt make it to the playoffs so instead of hiring a new coach they hired Kiki Vandeweghe who never coached a game in his life and you could tell had no idea what he was doing. His line ups were awful, had no monivation, no emotion.
We now hired the head coach with the highest winning % in the history of the NBA. Avery Johnson a man who led the Dallas Mavericks to the finals a former coach of the year, our assistant coach is also a former coach of the year Sam Mitchell.

Now the Nets just drafted Derrick Favors who will work well with Brook Lopez and Damion James *Who dropped 30 in a Summer League game and averaged 24 a game.

The current roster
Pg Devin Harris *former all star* Jordan Farmar *backup to back to back champions Lakers.*
Sg- Courtney Lee *started on the Orlando Magic team that went to the finals in 2009* Terrence Williams April's rookie of the month. And Anthony Morrow the shooting machine, possibly the best shooter in the league.
SF Travis Outlaw *Good player* Damion James going to be a good player* Quinton Ross
PFDerrick Favors *Number 3 in the draft can rebound and will work well with Brook Lopez. Kris Humphries improved this year when traded to the Nets came up in some big spots.
C Brook Lopez * Will be an all star will probably average 20 & 10* Johan Petro * Not great but decent backup*

I just find it funny when people who didnt watch each Net game think they know what they are talking about. We now have a bench and a good starting lineup. People say we are stupid to have traded away CDR and Yi. CDR never did anything he can shoot but plays no D and is very week. Yi was the turn over machine and VERY WEEK. He would not catch a pass and couldnt shoot. No consistent at all!
I think the Nets will make the playoffs this year, I believe they can be the OKC of the EAST.

I've heard fans of a few cities make that statement and I'd have to say. It sounds quite insulting to OKC. I don't think people realize how good they really were.

That being said, Eastern Conference looks quite unpredictable this season. You'd have to consider Miami, Orlando, Boston, Chicago and Atlanta as playoff bound. Milwaukee should really be considered in that group too. That only leaves playoff seeds 7-8 and high hopes from many franchises (Indiana, New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Charlotte). 7th seed can be had by anyone, but I'm not sure how the Nets are set apart from any other teams with their sights set on it.

rapjuicer06
07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
cuz they suck...moving on...

RandyOreens
07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Like the owner said, Why grab free agents like NY did when playoffs 8th spot is all you want to get. Nets wanted a chance at a championship why go to the playoffs and fail? You have to wait till the right time instead of wasteing cap on free agents like Amare.

Pistol_Pete
07-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah the Nets probably should have been better last year, but they weren't. They almost had the worst season in the history of the NBA. That's why people are down on the Nets, whether that's fair or not is another story.

I'm also not sold on Favors. The draft isn't what it used to be. A top five pick used to be as close to a guaranteed all-star you could get Now picks are based on potential, and potential just isn't going to cut it.

I also think that most people assume that any team who didn't get a big free agent will just be the same next year.

The addition of Avery Johnson alone is going to bring some wins. But let's be honest here, he only coached 4 seasons, one of which wasn't a full season. Yes he technically is the winningest coach in the NBA, but that's really just a sales tool.

The short answer is history. Once the Nets win, people will respect them more. And I can guarantee that once they move to Brooklyn people will see them in a new light (sorry).

slyone_nyc
07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
I was baffled at their record last year. Harris was coming off of an amazing season and Lopez was a young stud. I think they will be a 7th or 8 seed I really do.

1 miami 2 orlando 3 chicago 4 boston 5 (surprise) milwaukee 6 hawks 7 knicks 8 charlotte the NETS will finish no better than 10th seed, sorry dude...

Pierzynski4Prez
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
because they only won 12 games. That's why.

BALLER R
07-14-2010, 01:43 PM
no they just suckkkkkkkkkk....lol jkz
i actually like alot of your players.
those guys can come to the raptor anytime they want
but i think their just missing that all-star r superstar player to get them goin again
after losing kidd and jefferson couple years back they will be back in the playoffs soon not next year tho, but couple years give that core a chance to grow and they will be a pretty good team

nycclipse110
07-14-2010, 01:43 PM
the nets arent anything close to good.

8kobe24
07-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Because it's New Jersey, to most people you will always be in the shadows of the Knicks. And the 12 game season does not command respect regardless of your roster changes. Lastly, NJ failed to get lebron.

J-Relo
07-14-2010, 01:44 PM
1. Because of the last year??
2. They didn't add any big name.
3. Favors is a rookie, Morrow is a great addition - we have to wait to see them play.

Jack Daniels
07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Did you expect everyone to all of a sudden agree with you and say you're right we should respect the Nets? Boy that backfired on you buddy...

