PDA

View Full Version : Can Somebody Put Me on Game About Cousins?

Tony_Starks
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I didn't really check for him in college and during the draft all I kept hearing is "attitude problems" as a red flag but MAN... I've been watching this dude in the summer league and he is a beast! A legit big that actually plays like a big. Good rebounder, attacks the rim every chance he gets....

I see the attitude thing because he does have kinda a mean streak thing and he appears pretty immature, similar to a young K Mart, but IMO thats a positive not a negative... Especially for a big man. At least he has some heart.

For those in the know how was this kid so slept on? Is it all based on attitude? I see him as one of the steals of the draft...

fadedmario
07-13-2010, 02:51 PM
He had the second highest body fat ratio in the NBA's history. That was the big knock on him. He's either going to be Shaq or Oliver Miller?

S-Dot
07-13-2010, 02:55 PM
He had the second highest body fat ratio in the NBA's history. That was the big knock on him. He's either going to be Shaq or Oliver Miller?

Shaq may be a stretch. At the beginning of his career, Shaq was more athletic and quicker than Cousins is now. But Cousins has potential to be ROY, and have a few All-Star appearances.

Melo15
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I love the way Cousins plays, he won't back down from anyone. Great pickup for the Kings and will be a very solid player for many years to come.

jmtapia
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
the thing i like the most about cousins, at this point, is that he can pass very well. Hes a great outlet passer, can pass of double teams and pass to cutting teammates. His size allows him to bang and his length and big hands allow him to dominate the boards. And like he showed in his first summer league game... he has a jumper!! Also i noticed quick hands on defense.

With Evans constantly attacking the rim Cousins figures to have many opportunities to finish at the rim.

The Shaq comparisons at this point are unfair but the one thing Cousins does clearly have over shaq is that he can shot the rock from outside.

Lets see how he does tonight.

Tony_Starks
07-13-2010, 03:15 PM
the thing i like the most about cousins, at this point, is that he can pass very well. Hes a great outlet passer, can pass of double teams and pass to cutting teammates. His size allows him to bang and his length and big hands allow him to dominate the boards. And like he showed in his first summer league game... he has a jumper!! Also i noticed quick hands on defense.

With Evans constantly attacking the rim Cousins figures to have many opportunities to finish at the rim.

The Shaq comparisons at this point are unfair but the one thing Cousins does clearly have over shaq is that he can shot the rock from outside.

Yeah I noticed that too. The mechanics on his jumper looked pretty smoothe and natural. Seems like with some work he could be a 20-10 guy. His conditoning is suspect but Im sure they will tighten him up this season.

Im happy for Sacramento, Evans and Cousins could make a nice 1-2 punch for years. Add in Caspi and thats a decent young core.

losbreezy
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Are you reading my mind?

Raoul Duke
07-13-2010, 04:01 PM
He gobbled up rebounds at an insanely high rate in college. I was watching the score of the Pistons/Kings summer league game online and that **** was straight up scary. He had five rebounds in like the first two or three minutes of the game.

It's too early to tell right now if he's fat, or if he's just a load. If he's fat, then he could end up being a bust. If he's a load, then he's going to be a really really good player for a long time.

arkanian215
07-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Cousins handled himself very well yesterday when Austin Daye was throwing forearms and elbows at him during the game. We'll see how he does when more physical guys are getting at him and his team is losing. I think that will be the biggest challenge. The dude will not take any of that lying down.

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
VERY physically imposing player. A guy who had his way with pretty much any big man during college. Also can be a tremendous rebounder and gets to the line a lot. Very fundamentally sound and knows how to use his body. Could use some improvement on his foot work. But overall, he's very strong and I can't think of many big man that will be able to contain him.
Defensively he wasn't as bad as I thought, but he can use a lot of improvement. Fundamentally he can use A LOT of work.

He has two glaring problems that are kinda related.
(A) He is Rasheed Wallace good when it comes to having no control of his emotions. He might just get more technicals than Sheed. The guy just has no self-control.
(B)His motor. He was lucky that he played on a great team in Kentucky where he had motivation to play great. If Sacramento starts losing, it can get real ugly.

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
VERY physically imposing player. A guy who had his way with pretty much any big man during college. Also can be a tremendous rebounder and gets to the line a lot. Very fundamentally sound and knows how to use his body. Could use some improvement on his foot work. But overall, he's very strong and I can't think of many big man that will be able to contain him.
Defensively he wasn't as bad as I thought, but he can use a lot of improvement. Fundamentally he can use A LOT of work.

He has two glaring problems that are kinda related.
(A) He is Rasheed Wallace good when it comes to having no control of his emotions. He might just get more technicals than Sheed. The guy just has no self-control.
(B)His motor. He was lucky that he played on a great team in Kentucky where he had motivation to play great. If Sacramento starts losing, it can get real ugly.

All in all, this guy may have one of the highest upsides in this draft. He can very well come out as the best player in this draft. He can also be out of the league in 3 years because of weight problems.
Of those teams with top 5 picks, he definitely went to the best organization.

losbreezy
07-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Actually, his footwork combined with his jump-shot is what separates him from the other Centers.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
i see him bein a little softer version of big baby

DerekRE_3
07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Cousins dropped because of weight and maturity issues. They became well publicized during his freshman year at Kentucky but a lot of it was completely overblown by the media. He is a fiery player for sure, but he is not nearly the headcase that he is portrayed to be. His Coach at Kentucky, John Calipari, loves him and his wife even views Cousins as one of her sons. She cried when he was drafted. Calipari has described Cousins as an intelligent and engaging player. The whole maturity thing has a lot to do with Cousins being a 19 year old kid.

As far as the weight issues go, since being drafted he has lost 5 pounds and has also trimmed his body fat percentage from 16% down to 14%. It may not seem like much but it has only been about 3 weeks since the draft. By the time the regular season rolls around, Cousins will be ready.

As far as his game goes, he is one of the most skilled 19 year old big men I have ever seen. I remember how Spencer Hawes was described as a very skilled big man coming out of college as well. Cousins is more skilled than that, but also has the body and the fire needed to compete at the NBA level. He can shoot jumpers out to 20 feet, he can hit cutters from the post and knows how to pass out of a double team, he can rebound at an incredible rate, and he has incredible hands and footwork.

kArSoN RyDaH
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
i dont even know him and i already dont like this kid for the simple fact that he failed epicly at dissing bynum.

central2003
07-13-2010, 05:46 PM
LOL.. If he lives up to his full potential not only will he and Evans arguably be the best 1-2 punch in the NBA and lead the Kings back to contending for a title but he will be a superstar along with the kings other superstar Evans. plus they would have a all-star caliber supporting cast.