PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs (2) Spurs vs. (7) Hornets

Westbrook36
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This second round match-up features the 2nd seeded San Antonio Spurs versus the 7th seeded New Orleans Hornets. The Spurs have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Spurs:

PG: Jason Kidd/Randy Foye/Marcus Williams
SG: Ronnie Brewer/Randy Foye/Wayne Ellington
SF: Caron Butler/Chase Budinger
PF: Tim Duncan/Channing Frye
C: Memhet Okur/Reggie Evans/Aaron Gray

Spurs Write-Up:

Goodluck to the Hornets, should be interesting.
PG: Jason Kidd vs. Steve Blake

Jason Kidd has been one of the best facilitator of the basketball for many years. He always makes players around him beter. In the last few years, he has added a 3 point shot to his repertoire. That even adds to what Kidd can do on the court, hes simply an all-star player. Hes a huge veteran to this team and the leader of the team along with Tim Duncan. Some people may say that they are past the primes, but during the playoffs we all know that veterans generally play better. Last season he averaged 10 PPG 10 APG 6 RPG. He also shot 43% from the 3pt line. Meanwhile, Steve Blake has always been a backup pg. He was third string on the Blazers last year. Hes a solid player, but Jason Kidd is a hall of fame player.

SG: Ronnie Brewer vs. Kevin Martin

This is the only advantage that the Hornets have. Kevin Martin is a solid scoring option. In our opinion, he is not a number one option though. He likes to shoot the ball but only shoots 35% from the arc. Where Martin is their best offensive weapon, Ronnie Brewer's defense matches up well against Martin. Brewer has been a shutdown perimeter defender for a few years now. He has no fear against any wing player in the game. His offensive game is not as well known but still averages 10 ppg and shoots 52% from the field. He is a good slasher that gets many dunks as well. We feel like his goal is to slow down Martin which will be the key to this series. With shutting down Martin it will make it hard for the rest of the team to work together.

SF: Caron Butler vs. Corey Brewer

Caron Butler was an all star not too long ago, however his numbers dropped last year because of the team he played for. He is an excellent slasher as well as a good three point shooter. His defensive game is much underrated, and he shouldnt have too much problem with Corey Brewer. Butler is known as a team player and someone who is willing to do anything to help the team, with this team he will be that perfect player on the wing. Corey Brewer is still relatively unknown. He has a solid or decent defensive game and started to score slightly this past season. We think that Caron will be too much for Brewer to handle and any offensive game that Brewer has will be contained by Caron. Its pretty clear that Caron Butler will prevail in this matchup.

PF: Tim Duncan vs. Kevin Garnett

Two of the best power forwards ever to play the game going against each other, might I add hall of famers. Tim Duncan has been one of the best players this decade and considered the best power forward of all time, hes had a remarkable career. His three championship rings prove that. Even with his age, he still averaged 19.0 PPG, 10 RPG, 2 BPG. He shoots over 50 percent from the field. He is so good that we can play him at the 4/5 depending on who the Hornets lineup. Garnett seems to be slipping with his age. His numbers go down every year. Even though injuries do not count, he is injury prone. In the playoffs, he would be worn down from the regular season. He was the worst player of the big 4 in Boston. He is still magical at the defensive end, however his offensive game is lacking as he gets older. Duncan's strength will overmatch KG; Duncan has the best post moves in the entire NBA. I dont consider him to be worn down at all; he generally saves a whole lot of energy for the playoffs.

Memo Okur vs. Andrew Bynum

Okur had his numbers dip a bit because of nagging injuries, but he still was able to average 14 PPG and 7 RPG. His ability to stretch the floor only helps out Duncan down low. Bynum can not cover him outside the arc. If KG plays him, then Duncan will have a field day on the foul prone Bynum. Okur is the best Center that Duncan has played with and Duncan still has won 3 championships. Okur is Matt Bonner times fifty next to Tim Duncan, his ability to stretch the defense will only help. Bynum is a nice player but has not refined his offensive game. He likes to work down low getting offensive rebounds and gets most of his points a few feet from the basket. Okur will make Bynum move all over the place, only making him weak on the offensive side of the ball. While Okur has a body to bang downlow with Bynum a bit, along with Duncan on the help.

