PDA

View Full Version : Al Harrington to Nuggets for MLE

kblo247
07-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Marc Stein

ESPN.com sources: Nuggets win race to Al Harrington and have agreed to terms w/Harrington on five-year deal worth $34 million. Link on way

3 minutes ago from TweetDeck - twitter.com/stein_line_HQ

So much for him going to Dallas :laugh2:

They needed to replace Martin, but god I can't imagine the combined shot selection of Al and JR

Chacarron
07-14-2010, 01:20 AM
I like it for the Nuggets. Now they have JR and Al to take more bad shots.

JordansBulls
07-14-2010, 01:21 AM
Nuggets needed some more offense.

Mplsman
07-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah I thought he was Dallas bound. Oh well, nothing too special for the nugs.

dbronx42
07-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Good move for the Nuggets. Al Harrington will probably start and K-Mart will come off the bench to keep his legs fresh for the playoffs.

Al Harrington-Kenyon Martin

Nene-Birdman

That's some pretty solid depth for sure.

TheBay30
07-14-2010, 01:35 AM
When Al was on the Warriors, he was pretty good, when hes on fire he makes EVERYTHING, when he misses shots he has bad games. but pretty solid signing, not bad. He wont hurt the team.

RadiantShot
07-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Not sure how I feel about Al Harrington fitting in to Denver's system. Who knows.

arkanian215
07-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Fits well in an uptempo system. Good catch for a team trying to re-sign Melo.

RocketsRule
07-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Nuggets needed some more offense.

This.

Plus, once Martin and Andersen are back and 100% healthy, Harrington can be a valuable piece off the bench.

PlezPlayDKnicks
07-14-2010, 01:39 AM
I guarantee Melo will have a migraine prob if Al is in the starting lineup. The only thing AL is good at is what Melo does already 10 times better. He's a poor passer, reb, and has a low bball iq...

He will help score the ball if teams key in on Melo tho. But him and JR on the same team seems like an accident waiting to happen. But Al is a good guy. Just a goof on the court.

BkOriginalOne
07-14-2010, 01:55 AM
He will lose more games than he wins.

Hopefully the strong coaching and floor leadership in Billups makes Harrington stable.
Nugs needed some shooting from their frontcourt but as a fan of the club I can't say I'm thrilled.
Better get him than no one I guess.
Nugs better still be big hunting though.

tdunk21
07-14-2010, 01:55 AM
lmao mavs

shep33
07-14-2010, 01:57 AM
There aren't enough shots to go up for he and JR... I honestly don't get this for them, I don't think offense was there problem as much as defense, and if you give minutes to Harrington doesn't that mean less for Birdman or Martin, who are much better defenders and rebounders?

If they woulda somehow landed Brendan Haywood... they'd be hard to beat.

roshan3ai
07-14-2010, 02:00 AM
I didn't like him in NYC because he took way too many unnecessary shots, because of his fairly large role. In a limited role however, I think he can definitely be very effective. Good signing.

Do0msday
07-14-2010, 02:03 AM
I actually like this move for them. Yeah, he does take lots of bad shots, but when he's on fire he can put up great numbers. He fits their system, though he will probably steal a few shots from Melo. Either way it was something the Nuggets needed to do.

VinceCarter
07-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Do you think this means they will shop Birdman even more?

dbronx42
07-14-2010, 02:18 AM
Chauncey Billups will definitely let Al know that the bad shots need to be cut to a minimum. Now that he is actually playing for a playoff contending team i have no doubt Al will do what the team needs for us to win games.

Now if we can get Amundson or Brad Miller somehow this off season has become a success.

shep33
07-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Do you think this means they will shop Birdman even more?

That's the whole thing I don't get from this trade. They have Martin and Nene up front right? Now Al and Birdman off the bench. That basically means less minutes for Birdman or Martin who are 2 of their better rebounders/defenders.

I actually think they shoulda traded Smith to bring in a guy like Rip Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince... I know its a long shot, but with Harrington and Smith coming off the bench now, I mean they have the same attribute which is scoring the ball. I dunno, nice if it works out, just kinda seems strange.

DenButsu
07-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Whew.

The complete lack of anything happening in Nuggetsland was becoming excruciating.

At least this is... something.

I'm not too worried about his negatives. One reason: In Denver, with Melo, Billups, J.R. and Nene on board, he won't be expected to carry an amount of the offensive burden that is disproportionately high compared to his abilites.

kblo247
07-14-2010, 02:24 AM
That's the whole thing I don't get from this trade. They have Martin and Nene up front right? Now Al and Birdman off the bench. That basically means less minutes for Birdman or Martin who are 2 of their better rebounders/defenders.

I actually think they shoulda traded Smith to bring in a guy like Rip Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince... I know its a long shot, but with Harrington and Smith coming off the bench now, I mean they have the same attribute which is scoring the ball. I dunno, nice if it works out, just kinda seems strange.

K-Mart and Birdman had surgery and are going to miss time so it makes sense to me at least, especially since Nene isn't an ironman and they lost Petro.

DenButsu
07-14-2010, 02:25 AM

K-Mart and Birdman both had knee surgery in June.

