PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 if draft was held today

Red Hot Rolllin
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
After watching Summer League action I think many GMs would draft dif. and if the draft was held today I see the Top 10 picks going more like this.

#1 Wiz -- Wall
#2 Sixers -- Cousins
#3 Nets -- Turner
#4 Wolves -- Favors
#5 Kings -- Wes Johnson
#6 Warriors -- Greg Monroe
#7 Pistons -- Ed Davis
#8 Clippers -- Paul George
#9 Jazz -- Luke Babbitt
#10 Pacers -- Gordan Hayward

VinceCarter
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Damion James.

arkanian215
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
It's just summer league.

Korman12
07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Don't put too much value in the summer league games. Lots of players had fine careers after mediocre summers - there's just not enough valued information to determine if GM's made a mistake after five games.

gbpackers12
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't think much would change at all, except maybe the Magic wouldn't draft Orton.

DaddyCool
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
So if we had an all time draft based on summer leagues, Marco Belinelli would go number 1 overall right?

arkanian215
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Donte Greene would be up there same with Nate the Great.

B2theRY
07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
WTF

how does it change
when no ones played a game?

Kimikaze
07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
it's just summer league and they've only played like 3 games a piece if that

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
thread fail

SugeKnight
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
stephen curry turned it over like crazy and shot 25% in summer league and he was a top 3 rookie.

LA_Raiders
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
summer leagus doesnt mean ****...

LAkers has 2 of the top 3 best players so far...

DerekRE_3
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Well...for the record Cousins should have gone #2 regardless of summer league performances. A 19 year old center with that much skill should never go #5, especially in a weaker draft.

Bryrob58
07-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Well...for the record Cousins should have gone #2 regardless of summer league performances. A 19 year old center with that much skill should never go #5, especially in a weaker draft.

Yea because usually teams deep into rebuilding mode want a guy with major red flags as their future. C'mon now.

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 10:47 PM

dude please stop the homerism

Iodine
07-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Yea because usually teams deep into rebuilding mode want a guy with major red flags as their future. C'mon now.

So even though he's never gotten kicked out of a HS or stole a car he has red flags?

DerekRE_3
07-12-2010, 10:48 PM
dude please stop the homerism

It's not just me saying it:

John Hollinger's well-tuned draft rater projects Cousins as the best NBA player in this class:

[T]here is one prospect who rates as an A-list talent, a freshman from the University of Kentucky named …

DeMarcus Cousins.

You were expecting somebody else?

Cousins has the fifth-highest rating in the Draft Rater's nine seasons evaluated. (The Draft Rater goes back to 2002, as college data from before that year are too spotty to use.)

Based on that, the outlook for Cousins is quite positive. Of the eight previous players from 2002 to 2008 to rate 15.0 or higher, four became superstars: Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul. Of the other four, three have been very productive starters -- Rudy Gay, Luol Deng and Drew Gooden -- and one became, well, Mike Conley. We had another three last year, and from that trio, one was awesome (Tyreke Evans), one was good (Ty Lawson) and one didn't play a game (Blake Griffin).

Source: ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17039/truehoop-dossier-demarcus-cousins)

Also in his workout with the Nets he handled Derrick Favors easily. He was making mid range jumpers, his post game and footwork are well documented, and he can pass out of double teams and hit cutters from the post. Oh and he averaged a rebound about every 2 minutes in college.

AIsixersFK
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Uhhh I think u kept wall at 1 and just moved cousins to the 2nd spot and just dropped everyone down a spot

D1JM
07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
why dont we let them play first than after the entire season we can rank them again

Bryrob58
07-12-2010, 10:56 PM
So even though he's never gotten kicked out of a HS or stole a car he has red flags?

When your fatter then Shaq was at his age, you have red flags. I personally think he will be a dominant center but you have to think that Turner is a safer pick. Blah blah injury blah blah ET and Wes Johnson are much safer picks then Cousins.

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 10:56 PM
It's not just me saying it:

Source: ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17039/truehoop-dossier-demarcus-cousins)

Also in his workout with the Nets he handled Derrick Favors easily. He was making mid range jumpers, his post game and footwork are well documented, and he can pass out of double teams and hit cutters from the post. Oh and he averaged a rebound about every 2 minutes in college.

dude you are not a philly fan... Evan Turner is/was our hope for something great. No matter how well either player turns out Evan Turner was the unanimous #2 overall pick of the 2010 NBA draft.

