PDA

View Full Version : NBA Owners Could Set Hard Salary Cap at 45 mil

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 01:57 PM
LAS VEGAS -- When Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert predicted that his Cavaliers would win a championship before The King and his Miami Heat Superfriends in his open letter to LeBron James, the assertion seemed about as foolish as the letter itself.

Yet Gilbert's inexplicable confidence in making the statement -- and lack of confidence in the Heat's new star-studded core -- may have stemmed from a scenario that has fast become a hot topic among the league's owners: The notion that the Miami Three of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh could be down to the Miami Two after just one season.

It is, in fact, a possibility.

Share With the league's collective bargaining agreement set to expire after next season, the owners are poised to go the way of the NHL and insist on a hard salary cap in the next deal that could be in the neighborhood of $45 million. If they are successful in that attempt -- likely after a lockout like the one endured by the NHL in 2004-05 -- the Heat and a number of other teams could be forced to release key players if their salaries surpassed the cap.

James, Wade and Bosh are reportedly scheduled to make a combined $43 million on their own next season with 10 percent annual raises thereafter, potentially meaning a nightmare scenario on South Beach. The Heat would hardly be alone in their despair, as the defending champion Lakers have approximately $80 million in committed salaries for the 2011-12 season and are slated to pay a combined $45 million for Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol alone.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/11/could-miamis-super-team-be-broken-up-after-one-year/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

I have a hard time believing that they would make it so low, but I could see a hard cap regardless. I definitely think some hard cap has to be installed to keep great teams from constantly getting quality players via MLE or limit MLE.
Owners could also be using this as a "scare tactic" to maybe be able to at least get a hard cap around the 60-70mil mark and sound like reasonable people.
They are definitely going to try to use the whole Miami trio to their advantage. Which could very well screw a lot of players. And possible even great teams like LA or Miami if a hard cap does indeed come.
Thoughts?

DerekRE_3
07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
The Kings would be in fantastic shape if this happened. We are under that right now and have $13 mil coming off the books with Dally expiring. :nod:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Never gonna happen in NBA, never

iggypop123
07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
lockout definitely coming

lakers4sho
07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Have a hard cap, but don't set it that low.

With superstar caliber players demanding a max of 16+ million a year, it'll be hard to form a solid team.

Raidaz4Life
07-13-2010, 02:04 PM
That would be stupid, a bunch of teams would have to completely rebuild if that happened.

Sixerlover
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
The players union would riot before they accepted that BS

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Have a hard cap, but don't set it that low.

With superstar caliber players demanding a max of 16+ million a year, it'll be hard to form a solid team.

But superstar players might not get 16mil after the negotiations. Point blank, expect players to get slaughtered in this CBA. As it is, so many get bankrupt so easily and already are, that many expect them to cave very quickly.
Like said though, I don't expect the hard cap to be this low, at least no at first, I think this is a negotiating tactic. But I do think we can expect it at around 55 to 70 mil. which can hurt teams like Miami, LA, and Dallas very badly.
Right now, Indiana is definitely sitting pretty with all those expirings for 2011.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-13-2010, 02:10 PM
If that somehow happens, how in the hell we can dump guaranteed contracts to get under the cap.

I think if they want the hard cap the should announce it many years before so the teams could make preparations.

ShakeN'Bake
07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Well it would be interesting

Chacarron
07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
The league should have a fantasy draft amongst all teams. It would never happen but I think it would be fun to watch.

zambo4president
07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
The league should have a fantasy draft amongst all teams. It would never happen but I think it would be fun to watch.

Yes they should. Just scrap the whole thing. I wish for it everyday :sigh:

Venomous88
07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
The NBPA wouldn't agree to that at all

dnewguy
07-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Be careful what you wish for, trying to make things more balanced for everyone is not good for anyone in the long run.

THE MTL

I would love to see a fantasy team. THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

ShakeN'Bake

how do you determine who goes first?

valade16
07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
But superstar players might not get 16mil after the negotiations. Point blank, expect players to get slaughtered in this CBA. As it is, so many get bankrupt so easily and already are, that many expect them to cave very quickly.
Like said though, I don't expect the hard cap to be this low, at least no at first, I think this is a negotiating tactic. But I do think we can expect it at around 55 to 70 mil. which can hurt teams like Miami, LA, and Dallas very badly.
Right now, Indiana is definitely sitting pretty with all those expirings for 2011.

