PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs - (2) Cavailers vs. (7) Knicks

Westbrook36
07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This second round match-up features the 2nd seeded Cleveland Cavailers versus the 7th seeded New York Knicks. The Cavs have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Cavs:

C: Joakim Noah/Matt Bonner
PF: Kevin Love/Taj Gibson/Jarvis Hayes
SF: Tayshaun Prince/Donte Green
SG: Kobe Bryant/James Harden
PG: Mike Bibby/T.J Ford

Cavs Write-Up:

For my Writeup I am going to split it up into 3 sections: Backcourt, Frontcourt, and bench.

The Backcourt:

The matchup of Bibby and Kobe vs Hill and Johnson is one that I definitely think I have an advantage at. George Hill came in for Parker last season and was a great scorer for them, but is he really someone you want come playoff time? Hill has started only 50 games in his career and his inexperience could play a big role in a big series. Bibby on the other hand has started 878 games in his career, inculding 80 playoff games. He knows what it takes to lead a playoff team deep into the playoffs. He will give me a good shooting option and 10 PPG, but his major contribution will be the leadership that teams need from their QB on the floor.

The matchup of Kobe vs JJ is probably my second biggest advantage, aside from bench which I will go into later. JJ has always been a great scorer in the regular season, and doesn't dissapoint in falling off come playoff time. JJ the past 2 seasons had a fairly consistant 110-112 offensive rating in the regular season, but once in the playoffs he loses his edge and can only boast a 94 and 100 offensive rating in succesive seasons. Defense also isn't one of his specialties, which will allow Kobe to do what he does best, and that is score and lead his team come the playoffs. On the subject of Kobe, he has been one of the best playoff performers of all time and his 5 rings show for that. Look for Kobe to get 25 and even more against JJ while Kobe, being one of the best defenders in the NBA, keeps JJ in check fairly easily.

The Frontcout:

Now these are two of the best frontcourts in all of the redraft. It starts with the matchup of Prince vs RJ at the Small Forward posistion. Both are solid scorers, and leaders on the court. However I definitely think Prince has a slight edge on both the offensive and defensive end. Prince has a very lengthy body type and his long arms can make problems for Jefferson. As a Nets fan, I have seen almost all of RJ's games and it is quite clear that he is best suited for a run and gun style of offense, not a slow halfcourt set like the Knicks are trying to use. He simply will not be as effective in this style of offense, as seen in his sudden drop of production when he played on the Bucks and Spurs, which used this same slow offensive scheme.

Now to the power forward which is also a great matchup. Now I'm not going to BS you by saying Love>Bosh. Bosh is one of the best bigs in the game while Love is still young and is still developing. Bosh has a great offensive game and to counteract that, we are definitely going to throw at him several different looks. He will see a mix of Love, Noah, and even some zone mixed in. Our gameplan will be to keep Bosh out of the paint and make him a jumpshooter. Sure he has a decent shot but he's no Dirk Nowitzki. If we keep forcing him into taking shots, he will miss more then he makes. Love on the offensive end, I feel is very underrated. He has a big body and can bang in the post with the best of them. He is also very versatile for a PF and can even shoot the 3, at a 33% clip. He will open the floor for Kobe and will be ready to knock down shots when open.

Noah vs Shaq is a battle of young and energy vs experience. Shaq can be a dominant force on his best days, but those days are long behind him. As shown in Cleveland last year, he can only play 25 minutes at a max per game. And when he is out there, he will have to deal with the athletic Noah. Noah is going to give him all types of fits on offense, defense, and on the glass. These two actually matched up in the first round of the playoffs last year and Noah's number's increased from the regular season, while Shaq's decreased. Noah dominated him on the glass, with a 13 to 6.2 advantage, more then DOUBLE. On the topic of the glass, I feel that is my biggest strength overall. Love and Noah can both average over 11 boards and game. Prince himself will chip in and we all saw Kobe in game 7 with his 15 rebounds. When the Knicks miss a shot, they won't be getting second chance opportunities.

