PDA

View Full Version : Wade: Lakers Team To Beat, Not Heat.

J4KOP99
07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5378876

The Lakers are the champions and we know the Lakers are very good," Wade said Wednesday at a golf tournament he co-hosts with Alonzo Mourning. "That's the team that everyone's shooting for and they should be. Not the Miami Heat. The Los Angeles Lakers."

Possibly trying to take some pressure of his team...

Even after Wade signed a new six-year deal and had LeBron James and Chris Bosh added to the Miami mix, the 2006 NBA Finals MVP says the two-time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers should be the favorites heading into next season, simply because this Heat team hasn't proved anything yet.

dnewguy
07-14-2010, 11:29 AM
What did you expect him to say?

Cbast09
07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
All the real Heat fans know this. I doubt anyone one of us would argue that. I for one never said the Heat were the team to beat. The Lakers are the champions until proven otherwise.

This going to be another bash on the Heat thread.

mjt20mik
07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Gotta love Wade.

clehmun
07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Wade's right. to come out and say it is showing class, but also taking pressure off his team.

J4KOP99
07-14-2010, 11:35 AM
There's no need to turn this into a "bash on the heat" thread. But, for those of you who are saying, what else is he supposed to say... look what LeBron did. LeBron came out and gauranteed multiple championships.

You can already tell who the leader on the Heat is. Wade understands what needs to be done and when it is all said and done, I really think it will be LeBron who is thankful for having Wade and not vice-versa.

John408
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
thats right..the Lakers will still win it....the heat can't hang with the lakers....

Blake/Fisher will outplay Chalmers
Artest will shut down Lebron.
Kobe or Bell (if he signs) will shut down Wade
Odom/Gasol will shut down Bosh
Gasol/Bynum will shut down Ilgauskas/Haslem

Cbast09
07-14-2010, 11:44 AM
thats right..the Lakers will still win it....the heat can't hang with the lakers....

It begins...

Let's not get ridiculous. Lakers are better as of right now, but they won't run away with the series. If Boston can take LA to game 7 of the Finals, I'm sure Miami could. If the Celtics played the Lakers in Boston in Game 7, these talks of a 3-peat wouldn't be happening right now.

Who's going to shut down who? It will take an entire defense to stop the big 3. One player really can't shut down Wade or Lebron. They are that good. I said this before they went to the Heat, so don't say I'm saying this because I'm a Heat fan.

MacFitz92
07-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Considering the Lakers won the last two championships, and the Heat haven't played a game together yet, it's fairly obvious the Lakers are the team to beat for now.

J4KOP99
07-14-2010, 11:48 AM

First off, nobody is "shutting down" LeBron. Artest is big enough to cover him well but don't think that he will hold LeBron to 15 pts, 6 rebs and 3 assts every game.

I don't understand the Kobe will shut down Wade argument. This could easily be argued the other way. Players like Kobe, Wade, LeBron and Durant don't get "shut down." Nobody can truly guard these guys. Some can cause them problems but to say the Lakers will win because they can shut down arguably the two best players in the game is foolish.

I do agree the Lakers big men is what should be the prevailing factor if they do win. Gasol and Bynum can actually, "shut down" Bosh.

If you look at both rosters, you would have to say the Lakers are deeper and way more experienced but to say the Lakers will just "shut-down" these guys is crazy.

Reddd
07-14-2010, 11:51 AM

No need for that, why post these biased comparisons.
The Lakers sure are the team to beat and I like Wade for saying that, it is Wade's team because he's a class act.

amoore87
07-14-2010, 11:51 AM

exactly

Jays Claw
07-14-2010, 11:55 AM

RaiderLakersA's
07-14-2010, 11:58 AM

For the bazillionth time, it's not about what the Heat or any other team in the NBA does. It's about what the Lakers do to get better as a team. If we improve, our chances of keeping the crown improves.

As for Wade's statement, it was a respectful and responsible declaration. We knew that eventually his leadership as the only champion on the team will have to carry more weight than the euphoria of Bosh, who has never really played on a team that has gone deep into the playoffs, or James, who sometimes across as more arrogant than accomplished. It's good that the Heat have Wade at the helm. Steady as she goes...

Chacarron
07-14-2010, 11:58 AM

J4KOP99
07-14-2010, 11:59 AM

You never know. Look at what LeBron has said so far. Didn't he gaurantee 7+ championships...

It just seems like Wade understands what has to be done while LeBron has just barely begun to figure it out.

uws
07-14-2010, 11:59 AM
he is just trying to be modest and take pressure off his team

he knows that his team has so much talent that they have no excuse to lose ever. If they dont win a ring, they failed. It is very yankee esk. However, the yankees always come out and say that it is win or bust, we never try to cover it up by saying someone else is better

wade just looks like a b itch because he wont man up and say we are the most talented team around and we are the team to beat.... man up wade

97NYer
07-14-2010, 12:00 PM

Gasol is key in this matchup. Kobe and Artest will struggle scoring against Wade/Bron. Gasol/Bosh is fairly equal so when Pau goes against Z or Haslem he has to dominate.