But it's gonna be hard to just tell superstars "remember that 16 mil you wanted, now you only get 8". not to mention what do you do to teams like the Heat? if they release any of their big 3, they owe them the rest of the contract! So are the owners really trying to pay all these players for NOT playing just to release them and fall under the cap?

Doubt it...

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Be careful what you wish for, trying to make things more balanced for everyone is not good for anyone in the long run.

I agree. But Stern has always appeared to like a balance in this league. I mean that's why we saw quite a few expansion teams in the 90s.

If that somehow happens, how in the hell we can dump guaranteed contracts to get under the cap.

I think if they want the hard cap the should announce it many years before so the teams could make preparations.

I have a feeling that NBA will also start having contracts more like NFL's. Which really would be great. So essentially, players can be released. I still think, if we get a hard cap, it will be a fairly high number.

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
But it's gonna be hard to just tell superstars "remember that 16 mil you wanted, now you only get 8". not to mention what do you do to teams like the Heat? if they release any of their big 3, they owe them the rest of the contract! So are the owners really trying to pay all these players for NOT playing just to release them and fall under the cap?

Doubt it...

For one, NBA might start using NFL type contracts where you can release players. For another, I don't buy at all the notion that cap will be this low. Sounds like a negotiating tactic,

avrpatsfan
07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
This is never going to happen. ****** idea. The soft cap is fine.

king4day
07-13-2010, 02:20 PM
They'd have to push this back a few years. U can't tell a team who has built up to contend that they all of a sudden need to shed their stars.
I think teams should be given a hard cap of 70 mil and that's it. But not yet. Let contracts expire first.

awmathewsjr
07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
45mil is way too low for a hard cap. NBA owners should be ashamed of themselves

hugepatsfan
07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I wish the NBA had a cap that I could understand...

THE MTL
07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/11/could-miamis-super-team-be-broken-up-after-one-year/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

I have a hard time believing that they would make it so low, but I could see a hard cap regardless. I definitely think some hard cap has to be installed to keep great teams from constantly getting quality players via MLE or limit MLE.
Owners could also be using this as a "scare tactic" to maybe be able to at least get a hard cap around the 60-70mil mark and sound like reasonable people.
They are definitely going to try to use the whole Miami trio to their advantage. Which could very well screw a lot of players. And possible even great teams like LA or Miami if a hard cap does indeed come.
Thoughts?

First of all hard caps are usually higher so it DEF wont be over 10 million lower.

Also, hard caps can be overcome simply by adding sign-on/yearly bonus money like the NFL (I think currently it is not allowed in NBA). Also, like the NFL this bonus money WOULDNT count against the cap.

But I think the new CBA agreement is going to be ALOT better than it was looking last year.

1. Lakers vs. Celtics in Finals was HUGE REVENUS booster.
2. Lebron James single-handed took over ESPN...(he had his own ticker!!!). 3. Miami has a trio that boosted that team into a Top 3 franchise.
4. New York Knicks are FINALLY looking to improve
5. New Jersey Nets market will rapidly expand with Russian/Newark-Brooklyn
6. Small markets like Portland/OKC are doing GREAT

Sixerlover
07-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Like someone else said, I think a hard cap of 70 million is fair.

THE MTL
07-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I think MLB needs a salary cap. Its simply not fair how teams can an almost 200 million dollar payroll, while others have 60 million

shizzle09
07-13-2010, 02:26 PM
This will never happen. First off the NBA's favorite franchise the LA Lakers have a 80-90 million payroll every year and currently have an 81 million payroll. No way the league just says too bad you have to shed 36 million from your team. Old contracts that were in place will have to be honored. they cannot void players contracts after they have already signed deals. Doesnt anyone understand the legal aspect of this. IT CANNOT HAPPEN.

shizzle09
07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Like someone else said, I think a hard cap of 70 million is fair.

agree, no bird right BS that allows teams to go over 70

LionBryan
07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
At a 45 mil hardcap, mediocre rotational role players will be better served to go play in Europe.

Hellcrooner
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
lol i love it the lockout the longer it makes the most chances players sign in europe to be active and not loose shape.

LionBryan
07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Are you playing madlibs?

shizzle09
07-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Doubt it...

nothing, the cotnracts are signed. The owners cant come along and say "oh, by the way that contract you signed for 110 million is no loner valid". Those contracts are set in stone. I'd love to see the league try and pull this one off. No court system would allow it and players would stop playing for the league.

