PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for DenverNuggets fans to officially be worried about this offseason?

DenButsu
07-13-2010, 10:35 AM
My latest blog... (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/blog.php?b=755)

--------------------------

I think most of the posters who have been here for a while would agree that I have mostly been supportive of the current front office in terms of their general approach and in terms of their specific decision making. There have been a few times, such as when they didn't pull the trigger on Linas Kleiza for Ron Artest, , or failed to use the trade exception gained by dumping Marcus Camby's salary, when I disagreed with their choice (even though I could understand the logic behind it). But there have been more times when I have been impressed by their ability to find quality pieces at bargain prices (Arron Afflalo and Chris Andersen), to make the occasional big deal at timely opportunities (Allen Iverson and Chauncey Billups), and to make the right cost cutting moves (Camby).

But to me, the moves they have made this offseason - which can be perfectly summed up in one word: "None" - have engendered some serious skepticism about their competence in dealing with other teams and attracting talent to Denver. he Nuggets desperately need to add frontcourt depth to their roster. But the list of forwards and centers who they failed to acquire before other teams grabbed them up first just keeps growing longer and longer. Al Jefferson. Udonis Haslem. Jermaine O'Neal. Ben Wallace. Tyrus Thomas. Travis Outlaw. And the beat goes on...

The Nuggets still hold several tradeable assets; in a very talented (but somewhat toxic by reputation) J.R. Smith, the expiring contract of Kenyon Martin, a great defensive role player in Arron Afflalo, and, should they choose to delve into more quasi-untouchable territory, Nene and Chauncey Billups. However, with the departure of Johan Petro, any trade involving one of their bigs is extremely risky, and trading one for another does nothing to add to depth.

Additionally, it's at this stage impossible to gauge not only the veracity of the various rumors regarding whether Carmelo Anthony intends (or not) to sign the extension the Nuggets have put on the table before him, which would keep him in Denver at least until 2015, but also the impact these rumors may be having in distancing potential free agents. Did Haslem reject greater income in Denver purely because he's chasing a ring, or was it also because he believes Melo won't be with the Nuggets beyond the 2010-11 season? (And for this, Denver thanks you for stirring the pot, Mark Kiszla, and we hope you will get the hell out of dodge and find yourself a happy home at your natural habitat, the New York Post).

At any rate, two things are clear, and are clearly dovetailing each other: One, that the future of the Nuggets hinges on whether Melo signs his extension offer or not, and two, whether the front office brass in the Pepsi Center can bring in a big gun or two which will serve to convince Melo to stick around. But as yet, Nuggets fans have not seen many indications that the management has the ability to make a convincing case for Anthony to stick around.

It's not time yet for Nuggets fans to throw in the towel yet. But after this whole-lotta-nothin' which has defined the Nuggets' offseason thus far, if they fail to bring in a big gun or two, and fail to make the case to Melo that he needs to stick around, then off with their freakin' heads. Two years ago Western Conference finalists, and so quickly it comes to this? There must be accountability.

Hopefully, it won't come to that. But at this point, I'm no longer holding my breath.

S-Dot
07-13-2010, 10:43 AM
I think so. You guys were linked to some Al Jefferson rumors earlier also, but nothing seemed to progress. I would respect Melo if he thugged it out with the Nuggets and signed the extension, but I couldn't be mad at him for taking his talents elsewhere either.

This team is not as healthy as the 2009 team, which showed great promise. The unfortunate George Karl situation last season which led to Dantley becoming coach hurt this team alot in the playoffs. Nene didn't have a second big man to help him score in the post, and take some of the load off of him. Afflalo just isn't a starting shooting guard on a championship contending team in my opinion.

The Nuggets showed such promise but now it seems to be going downhill this offseason. If they want to keep Melo, they need to do something quickly...if they can.

fadedmario
07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes it is. And denver and OKC are the only other teams I like. Carmelo is going to the Knicks. I'd trade him now for Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Danilo Gallinari, and future 1st round picks. It sounds like alot, but i guarantee the Knicks would do it to get Carmelo in NY

fadedmario
07-13-2010, 10:48 AM
JR Smith also could be included sending him to NY

Bryrob58
07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
:clap: excellent addition to your blogs.