MiamiLoyal926
07-14-2010, 12:07 PM

lol:laugh:lol

The heat CAN hang with the lakers and you fail to realize that wade and lebron are two of the best defenders at their relative positions and will give you troubles as well. Can I say there is bias in your comments? IMO there is no clear cut winner in a best of seven between Miami and LA.

Frezhnitz
07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Yes, Lakers are the team to beat.

Frezhnitz
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM

The heat CAN hang with the lakers and you fail to realize that wade and lebron are two of the best defenders at their relative positions and will give you troubles as well. Can I say there is bias in your comments? IMO there is no clear cut winner in a best of seven between Miami and LA.

It'll be an hard fought battle but I still give my Lakers an edge because of their low post game and length.

LionBryan
07-14-2010, 12:12 PM

Anyone who is assessing a team when the core has not played even 1 game together is foolish and should be ignored.

DWills
07-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Anyone who is assessing a team when the core has not played even 1 game together is foolish and should be ignored.

apparently u cant tho

thekmp211
07-14-2010, 12:16 PM
See guyz?? I told u that kobe wuz da best. Lebron is a jerk what a cowerd.
Lolz @ all heat fanz !!!!!!111

Iron24th
07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Wade's right. to come out and say it is showing class, but also taking pressure off his team.

This. But at least Wade is classy ,not like this clown LBJ who promises 7 titles :facepalm:

justinnum1
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Only going to have to here these lakers fan talk **** for a few more months. Kobe will go down in history with 5rings.

still1ballin
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Only going to have to here these lakers fan talk **** for a few more months. Kobe will go down in history with 5rings.

Please, the only **** talking has been all the "Miami Heat" fans for the past few weeks. Its been highly annoying.

(Notice I put quotation marks on MIAMI HEAT)

You get the picture

shep33
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Of course they are, LA has won back to back championships. But at the same time, I actually think the Heat will be more hated than the Lakers now.

If you ever watch the Lakers play against supposed crappy teams, those teams show up and play their best games against LA. Miami won't get it as tough as the Lakers do during the regular season cause they're in the east, but they'll be play against teams that really want to beat them.

justinnum1
07-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Please, the only **** talking has been all the "Miami Heat" fans for the past few weeks. Its been highly annoying.

(Notice I put quotation marks on MIAMI HEAT)

You get the picture

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Every thread on PSD except in the Heat forum is talking **** about the Heat.

Geargo Wallace
07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
What do you expect Wade to say lol

marlinsfan24
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Cue the Bulls fans to find a way to call Wade a classless jacka**.

LakersKB24
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Well, I call that being realistic... It's a fact that the defending champion is the team to beat, that's why they're called champions.
How can all the Heat fans be so sure that the Heat will win numerous rings without having seen them on court yet?
Same goes for all the ones who say that Miami won't win anything.
Let's all be a little patient and wait until the season starts before we talk about how many championships James, Wade and Bosh might win together...
Until then, the trophy is in LA and the other teams have to take it away from the Lakers.

Lakersho
07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
..like i've said before, d. wade is a class act. lebron spought'in the 7 rings stuff. d. wades doing damage control, because he knows lebron's mouth put a bigger bullseye on them than was needed... d.wade's been there , and you can tell lebrons clueless .

nycsports2
07-14-2010, 01:12 PM
wade is a real captain.. i love to hate him but its like people who hate on jeter kinda the same way i feel about wade

Tony_Starks
07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
damn straight they are!

LTS
07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Wade out-classing all the stupid media and fans once again

avrpatsfan
07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
No ****.

kobebabe
07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
It begins...

Let's not get ridiculous. Lakers are better as of right now, but they won't run away with the series. If Boston can take LA to game 7 of the Finals, I'm sure Miami could. If the Celtics played the Lakers in Boston in Game 7, these talks of a 3-peat wouldn't be happening right now.

Who's going to shut down who? It will take an entire defense to stop the big 3. One player really can't shut down Wade or Lebron. They are that good. I said this before they went to the Heat, so don't say I'm saying this because I'm a Heat fan.

IF, IF doesn't help. Everyone could use it but fact is.......Lakers won and not c's and fact is a 3 peat is at work and will happen! You can take that to the bank.............

heattiltheend94
07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Agree 100%. Do I think Heat better team, yes I do. But Lakers are proven, and have great team chem. For now, Lakers are deserve the title of best team (until proven otherwise).

8kobe24
07-14-2010, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5378876

The Lakers are the champions and we know the Lakers are very good," Wade said Wednesday at a golf tournament he co-hosts with Alonzo Mourning. "That's the team that everyone's shooting for and they should be. Not the Miami Heat. The Los Angeles Lakers."

Possibly trying to take some pressure of his team...

Even after Wade signed a new six-year deal and had LeBron James and Chris Bosh added to the Miami mix, the 2006 NBA Finals MVP says the two-time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers should be the favorites heading into next season, simply because this Heat team hasn't proved anything yet.