And please when referencing anything here and trying to sound credible please exclude anything based on John Hollinger's analysis.

DerekRE_3
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
dude you are not a philly fan... Evan Turner is/was our hope for something great. No matter how well either player turns out Evan Turner was the unanimous #2 overall pick of the 2010 NBA draft.

And please when referencing anything here and trying to sound credible please exclude anything based on John Hollinger's analysis.

His formula is backed up though, just look at the players that were rated well by it. And I'm sure Turner was but if you look at draft history, even in strong drafts talented centers, especially young ones, go high. There are way more talented swing men than there are talented Centers in this league. Just don't be surprised when Cousins turns out to be the 2nd or 3rd best player in this draft and by far the best big man.

And it's not just John Hollinger. David Thorpe, who is an excellent judge of talent, also thinks this. Thorpe isn't just an ESPN analyst, he is a coach that works out with many NBA players every summer and is the executive director of the Pro Training Center.

His graduates include:
Udonis Haslem (Miami Heat), Kevin Martin (Houston Rockets), Luol Deng (Chicago Bulls), Tyrus Thomas (Charlotte Bobcats), Courtney Lee (New Jersey Nets), Earl Clark (Phoenix Suns), Jrue Holiday (Philadelphia 76ers), DeJuan Blair (San Antonio Spurs), Rob Kurz (Chicago Bulls)), Nick Calathes (Panathinaikos Athens, Greece), Daniel Santiago (Efes Pielsen, Turkey), Marc Salyers (Roanne, France), Corey Brewer (Minnesota Timberwolves), Joakim Noah (Chicago Bulls), Omri Casspi (Sacramento Kings), Yi Jianlian (New Jersey Nets), Curtis Jerrels (San Antonio Spurs), Tony Gaffney (Boston Celtics), Reggie Williams (Golden St Warriors).

unleashthebeast
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
So if we had an all time draft based on summer leagues, Marco Belinelli would go number 1 overall right?

nah, gerald green:)............... waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early for this thread

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 11:05 PM
His formula is backed up though, just look at the players that were rated well by it. And I'm sure Turner was but if you look at draft history, even in strong drafts talented centers, especially young ones, go high. There are way more talented swing men than there are talented Centers in this league. Just don't be surprised when Cousins turns out to be the 2nd or 3rd best player in this draft and by far the best big man.

thats actually not the point for us. The risk is worth the reward. He was/is the safer pick. I also remember in recent years a lot of the better bigs either being busts or being injured a lot or both.

DerekRE_3
07-12-2010, 11:08 PM
thats actually not the point for us. The risk is worth the reward. He was/is the safer pick. I also remember in recent years a lot of the better bigs either being busts or being injured a lot or both.

Look, all I said was that usually, big guys as well rounded, young, and talented as Cousins do not slip to #5. It's just a fact. Thank god he did though.

Bryrob58
07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Look, all I said was that usually, big guys as well rounded, young, and talented as Cousins do not slip to #5. It's just a fact. Thank god he did though.

You said he should have went #2... Big difference.

DerekRE_3
07-12-2010, 11:11 PM
You said he should have went #2... Big difference.

I think that's what history is going to say eventually. We'll just have to see. I remember last year having the same feelings with Tyreke Evans, and he came in with a lot of question marks too.

Bryrob58
07-12-2010, 11:21 PM
I think that's what history is going to say eventually. We'll just have to see. I remember last year having the same feelings with Tyreke Evans, and he came in with a lot of question marks too.

Mehh fair enough..

Slimsim
07-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Landry Fields is a sleeper. he has a lot of potential.

Red Hot Rolllin
07-12-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't think much would change at all, except maybe the Magic wouldn't draft Orton.

agreed

Twolves88
07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Suer league means nothing. I remember a few years back when durant went something like 2-17 during a summer league game. Everyone was down on him saying how oden was the best pick ever and that durant was a skinny kid that would be out of the league.