RandyOreens
07-14-2010, 01:49 PM
No I didn't but I believe the Nets will prove you all wrong this year. I kind of think you agree with me and are mad about my points thats why you replyed.

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 01:52 PM
lol at this thread. They lost 70 games last year and missed out on all star FA's this off-season/end of thread

RandyOreens
07-14-2010, 01:55 PM
I would rather wait it out and see how the team does and not give out max deals to people like Ben Gordon and Villanueva because that earns you respect right?

mark1125
07-14-2010, 01:55 PM

It's called tanking. Good to see it didn't work.

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 01:57 PM
I would rather wait it out and see how the team does and not give out max deals to people like Ben Gordon and Villanueva because that earns you respect right?

Neither player got a max deal. 70 losses gets you no respect

magichatnumber9
07-14-2010, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

uws
I dont think anyone respects the pistons right now either...

jfreaky
Ummmmmm...because you are the Nets!!! You guys had the worst record in the NBA, lost two spots in the draft that cost you Wall and you have improved your roster with marginal talent

AND Avery Johnson? Are you kidding me? This dude rode Don Nelson's roster to a coach of the year trophy then proceeded to choke off the finals when up DECISIVELY and then got bounced out by the #8 seed like a year later!!! He is not a good coach and you will realize that in a couple of years.

You guys do have some nice young pieces to build on but that's all this year will be... a building block for the future.

I saw the Nets play live last year against the powerhouse (lol) Golden State Warriors in Oakland and the Nets were horrible, didn't even look like a pro team.

Just b glad you have a rich owner who is looking to improve the squad. But playoffs...don't bet your money on it and that is a tip coming straight from Vegas!!!

ldc62
07-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Get more than 12 wins first

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 01:59 PM

What have the Knicks done in the last 10 years? lol :facepalm:

VinceCarter
07-14-2010, 02:01 PM
lol at this thread. They lost 70 games last year and missed out on all star FA's this off-season/end of thread

Says the Pistons fan. Stop hating. Seriously, that is the only way to put it. You could give some constructive criticism if you had the knowledge or you could just hate on them because the only thing you know about them is their old record. :pity:

uws
What have the Knicks done in the last 10 years? lol :facepalm:

the pistons made terrible moves.

we made tons of those, but luckily not in a while. we are on the road to improving. No one should respect us either. I never said they should. But at least we are growing while the pistons are falling apart

mark1125

Not sure what they have to do with the discussion, but at least the Pistons have won a title, went to the finals another time, and been to the conference finals how many years in a row?

Fail :facepalm:

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 02:02 PM

We are one of only seven teams to win an NBA title in the last 25 years. (3 during that time). I feel pretty good about our place in the NBA.

Geargo Wallace
cuz they almost lost a record amount of games last year

Statik1
They see me trolllllin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7goZUYGXAHA
:facepalm:

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 02:03 PM
the pistons made terrible moves.

we made tons of those, but luckily not in a while. we are on the road to improving. No one should respect us either. I never said they should. But at least we are growing while the pistons are falling apart

It's called rebuilding.

uws
07-14-2010, 02:06 PM
It's called rebuilding.

i duno if signing two mediocre players to giant contracts is called rebuilding, but whatever you say :facepalm:

i brought it up because of the you gain respect by signing gordon and villenueva comment

Sixerlover
07-14-2010, 02:07 PM
It's called rebuilding.

Not with Hamilton, CV31, Gordon, and Maxiell's long contracts

VinceCarter
07-14-2010, 02:10 PM
i duno if signing two mediocre players to giant contracts is called rebuilding, but whatever you say :facepalm:

i brought it up because of the you gain respect by signing gordon and villenueva comment

Exactly why the Nets said no to giving Boozer more than the Bulls did. We would have signed a big name but not at that price for somebody who is not going to win us a championship.

So while people say we didn't sign a big name that is bad and good. Bad because we didn't get a team changer in Wade or LeBron but good we didn't overpay somebody like Bosh, Boozer, Lee, or JJ.

uws
07-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Exactly why the Nets said no to giving Boozer more than the Bulls did. We would have signed a big name but not at that price for somebody who is not going to win us a championship.

So while people say we didn't sign a big name that is bad and good. Bad because we didn't get a team changer in Wade or LeBron but good we didn't overpay somebody like Bosh, Boozer, Lee, or JJ.

you didnt sign players because no one was interested... not because you didnt want to. Those are unrelated situations. the pistons got guys because they thought they were just a few pieces away (obv were wrong). You guys needed so much and got nothing at all, and as it stands are still essentially the same 12 win team as last year.

FarOutIos
07-14-2010, 02:13 PM

The current roster

The changes that your team made ARE NOT that great. The only real plus is the draft pick. The players you got rid of were mostly just young, and still had time to improve on the aspects that you mentioned.

