PDA

View Full Version : Words from the commissioner!! Can this finally open peoples eyes and end the hate

Hoopsadvocate
07-12-2010, 08:17 PM
NBA commish David Stern on tampering: "Players totally within their rights..." regarding LeBron, Wade, Bosh and Miami. Non-issue.

Stern: Players within their rights to seek employment with any team.

Stern on LeBron: He had right to leave Cavs, but "The Decision" was "poor" & "ill conceived" & "badly produced"

PLUS!

Stern: NBA has more season tickets sold than in any time in our history ...

So there goes the argument about this being bad for the NBA. Like i said before this is going to be huge for the leagues future its popularizing/ revolutionizing basketball.

tdunk21
07-12-2010, 08:19 PM
u take stern seriously? lol

Niro
07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
real talk

Draco
07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
It's hard to prove tampering and Stern has to give Wade the benefit of the doubt.. it's not Stern's job to publicly speculate. Neither the Cavs nor the Raptors want to pursue tampering charges, because again, it's hard to prove. So for Stern, it is a non-issue.

daleja424
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
It is simple, Toronto and Cleveland didnt suspect tempering and both agreed to TRADE their guys to Miami... those two clubs are the only ones with a claim and neither wanted to make one

HoopsDrive
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Yep. Free agents are free to sign with any team. The way he went about is what people are grumbling about and probably will linger for some time. Nothing wrong with forming superteams though, in fact, I prefer it that way.

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Yep. Free agents are free to sign with any team. The way he went about is what people are grumbling about and probably will linger for some time. Nothing wrong with forming superteams though, in fact, I prefer it that way.

this

_Supreme_
It's hard to prove tampering and Stern has to give Wade the benefit of the doubt.. it's not Stern's job to publicly speculate. Neither the Cavs nor the Raptors want to pursue tampering charges, because again, it's hard to prove. So for Stern, it is a non-issue.

Stern already said it would be perfectly alright for them to meet before they even did.

This has never been a legit issue.

whitemamba33
Wow...I never noticed how many Miami fans there are around here.

(take that comment how you wish)

jiggin
LOL @ taking Stern's word as the bible. LOL

Master Mind
07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Stern: NBA has more season tickets sold than in any time in our history...

Wow!

ManRam
07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I think what he said is common sense.

But people will find ways to hate on everything.

Hellcrooner
07-12-2010, 08:29 PM
lol

what this ( alongisde the BS fine to Gilbery) proves

is the damm bastard was BEHIND all of this and has not only allowed but engoutraged it.

Its time this dude steps down NOW:

Draco
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Stern already said it would be perfectly alright for them to meet before they even did.

This has never been a legit issue.

Depends on what you believe. I believe they've been talking about it for a while and going back to when they were under contract. It is a legitimate issue, but it's one that can't be proven or there surely would have been an investigation by now.

Getting all three together was really only possible in Miami, and Wade pushed the topic. Despite being discouraged by Commissioner David Stern and perhaps breaking tampering rules again, Wade flew with Bosh to Akron to meet at James' house in the last week of June. Still under contract with the Heat, Wade got the other two to the brink of a deal to join up.
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/inside_the_decision_miamis_cou.html

_Supreme_
07-12-2010, 08:32 PM
lol

is the damm bastard was BEHIND all of this and has not only allowed but engoutraged it.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/tattila/godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm.jpg

Hellcrooner seriously I am going to throw tapas at you!

:D

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Point me out one time Stern has ever said anything QUESTIONABLE was bad. (So that means no obviously bad stuff like the DET-IND brawl - Jesus couldn't convince us that was good for the NBA.)

Iodine
07-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Stern>Any other commish in history of sports

Hellcrooner
07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/tattila/godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm.jpg

Hellcrooner seriously I am going to throw tapas at you!

:D

Nah i had enough of them yesterday to celebrate the WC Win.:D

_Supreme_
07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Depends on what you believe. I believe they've been talking about it for a while and going back to when they were under contract.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/inside_the_decision_miamis_cou.html

Yes but when will people get it into their thick heads that players talking for quite a while is perfectly alright and within NBA rules.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about it :eyebrow:

Team officials can't to talk to other teams' players about free agency/team-business related stuff. That is it.

Example A:

Dwyane Wade meets with Lebron James before Jul 1st and negotiates contracts specifics with him on behalf of the Miami HEAT. This is not allowed.

Example B:

Dwyane Wade meets with Lebron James and says "Hey man, do you want to come play with me in Miami next year if we have enough money to sign you? We'll ask Chris too!". This is allowed.

