PDA

View Full Version : Official Summer League Thread

J4KOP99
07-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Here is all the info you need about our roster, schedule and statistics. It gives a complete box scores after each game. It also has a link where to watch the games if you do not have NBATV.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2010/teams/lakers/

So far we are 0-4 with a game coming up against the Spurs on 7/15/2010.
Leaders so far: (As of July 14th, after Kings game)
Points-
Derrick Caracter 16.8 PPG
Devin Ebanks 16.0 PPG
DJ Strawberry 13.3 PPG

Assists-
Ibrahim Jabeer 4.0 APG
DJ Strawberry 2.0 APG
Caracter 1.8 APG

Rebounding-
Derrick Caracter 9.3 RPG
Courtney Sims 6.0 RPG
Rob Kurz 4.0 RPG

--I will try to keep these as updated as possible but if you want to make sure, use the link I provided. (Updated 7/14/2010)

x_notorious
07-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks J4KOP99.

smdodgerfan
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
How is Caracter leading in scoring and rebounding and 2nd in assits? This kid is worth a look see at camp!

gr824
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
How is Caracter leading in scoring and rebounding and 2nd in assits? This kid is worth a look see at camp!

The Lakers will not "look/see" Caracter in training camp unless they are sure he will make the team for the regular season ...

borat
07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
The Lakers will not "look/see" Caracter in training camp unless they are sure he will make the team for the regular season ...

Why? How much do the guys in training camp make if you are a second round draft pick? We bring in a bunch of extras every year that have no chance of making the team? :confused:

gr824
07-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Why? How much do the guys in training camp make if you are a second round draft pick? We bring in a bunch of extras every year that have no chance of making the team? :confused:

Because Derrick is a second round draft choice, not an undrafted FA like the other camp bodies you are referring to above ... And it has nothing to do with the salary they would pay him just for camp, which, relatively, is peanuts ...

If the Lakers want to bring Caracter to camp, then they have to sign him to a contract. If they sign him to a contract, even a non-guaranteed deal, AND THEN HE FAILS TO MAKE THE TEAM, the Lakers lose their draft rights to him and he automatically becomes an unrestricted FA ...

So, if they know they have a roster spot for him, then they will bring him to camp. If the FO feels he is a year or two away from being good enough to be in the NBA, however, they will stash him overseas [ like Elonu last year ] and let him get better playing professionally over there while the Lakers retain his exclusive NBA rights for the future ...

numba1CHANGsta
07-14-2010, 03:26 AM
strawberry looked good against the Kings last night, maybe we sign him to fill out a reserve spot? :D

kid24
07-14-2010, 03:52 AM
the laker rooks do look pretty good now lets see if they can make it on the roster.

J4KOP99
07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
strawberry looked good against the Kings last night, maybe we sign him to fill out a reserve spot? :D

I really don't see any way Strawberry makes the roster. I don't know the specifics but I just can't see him being called up.

DaBossLaker04
07-14-2010, 11:33 AM
From what I've heard, is that caracter is a little undersized for his position... and I heard ebanks isn't doing to bad for himself I know they said he's got like a Trevor ariza body. U think he will b good for a spot in the figure... say a year or so from now?

J4KOP99
07-14-2010, 11:43 AM
From what I've heard, is that caracter is a little undersized for his position... and I heard ebanks isn't doing to bad for himself I know they said he's got like a Trevor ariza body. U think he will b good for a spot in the figure... say a year or so from now?

It's not even that they have similar body types, these two guys are absolute clones. They look the same, from the face down.

It looks like Ebanks has some solid potential, he can drive, shoot and has great athletic ability.

Caracter is a little undersized, but he is huge and has an NBA ready body. Think Big Baby Davis, with a developed post game. He can use both hands and definitely rebound. Now, obviously BIG BABY has proved himself in NBA play but Caracter looks like he would be able to do something similar.