I will agree, though, that the team will be better this year. Their record was much worse than expected last year. But if you think you'll be close to a playoff spot, please let me know what team you think your team is better than and show me the comparison player by player.

Everyone can say we have this and that, but it's all about how good the team is compared to their competition for the playoff spot.

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Not with Hamilton, CV31, Gordon, and Maxiell's long contracts

With all the money spent on FA this offseason. All these contracts became much better

Maxiell - 5 mill
Hamilton 12.5 mill
Gordon - 10.5 mill
Villanueva - 6.5 mill

I don't have a problem with any of these contracts. Go look up all the money spent so far on crap players this off-season. Say what you want. Detroit will have a good team within 3 years. Unlike most teams that rebuild for 10+ years. I'm honestly not worried about our future. I actually like the fact we are building a new team. Once Hamilton and prince are gone, we will truly be taking the next step. You forgot to mention Stuckey, Daye, Jerebko, Monroe. We will be good sooner than later.

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd rather have Villanueva than Travis Outlaw. Outlaw's contract is very similar. The Nets through money around to role players. How did you guys get better?

Sixerlover
07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
With all the money spent on FA this offseason. All these contracts became much better

Maxiell - 5 mill
Hamilton 12.5 mill
Gordon - 10.5 mill
Villanueva - 6.5 mill

I don't have a problem with any of these contracts. Go look up all the money spent so far on crap players this off-season. Say what you want. Detroit will have a good team within 3 years. Unlike most teams that rebuild for 10+ years. I'm honestly not worried about our future. I actually like the fact we are building a new team. Once Hamilton and prince are gone, we will truly be taking the next step. You forgot to mention Stuckey, Daye, Jerebko, Monroe. We will be good sooner than later.

I think you confused rebuilding with retooling. A rebuild is dump all the long contracts, work with just young guys and go from there, a retool is changing from one group of vets who you think can compete ASAP to another group of vets.

I'd call paying CV31 and Gordon last year a retool move personally. But Stuckey, Jerebko and Monroe are talented. I'm not a big fan of Austin Daye

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I think you confused rebuilding with retooling. A rebuild is dump all the long contracts, work with just young guys and go from there, a retool is changing from one group of vets who you think can compete ASAP to another group of vets.

I'd call paying CV31 and Gordon last year a retool move personally. But Stuckey, Jerebko and Monroe are talented. I'm not a big fan of Austin Daye

Once Hamilton and Prince are gone we are rebuilding. Both are rumored to be moved before the season

fadedmario
07-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Daye is my favorite young Piston. He's gonna be good this year. He's been our best player in summer league.

tdunk21
07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
inspite of having a good PG and center, nets still sucked winning what..10 games?

RandyOreens
07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Knicks, Pistons and Nets are rebuilding. Nets and Knicks got rid of half their roster from last year. Pistons got a top draft pick and have players signed to big deals. We all deserve respect in the early 2000's Nets Knicks and Pistons were on top. Every 10 years it goes back to what it once was.

VinceCarter
07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
you didnt sign players because no one was interested... not because you didnt want to. Those are unrelated situations. the pistons got guys because they thought they were just a few pieces away (obv were wrong). You guys needed so much and got nothing at all, and as it stands are still essentially the same 12 win team as last year.

No. Boozer was interested in the Nets.

And :facepalm: for the bolded. We have a completely new roster. The only returning players are Harris, Lee, TWill, Humphries, and Brook. We dumped all of the bad contracts. We have added Favors, Damion James, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar, Travis Outlaw, and Johan Petro. The Nets have a solid lineup minus the PF spot. Favors is too raw to be starting at PF. We need somebody like Scola to come in and start for a season or two so Favors can mature.

Raoul Duke
07-14-2010, 02:31 PM
They should be better this year because management won't be actively trying to tank and get John Wall. Then again, maybe some other college player will have them pulling s'more head-scratchers instead of trying to put a competitive product on the floor.

plpfctn
07-14-2010, 02:31 PM
i respect the nets despite last year. i think they've done some good things this offseason. love avery johnson as a coach. he was the most important signing. they have talent but they need leadership. i think they'll challenge for a playoff spot this year, but will come up short. the worst is behind them.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-14-2010, 02:32 PM
It's probably because of that record last season. I for one think they will be 2 or 3 times as good as that this year. Not quite a .500 team, but once some pieces come into play, you guys will be looking nice. Just imagine if Mark Cuban didn't make the bonehead move of giving Devin Harris to you...

PrettyBoyJ
07-14-2010, 02:32 PM
They'll get respect when they start winning games. Plain and simple.

x2

Raoul Duke
07-14-2010, 02:34 PM

If you don't have any untouchable pieces, then you're rebuilding. Teams like SA and LA that have Bryants and Duncans can afford to retool. The rest of us have no choice in the matter.