People might not like the rules, but they are still the official rules, and none of those were broken.

shizzle09
07-12-2010, 08:40 PM

ok, so we're on page one of this thread where you're making this comment. Everyone in this thread thats a heat fan has been posting long before we got these players. Stop being bittter.

_Supreme_
07-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Nah i had enough of them yesterday to celebrate the WC Win.:D

:moon: :moon: :moon: !!

Draco
07-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Yes but when will people get it into their thick heads that players talking for quite a while is perfectly alright and within NBA rules.

Team officials can't to talk to other teams' players about free agency/team- business related stuff.

Example A:

Dwyane Wade meets with Lebron James before Jul 1st and negotiates contracts specifics with him. This is not allowed.

Example B:

Dwyane Wade meets with Lebron James and says "Hey man, do you want to come play with me in Miami next year if we have enough money to sign you? We'll ask Chris too!". This is allowed.

People might not like the rules, but they are still the official rules, and none of those were broken.

It's against the rules for a player to recruit on behalf of their team while that player is under contract.

shizzle09
07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
lol

:confused:

whitemamba33
07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
lol

Aren't you going to throw in a pro-Pau Gasol comment somewhere in there?

Canterbury
NBA has more season tickets sold than in any time in our history ... Translation: Jizz in my Pants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY)

It is simple, Toronto and Cleveland didnt suspect tempering and both agreed to TRADE their guys to Miami... They only agreed to sign and trade in light of getting something for nothing. Even if they suspected tampering, there was no way to prove it, and Bosh and LeBron were going to Heat one way or the other.

This has never been a legit issue. Anyone can talk with anyone they want to, but the real issue was speculation that the "free agent" Wade was recruiting on behalf of his team. Again, there is no way to prove it, but there is no denying in that it can't be plausible. triple negative ftw

I don't believe Stern has raised that as an issue.

There's only one way to take it.

Oakley's Fist
Haha, Stern is going to go with whatever doesnt screw up the money making machine right now.

Hoopsadvocate
07-12-2010, 08:45 PM

well every heat fan that has posted in this thread at least has had a join date before 2010 (aka before the FA) so if your implying bandwagon there are some but the ones here are vets.

its not hard to weed out bandwagoners just gotta use a little comon sense and know where to look... take that comment how u wish

jackdawson
lol

HC, you are crying out loud in all of your posts for more than a week. It's old now, get over with it and focus on actual life. Don't let Miami Heat Dynasty take over you own personal life.

Iodine
:confused:

Don't question teh crewnar

whitemamba33
07-12-2010, 08:46 PM
ok, so we're on page one of this thread where you're making this comment. Everyone in this thread thats a heat fan has been posting long before we got these players. Stop being bittter.

You made the mistake of thinking I was only talking about this thread.

I'm not bitter. I'm on the "it's great for the league" side of things. As much fun as it is to relive the Lakers Vs Celtics memories, it's time for some new contenders. Orlando has done a great job, and i'm also pulling for the Thunder to step up in the West.

Jester4k0
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
This style of free agent signings and star players to play with other star players is the wave of the NBA future. Get used to the "Dream" teams. The league created this, in what 1992, with the original "dream" team concept. Albeit, for the Olympics.

_Supreme_
07-12-2010, 08:52 PM
It's against the rules for a player to recruit on behalf of their team while that player is under contract.

No it is not. It is only against the rules to act as a direct agent of the front office.

Direct agent of the front office means negotiating contracts and business related specifics.

There is a HUGE substancial difference that a lot of people here simply don't seem to (want to) understand.

The talk right now of CP3, Melo and Amare would otherwise be tampering also. It is not. Those guys are allowed to expres their desire to play together, even publicly.

Laker Legend42
07-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Stearn is right. First off there is no way to stop players from talking. Wether or not Bron Bron and Gilbert had a good relationship or not I still think there was a cleaner way to break away from the city. I don't understand the whinning from Mark Cuban. This dude screams foul on everything. This year Miami will rival the Lakers as the biggest draw around the leauge. I wonder if Cleveland will chant MVP when Kobe comes to town:rolleyes:

Iodine
07-12-2010, 08:54 PM
No it is not. It is only against the rules to act as a direct agent of the front office.

Direct agent of the front office means negotiating contracts and business related specifics.

There is a HUGE substancial difference that a lot of people here simply don't seem to (want to) understand.