The Bench:

The Bench is what really separates me from the Knicks. My bench has speed, offense, defense, rebounding, and size all raped in one and it is very deep. The Knicks on the other hand have 4 players coming off the bench out of posistion. James Johnson is a SF, Amir Johnson is 6'9 and is somehow going to play Center for 20+ minutes. Larry Hughes and Charlie Bell at PG? My bench is probably my pride and joy of this redraft. At PG I have TJ Ford coming in who can give me a lot of scoring off the bench, 10+ a game. James Harden is my 6th man and his versatility and scoring ability will be a huge boost, I expect another 10 PPG in around 20 minutes as he did for the Thunder in a similar situation. At SF I have two very complimentary players that I can bring in when needed. First is the experienced Jarvis Hayes who will be a good spot up shooter off the bench. As mentioned earlier. I also have Donte Greene who at 6'11 can cause problems for anyone they put on him. At PF and Center I have Taj Gibson, Matt Bonner, and Pops. Gibson can do it all: score, shoot, defend, and rebound and his energy will be a big boost off the bench. His familiarity with playing with Noah from their time on the Bulls will also be crucial. Bonner is a center with range as far as the 3 point line where he shoots it at a good rate for a center. Pops has size and can rebound in his limited minutes.

Overall I definitely think my team is superior. The Knicks are a great team and I was surprised with them being the 7th seed. The biggest case against my team which I am sure he will make is my lack of a second scoring option, which I feel is highly overated. My team really doesn't revolve around 2 superstars that need to be good for my team to win, which the Knicks will need. I have 8 guys that I am confident can get me 10+ points each night, along with Kobe who will be my main scorer and will see the ball always in the 4th quarter. I have shooters at every posistion, and possibly the best rebounding team in the re-draft. Those 2 factors plus a better bench and homecourt advantage should see me through in 5 or 6 games.

Knicks:

C-Shaq(26), Amir Johnson(22), Williams(0)
PF-Bosh(38), James Johnson(10),
SF-Jefferson(30), Derozan(18)
SG-Joe Johnson(30), Weems(18)
PG-G.Hill(30), Joe Johnson(8), Hughes(5), Bell(5)

Knicks Write-Up:

Overview: The Knicks will **** on these guys. They got Kobe and nothing else. No legit 2nd option. No legit post scoring. They got good defense which is nice but each of their players didn't even average more than 15 PPG other than Kobe so you can have good defense but you can't win averaging 70-80 PPG in the NBA.

Front court: S.O'neal and C.Bosh vs J.Noah and K.Love.

Bosh is clearly the best player out of the 4. Then add a big center that lives in the post in Shaq is a nice combo. Shaq is a nice body to support Bosh with rebounds and interior presense on the defensive and offensive side covering some of Bosh's weakness'. The scoring difference between the 2 frontcourt is big, Bosh and Shaq gets 35.7 PPG combined while Love and Noah gets 24.7 PPG combined. Also, Love or Noah aren't big enough to **** around with Shaq in the post because Shaq has more than 70 pounds on Love and Noah. On the defensive end, it shouldn't be a problem because neither Love or Noah is know for scoring. They will score around in the low teens at most.
Advantage-Knicks

Wing position: R.Jefferson and J.Johnson vs T.Prince and K.Bryant.

I'm gonna go straight to the point, they pretty much win. Kobe and Prince are both good defensively and they both combine for around 40 PPG. My wing should be decent enough to make up 3/4 of what Kobe and Prince do.
Advantage-Cavaliers

PG position: George Hill vs Mike Bibby.

They are both similar players. They can play the point but also excel being off the ball as they are good shooters. The difference between the 2 is that Hill is also good on defense while Bibby is average at best. Bibby is the better passer but having Joe Johnson beside Hill should cover up as JJ likes to handle the ball a lot so it allows Hill to be more of a shooter instead. Hill also has some playoff experience so Hill starting shouldn't be a problem. In the end, we should get this because Hill is younger and is a more rounded player.
Advantage-Knicks

jimbobjarree
07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm gunna vote Cavs purely cus of the first sentence of the Knicks write up

zambo4president
07-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, I think talent wise this was a great matchup. Then I started reading the writeups... I stopped after The Knicks first sentence of "The Knicks will **** on these guys" Guess what, being a cocky son of a ***** just lost it for you. Cavs win.

Westbrook36
07-13-2010, 01:44 PM
:laugh2:

I knew that would bite them hard when I read it.