Translation: Don't shoot us, shoot them, then we'll shoot you.

uws
07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
wade just needs to sack up. when you stack your team like that, you are on the hot seat. dont just say stuff like this to divert attention. nut up and say ur ready to take down the best

David017
07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
way to take pressure off yourself and 2 other all stars...

hugepatsfan
07-14-2010, 01:50 PM
The Celtics have showed how to LIMIT Lebron. You need to make sure there is a good defender on him. Then you collapse the paint when he drives and force his perimeter shooters to beat you. Mo and Jamison didn't knock down shots, so he lost this year. Wade, while a great player, is not a knockdown spot up shooter. He is going to probably drive in off of a lot of those kickouts, so you need to be ready for that too. Bosh is talented, but you can limit him just by being physical because he isn't a tough guy.

This is obviously easier to write than do. Most people don't have the defensive ability to harrass Lebron or the basketball IQ to hide that you're collapsing the paint until the right moment.

LeGacy is Music
07-14-2010, 01:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Michael-Jordan-weighs-in-on-LeBron-James-and-Kob?urn=nba,255454

L@ker4Life
07-14-2010, 02:06 PM
It begins...

YOu're exactly right. Whoever said Artest will shutdown Lebron and Kobe/bell will shutdown wade is just .....ignorant.

There is no way to shut these guys down. You just have to make them work hard and shoot lower percentages.

The advantage for the Lakers is cohesion, defense, and bigs. We all know D and rebounding win chps....we shall see if it holds true this year.

I cant wait for the challenge. That is if we are both fortunate enough to make it to the finals.

L@ker4Life
07-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Agree 100%. Do I think Heat better team, yes I do. But Lakers are proven, and have great team chem. For now, Lakers are deserve the title of best team (until proven otherwise).

Better team??? You guys arent even a team until you step on the floor. You can say you think you have the better players, which I don't agree with, but you can't say you're the better team!

1,000 posts!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap:

Swashcuff
07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
He's talking 100 % TRUTH. They are the Best team in the league and they got better. Its true. There is no way shape or form anyone can debate this.

Wade_County
07-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Wade is right, The lakers are the defending champs and until they get dethroned, they are the team to beat.

still1ballin
07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Every thread on PSD except in the Heat forum is talking **** about the Heat.

You guys remind me of the Dallas fans last season after the All-Star game where they acquired Caron Butler. Those fans came into the NBA talking so much **** how they are the team to beat and how they are going to challenge the Lakers and as a result they did not even get out of the 1st round.

This is what I mean.

Frezhnitz
07-14-2010, 02:27 PM

More rings then your team combined. :facepalm:

what54!?
07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
he's right. the lakers are the defending two time champs, the heat haven't proven anythong yet

Right Round
07-14-2010, 02:37 PM
I think the Heat are the team to beat, honestly. If the Celtics were a few minutes away from winning the title, and this Miami team looks much better, Id expect Miami to win it all. The Celtics did it on their first try a few years ago, and I see Miami doing that now.

RaiderLakersA's
07-14-2010, 04:13 PM
I think the Heat are the team to beat, honestly. If the Celtics were a few minutes away from winning the title, and this Miami team looks much better, Id expect Miami to win it all. The Celtics did it on their first try a few years ago, and I see Miami doing that now.

You are assuming two constants.

Firstly, you're assuming that the Lakers will have the host of injuries that it had against the Celtics in this year's Finals. If Miami faces Kobe without his banged up knee, bruised ankles, and only-the-Devil-has-words-to-describe that finger injury, and with Bynum at anything close to even 75% health outlay on his knee, what then?

Secondly, no one saw the 2010 Celtics coming. There was no way to account for their high degree of coaching, sheer skill and the level of physicality. The 2010 Miami Heat, however, will catch no one by surprise. They are going to get the kitchen sink thrown at them.

Wade knows this. His comments served many purposes, redirecting enemy fire being one of them.

boolish
07-14-2010, 04:15 PM
this is textbook public relations management by dwade. he is taking the "heat" off of da heat.

CowboysKB24
07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
It is true. Wade is right. That is the way it is, the champs are the champs until they are beaten or knocked out of the playoffs. But this really doesn't change anything, Wade is just showing respect.

gbpackers12
07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I still <3 you, Dwayne. I just don't like your friends.

ElMarroAfamado
07-14-2010, 07:05 PM

oh my god shut the **** up
really
:facepalm:

ElMarroAfamado
07-14-2010, 07:06 PM
zone against the heat

h2r09
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
zone against the heat

then we have mike miller and mario chalmers and likely raja bell or another shooter as well and also lebron and d wade who can knock down shots.

Hawkeye15
07-14-2010, 08:26 PM

hahaha

ElMarroAfamado
07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
then we have mike miller and mario chalmers and likely raja bell or another shooter as well and also lebron and d wade who can knock down shots.

yeah i was just directing that at stopping lebrick
haha

:clap: