PDA

View Full Version : Kovalchuk meets with Kings, but not to sign (Are the Rangers going to make an offer?)

SLY WILLIAMS
07-14-2010, 11:07 AM
With Ilya Kovalchuk in California to visit the Kings, Lou Lamoriello gave his familiar response that nothing had changed in the Devils' pursuit of the free agent forward.

The GM then declined comment when asked if he believes Kovalchuk wants to stay in New Jersey.

New Devils coach John MacLean said he had not attempted to talk to Kovalchuk, although such a free agent might like to know the hockey philosophy and offensive strategy he would play under.

Kovalchuk's visit with the Kings was reported by the Los Angeles Times.

Kovalchuk was expected in Los Angeles on Sunday night for meetings Monday with Kings GM Dean Lombardi, who at least twice during negotiations has said his team was out of the running.

Contrary to other reports, Lombardi said Kovalchuk is not expected to sign during the trip.

"He is coming for a visit," Lombardi said, according to the Times. "It is a great opportunity for him to meet us and us to meet him. Reports of us signing him are utterly false."

The Times reports the meeting is taking place in El Segundo, Calif., and if a deal were close it would be at the team's offices in Los Angeles.

The Devils have been waiting since free agency began July 1 on Kovalchuk's response to their offer to stay with them. He reportedly also is being courted by KHL teams in Russia.

He and the Kings had not met face to face until today.

"The Kings reportedly have offered two deals: 12 years at $63 million and 13 years at $84.5 million. Kovalchuk turned those down because he wanted and Alexander Ovechkin-like $10 million per season," the report says.

"The Kings hope they can soon clinch the deal with terms they consider reasonable, maybe eight or nine years for about $8 million per year."

The Devils are thought to have improved their bid from $60 million over seven years to $100 million over 17. They would have to clear significant salary-cap space to keep Kovalchuk, but plan to do so if necessary.http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/nhlblog/kovalchuk_meeting_with_kings_today_3VZHW6BS5R5O50J vnqyuLN

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Is there any inkling other than LTP that there is a meeting set up between the rangers and kovalchuk and his people?

SLY WILLIAMS
07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Brooks article said Slats contacted them over the weekend but I havent heard of anything significant since then. I sure hope they do but 10 mill may be too much. 8 mill is fair. I could live with 9 mill but at some point all the teams are saying enough is enough so far. I can understand Kovys point of view that Atl offered him 10 mill last season so that is what he thinks he is worth

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Brooks article said Slats contacted them over the weekend but I havent heard of anything significant since then. I sure hope they do but 10 mill may be too much. 8 mill is fair. I could live with 9 mill but at some point all the teams are saying enough is enough so far. I can understand Kovys point of view that Atl offered him 10 mill last season so that is what he thinks he is worth

I read today that the rangers have been in contact with Demitra... would you take him on a one year deal worth 1.5 mil?? I mean if he sucks we could just place him on waivers and let the young guns come up, or if he is out played in camp so be it, but is upside is pretty good.

bsi
07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
I read today that the rangers have been in contact with Demitra... would you take him on a one year deal worth 1.5 mil?? I mean if he sucks we could just place him on waivers and let the young guns come up, or if he is out played in camp so be it, but is upside is pretty good.

I wouldn't, he gets injured too much and I'd rather leave a spot open for Stepan, Pashnin, Grachev, Kreider or Bourque than to have him on the payroll. IMO the only guys we should be adding at this point is elite young players. We have a great team coming up from the minors, no need to waste more money on aging injury prone vets.

Redfish
07-14-2010, 12:22 PM

It would be a decent back-up plan; low-cost, low-risk but with good upside if he could stay healthy. The Rangers don't have much to lose with that equation and there is a need for a true centerman. It also provides the benefit of allowing Dubinsky to stay as a left wing through the season. This is his natural position; he played his best hockey last year as a winger, and has yet to be given a whole season to play at left wing.

I think it's a decent back-up plan. Other than Stempniak, I'm not sure there are other quality centers available via free agency.

By the way, have you seen press reports that Gordie Clark thinks McIlrath has a shot at making the club this year? He equated it to Del Zotto last year. That seems like a leap, yet it at least gives a good indication the kid may be closer than we all originally thought. I'd be excited if he won a position on next year's team.

Bleeds MSG
07-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Personally I think there is a much better chance that McD makes this team than McIllrath.