DaBossLaker04
07-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Clones? Really? Lol I got to see that.... if he can develop his 3 point shooting like ariza did, and maybe put on a lil more muscle I think he wud b a great addition to the roster some day.
Caracter I didn't know much about but the way u described him he seems pretty decent. I would love to watch and analyze how he plays. If he's pretty good in the post now imagine wut a little training from Kareem wud do lol.
Is there anyone else who has real future potential for a roster spot u think?

raiddalake
07-14-2010, 01:03 PM
nope his face maybe but he is no where the athlete Ariza is he is too slow i like him in summer league but make the team i dont know he will be sitting like sun yu did by the way i saw him he is in summerleague this year

Lakersho
07-14-2010, 01:31 PM
nope his face maybe but he is no where the athlete Ariza is he is too slow i like him in summer league but make the team i dont know he will be sitting like sun yu did by the way i saw him he is in summerleague this year

...ebanks is at least as fast as trevor, his mid. range shot is better , 3 point isnt as good yet . but look your sayin " rook" it took ariza 2 years to get down a aver. 3 pt shot, this kid already has near the talent and a rook. we should keep and groom him for cheap. caracter , is playin as good as the supposed best center in the draft, i cant see lettin either of these go. keep them , supply proper training and grooming and worst case scenario we can trade them for a piece we need now or develope them for our own use....

DaBossLaker04
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
... i cant see lettin either of these go. keep them , supply proper training and grooming and worst case scenario we can trade them for a piece we need now or develope them for our own use....
I like that idea... just in case they don't work out lets groom them enough so that somebody would b interested in them enough to trade for a good piece.

gr824
07-14-2010, 03:44 PM

Well, it sounds like someone has been reading too many press reports by writers who throw around player comparisons sloppily :eyebrow: ... Also, it could depend to a degree on just what position it is that Caracter is going to be playing in the NBA and who he is to match up against:

Caracter can play both PF and center. In college, he evidently played center almost excusively and carried extra weight to do so [ he was over 300 lbs. at Lousiville and at UTEP ]. Now he has slimmed down to 270-275 lbs to increase his quickness and stamina for the pro game. He is 6' 9" tall, with a wingspan of more than 7' 0" ...

Is that undersized ? Well, yeah, if you compare him to Yao Ming or to Bynum and the Gasol brothers ... or even to Dwight Howard. But if you look at him relative to, say, Kurt Thomas, a player many are advocating as a backup center for the Lakers to sign, Caracter is just as tall or taller than Thomas, is undoubtedly considerably 'longer' than him, and still outweighs Kurt by at least 30 pounds ... Plus, Caracter certainly is huge compared to someone like Chuck Hayes, who has been started at center by Houston whenever Yao has been out with injury [ Hayes is a charitable 6' 7", with a 6' 10" wingspan and probably weighs less that 240 lbs. ] ...

Against NBA power forwards, Derrick may be "undersized" when held up against Nowitzki or even Bosh [ at least he is shorter than both of them ], but then so is Carlos Boozer ... and Caracter is just about the same size as that new Bull. Plus, other than in poundage [ read that: "body fat" ], Caracter is just as big a 'big' as Glen Davis and is significantly larger than Craig Smith, two guys Derrick is likely to see floor time matching up with should he make this Laker squad ...

So is Caracter too small to be third -- or even second -- on the 2010-2011 Laker depth chart at either PF or C ? I say no ... The only legitimate question is: "Is he good enough to make the roster this year or should he play overseas for a year or two first ?"

DaBossLaker04
07-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Lol yea I do read a lot of reports. I find it interesting to find other views on certain topics, I don't c it as a bad thing though. Anyways I've never actually seen or watched caracter and it was previously stated that he was glen Davis sized and body build so I think he would b good to keep an eye on for a third backup. I just don't know much about him that's y I asked.

gr824
07-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Lol yea I do read a lot of reports. I find it interesting to find other views on certain topics, I don't c it as a bad thing though. Anyways I've never actually seen or watched caracter and it was previously stated that he was glen Davis sized and body build so I think he would b good to keep an eye on for a third backup. I just don't know much about him that's y I asked.

By all means, get all the info you can ... Just keep in mind that the media's foremost objective/priority does not always coincide with an accurate perspective on reality. It is best to see and judge for yourself whenever possible ...

To that end, the Summer League games are on TV [ at least, most have been ], NBA-TV to be precise. The Lakers play one more in Vegas [ tomorrow at 4 PM Eastern Time ] should you want to see Caracter play [ if you do not have cable/satellite, try to catch the contest streaming on the Web at: www.atdhe.net ] ... Hope you enjoy if you get to watch ...

