PDA

View Full Version : How long do Lakers have until they have to sign the two draft picks?

Lakeshow86
07-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I know Lakers have the rights to be the only ones to sign them unless they are let go. My question is when do they have to offer them a contact? I imagine they have to offer them a contract or forfeit the rights and they become free agents.

gr824
07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I know Lakers have the rights to be the only ones to sign them unless they are let go. My question is when do they have to offer them a contact? I imagine they have to offer them a contract or forfeit the rights and they become free agents.

Quite the contrary ... If the Lakers want to bring them to camp, then they have to sign them to contracts. That is non-problematic, assuming they both make the 15-man roster. If they are waived, though, then they become FAs ...

On the other hand, if the Lakers do not sign them to deals, then the Lakers could retain their NBA draft rights for another year or longer [ essentially indefinitely ] and stash them on a team overseas for 'seasoning', as they did with Elonu from the 2009 draft ...

That is why I have written many times that Ebanks and Caracter will come to training camp if, and ONLY IF, the Lakers are relatively certain they will ultimately make the team. Los Angeles does not want either of these guys becoming the J. R. Pinnock of this decade ...

IDB Josh M
07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Quite the contrary ... If the Lakers want to bring them to camp, then they have to sign them to contracts. That is non-problematic, assuming they both make the 15-man roster. If they are waived, though, then they become FAs ...

On the other hand, if the Lakers do not sign them to deals, then the Lakers could retain their NBA draft rights for another year or longer [ essentially indefinitely ] and stash them on a team overseas for 'seasoning', as they did with Elonu from the 2009 draft ...

That is why I have written many times that Ebanks and Caracter will come to training camp if, and ONLY IF, the Lakers are relatively certain they will ultimately make the team. Los Angeles does not want either of these guys becoming the J. R. Pinnock of this decade ...

Excuse my noobishness ... but who or what is a JR Pinnock?

gr824
07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Excuse my noobishness ... but who or what is a JR Pinnock?

Pinnock is an American with Panamanian parents who was drafted in the second round by the Dallas Mavericks in Summer, 2006 and was immediately traded to the Lakers. Subsequently, he was the most impressive Laker player in the Summer Pro League that year ...

At that time, roster spots on the big club were in a limited state of flux, yet the FO felt they had to earmarked them for more veteran, 'safer' bets who could be counted on to produce contribution immediately, not down the line [ plus, a lot of those guys had guaranteed contracts :eyebrow: ] .

The Lakers saw Pinnock as an athletic, talented 'swingman', who had a ton of potential, especially on the defensive end, but they felt he was a 'project' in terms of being ready for the NBA. The FO wanted Pinnock to accept that fact and play overseas for a season or two and try for his Laker/NBA chance down the road. But Pinnock, somewhat young and stubborn, apparently, believed he had earned a camp invitation by his play in Summer League [ which the Lakers could not really contest ] and he insisted they allow him to try to make the squad. Against their better judgment, the Lakers relented and brought him to camp, where he was ultimately and predictably waived prior to the regular season start ...

As a result, the Lakers lost his rights and, I guess, their interest ... and Pinnock evidently lost his way ... He has since played in the D-League a bit and in Germany, plus he has starred for the national team of Panama in several international tournaments ... But he has had no NBA career, despite [ probably ] having NBA talent ...

LifeLongLaker
07-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Pinnock is an American with Panamanian parents who was drafted in the second round by the Dallas Mavericks in Summer, 2006 and was immediately traded to the Lakers. Subsequently, he was the most impressive Laker player in the Summer Pro League that year ...

At that time, roster spots on the big club were in a limited state of flux, yet the FO felt they had to earmarked them for more veteran, 'safer' bets who could be counted on to produce contribution immediately, not down the line [ plus, a lot of those guys had guaranteed contracts :eyebrow: ] .

The Lakers saw Pinnock as an athletic, talented 'swingman', who had a ton of potential, especially on the defensive end, but they felt he was a 'project' in terms of being ready for the NBA. The FO wanted Pinnock to accept that fact and play overseas for a season or two and try for his Laker/NBA chance down the road. But Pinnock, somewhat young and stubborn, apparently, believed he had earned a camp invitation by his play in Summer League [ which the Lakers could not really contest ] and he insisted they allow him to try to make the squad. Against their better judgment, the Lakers relented and brought him to camp, where he was ultimately and predictably waived prior to the regular season start ...

As a result, the Lakers lost his rights and, I guess, their interest ... and Pinnock evidently lost his way ... He has since played in the D-League a bit and in Germany, plus he has starred for the national team of Panama in several international tournaments ... But he has had no NBA career, despite [ probably ] having NBA talent ...

Wow. Interesting Post. Thank you.