TheBay30
07-14-2010, 02:26 AM
yup

zambo4president
07-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Uhh no on Dallas I guess. I don't like him at all with Denver. We'll see though.

shep33
07-14-2010, 02:33 AM
K-Mart and Birdman had surgery and are going to miss time so it makes sense to me at least, especially since Nene isn't an ironman and they lost Petro.

Ah, didn't no that, makes more sense now. My bad guys.

Trouble87
07-14-2010, 02:40 AM
horrible contract for the Nuggets and Al will not fit in that system

NYtilIdie
07-14-2010, 02:47 AM
WOW!!!

JR and Al on the same team!? This ought to be fun to watch.

Kashmir13579
07-14-2010, 02:54 AM
sorry denver fans;:facepalm: i'm really sorry.

dbronx42
07-14-2010, 03:44 AM
sorry denver fans;:facepalm: i'm really sorry.

Dont be... Now that he is actually playing for a team that are playoff contenders i have a big feeling he'll cool it a little bit on the wild shots. Especially with Chauncey and Melo as our main leaders.

Compared to what many other players got for the MLE (all of them worse than Al) Denver got a steal. The weapons this team has now is crazy.

KnickFanSince91
07-14-2010, 05:41 AM
you guys are going to love his dribble into traffic and off his foot move.

Jahari Kavi
07-14-2010, 06:05 AM
I actually like this move for them. Yeah, he does take lots of bad shots, but when he's on fire he can put up great numbers. He fits their system, though he will probably steal a few shots from Melo. Either way it was something the Nuggets needed to do.

i agree...need to replace kleiza, who I thought they missed last season....he should come off the bench with JR, so they can fire away for instance offense

DenButsu
07-14-2010, 07:31 AM
you guys are going to love his dribble into traffic and off his foot move.

That will still be an improvement over Anthony Carter's dribble it up the court and pass it to absolutely nobody move.

sintaks12
07-14-2010, 07:38 AM
That will still be an improvement over Anthony Carter's dribble it up the court and pass it to absolutely nobody move.

My personal favorite though is his "dunk-on-your-head-hang-on-the-rim-technical-foul-lose-the-game" move... twice in one year :)

Ragun
07-14-2010, 07:47 AM
good signing. harrington brings better offense to the frontcourt more than any other big the nugs have.

S-Dot
07-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Wow I thought he really could have helped Dallas' title chances, but this gives Denver and in particular Nene some much needed help in the post...offensively.

Thisisouryear!!
07-14-2010, 08:55 AM
not a huge harrington fan.

goose15
07-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Good luck in DEN Al

king4day
07-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm not a big harrington fan but this could be one of those moves you look back on later in the year and say, "wow, who'd have thought that'd work out as well as it did".
As was mentioned above, he won't be relied on like he was with the Knicks, so chances are he'll be more of a placement shooter. Teams' PF's will have to go out to cover him and JR Smith, leaving the paint more open for Melo to operate.

jkiddvc20
07-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Al loves to shoot the ball man.

DenButsu
07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm not a big harrington fan but this could be one of those moves you look back on later in the year and say, "wow, who'd have thought that'd work out as well as it did".
As was mentioned above, he won't be relied on like he was with the Knicks, so chances are he'll be more of a placement shooter. Teams' PF's will have to go out to cover him and JR Smith, leaving the paint more open for Melo to operate.

Good points.

The bottom line of this acquisition is this:

If this ends up being a standalone move which is not complimented by picking up another frontcourt addition who is bigger, a better defender, and a better rebounder, then ultimately it will look completely foolish.

However, if this move is the first of at least two, or maybe more, which put it into the context of a larger plan to give the frontcourt specifically, but also the overall roster as a whole, some additional offensive and defensive punch, then it may end up looking pretty shrewd.

Jays Claw
07-14-2010, 10:39 AM
In my opinion, the Nuggets are a better fit for him.

S-Dot
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
In my opinion, the Nuggets are a better fit for him.

Than who?

jimbobjarree
07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Harrington and JR Smith coming off the bench together? Thats gunna be a tough second unit to score against lol

mikantsass
07-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Karl will really have his hands ful with him and Smith on the same team just chucking up shots.... but Den needed to make a move, and this one isnt bad

king4day
07-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Good points.

The bottom line of this acquisition is this:

If this ends up being a standalone move which is not complimented by picking up another frontcourt addition who is bigger, a better defender, and a better rebounder, then ultimately it will look completely foolish.

However, if this move is the first of at least two, or maybe more, which put it into the context of a larger plan to give the frontcourt specifically, but also the overall roster as a whole, some additional offensive and defensive punch, then it may end up looking pretty shrewd.

Who else do u think they could add?
If Martin is expiring, that's their best chance, but it'd likely be during the season to get someone.

Melo15
07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm very happy with this move. We needed to add a scoring big who can provide depth once Martin gets back. I think Harrington will fit in really well with this team.

coloradobuff
07-14-2010, 01:32 PM
i like deal for the nugs.

Mochalman
07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
dallas is losing out on everyone besides a back up center who is injury prone? i think dirk wants to rethink his resign.