As to Davis: Caracter is far more athletic and skilled than is Davis. If they match up against one another, I anticipate: "Advantage: Caracter" ...

DaBossLaker04
07-14-2010, 04:43 PM
I will have to c if I can catch that game. Thanks.

Go Dodgers!
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Anyone see that nasty dunk by Gerald Green against the Kings? I know it's summer league but it was still sweet..

TMAC94
07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
is there anyway i can watch this for free ?

gr824
07-15-2010, 12:02 PM
is there anyway i can watch this for free ?

If you mean the Summer League games, then try this link:

www.atdhe.net

J4KOP99
07-15-2010, 06:52 PM
We lost again against the Spurs.

Here's a link of some highlights...
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100715/LALSAS/gameinfo.html

Caracter had 10 points and 6 rebounds. He barely shot the ball though, going 3-6 from the field and 4-6 from the free throw line.

Ebanks had 11 points and 7 rebounds while only shooting 8 times, hitting half of them. He was also 1-1 from the three.

Green took 17 shots and went 0-5 from the 3 pt line.

TMAC94
07-16-2010, 09:35 AM
gerald green was still 8-17 wasnt he ? just under 50 %

J4KOP99
07-16-2010, 10:55 AM
gerald green was still 8-17 wasnt he ? just under 50 %

Yes he was. I didn't mean to disparage Green, I just wanted to do a quick write up about the game.

Green did play well and even showed some defense.

gr824
07-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes he was. I didn't mean to disparage Green, I just wanted to do a quick write up about the game.

Green did play well and even showed some defense.

In fact, to close out Summer League, Green had his best performance of the five-game schedule. He played about 31 minutes and scored 18 points, shooting 47.1% from the floor [ 0-5 on 3s ], grabbed 7 rebounds, and had 1 assist and 1 block. Most important perhaps, though, he avoided TOs entirely, played 'engaged' defense on numerous occasions, and actually appeared to be picking up on the triangle offense a bit and figuring out what his role within it could possibly be during some future expanded opportunity ...

I cannot tell if Green just gradually had gotten more comfortable playing with his new 'teammates' and/or was starting to feel better about the triangle ... Or if instead he became desperate realizing that he may have been letting yet another chance to impress an NBA organization slip away into the ether. In any case, he appeared to be almost an entirely different player in the contest with the Spurs; nearly all the good elements of his game were greatly enhanced and expanded upon while most of the annoying aspects of his history were either largely subdued or completely eliminated, at least for one game ...

Up until yesterday, I had doubted that the Lakers would bring Green to camp in the fall. But now I must say he has a shot at being there. Some of his stats for all five Summer League games:

18.6 MPG 8.6 PPG 44.7% FG% 23.1% 3-PT FG% 100% FT% 3.6 RPG 1.0 APG

Playa4life
07-16-2010, 12:26 PM
We should sign Ebanks and Caracter both player...Caracter will be better player than Powell who is on the team for HUGS lol... Caracter had 3 double double and is a natural post player and Ebank is atletic reminds me of ariza but more lenght, kid is only 20 yr OLD, kid has potential to be a solid player if he can make 3's. he gna help kobe and laker allot with with atletism. We did good in late draft. Props to Mich Kupcake!

New Power House
07-16-2010, 06:33 PM
We lost again against the Spurs.

Here's a link of some highlights...
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/games/20100715/LALSAS/gameinfo.html

Caracter had 10 points and 6 rebounds. He barely shot the ball though, going 3-6 from the field and 4-6 from the free throw line.

Ebanks had 11 points and 7 rebounds while only shooting 8 times, hitting half of them. He was also 1-1 from the three.

Green took 17 shots and went 0-5 from the 3 pt line.

They played 5 games in 7 days and they looked better than the bags that Lakers carry last year named Powell,Morrison and Puke! These two guys and Green need to come to camp and show that they belong.:D Green has the looks of a player that needs great coaching and a mentor to fully show his true potential. He can ,in my opinion do what Brown have done so far and he dunks better!

TMAC94
07-18-2010, 12:14 PM
does anyone think green will make the team ?