I think the most reasonable thing the Nuggets could do is to move K Mart's expiring for a legit big. Easier said than done, I know, but a borderline all star C/PF should be the top priority for them. As for depth, I would say a simple move of bench players would do the trick, I wouldn't worry.

I would say that moving K Mart for the best talent up front available is more important than Carmelo signing an extension, because if such a talent is brought in that domino should fall.

liliverson819
07-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes i am a nuggets fan and i am worried day after day team after team makes deals while the nuggets do nothing but give us fans rumors that never pan out and with all this of Melo CP3 and Amare in NY in the next two years i am very worried.

Raoul Duke
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM

I think most of the posters who have been here for a while would agree that I have mostly been supportive of the current front office in terms of their general approach and in terms of their specific decision making. There have been a few times, such as when they didn't pull the trigger on Linas Kleiza for Ron Artest, , or failed to use the trade exception gained by dumping Marcus Camby's salary, when I disagreed with their choice (even though I could understand the logic behind it). But there have been more times when I have been impressed by their ability to find quality pieces at bargain prices (Arron Afflalo and Chris Andersen), to make the occasional big deal at timely opportunities (Allen Iverson and Chauncey Billups), and to make the right cost cutting moves (Camby).

But to me, the moves they have made this offseason - which can be perfectly summed up in one word: "None" - have engendered some serious skepticism about their competence in dealing with other teams and attracting talent to Denver. he Nuggets desperately need to add frontcourt depth to their roster. But the list of forwards and centers who they failed to acquire before other teams grabbed them up first just keeps growing longer and longer. Al Jefferson. Udonis Haslem. Jermaine O'Neal. Ben Wallace. Tyrus Thomas. Travis Outlaw. And the beat goes on...

The Nuggets still hold several tradeable assets; in a very talented (but somewhat toxic by reputation) J.R. Smith, the expiring contract of Kenyon Martin, a great defensive role player in Arron Afflalo, and, should they choose to delve into more quasi-untouchable territory, Nene and Chauncey Billups. However, with the departure of Johan Petro, any trade involving one of their bigs is extremely risky, and trading one for another does nothing to add to depth.

Additionally, it's at this stage impossible to gauge not only the veracity of the various rumors regarding whether Carmelo Anthony intends (or not) to sign the extension the Nuggets have put on the table before him, which would keep him in Denver at least until 2015, but also the impact these rumors may be having in distancing potential free agents. Did Haslem reject greater income in Denver purely because he's chasing a ring, or was it also because he believes Melo won't be with the Nuggets beyond the 2010-11 season? (And for this, Denver thanks you for stirring the pot, Mark Kiszla, and we hope you will get the hell out of dodge and find yourself a happy home at your natural habitat, the New York Post).

At any rate, two things are clear, and are clearly dovetailing each other: One, that the future of the Nuggets hinges on whether Melo signs his extension offer or not, and two, whether the front office brass in the Pepsi Center can bring in a big gun or two which will serve to convince Melo to stick around. But as yet, Nuggets fans have not seen many indications that the management has the ability to make a convincing case for Anthony to stick around.

It's not time yet for Nuggets fans to throw in the towel yet. But after this whole-lotta-nothin' which has defined the Nuggets' offseason thus far, if they fail to bring in a big gun or two, and fail to make the case to Melo that he needs to stick around, then off with their freakin' heads. Two years ago Western Conference finalists, and so quickly it comes to this? There must be accountability.

Hopefully, it won't come to that. But at this point, I'm no longer holding my breath.

The part that I bolded is full of names that you shouldn't fret over. Ben was never going to sign with anybody other than Detroit, Haslem has strong roots in Miami, and you woulda needed cap space or a sizable exception to satisfy what Minny wants in return for Aljeff.

Still, I can totally understand your frustration. Yours is a team that seems to be on the brink of something great, but they've been right there for a couple years now and that window started to close as soon as it opened. I think Denver can contend if they can just keep all their pieces healthy and focused next season, and that includes their coach.

As for the lack of movement so far this summer, IIRC the AI/Billups deal happened in late October.

S-Dot
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes it is. And denver and OKC are the only other teams I like. Carmelo is going to the Knicks. I'd trade him now for Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Danilo Gallinari, and future 1st round picks. It sounds like alot, but i guarantee the Knicks would do it to get Carmelo in NY

Though it may seem like a lop-sided trade, I think you're right. If they feel he's leaving, get as much value as you can for him instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Da Knicks
07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Melo would be great in New York love his game but this is a lil early to start speculating would hate for Denver to go through the Cleveland thing.

