PDA

View Full Version : Dan Gilbert fined

gbrl
07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
David Stern just announced in Las Vegas that Cavaliers will be fined $100,000 for Dan Gilbert's "open letter" in wake of LeBron's departure
http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

_Supreme_
07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Cavs owner Dan Gilbert to be fined $100,000 by David Stern for his caustic letter offered in the wake of losing LeBron James to the Heat.

http://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat

This has just been announced.

More sources probably coming up shortly.

cle12152433
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Doubt it.

gbrl
07-12-2010, 08:06 PM
posted at the same time lol

jiggin
07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
drop in the hat.

the message was delivered which was all he wanted. 100,000 to these guys is loose change in the couch.

worst part, LBJ doesn't seem to get that he handled this way wrong. he thinks he is the victim. so sad, so stupid yet so talented.

HoopsDrive
07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
100k in fine... that's like 1 dollar bills to the man.

Iodine
07-12-2010, 08:09 PM
It's nice to see that owners can get drunk and go on rants just like their fans.

Jester4k0
07-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Still BS to vilify him in the style of Cuban. F'n BS. Stern represents the owners as the commissioner of the league. Gilbert is now greater than Cuban in my book as the owner used for a political scapegoat.

ManRam
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I think he definitely deserved that fine. Very off-base, unprofessional and slanderous.

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 08:17 PM
That makes no sense whatsoever. It was the most classless display by any owner in the league today. Much worst than anything Cuban has ever done. 100000 K is chump change. Stern should have sent a message across the league that there's a no tolerance policy for owners going off and saying the things he said. Angry or not.

Viper2000
07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
he should have been fined for making the worst guarantee in sports - see attached on the worst guarantee: http://bit.ly/aYgQ1J

now Jesse Jackson involved, what a storm

Iodine
That makes no sense whatsoever. It was the most classless display by any owner in the league today. Much worst than anything Cuban has ever done. 100000 K is chump change. Stern should have sent a message across the league that there's a no tolerance policy for owners going off and saying the things he said. Angry or not.

Stern cannot fine owners more than 100k under the current CBA IIRC :shrug:

If someone can find a definitive answer that would be ncie

hugepatsfan
How can he be fined for a letter? I guess the same people who find this finable are the ones who think it's illegal to wave a towel. Anything anyone does that takes away from Lebron at all is a sin in Stern's mind.

Iodine
07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
How can he be fined for a letter? I guess the same people who find this finable are the ones who think it's illegal to wave a towel. Anything anyone does that takes away from Lebron at all is a sin in Stern's mind.

Your boner from hating stern is showing

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Stern cannot fine owners more than 100k under the current CBA IIRC :shrug:

If someone can find a definitive answer that would be ncie

thanks for the info bro

jdub747
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
lebron should be the one fined.

gbrl
07-12-2010, 08:37 PM

for what. signing with a team during fa

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Your boner from hating stern is showing

I think Stern is a douche. Even worse, he is a Lebron groupie - yuck.

Iodine
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
for what. signing with a team during fa

Duh!

Hellcrooner
07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
what a joke.

He should give the league an extrar 100 k and then bash stern directly

Iodine
07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I think Stern is a douche. Even worse, he is a Lebron groupie - yuck.

You do realize that Stern is the biggest reason besides around 5 or 6 players that the NBA is so popular today right?
Dude made NBA entertainment, learned how to market a floundering league, helped mold the allstar game, Helped fix the leagues image several times, helped get rid of the fighting and drugs in the NBA, and more

DBR96A
07-12-2010, 08:48 PM
David Stern just announced in Las Vegas that Cavaliers will be fined $100,000 for Dan Gilbert's "open letter" in wake of LeBron's departure
http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

When it rains, it pours.

Laker Legend42
07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Dan Gilbert was stupid for writing that but he shouldn't be fined. Lebron is not a referee. I think he did it to rally the fans. I would like to know what he meant when he said Lebron has been covered for long enough.

Laker Legend42
07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I cant believe David Stern.

This guy is a total chicken ****. Lebron total crapped on the city of Cleveland and David Stern just flushed the toilet.

So should Lebron be fined?

BigBlueCrew
07-12-2010, 09:06 PM
So should Lebron be fined?

No neither should be fined. Both made an decision as an adult.

LA_Raiders
07-12-2010, 09:12 PM
lol, there is no more freedom of speech in the NBA...

Stern is an ***. Instead of fining people for expressing their opinions, he should have done something with CHeat BS...

MrfadeawayJB
07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
The real punishment will be in the next few years. Free agents will never want to play for a D-Bag like Dan Gilbert!!!

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
You do realize that Stern is the biggest reason besides around 5 or 6 players that the NBA is so popular today right?
Dude made NBA entertainment, learned how to market a floundering league, helped mold the allstar game, Helped fix the leagues image several times, helped get rid of the fighting and drugs in the NBA, and more

You can be an accomplised member of your profession and still be a douche bag. And the league definately kisses LBJ's ***.

iamsteel
07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
at least he still has the Flint Mega Bowl!!!

fishfan79
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
good fine,

When the heat payed Zo for 3 years the Max Salary and he didnt play a game, he didnt complain, whine, ***** or act like a 2 year old when Zo decided to go to the Nets. Know what he did? He told him good luck and he hoped he would win a championship

Arison = example of class
Gilbert = Example of spoiled 5 year old brat.

justinnum1
07-12-2010, 09:35 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

BayHuStLE
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I think the fine is something that needed to happen, as a commishoner he shouldn't let childish things like that to happen. If Cuban was in that postition and said anything, he might have been fined more....

jrodmesche
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
good he deserved worse

tredigs
07-12-2010, 10:08 PM
You can be an accomplised member of your profession and still be a douche bag. And the league definately kisses LBJ's ***.

