PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks to sign Al Harrington to the mid-level exception

Mavrix
07-13-2010, 06:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5377055

Dallas will now try to complete the signing of free-agent forward Al Harrington. The Mavericks, sources said, have extended an offer to Harrington with their $5.8 million mid-level exception.

I think this gives them the best bench in the league.

PG: Beaubois
SG: Terry
SF:
PF: Harrington
C: Chandler

All 4 of those players would start on a lot of teams.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-13-2010, 06:26 PM
i was gonna say marion is our backup sf but i take it you just have caron as the 2 and marion 3 right?

Mavrix
07-13-2010, 06:27 PM
i was gonna say marion is our backup sf but i take it you just have caron as the 2 and marion 3 right?

They both start. I still think Dallas needs to move Butler to the 3 and have Marion come off the bench.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-13-2010, 06:28 PM
They both start. I still think Dallas needs to move Butler to the 3 and have Marion come off the bench.

like i said in the other thread i think we should try and move terry and marion for a solid 2 guard....

would philly do terry and butler for iggy??

Mavrix
07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
like i said in the other thread i think we should try and move terry and marion for a solid 2 guard....

would philly do terry and butler for iggy??

Iggy doesn't play well at the 2. Very inconsistent. I'd take Hamilton over Iggy.

Ebbs
07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Great well we have some nice depth but we couldlve used the superstar Cuban promised.

NYtilIdie
07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
:laugh:

Mav fans just don't know yet.

Mavrix
07-13-2010, 06:31 PM

He started on your team, wasn't he the leading scorer? :facepalm:

Dallas Tx4Life
07-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Iggy doesn't play well at the 2. Very inconsistent. I'd take Hamilton over Iggy.

id have to disagree.. someone with the playmaking abilities and being the slasher that he is, thats what we need and the team has always missed... michael finley is probly the best dunker is mavs history LMAO... (gerald green doesnt count imo)

Stunner
07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
wow would have thought he went to NJ.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-13-2010, 06:33 PM

now thats something to roll around about!! knicks fans just dont know.... what its like to play in the playoffs anymore!

kblo247
07-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I like it, but until the Mavs get a starting SG they won't contend against LA out west like I have said before. I'd like to see them go after Rip and Prince personally in a deal for Marion, Terry, and JJ mostly because I'd like to see Rip and Prince on a good team.

Young2Kinsler
07-13-2010, 06:38 PM
This thread needs to be deleted or the title changed. Mavrix can't read... nowhere does it state Dallas has signed him to a deal. This is speculation that has been out for about 3 hours now, nice job Mavrix.

Sixerlover
07-13-2010, 06:40 PM
#1. Good bench piece.
#2. I'm a Philly fan, Iguodala can't play the 2.
#3. I'm a Philly fan, no they wouldn't accept Butler + Terry for him.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-13-2010, 06:41 PM
I like it, but until the Mavs get a starting SG they won't contend against LA out west like I have said before. I'd like to see them go after Rip and Prince personally in a deal for Marion, Terry, and JJ mostly because I'd like to see Rip and Prince on a good team.

thatd be sweet... if they are healthy

Dallas Tx4Life
07-13-2010, 06:42 PM
#1. Good bench piece.

didnt think so anyway... but we can always throw more pieces in... i wish they would (god forbid i say this) just throw kidd in a deal to land a badass sg like iggy... beaubois is clearly our pg of the future

Ebbs
07-13-2010, 06:44 PM

I wouldn't mind this deal although I would miss Terry.

#1. Good bench piece.

Would not trade Butler, Terry for Igoudala. . .

Klivlend
Jeez, the Mavs are looking pretty stacked now. Next season should be very interesting and fun to watch!

Fmaranesi

Harrington is a chucker and a ballhog

NYtilIdie
07-13-2010, 06:47 PM
now thats something to roll around about!! knicks fans just dont know.... what its like to play in the playoffs anymore!

Pacers fan eh? Tell me hows that championship case looking? You'd figure with all those dust bunnies that thing has collected you'd guys have the luck of the Lakers.

No, actually that was David Lee, Google s**t before you type. Im going to enjoy watching Al have his 2-11 nights while taking shots away from Dirk. This was possibly the worse signing you guys could do.

omdigga
07-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Al Buckets is a great pickup for dallas.. hes a solid scoring option of the bench with the ability to take over on offense for stretches.. good three ball.. and he plays with passion.. solid addition..

Slimsim
07-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Hahaha Mavs ****ed up. Now i can't wait to for the season to start. I'll let you see for yourself.

Young2Kinsler
07-13-2010, 06:52 PM
IF the Mavs get Harrington... which again, they have not, how can it be that bad? this guy is going to play 10 minutes a night....