The talk right now of CP3, Melo and Amare would otherwise be tampering also. It is not. Those guys are allowed to expres their desire to play together, even publicly.

Stop being right all the time :(

Jester4k0
07-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Stearn is right. First off there is no way to stop players from talking. Wether or not Bron Bron and Gilbert had a good relationship or not I still think there was a cleaner way to break away from the city. I don't understand the whinning from Mark Cuban. This dude screams foul on everything. This year Miami will rival the Lakers as the biggest draw around the leauge. I wonder if Cleveland will chant MVP when Kobe comes to town:rolleyes:

Yeah, does everyone else talk to people in their prospective industries? I know I do. It's called networking. No prob with the new big three making their choices. Just don't put it on TV in a made for TV special.

cheetos185
07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
ppl are only mad at lebron because he didn't speak his decision in press conference like wade and bosh plus you gotta admit when bosh decided to go to miami he looked scared in the interview and bron was sweating on his 1 hour not so suspense show they were scared because they were trying to hide something :)

t2a2e9j12
07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
How is this good for the nba acording to forbes magazine 40 % of nba teams lost money last year (12 teams) so if you get the majority of your best players on one team and they dominate no one wants to watch a loser (except knick fans second most valuable franchise behind lakers they support team threw thick and thin unlike some franchises knicks fans always their) You get a few healthy franchises and the rest struggle not a good idea look at the nfl the most popular sport in USA paraody never know who is going to be good different champ almost every year

blacknell
07-12-2010, 09:18 PM
doesn't matter he is on the best team in the NBA

BayHuStLE
07-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I was hoping for an actualy statement, not a bunch of excerpts

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
David Stern has made bank over this 2010 free agency and will make even more bank now that teams like Chicago/New York/New Jersey are trying to get better. Also, with Lebron and Wade on the Heat....the Heat have become the 2nd/3rd highest value franchise.

Human FlameShld
07-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I think Stern is usually pretty bad and usually shows poor judgement but for the first time I respect what he said.

kntresistheheat
07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
ppl are only mad at lebron because he didn't speak his decision in press conference like wade and bosh plus you gotta admit when bosh decided to go to miami he looked scared in the interview and bron was sweating on his 1 hour not so suspense show they were scared because they were trying to hide something :)

That's your opinion.

Hellcrooner
07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Aren't you going to throw in a pro-Pau Gasol comment somewhere in there?

why should i?

kntresistheheat
07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
How is this good for the nba acording to forbes magazine 40 % of nba teams lost money last year (12 teams) so if you get the majority of your best players on one team and they dominate no one wants to watch a loser (except knick fans second most valuable franchise behind lakers they support team threw thick and thin unlike some franchises knicks fans always their) You get a few healthy franchises and the rest struggle not a good idea look at the nfl the most popular sport in USA paraody never know who is going to be good different champ almost every year

The heat will make all the money for the league:D but to be serious people are going to pay to see these guys playing, wether they like the team or not! I think the heat will win over lots of fans....You'll see.

zambo4president
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Their making Stern bank that's why he doesn't care

Human FlameShld
07-12-2010, 09:28 PM

Team officials can't to talk to other teams' players about free agency/team-business related stuff. That is it.

Example A:

Dwyane Wade meets with Lebron James before Jul 1st and negotiates contracts specifics with him on behalf of the Miami HEAT. This is not allowed.

Example B:

Your wrong about A. A player is not a team official.

You do know that Wade is a player and does not work in the front office. You do know that Wade has no power to officially sign a player. You do know that Dwayne Wade is a player and not a team official. You do know that the GM, team president or owner (the team officials, coach and scouts and people like that would also apply) are the one's that cannot talk dollars or even about a player joining a team when the league dictates they are not allowed to.

_Supreme_ I'm not trying to be rude and this may come across as rude...I'm more stating a fact and trying to explain something I'm pretty sure you understand but many others clearly don't

kntresistheheat
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Look with all the upgrades in the East this year, Lot's of team's are going to be interesting to watch. The fans will love to see lots of these team's play against each other and the NBA is going to make lots of money!