MacFitz92
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
No respect? They were historically bad last year, they got more respect than they needed.

boolish
07-14-2010, 03:46 PM
maybe because they won 9 games last year?

Jon23815
07-14-2010, 04:14 PM
maybe because they won 9 games last year?
First off, get your facts straight buddy. 12.
Second, Nets went a whole year without a coach. Not to mention they didnt even watch tape. Even some high schools do that... What do you expect from a team with an injured point guard and a sophmore leading the team? Add the fact that they had probably the worst bench in the NBA which they completely revamped with solid role players. They can only get better and the record last year was completly unaccurate of what theyre capable off. I expect 35ish wins for them and maybe even 7th or 8th seed if they get lucky.

RaiderLakersA's
07-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I thought I heard that Morrow was going to the Nets. I was half asleep and the TV was on ESPN. Was I dreaming??? If this is true, good pick up. I like Morrow's game and he has tons of potential.

dtmagnet
07-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Because they almost set the record for fewest wins in a season.

SANDBURG23
07-14-2010, 05:02 PM

The current roster

Your record doen't ask for any respect. It actually says point at me a laugh or just ignore me.

D Roses Bulls
07-14-2010, 05:08 PM

The current roster

because when the colts, vikings, and saints win more games then the nets then they dont deserve no respect

Human FlameShld
07-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I thought they where a playoff team until I heard they hired Billy King...as a Sixers fan I feel sorry for the Nets

zambo4president
07-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Respect is earned. Being the worst team earns you 0 respect. Giving Travis Outlaw $7 Million a season gives you negative respect. If it were a point system I'd say the Nets are looking at about -8

vikingsfan0845
07-14-2010, 06:50 PM
why do the nets get no respect? because they went 12-70 last year.

JOSKOMANG4
07-15-2010, 11:12 AM
I love this posting!!!

The Nets will definitely turn it around this season! New Roster, New HC(Avery Johnson & his run-gun offense will thrive in NJ), & new stadium(Newark-roughly known as an urban area, will get the Prudential Center jam-packed every night)

Any room for improvement?? I believe so!!

If the Cavaliers become sellers, I say we make a move for A.Jamison(let rookie Favors study Jamison from the bench, so after Jamison's contract ends after 2 season's, Favors, who'll be 21, can take over the reigns!)

Offer to the Cavs: Humphries(PF-expiring), C J.Boone(C/PF-expiring), & SF/SG T.Williams( i know most nets fans are thinking WTF; but with the Nets drafting James and picking up OUtlaw & Morrow, Williams becomes expendable.)

Current Roster:

C: Brook Lopez/Johan Petro/^Josh Boone/B.Zoubek
PF: Derrick Favors/Kris Humphries
SF: Travis OUtlaw/Terrence Williams/Damion James
SG: Courtney Lee/Anthony Morrow/Quinton Ross
PG: Devin Harris/Jordan Farmar/B.UZoh

My Projected Roster:

C: Brook Lopez/Johan Petro/B.Zoubek(rookie)
PF: A.Jamison/Derrick Favors(rookie)/W.Chism(rookie)
SF: Travis OUtlaw/Damion James(rookie)
SG: Courtney Lee/Anthony Morrow/Quinton Ross
PG: Devin Harris/Jordan Farmar/B.Uzoh(rookie)

IMO.. if every1 stays healthy.. I say 45-48 win team; Possible between 6-8 seed in Eastern Conference.

uws
07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
because when the colts, vikings, and saints win more games then the nets then they dont deserve no respect

hahahahahaha

dimedrpr
07-15-2010, 05:45 PM

The current roster

First of all this thread is a joke. The Nets don't get respect because they challenged for the worst record of all time last year and they didn't add any of the top free agents this summer. That should be enough right there. As for everyone not seeing any Nets games last year; I have the league pass so sometimes I watched the Nets because it was like watching a train wreck. So awful, yet you can't turn away. They were f__king terrible! There is NO reason they should be getting any respect. Maybe if they win 30 plus games and look half way respectable this year then people won't dog them so much. Until then you shouldn't expect any less.

Also, you are telling us that CDR sucked and Yi sucked but if you would have wrote this up last year you would have been telling us how good they both were just like you are trying to convince us that Courtney Lee and Kris Humphries are good players. Johan Petro is F>>king awful by the way. There is nothing decent about his game.

BAMF
07-15-2010, 06:29 PM
While the Net may not be the best team in the NBA, they still have more loyal and great fans then the Heat. so sad.

VinceCarter
07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
hahahahahaha

Keep laughing at the Nets because soon you will not be able to do that.