Thisisouryear!!
07-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Yes, they havent done anything....and Melo seems attracted to NY.

_Supreme_
07-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I think like Denbutsu said it could depend on what Carmelo does first.

If he signs the extension there could be moves quickly after that.

If he doesn't sign it then maybe the FO should quietly start considering a semi-rebuilding process and/or explore sign & trade options.

Obviously the moves that would be made are very different in each scenario. At the same time the longer the Melo decision lasts the more players will likely become unavailable.

kobemelo
07-13-2010, 11:07 AM
nope. were in mid-july

remember when we got billups it was early-season and not in the offseason
there's still a long ways to go no need to worry yet

SluggeR
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
If everyone knows or feels Melo is gone, it wouldn't make sense for the Knicks to give up "too" much. The nuggets lose leverage if everyone knows Melo isn't coming back. The Knicks package should start with a healthy, in-shape, contract motivated, expiring contract Curry/Chandler/etc. No Galli, push come to shove; the Knicks can just wait until Melo becomes a free agent. Personally, making a deal for CP3 would be my objective this year(for the knicks).

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Melo+CP3+Amare?? OMG!!!

Lo Porto
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
As a Jazz fan, I'm shocked that the Nuggets have done nothing this offseason. I know they are waiting on Melo's decision, but it's not like his extension would affect this year's money anyway.

The longer Denver waits the more likely that Melo passes on the extension and Denver will get less and less for Melo.

JonnyBrav000
07-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Melo to the Knicks... Hope this happens... Make it happen Donnie!

fadedmario
07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
If everyone knows or feels Melo is gone, it wouldn't make sense for the Knicks to give up "too" much. The nuggets lose leverage if everyone knows Melo isn't coming back. The Knicks package should start with a healthy, in-shape, contract motivated, expiring contract Curry/Chandler/etc. No Galli, push come to shove; the Knicks can just wait until Melo becomes a free agent. Personally, making a deal for CP3 would be my objective this year(for the knicks).

And go through the same thing Chicago, New Jersey, NY, Cleveland, did with Lebron? No way. If Carmelo insists on not signing the extension, he could be moved before the season or deadline. You never know what the future holds. LA could become interested in a trade for Carmelo. Carmelo has said publicly that he considers Bryant his big brother. If NY wants Carmelo, get him now. Don't wait, you never know what will happen. People's interests change.

uws
07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
id be worried because of all the public comments from paul and "sources" close to melo

i never want a guy on my team who is trashing me and saying he is leaving, thats just not right

that being said, id love to see him in NY, but if he carries that same attitude at any point i would be quite sour

S-Dot
07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
And go through the same thing Chicago, New Jersey, NY, Cleveland, did with Lebron? No way. If Carmelo insists on not signing the extension, he could be moved before the season or deadline. You never know what the future holds. LA could become interested in a trade for Carmelo. Carmelo has said publicly that he considers Bryant his big brother. If NY wants Carmelo, get him now. Don't wait, you never know what will happen. People's interests change.

:clap::clap:

3RDASYSTEM
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats what the Nuggs get for trading AI/CAMBY way too soon and not pulling trigger on ARTEST/KLEIZA deal cause the guy they coveted so much end up leaving the yr after to overseas....then yall go from WCF to 1st round exit....pretty much a wash blockbuster trade if ya ask me...AI played one ''FULL'' season with MELO and the BBall idiots of the world said it was a failure....now they need BIGS and they could have used AI killer toughness/game against JAZZ....but i didnt hear a whisper in the media how the NUGGS bowed out first round after making WCF....but boy did i hear bout it on the other side in 09..thats what your cheap billionaire owner get for playing scared...how can you play with scared money and you're a billioinaire...

S-Dot
07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Thats what the Nuggs get for trading AI/CAMBY way too soon and not pulling trigger on ARTEST/KLEIZA deal cause the guy they coveted so much end up leaving the yr after to overseas....then yall go from WCF to 1st round exit....pretty much a wash blockbuster trade if ya ask me...AI played one ''FULL'' season with MELO and the BBall idiots of the world said it was a failure....now they need BIGS and they could have used AI killer toughness/game against JAZZ....but i didnt hear a whisper in the media how the NUGGS bowed out first round after making WCF....but boy did i hear bout it on the other side in 09..thats what your cheap billionaire owner get for playing scared...how can you play with scared money and you're a billioinaire...