Moral of the story
Summer league= nothing

clutchski
07-12-2010, 11:41 PM
summer leagus doesnt mean ****...

LAkers has 2 of the top 3 best players so far...

Tell me you're not including Ebanks' 2/13 w/ 4 turnovers today...

Red Hot Rolllin
07-12-2010, 11:42 PM
When your fatter then Shaq was at his age, you have red flags. I personally think he will be a dominant center but you have to think that Turner is a safer pick. Blah blah injury blah blah ET and Wes Johnson are much safer picks then Cousins.

Cousins is going to kill it next year along with Wall. Favors Turner and Johnson will be good but not a game changer like Cousins and Wall.

You see fat I see force.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-12-2010, 11:46 PM

Those red flags are false. He doesnt have the attitude problems that people think he has...and he looks to be doing a lot of work on improving his conditioning.

Cousins will end up being the 2nd best player in this draft...I feel pretty strong about that.

I think Turner will be a solid player...but Cousins will be a top 3 Center in the league and that kind of talent it just too hard to find.

I dont blame Philly for choosing Turner...but I think Cousins will have a much bigger impact in this league when its all said and done.

Red Hot Rolllin
07-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Suer league means nothing. I remember a few years back when durant went something like 2-17 during a summer league game. Everyone was down on him saying how oden was the best pick ever and that durant was a skinny kid that would be out of the league.

Moral of the story
Summer league= nothing

Would you rather make an assessment from college competition or take that and see how players stack up against pros in pro offense sets?

I want both to make my assessment. I agree stats are meaningless but you do get a better read from watching game action rather than workouts and combines.

How many college teams run pick and roll? its nice to see these prospects in NBA sets is all I'm saying. Takes our some of the guess work. Obviously Summer League is just that but at least we get to see them play.

College games and combines and workouts are nothing close to NBA game action.

I know Turner can play and its just Summer League but I think he is more risky than Cousins IMO

ldc62
07-12-2010, 11:48 PM

+1

This is the advantage of being a crappy player on a dominant college team(tho they didn't win). Everyone thinks you have upside.

Red Hot Rolllin
07-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Those red flags are false. He doesnt have the attitude problems that people think he has...and he looks to be doing a lot of work on improving his conditioning.

Cousins will end up being the 2nd best player in this draft...I feel pretty strong about that.

I think Turner will be a solid player...but Cousins will be a top 3 Center in the league and that kind of talent it just too hard to find.

I dont blame Philly for choosing Turner...but I think Cousins will have a much bigger impact in this league when its all said and done.

Smart man you are:clap: Nice to see non sheep out there

What?
07-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Summer league means nothing I remember Beasley was scoring 25+ everygame in summer league and Rose was having like 11/5 games don't put to much weight into it

Sixerlover
07-12-2010, 11:51 PM
There's nothing better than reading people's opinions based on Summer League performances. I enjoy this every year at this time

Red Hot Rolllin
07-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Its not about stats its about seeing them play in NBA sets, you see glymses of what they can and can't do. Shooting and points is not a big factor its the little thiings.

DerekRE_3
07-13-2010, 04:19 AM

Just one more thing:

Within a period of hours this afternoon/evening, I heard from several NBA types - including coaches - who watched the Kings/Pistons game and are ready to anoint Cousins as a franchise player and a top-tier center. The feet, the hands, the passing, the instincts ... can't wait to see the kid.

Source: SacBee (http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2010/07/cousins-attract.html)

The Raven
07-13-2010, 06:00 AM

he's really stinking up the joint in SL

nolin
07-13-2010, 06:38 AM
After watching Summer League action I think many GMs would draft dif. and if the draft was held today I see the Top 10 picks going more like this.

#1 Wiz -- Wall
#2 Sixers -- Cousins
#3 Nets -- Turner
#4 Wolves -- Favors
#5 Kings -- Wes Johnson
#6 Warriors -- Greg Monroe
#7 Pistons -- Ed Davis
#8 Clippers -- Paul George
#9 Jazz -- Luke Babbitt
#10 Pacers -- Gordan Hayward

summer lg means ****. marcus banks held the scoring record for a game before morrow broke it last year. How many people even know what team banks is on without looking it up? i do remember bayless having a better summer league then rose a few years back as well.