THE MTL
07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I just found out that the NFL got rid of its salary cap! WOW!

markbutter
07-13-2010, 02:36 PM
I think there will be a hard cap, just not that low. Plus, even with a contract, if you're locked out and there no CBA, I believe players don't get paid. I can see them phasing it in.

Mathew
07-13-2010, 02:36 PM
I think MLB needs a salary cap. Its simply not fair how teams can an almost 200 million dollar payroll, while others have 60 million

You mean the Yankees? They are the only team with a payroll tha high...

richiesaurus310
07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Lol the MLB definitely needs a hard cap, I kinda like the NBA system though.

Hellcrooner
07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
nothing, the cotnracts are signed. The owners cant come along and say "oh, by the way that contract you signed for 110 million is no loner valid". Those contracts are set in stone. I'd love to see the league try and pull this one off. No court system would allow it and players would stop playing for the league.

Courts never mesh with Pro leagues.

if they did there woudl be no salary cap, no draft no resticed Fa and no ****.

From a juridic point of view Nba players are slaves .

shizzle09
07-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Courts never mesh with Pro leagues.

if they did there woudl be no salary cap, no draft no resticed Fa and no ****.

From a juridic point of view Nba players are slaves .

yeah but there is no way they can void legal binding contracts in order to install a hard cap. they would have to let contracts play out

LionBryan
07-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Juridic.

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
At a 45 mil hardcap, mediocre rotational role players will be better served to go play in Europe.

So would stars.
Truth of the matter, when you look at how many wins guys like Lebron, Wade, Duncan and Paul produce, they are very underpaid as max players. The best players are probably the most underpaid relative to what they produce.

Hellcrooner
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
yeah but there is no way they can void legal binding contracts in order to install a hard cap. they would have to let contracts play out

thats what would happen if law was allowed in the league.

BUt im afraid they would do as league pleased.

IM thinking the best that can happen right now is that they get rid of everything and go euro style bout the contracts, no limits no ca p nothing.

Just check m with those n-rules MORE diferent teams have won Euroleague in the last 30 years than different nba teams have won the ring.

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I just found out that the NFL got rid of its salary cap! WOW!

For a year.
But the NFL also added so many other regulations, that it's probably more tougher now than even when it had the salary cap.

jimbobjarree
07-13-2010, 02:51 PM
would be awesome for the small market teams out there like my Jazz. 45 mil is a tad low even for us though, we'd still be around the 50mil mark.

HiphopRelated
07-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Blah, will never happen

Giantwarrior
07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
if the players association and owners cant agree on a hard salary cap, prepare for a lock out and half of a 2011 NBA season.

Giantwarrior
07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I really see a lockout next season, its a MAJOR reason why Doc Rivers came back to coach. The aging Celtics will be TOUGH next season because they only have to play 40 games.

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Doesn't work like that. Like I said, I really doubt this happens, but if it does, Miami will have to either renegotiate those contracts or get rid of the, for peanuts.
Court system has nothing to do with it. It's why you constantly see teams in the NHL or once in the NFL, constantly having to retool their rosters, especially if they are great teams with great players. They trade those great players for new prospects. Great example of such is the Chicago Blackhawks this offseason. Traded a ton of key players because it.
Players really aren't going to stop playing, that's nonsense. Especially given how many are bankrupt, like I said, most experts expect players to get slaughtered in the CBA negotiations.

hvg
07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Even if that does happen (and I don't think it will), I doubt teams will be forced to drop players, but just renegotiate under the new rules.

Thisisouryear!!
07-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Heat would be screweeeeeeeeeed lololol

JasonJohnHorn
07-13-2010, 03:10 PM
I agree that the MLE is abused. If a team is less then ten million over the cap, then I can understand letting a team use the MLE or go over to sign veteran minimums, but if a big market, big money team like LA is paying out 80 million for top tier talent and then add and quality player like Bell or Artest for the MLE, it hardly seems fair for small markets.

I like the soft cap, but teams step around it all the time and use the loop holes to get around things. Like I'm sure Haslem's contract has a player option at the end of the first year so he can opt out and then get a bigger pay next year when Miami can invoke its Larry bird rights on him.

I think the league might want to look into profit sharing like the NFL, so the teams have a more level playign feild to put quality teams together. And only allowing one or two max contracts on each team seems like an easy way to avoid teams like New York and Miami dumping salary in order to sign three big names at a time and then using the vet min. to sign about bunch of ring chasers.