I agree with Camby, but AI for Billups was a great trade. Chauncey was the difference from them being eliminated easily in the 1st rd by the lakers in 2008 to competing with them in the WCF in 2009.

fadedmario
07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree with Camby, but AI for Billups was a great trade. Chauncey was the difference from them being eliminated easily in the 1st rd by the lakers in 2008 to competing with them in the WCF in 2009.

Yeah Chauncey can ball. The Pistons have been terrible without him. We still have Hamilton, Prince, Wallace, and without Billups our team sucks. He controls a game as good as any PG in the league in my opinion.

youknowwho1975
07-13-2010, 12:04 PM
"Yes it is. And denver and OKC are the only other teams I like. Carmelo is going to the Knicks. I'd trade him now for Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Danilo Gallinari, and future 1st round picks. It sounds like alot, but i guarantee the Knicks would do it to get Carmelo in NY"

There is no way the knicks trade away a kings ransom for Melo. It's not that he would not be worth it, but at the end of the day his heart wants to come home and since he was born and bred in NYC he has his sights set. Why would the Knicks give away all of their chips to the nuggets??? Makes no sense when we can get him as a free agent next year...Besides I think Felton Stoudemire Gallinari and Wilson all probably starting the Knicks need to see what they have with these young guys before they make any trades involving them. I see Gallinari along the lines of Dirk or Bird (light) and Chandler has bulked up and I think he could be a lot better than people give him credit for. I would hate to lose him only to see him develop into a premier player and I think he has the skill set to be very good and he also seems like a bright and genuine kid....

Raoul Duke
07-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Dude, there is on way Melo leaves all that money on the table and risks putting together a new deal under a new CBA.

I'm not the most knowledgable guy on here regarding the cap and the CBA, so if I'm wrong in assuming that thats what he'd be doing by waiting another year and opting out, then I apologize. Can someone who knows please hip me to the facts?

uws
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
"Yes it is. And denver and OKC are the only other teams I like. Carmelo is going to the Knicks. I'd trade him now for Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Danilo Gallinari, and future 1st round picks. It sounds like alot, but i guarantee the Knicks would do it to get Carmelo in NY"

There is no way the knicks trade away a kings ransom for Melo. It's not that he would not be worth it, but at the end of the day his heart wants to come home and since he was born and bred in NYC he has his sights set. Why would the Knicks give away all of their chips to the nuggets??? Makes no sense when we can get him as a free agent next year...Besides I think Felton Stoudemire Gallinari and Wilson all probably starting the Knicks need to see what they have with these young guys before they make any trades involving them. I see Gallinari along the lines of Dirk or Bird (light) and Chandler has bulked up and I think he could be a lot better than people give him credit for. I would hate to lose him only to see him develop into a premier player and I think he has the skill set to be very good and he also seems like a bright and genuine kid....

well said

I think any kind of trade would be curry, chandler (who I also DO NOT want to give up), and maybe one of the 2nd rounders we picked up along the way with all this trading stuff we've been up to. I dont think that we will give up much because knicks management is for once being patient and have faith that if they wait to the offseason they wont need to give up anything to get him, which IMO would be ideal (I want to keep will at all costs!)

Lo Porto
07-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Dude, there is on way Melo leaves all that money on the table and risks putting together a new deal under a new CBA.

I'm not the most knowledgable guy on here regarding the cap and the CBA, so if I'm wrong in assuming that thats what he'd be doing by waiting another year and opting out, then I apologize. Can someone who knows please hip as to the facts?

You make a great point, but the Melo deal on the table is 3 years $65 million. The Knicks would give him way more years and provide those marketing opportunities that Denver just can't provide.

Even in a new CBA, I bet that Melo could still get around $100 contract from NY in some way, shape or form...

Weezy
07-13-2010, 12:16 PM
It is early for this. We will see what happens.