You don't think he would have done the same thing to Colangelo had he wrote some pathetic drunken-induced hate letter like this about Bosh? I was at a bachelor party and didn't see "The Decision", and I assume it was over the top and ridiculous like most specials on ESPN, but that was the ONLY thing the Cavs organization and their fans should be even remotely mad about - and all things considered it is not that big of a deal.

The dude gave 7 years of his basketball life (a life where he has a legit chance at near GOAT status if he starts to win rings) to a poorly run organization that surrounded him with sub par role players and one of the worst coaches in pro sports. Still, he single handedly made them one of the most relevant teams in the league and increased Dan Gilberts' team net worth by hundreds of millions of dollars.

I'd have fined the douche 1million dollars just to make a point that he's hating on the best thing that ever happened to their team. Lebron's young and wants to finally be surrounded by players that can help him win -- wasn't happening in Cleveland, so he left. Get over it.

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I legitimately think Colangelo would have gotten away free.

tredigs
07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I legitimately think Colangelo would have gotten away free.

Hahah... not a chance in hell dude. He called Lebron signing to another team a "cowardly betrayal" and wrote that "the curse will follow him and the city he plays in".

He's a childish, delusional, sorry excuse for an owner. There's no other way to put it. I can understand that he's madly upset that his mega-star (see: his moneymaker) left town for a team who could actually offer him role players better than Mo Williams, Jamison and a 40 yr old center as their 2/3/4 (after 6 years... that was the best they could come up with...), but you can't just publicly write such ridiculous comments about a guy who never did you wrong in any way and expect Stern not to have to fine you.

Hustla23
07-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Gilbert should negotiate a deal:

" Fine me 1 million and allow me to call you a gay fatass on live t.v. "

It would be hard for Stern to turn that one down.

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Stern wants all this negative publicity to stop. That's why Gilbert was fined.

Iodine
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Hahah... not a chance in hell dude. He called Lebron signing to another team a "cowardly betrayal" and wrote that "the curse will follow him and the city he plays in".

He's a childish, delusional, sorry excuse for an owner. There's no other way to put it. I can understand that he's madly upset that his mega-star (see: his moneymaker) left town for a team who could actually offer him role players better than Mo Williams, Jamison and a 40 yr old center as their 2/3/4 (after 6 years... that was the best they could come up with...), but you can't just publicly write such ridiculous comments about a guy who never did you wrong in any way and expect Stern not to have to fine you.

Stop being logical :(

Iodine
07-12-2010, 10:42 PM

How is that bad........

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 10:45 PM

are you being serious right now. He was going to be fined never the less and everyone knew that.

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 10:45 PM
How is that bad........

I guess I just have a different view on fines than Stern. Ainge should be able to toss a towel in the air. Gilbert can right a letter to his fans. Criticize officials - fine. I hate them, but the league does need to protect his refs. Start a brawl, criticize league offices, dirty play that crosses the lines - fine.

marlinsfan24
07-12-2010, 11:59 PM
I guess I just have a different view on fines than Stern. Ainge should be able to toss a towel in the air. Gilbert can right a letter to his fans. Criticize officials - fine. I hate them, but the league does need to protect his refs. Start a brawl, criticize league offices, dirty play that crosses the lines - fine.

I agree with the Ainge part. I thought that fine was ridiculous. But Gilbert's letter shouldn't be tolerated from someone who is in the league.

KingOf215
07-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Seems like Gilbert got off pretty easily for his classless publicity stunt. $100,000 for widespread media coverage on tv & internet? Pretty clever trade-off.... now watch it backfire.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-13-2010, 01:32 AM

Just because it is a letter doesn't mean you get a free pass.

If I write you a death threat, I can still go to jail.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-13-2010, 01:36 AM
:laugh:

I laugh at the people who think that Gilbert shouldn't be fined or that Lebron should be fined.

I guess if you go to another team, you should get fined. And if you talk **** about a player, it is okay because you hate that player. Get the hell out of here. If I wrote a sign about Kobe saying he is a ***** and waved it around downtown LA, I'd get my *** kicked. But if it was Lebron instead of Kobe, people would be joining me.

ARMIN12NBA
07-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Stern summed it up pretty nicely when he said the letter was understandable and even a matter of fact, but the wording of it had to result in a fine. I'm sure Gilbert would write that letter 10/10.

SP@Z.
07-13-2010, 02:00 AM
I think it's funny how Cavs fans are defending Dan Gilbert. The guy just made Cleveland look even worse, and now no good FA is gonna wanna sign with Cleveland. Cavs fans should be mad at Dan Gilbert just as much as they are at Lebron or even more.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-13-2010, 02:03 AM
I think it's funny how Cavs fans are defending Dan Gilbert. The guy just made Cleveland look even worse, and now no good FA is gonna wanna sign with Cleveland. Cavs fans should be mad at Dan Gilbert just as much as they are at Lebron or even more.

Both parties got hurt so they decided to join together.

It's like high school. The popular kids offended the cliques in the high school because the popular kids are trying to live their lives and those cliques are bonded together by the hate for the popular kids

greek miami hea
07-13-2010, 05:25 AM

lol... @@@@@ gilbert~!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

The Raven
07-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Certainly was expected but, even so dan Gilbert has every right to vent