RadiantShot
07-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Oh look who's back after a Playoff's smack-talk session!

dtmagnet
07-13-2010, 06:53 PM
The ninja turtle can shoot, but he takes too many shots.

nuggetsyankees
07-13-2010, 06:56 PM
complete speculation stop posting unofficial news

zambo4president
Good move Mavs. Damn that's a top 5 bench.

J$mo0th_3o5
For what?! They're still gonna choke.

NYtilIdie

Al lives by the saying "you miss every shot you don't take"

Mavrix
07-13-2010, 06:58 PM

I would love for that trade to happen.

elizur
07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
IF the Mavs get Harrington... which again, they have not, how can it be that bad? this guy is going to play 10 minutes a night....

And he will def. have something to say about only getting 10 minutes.

_KB24_
07-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Guess who's back, back again
Chick-a-chick-a Slim Shady :laugh2:

Has this team been proclaimed the GOAT by yours truly yet!??

97NYer
07-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Great day to be a Knick fan.

deebee3330
07-13-2010, 07:05 PM
id have to disagree.. someone with the playmaking abilities and being the slasher that he is, thats what we need and the team has always missed... michael finley is probly the best dunker is mavs history LMAO... (gerald green doesnt count imo)

Finley could shoot though iggy can't. Mavs need a perimeter defender that is a good shooter like Matt Barnes or raja bell.

blacknell
07-13-2010, 07:06 PM
why harrington

blacknell
07-13-2010, 07:08 PM
i though Harrington signed with the nuggets anyway?

arkanian215
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Nice Nets didn't sign him.:D

_Supreme_
07-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Why is everybody hating on Al?

Some people here are acting like he is a taller Smush Parker, lmao.

OG "Dee" LOCc
07-13-2010, 07:16 PM
This guy is what he is. A 20ppg scorer if given minutes, but also if given the shots. Hes gonna take a lot of shots from guys. Hes not Jamal Crawford, who when given the right role can flourish. He is a black hole on offense, a liability on defense. He will win you 2 games but lose you 10.

Hopefully the Mavs coach can put him in his place, or harrington can finally realize hes not 25 anymore and take a backseat and do what he should have been doing the last 5 years, and shoot when asked to shoot and pass when hes not.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-13-2010, 07:20 PM

haha this comming from a heat fan we will see what team chokes

Swashcuff
07-13-2010, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't mind this deal although I would miss Terry.

Would not trade Butler, Terry for Igoudala. . .

that makes absolutely no sense watsoever for us... we already have log jam on the wing. Why would we trade for two more wing players. We have a good young core we are not looking for a quick fix and right now thats what Terry and Butler will mean to any team they go to.

HallofFameKidd
07-13-2010, 07:29 PM

I agree 100%...If we can get Rip and keep Caron our team can be lethal.

PatsSoxKnicks
07-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Al's a chucker which is not what the Mavs need. Or any playoff team for that matter......

Aren't there other more useful players for the Mavs who don't throw up awful looking shots every chance they get?

PatsSoxKnicks
07-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Al's a chucker which is not what the Mavs need. Or any playoff team for that matter......

Aren't there other more useful players for the Mavs who don't throw up awful looking shots every chance they get?

tdunk21
07-13-2010, 07:35 PM
lmao mavs

blastmasta26
07-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Maybe he can be a good player off the bench for the Mavs. But I can't be sure. Al's the type of player who will frustrate you a lot. He plays hard, and has good games, but most of the time he will be chucking shots or trying to post up a triple team.

TEXASTITAN
07-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Mavricks fans are desperate at this point for some help. So i guess ''rumors'' give you hope. I tell ya what when you are excited about a second rate player your already setting yourself up for a letdown. You better get some help with yao back in houston and kmart for a full season your in for a handful. You guys are worried about the lakers like you have a team worthy of competing with them and you don't. Just remember who's in your division who won 42 games last year without a superstar and have their star center back. Houston>Dallas wait n c.

roshan3ai
07-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I was not a fan of Al Harrington on the Knicks. He took far too many shots and was not a team player. However, this signing gives them one of the best benches in the league, and I think he'll fit in very nicely with the Mavs. Best of luck to Al in Dallas!

HallofFameKidd
07-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Maybe he can be a good player off the bench for the Mavs. But I can't be sure. Al's the type of player who will frustrate you a lot. He plays hard, and has good games, but most of the time he will be chucking shots or trying to post up a triple team.

:laugh2: I sure hope not

LTBaByyy
07-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Like Lebron and Bosh have been doing? hahahaha

OG "Dee" LOCc
07-13-2010, 07:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHDczwvVQQ

This is the only way to sum up Al Harrington.