Hornets:

C: Andrew Bynum / Sean Williams
PF: Kevin Garnett / Al Thornton / Earl Clark
SF: Corey Brewer / Luke Walton
SG: Kevin Martin / Gerald Henderson / Rodney Carney
PG: Steve Blake / Chris Quinn

Hornets Write-Up:

The Post: Id like to see how many teams score in the paint against this team. The advantage to our lineup is that our two starting big men are both top 4 players that their positions, and pride themselves of post defense. We have two players down low that can match up with any other teams 4 and 5 and lock them down defensively. Bynum and Garnett both are athletic, quick for their positions, and cause havoc in the paint. Bynum is also a very good offensive threat in the paint as well, and KG can knock down that 17-foot shot with the best of them at the PF position. They are essentially the PERFECT compliments to each other, at two of the most important position in the game. If you have no post offense or post defense, your team will not have a shot at being successful, and we are lucky enough to have two players that are very good on both ends of the court. Off the bench the change of pace players come in and do work as well. Thornton is a SF/PF player that can get out and run, and score with the best of the backups in the league, while Sean Williams is a block machine. Earl Clark is a young talent who plays every possession hard, and that is all you can ask of your 3rd big man off the bench.

The Wings: The wing players on this team mesh very well. Corey Brewer is the defensive player on the wings that will defend the opposing teams best wing threat, and give him FITS. Brewer is long, athletic, has great lateral quickness, and has shown he is a winner from his Florida days. Its just a shame people have slept on his talent because he is in Minny. He is also has increased his 3pt shooting since the time he has been in the league, which is perfect because that is what we wanted to surround our post with. 3pt shooters on the offensive end. The other wing spot goes to Kevin Martin. Martin is a lights out scorer, and has been that since his college days. Hes a career 38% shooter from 3, and has a mid range shot that rivals the best of them. With Brewer defending the top wing player, and the lock down post defense behind him, Martin will be able to focus on his main goal on this team, and thats to drop buckets. Off the bench we have the best of all worlds again. Luke Walton is a shooter, who can spread the floor and is a proven winner with the Lakers. Helps out the kick outs from the paint once again. Henderson and Carney are both long athletic wings that will get after it on both ends, and create problems on defense for opposing bench wings.

The PG play: This is Steve Blakes time to shine. Weve given him two huge threats in the paint, which is what any PG drools over. Weve given him a wing scorer that can light it up any given night, and weve played to his strengths. Blake can hit the 3 ball at a career 40% clip. Which will only go up once he gets the open looks out of the Bynum double teams, or the Garnett pick and rolls. Im very confident Blake would shine on a team like this.

roshan3ai
07-13-2010, 01:36 PM
The Spurs are so well rounded. I think they prevail in 6 games here.

zambo4president
07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
That Spurs team, is almost the same one I put together last redraft. And I didn't make the playoffs... So we will stick to that logic. Hornets win.

ShakeN'Bake
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
spurs

The Raven
07-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Spurs here. I like the fact that you got Jason Kidd over Steve Blake

Ebbs
07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Hornets Front court defs is special. K martin is good but I had him at one point and im not super high on him. I actually prefer Caron Butler.

Spurs in 6

Raps08-09 Champ
07-13-2010, 02:55 PM
I accidentally voted Spurs. Disregard my vote.

Ebbs
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I accidentally voted Spurs. Disregard my vote.

why?

gbpackers12
07-13-2010, 03:15 PM
San Antonio.

Raidaz4Life
07-13-2010, 03:18 PM
I actually like the Hornets a lot more in this one. Bynum and KG are a ridiculous tandem when healthy.

roshan3ai
07-13-2010, 03:18 PM
why?

:confused: Because he voted for the Spurs accidentally and meant to vote for the Hornets???

Ebbs
07-13-2010, 03:26 PM
:confused: Because he voted for the Spurs accidentally and meant to vote for the Hornets???

lol I hope thats not why.