VIP1349
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Easy win for the Cavs' just an all around better team, Knicks don't got enough of a bench.

roshan3ai
07-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Cavs here. And, to the Knicks, never start your write-up like this :
The Knicks will **** on these guys.

Ebbs
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Lol at knicks write up lmao so cocky. I honestly think cavs will have trouble getting scoring from anyone other then Kobe I have to think on this.

zambo4president
07-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Noah+Love+Gibby=Infinity Rebounds btw

roshan3ai
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Why wasn't this thread stickied as well?

Raidaz4Life
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I like the Cavs for their D and home court. The amount of hustle boards from Love and Noah will destroy the Knicks.

thesparky33
07-13-2010, 01:58 PM
In the playoffs, its all about rebounding. Like a few have already mentioned, Cavs would **** all over the Knicks in rebounds, lol.

Cavs take a close series.

The Raven
07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Cavs here. They seem to be the more balanced team that could play really well together

Ebbs
07-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I went with Knicks. Like everyone has said this is a dominant rebounding team. No the best front court but best rebounding duo for sure.

But I think Kobe averages around 27ish PPG in this and Prince maybe 13. Noah and love will both be in the 10-14 range, and Biby IMO would get his *** beat at both ends by Hill at this point. I just dont see one guy other then Kobe who is gonna step up and score 18-25 PPG. Where is Pau? He needs a second option.

Knicks Hill is gonna work the burnt bibby all day.

JJ will still get 18-21 PPG, Bosh is gonna get his points too. He is a top player because he is very versatile if you let him shoot 14-18 foot jumpers he will still burn you.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-13-2010, 03:04 PM
:laugh:

Ha I knew that I should have edited it.

IT was more of a joke and I thought people would get that. But O well.

zambo4president
07-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Well, looks like the jokes on you.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, looks like the jokes on you.

Yea I deserve a face palm on that.

Cavs looks like it world have won either way anyways.

gbpackers12
07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Cavs

zambo4president
07-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Yea I deserve a face palm on that.

Cavs looks like it world have won either way anyways.

I dunno dude you didn't put together a bad team. I think it would have been closer atleast.

Westbrook36
07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Anymore votes?

Ebbs
07-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Knicks should been higher in my mind. But whats done is done.

VCaintdead17
07-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm gunna vote Cavs purely cus of the first sentence of the Knicks write up

agreed

Raps08-09 Champ
07-13-2010, 11:28 PM
I dunno dude you didn't put together a bad team. I think it would have been closer atleast.

I think I should have been higher but me pissing everyone off in the Re-Draft lounge probably affected my ranking.

I thought I had a good chance of winning because Kobe didn't have a 2nd option. But I guess not.

Sportfan
07-14-2010, 07:41 AM
cavs are really overrated. knicks are better but ******* them for that writeup.

jj will stop kobe to 25 or under. whos gonna score for the cavs? knicks have 3 scorers and enough defense to win

KnicksorBust
07-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Cavs are my favorite team in this redraft. Kobe with shooters, defense, and rebounding monstars. I'm on the bandwagon. Tough break for the Knicks who after making a ton of trades ended up with a strong team.

Raidaz4Life
07-14-2010, 08:23 AM
cavs are really overrated. knicks are better but ******* them for that writeup.

jj will stop kobe to 25 or under. whos gonna score for the cavs? knicks have 3 scorers and enough defense to win

Kobe last year against ATL

Game 1: 41-8-3 52% shooting

Game 2: 28-3-4 57% shooting

JJ ain't stopping no one.

Sportfan
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Kobe last year against ATL

Game 1: 41-8-3 52% shooting

Game 2: 28-3-4 57% shooting

JJ ain't stopping no one.
Because basketball is always a one on one matchup :rolleyes: It's not like the players around JJ were also defending him.

And i could say the same about 2 years ago, when Kobe had 17points the 1st game, and 10 the 2nd.

Super.
07-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Fail

Raps08-09 Champ
07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Even if I didn't put that in my writeup, there is still a 23 point difference.

Robbw241
07-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Because basketball is always a one on one matchup :rolleyes: It's not like the players around JJ were also defending him.

And i could say the same about 2 years ago, when Kobe had 17points the 1st game, and 10 the 2nd.

Failz. Don't say "JJ will stop him" and then blame him for getting raped on help defense lmao.