LTBaByyy
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Mavricks fans are desperate at this point for some help. So i guess ''rumors'' give you hope. I tell ya what when you are excited about a second rate player your already setting yourself up for a letdown. You better get some help with yao back in houston and kmart for a full season your in for a handful. You guys are worried about the lakers like you have a team worthy of competing with them and you don't. Just remember who's in your division who won 42 games last year without a superstar and have their star center back. Houston>Dallas wait n c.

Im sorry but didnt the Mavs get the 2nd seed in a tough western conference that you are talking about?? We have to worry about houston and denver hahahaha wow, Im worrying about lakers and thunder... thats about it

Talk what you know, your acting like Al buckets is gonna start haha
Hes a good bench player with passion

thedfactor
07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Al Harrington would fill a similar roll as Tim Thomas did and would have had he not had to take care of his sick wife last season. Thomas was a nice addition, but wasn't able to play most the season after he left the team in January. Harrington would probably get 20 minutes in different roles because he can play 3 or 4 and even the 5 at small stretches in games. He would be nice pick up for the Mavs.

arkanian215
07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Why is everybody hating on Al?

Some people here are acting like he is a taller Smush Parker, lmao.

He's 30 and he wanted a 5 year deal. That's not really a fit for the Nets. If we're gonna offer a long term deal they should be youngins or just temp vets.

Giantwarrior
07-13-2010, 07:55 PM
nice pick up. Play Dirk at the 5 and Harrington at the 4, Mavs would be able to stretch the court because the entire team can shoot the 3.

Jays Claw
07-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Al Harrington would give them instant scoring off the bench. In my opinion, a solid move by the Mavericks.

AddiX
07-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Al was hated on by NY fans, but he played hard and is a good scorer.

Playing with Kidd will keep him under control where as in NY he was the best scorer we had and chucked every time his hands touched the ball.

blacknell
07-13-2010, 08:16 PM
NY didn't have a star player so he shot alot i'm sure he knows his role here in dallas

29$JerZ
07-13-2010, 08:46 PM

They will know soon

Evolution23
07-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Good luck with Al.. heres some things you should expect from him

1. A guy that can put up 20-30 ppg on a good night.
2. A guy that can put up 5 ppg on 2-13 shooting.
3. A black hole on offense.
4. Poor defender.
5. Shows some ability to take clutch shots but not with consistency.

J4KOP99
07-13-2010, 09:08 PM
He was pretty rough to watch in New York but on Dallas, it may be a different story. In NY, it is just a lot of players running around aimlessly, with no set play or idea of what they are supposed to do. A free-for-all, if you will.

In Dallas, there is a set offense, run by Jason Kidd. There is a first option, in Nowitzki, a second in Butler and a lot of other good players surrounding them. I don't think this is the move that puts them over the top, but it's not a horrible or even bad, move in any sense of the imagination. Harrington helps solidify this bench as possibly the best in the NBA and gives them a ton of depth at the 3/4 position.

flimflamman
07-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I am going to miss him on the Knicks. Very nice person and very good scorer. Finally he gets to play with a great player in Dirk and don't be surprised folks to seem him be an all star. He can go off on some strange sequences but he is a scorer and with Dirk and thier guards he might be the diference.

Baller1
07-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh look who's back after a Playoff's smack-talk session!

:laugh2:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Mavrix dissapears after the overrated Mavs get their ***** handed to them, and then he returns only to make another homer statement. Anyone else surprised?

Young2Kinsler
07-13-2010, 09:58 PM

The NBA Ninja Turtles!!!!

Al Harrington
Bonzi Wells
Stromile Swift
Charlie V

S-Dot
07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
thats a hell of a move actually when I think about it.

Sports Illustrator
07-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Al Harrington is a tremendous player and one of my favorite in the game but he is not really the player that the Mavericks need. Mark Cuban reminds me of those old guys that play pickup basketball in the parks who always look to get the best offensive players and disregard everything else. There is only one basketball to play with unfortunately. I would think Cuban learned from his mistake in trade for Butler. Sometimes you just simply do better with less.

DraKo
07-13-2010, 11:08 PM
The NBA Ninja Turtles!!!!

Al Harrington
Bonzi Wells
Stromile Swift
Charlie V

Lol:clap:

Hellcrooner
07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
mavs should try nd get RIP for terry and marion to ahve a legit SG.

ManRam
07-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Looks like this is dead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5378520

The Denver Nuggets have reached an agreement in principle on a five-year, $34 million contract with free-agent forward Al Harrington, according to sources with knowledge of the deal.

The Nuggets had to outbid the Dallas Mavericks to secure Harrington's signature after Dallas followed up its acquisition of Tyson Chandler with a hard push for Harrington.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.