And buy-outs shouldnt count against the cap. If you sign a player to a lot and he is a bust, and a team is willing to bite the bullet and buy him out, then I dont think that salary should count against the cap. Just my opinion, i always thought it was silly that a guy who is playing for another team counts against your cap space.

uws
07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
there is no way the owners would agree to this either because it would kill other members of their little owners fraternity.

the players association would throw a fit and never agree to play

the only way i could see this happeneing would be for the new cap to start the day the longest current NBA contract runs til, so teams would have about 6 years to sort things out in preparation

Da Knicks
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
close this thread pure garbage...

wewantwade3
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
if all these contracts have the possibility of having to be renegotiated then what was the point of players like pierce and dirk opting out to then resign in order to get a longer deal with more money in preparation for the new CBA?

JasonJohnHorn
07-13-2010, 03:18 PM
This will never happen. First off the NBA's favorite franchise the LA Lakers have a 80-90 million payroll every year and currently have an 81 million payroll. No way the league just says too bad you have to shed 36 million from your team. Old contracts that were in place will have to be honored. they cannot void players contracts after they have already signed deals. Doesnt anyone understand the legal aspect of this. IT CANNOT HAPPEN.

It can happen and has already. At the last CBA teams were allowed to buy out one contract without it counting against the cap. Dallas did that with Finley. In the NHL it was the same. If a team was over the hard cap they were allowed to buy out a contract, or must trade players to teams willing to take the contract on.

It can happen. I am not saying it will, but it may and it is certainly possible. The players will still get the money their contracts stipulate, but it doesnt mean they will still be playing on the same team.

Thing is, once these players take a buy out, they are still essentially making the max deal for as long as that deal plus the vet min or whatever they sign for with another team, so the guys can still afford to be ring chasers and sign on to contenders for next to nothing (which is exactly what Finley did).

HiphopRelated
lol @ people focusing on the Heat

Do y'all realize the Heat are the ONLY contender that will be under/at the cap next year?

Kobe alone makes 25 million

Giantwarrior
NO one will want a lock out especially the players. if they dont play, they dont get paid. Owners have the upper hand.

Sucks for the Heat if theres a lockout, they wont have enough time to gel together. it would be a waste of a season.

Giantwarrior
07-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Teams wont be penalized by Luxery Tax if they come up with a new hard cap.

RollinDeep
07-13-2010, 03:27 PM
So how much of the league would swim over to the euroleagues if this happened?

wewantwade3
07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
if this happens the nba will become extinct. These guys are jumping ship under this CBA just imagine with a hard cap. Its gonna be catastrophic

JayHunter
07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
it will definitely be a lockout

RocketPower2010
07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Here's a thought...if God flooded the Earth again and there WAS a fantasy draft...and the Cavs got first pick...who would they choose?

Before the flame begin, remember that LeBron is 25 and Kobe is 31.

wewantwade3
07-13-2010, 03:50 PM
they have to grandfather these contracts. I cant see any other way. too many teams are going to have to drop large amounts of players. Imagine the lakers with Gasol and Bryant that would be the cap. Magic have about 70 million in players. The knicks can say goodbye to any chance of adding melo and paul and the Heat well no more big 3. The owners of these teams will never sign off on that.

Chacarron
07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
how do you determine who goes first?

Either Lakers and Celtics go first :D OR a randomizer. Haven't really given it much thought.

Thisisouryear!!
07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
lockout.

LA_Raiders
07-13-2010, 04:07 PM
lol, no way... NBA is a clown show...

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Here's a thought...if God flooded the Earth again and there WAS a fantasy draft...and the Cavs got first pick...who would they choose?

Before the flame begin, remember that LeBron is 25 and Kobe is 31.

Kevin Durant?
Keep in mind, Durant is the type of player who can be great til his mid 30s. He obviously will never have the prime that Lebron is currently having and continue to have, but he can be consistent longer.

Hellcrooner
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Kevin Durant?
Keep in mind, Durant is the type of player who can be great til his mid 30s. He obviously will never have the prime that Lebron is currently having and continue to have, but he can be consistent longer.

durnat is going to be much a better player than lbron is.

kozelkid
07-13-2010, 04:30 PM
durnat is going to be much a better player than lbron is.

No he won't. I love Durant, but no chance. Not unless Durant can all of a sudden become an elite ball handler and passer. But like I said, Durant will likely be a consistently great player longer.