Redfish
07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Personally I think there is a much better chance that McD makes this team than McIllrath.

That seems to be the consensus, and I have no reason to think otherwise. It was simply the first I heard Ranger brass talking about this possibility this year. Given we are weeks after the draft and prospect camp, it strikes me as a general, matter of fact comment from Clark. I think it's a great sign if he made that strong of an impression at prospects camp.

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't, he gets injured too much and I'd rather leave a spot open for Stepan, Pashnin, Grachev, Kreider or Bourque than to have him on the payroll. IMO the only guys we should be adding at this point is elite young players. We have a great team coming up from the minors, no need to waste more money on aging injury prone vets.

From what i heard, and am reading Kreider and borque are another year or two away, Pashin is a defenseman rightt?... and all i am saying is he would come cheap, and if stephan or grachev prove they can come up and are ready, But if not then there is no need to rush there development. I am not saying sign him to a kids spot, but if theyre not ready he is a guy with a lot of upside and it would help gaborik, and allow christensen or prospal to be on another line and add more depth to the offense.

mmmrevolver93
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
That seems to be the consensus, and I have no reason to think otherwise. It was simply the first I heard Ranger brass talking about this possibility this year. Given we are weeks after the draft and prospect camp, it strikes me as a general, matter of fact comment from Clark. I think it's a great sign if he made that strong of an impression at prospects camp.

Maybe him saying that is an indication that there will be a need for more bodies on blue line... perhaps because redden and rozsival wont be there.

commonsense12
07-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Personally i see no chance Kovie gets here. Now i have no proof otherwise, i am only going by the way the Rangers have acted. If Redden was being sent down, Kovie is on this team already. If Drury or Rozy were being traded, there would be more noise about them. All we heard was one rumor about Drury going to Calgary for god knows who. Honestly i just dont see it anymore.

To be clear i think this is the team we are going into the season with (plus Staal). I think the only question marks are which kids make the team. I think MZA, Grachev and maybe MCD. Other then that i dont see anyything major happening. I know that is not exciting and it will not cause many posts on this forum, but we are in cap hell and Sather is not showing the testicular fortitude to do anything about it. If he wakes up one day and realizes Redden in kiling this team, then something will happen, but i just dont see him admitting he was wrong.

nyr1980
07-14-2010, 01:12 PM
We've all jumped into the fray on the rangers possibly signing for kovalchuk or trading for someone like richards/spezza/thornton- I would have no objection to the rangers picking up any one of these guys for a reasonable price- you have to give to get. What I dont understand is that in all likelihood, picking up a star veteran in trade or free agency will mean this team gives up some of it's young talent either off the nhl roster or from the org or both- any move cuts into the youth movement so for anyone thinking this team can keep its complete young group intact and still pick up a big player thats just wishful thinking- no gm will take on one of their bad contracts without getting a young player/picks/prospects in a deal as well. Any big move the rangers make will cut into the youth movement- so I think its fair to say that if they are going young, than they will find it difficult to make any moves

nyr1980
07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Please, no Demitra. Even on a 1 year low money deal- really no point. Either go with the kids enirely or bite the bullet and trade a few to improve now.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Eklund now saying Kovy signs with Kings by Friday.

This feels like it folks..

One source told me by Friday...it will be over...possibly later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Last night the sides once again got together...some new ideas were discussed, some creative concepts led to actual progress.

Make no mistake, last night was about the King's owner and the Kovalchuk camp finally both "wanting a resolution." I think they both know they are right for each other and we will not be hearing another break-up story. Basically....well it feels real this time.

We can always dream I suppose.

More to come... http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/after-a-night-of-talksKovalchuk-to-KINGS-e4-seriously/1/29342

nyr1980
07-14-2010, 08:31 PM
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/after-a-night-of-talksKovalchuk-to-KINGS-e4-seriously/1/29342

After all of this, ill believe it when I see it

SLY WILLIAMS
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I know some people spoke about the Rangers possibly signing Demitra to play with Gabs but he signed a 1 year deal with the KHL

commonsense12
07-15-2010, 05:40 PM
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/after-a-night-of-talksKovalchuk-to-KINGS-e4-seriously/1/29342

Since he was right about the few beginning signings he is back to the old Eklund, not even close.

I am still waiting for his big Ranger move he said a few weeks ago lol.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Zipay also said a deal to Calgary was close 1-2 weeks ago but it seems to have died for now