Heat vs Lakers

Heat vs Bulls

Heat vs Orlando

Heat vs OKC

Heat vs Boston

Heat vs Dallas

Heat vs ect..... ALL MONEY MAKERS!

t2a2e9j12
07-12-2010, 09:35 PM
heat value about 470 million that is with lebron wade bosh they raised value bout 100 milion would put them number 5 according to forbes good for them doesnt help struggling franchises borrowing money from nba to pay the bills not about one team or one player about healthy league and what is best for it

cbilecik
07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
It is simple, Toronto and Cleveland didnt suspect tempering and both agreed to TRADE their guys to Miami... those two clubs are the only ones with a claim and neither wanted to make one

Toronto didn't really "agree" to do the trade. It's more that they didn't have a choice.

kntresistheheat
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
heat value about 470 million that is with lebron wade bosh they raised value bout 100 milion would put them number 5 according to forbes good for them doesnt help struggling franchises borrowing money from nba to pay the bills not about one team or one player about healthy league and what is best for it

So the players should go with other teams get max deals and try for the next 6 years to win a ring? VS. Go to the heat make the league money help the heat franchise, WIN RINGS and if you really think about it we helped those teams save money by not giving these guys max deals:D WE DID THE LEAGUE A FAVOR!

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Toronto didn't really "agree" to do the trade. It's more that they didn't have a choice.

please explain that concept to me

Draco
07-12-2010, 09:49 PM

It sounds as though you yourself don't understand the difference. A player recruiting another player to sign a contract with their team is acting as a direct agent of the front office.

Draco
07-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Larry Coon on tampering.

95. What is tampering?

Tampering is when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody (player, general manager, etc.) who is under contract with another team to negotiate for their services. The NBA takes tampering very seriously and may impose stiff penalties if it is discovered, however the league will not investigate unless another team files tampering charges. Here are some examples:

* The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with Riley while he was still head coach of the New York Knicks. The Heat "settled," and avoided league-imposed penalties, by compensating the Knicks with $1 million and their first round draft pick in 1996.
* After Will Perdue left San Antonio in the 1999 offseason to sign with Chicago, he commented to the press about the possibility of the Bulls signing Tim Duncan and/or Grant Hill in 2000. The league considered this to be tampering, and issued Perdue a warning.

You may have noticed that when general managers and other team personnel talk to the press, they are careful to avoid talking about specific players who play for other teams. They do this in order to avoid tampering.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q95

REALLYYYYY?
07-12-2010, 09:58 PM

yep

h2r09
07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Larry Coon on tampering.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q95

neither lebron or d wade were under contract.

Hellcrooner
07-12-2010, 10:04 PM

yeah because they have decided all this circus :rolleyes:this in this 7 days

Draco
07-12-2010, 10:06 PM
yeah because they have decided all this circus :rolleyes:this in this 7 days

Right.. it doesn't pass the smell test.

Giants88
07-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Stern is a joke, since when does he know what's good for the NBA. Miami definitely tampered but finding proof will be almost impossible.

Iodine
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Stern is a joke, since when does he know what's good for the NBA. Miami definitely tampered but finding proof will be almost impossible.

You do realize that stern might be the best commish in pro sports history?

downsos
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh, David Stern is ok with it? Then all is forgiven! :rolleyes:

jiggin
07-12-2010, 10:14 PM

yes they were....they were under contact until July 1st.

*Silver&Black*
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Of course Stern would come out and say this. He also said they sold morr tickets than ever before. Well there is the reason he wanted this to happen. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

RapOZo
07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
lolll, omg, i cant believe how many miami fans out here!

Sly Guy
07-12-2010, 10:25 PM

yeah. That makes sense. Because their announcements to sign occurred before any sign and trade deal were in the works.

Sly Guy
07-12-2010, 10:27 PM

haha, get used to them, friend.

Let's hope they turn out better than chicago fans.

Swift n Sil3nt
07-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I hate that all the players took the easy way out. They all stated or have shown a love for being the man, and now that just isnt the case. Im happy they put their desire to win above the money. This is what we tell ourselves every year in the MLB with the Yankees. I just want one player to stick with his team and not follow the money. They did that. They all went and took paycuts. Thats something we dont see how superstars of today doing. They didnt chase the bigger markets or the chance to be in the same title of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. They wanted rings. Sure, the best would have accepted the challenge and tried to build a dynasty from within, but going back to the Yankees point: How many Championships have they won in this past decade? Nothing is a lock. Everyone knocks on them for certain points, and certain points have some merit, but for their character and everything we cannot knock on them.