Allstar21
07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
the nuggets are going to be stuck in a gross holding pattern

Melo won't sign his extension until management gets him some quality players around him
the nuggets wont take on huge contracts (IE get some stars) unless melo sign his extension

if nobody breaks first....Melo becomes a FA or is traded by the deadline

also...JR SMITH IS GOD

cheetos185
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
You make a great point, but the Melo deal on the table is 3 years $65 million. The Knicks would give him way more years and provide those marketing opportunities that Denver just can't provide.

Even in a new CBA, I bet that Melo could still get around $100 contract from NY in some way, shape or form...

knicks will offer him endorsement deals that lebron was offered something around 1billion $$$ he could make if he stays lifetime knicks it would be good business he returns home lifts the knicks to playoffs becomes hometown hero :)

Raoul Duke
07-13-2010, 12:28 PM

What if theres a lockout? How much money would he make then?

If what people are saying about the next CBA is true, max salaries would be capped somewhere under 15 million. I can dig the logic that he may leave a small amount of money on the table in order to be in a great situation where he gets the recognition and success that he feels he deserves, but how much is too much?

JordansBulls
07-13-2010, 12:29 PM

I wonder why the Nuggets don't try to get someone like Scola to play PF instead of Kmart.

jimbobjarree
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
lol it starts off as should Denver fans be worried, and ends off as aww yeah Melo to New York would be so good. Typical PSD NBA forum.

Utah were in the same boat. We were getting all down as we'd done nothing (but unlike you watched 3 key guys sign with other teams). All I can say is hang in there, your next big move could be right around the corner just like ours was. Phoenix knocked one down, then we did, maybe Denver will increase its aggression in the market now?

BlkProphet79
07-13-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm not the most knowledgable guy on here regarding the cap and the CBA, so if I'm wrong in assuming that thats what he'd be doing by waiting another year and opting out, then I apologize. Can someone who knows please hip me to the facts?

The thing is that Melo can sign the new deal and still be traded to another team. Say he does want to go to NY, he simply re-ups on his Denver contract with a condition that he be traded to NY.

boolish
07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
if the nuggets were a stock I wouldn't own it....

boolish
07-13-2010, 12:45 PM
mello is in a bad spot. he could make a lot more money in Denver if he signed now. But he knows they will never win a title given the big 3 in miami even if they did get pas the Lakers. he could go to NYK in a sign and trade. but max money is going to be less when he gets to do this. Mello made a strategic mistake by taking that extra year.

losbreezy
07-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Theyll be fine

Raoul Duke
07-13-2010, 01:18 PM
The thing is that Melo can sign the new deal and still be traded to another team. Say he does want to go to NY, he simply re-ups on his Denver contract with a condition that he be traded to NY.

How does that work if a new CBA goes into effect? Would a sign and trade net him the same payscale, or would any new deal be held to the restrictions imposed by the new CBA regardless of where he signs?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just ignorant as to how that would work. What I hear and what I've read indicates that if he lets his current contract expire and becomes unrestricted, his new contract would be based on whatever CBA is in place at that time in the context of max starting salary and annual raises.

agnine
07-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Either the Knicks or Lakers get him in the next few months.2 future 1st round picks and LAL) Odom and change (whoever, so long as it keeps the major core together) and NYK) Galinarri/chandler. Just my thoughts.

agnine
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Does the team a player get traded to get said players bird rights? interested to find out.

Melo15
07-13-2010, 01:53 PM
As a Nuggets fan I am a little worried. We still have a solid team but we don't have too much depth. With Nene and K-Mart we know that they are solid players but they are also injury prone. We only really have Birdman behind them that could give us solid minutes and there aren't very many good big men on the market. I want to see us bring in Shaq. He still clogs up the paint and can give you solid minutes.

HornetsSolution
07-13-2010, 01:53 PM
mello is in a bad spot. he could make a lot more money in Denver if he signed now. But he knows they will never win a title given the big 3 in miami even if they did get pas the Lakers. he could go to NYK in a sign and trade. but max money is going to be less when he gets to do this. Mello made a strategic mistake by taking that extra year.

I disagree. Melo holds all the cards in this 1. He can basically get traded to any team he wants because if you think about it any team trade for him is going to want him to sign that extension. Its pretty clear he wants to play with his friends. Rather it be 1 or more than 1.

DenButsu
07-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I wonder why the Nuggets don't try to get someone like Scola to play PF instead of Kmart.

In that specific case, my guess is that they believe the Rockets would just match their offer anyhow.