Better yet:
1. If the Bulls would have signed Lebron and Bosh to pair up with Rose would we have said anything? Whats different between Lebron-Bosh-Rose vs. Lebron-Bosh-Wade. Not much. In fact, the team could have been better in Chicago with a slightly better supporting cast, while I believe the coaches even out, Miami has a better run organization with Riley.
2. If the Knicks would have signed Lebron James, Amare Stoudemire, and Joe Johnson/Carmelo Anthony, would we have said anything. No we would have been thrilled because we got 3 of the best 10 players in the game. Yet we are the ones bickering. We didnt strike out, but we didnt hit a home run, and that upsets us as fans. Its ok to be upset, but lets not be hyprocritical. In fact a lineup that features Stoudemire, Johnson, James, Gallinari, Chandler could have been just as good as the Miami Heat team. Yes Johnson is no Wade, but the supporting cast and offensive mastermind sure are enticing.
3. If the Nets would have signed Bosh and James, they would have been right there too. They would not have been able to afford a 3rd max, but who would need that with Derrick Favors, Brook Lopez, and Devin Harris coupled with supporting players in Terrence Williams and Courtney Lee. In fact, this could have become the best scenario. Brook Lopez and Devin Harris are two very good players at two of the most important positions, and the one thing the Bulls, Knicks, and Heat truly miss are a true center. Devin Harris-Lebron James-Derrick Favors-Chris Bosh-Brooks Lopez is a dominant lineup.

We complain because we struck out, but had we been of better fortune we would be gloating. Miami struck gold. Maybe their was tampering, or maybe their was a conspiracy dating back two years ago. We all knew they wanted to play together. The difference between the Heat, Nets, Knicks, Bulls, and Cavaliers is that the Heat set themselves in better position by taking a calculated gamble and chucking everything. The other teams took some gambles, but they didnt manufacture enough flexibility. So stop with the complaints and build a team that can compete with the Heat. Last I checked, they didnt even win the championship last year, and with Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, and Artest and an already strong bench, I still like their chances. Oh yea, Bosh, Wade, and James combined have 1 title. Lets not crown them yet. Support your teams and try and beat them.

Herb Brooks once said, "Gentleman, you don't have enough talent to win on talent alone." His 1980's team had a lot of heart and youth. They had the intangibles. The Knicks have height and an offensive mastermind. They may not match up talent wise, but having 4 6'10" players on the court at one time will be a handful. The Bulls have Boozer to stop Bosh (he can), Rose to battle the likes of James/Wade and other good young talent.

And I'm a Knicks fan.

8kobe24
07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
PLUS!

So there goes the argument about this being bad for the NBA. Like i said before this is going to be huge for the leagues future its popularizing/ revolutionizing basketball.

Stern is right on with every comment he made. Really, it's how lebron handled the whole "decision" announcement that got fans in Cleveland, NY, and CHI angry. The media got sources saying that he will stay, he will go to NY, CHI, miami...and really the folks at Cleveland were really hoping he was gonna stay. But, lebron made his choice and I think it was a shocker to all because everyone thought that the heat would be his last choice to protect his "brand".

Coming from a Laker fan, really, no hate for the heat...congrats on all your successful off season moves. Good luck with Boston, and the rest of the league that will be bringing their A game when they play the heat. The Lakers will be waiting come next June.:clap:

Hoopsadvocate
07-13-2010, 12:19 AM
A lot of people seem to miss the point.

The point: Lebron was well within his rights to switch teams he didnt have to stay or shouldnt have stayed (how he went about it is debatable) and by doing so he has helped make basketball as popular if not more popular than its ever been (according to the record purchases of season tickets).

People said:

no way the HEAT is even a player for lebron hes to egotistical to share spotlight with wade (WRONG)

no way they get all 3 players in FA (Wrong)

no way they take paycuts to play together (WRONG)

no way riley fills out the bench with impactful players (WRONG)

no way this is good for basketball its ruining the sport (WRONG)

Now all thats left is:

no way they win multiple championship together (W_ _ _ G) ill let you all guess what thats gonna be

cbilecik
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
please explain that concept to me

What is there to explain? Bosh left without Toronto's consent. It was a take it or leave it. He accepted the pay cut. If it was up to Toronto, they would have done a S&T under better conditions. I.e. not send your best player to a team in the same division that has nothing to offer in return. Similiar to when Vince left us for New Jersey.

But why did I need to explain that, are you that naive?

phoenix_bladen
07-14-2010, 04:18 PM
they won't be able to prove the tampering charges

and so what will an investigation do anyways? most likely it will fail

besides bosh and lebron wanted to leave that was the biggest thing there is nothing you can do when a player doesn't want to play for you.

LionBryan
07-14-2010, 04:23 PM
engoutraged

This is my favorite hellcroonerism ever.

Also, I think most people on this site use the word "tampering" when they really mean "player collusion" and don't know what the difference is.