PDA

View Full Version : Utah now talking trade for Jefferson?

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5374674&campaign=rss&source=DALLASHeadlines

We all know Dallas has been trying to get Jefferson. But this is the first report about the Jazz talking to them that I know about.

Utah has a trade exception that will work in the trade.

Other pieces probably included but it sounds like Dallas isn't going to budge so Utah might be the next option.

UPDATED!:
Just filed to ESPN.com: Sources say UTA has quickly moved into lead in race to acquire Al Jefferson from MIN and working now to seal deal
http://twitter.com/stein_line_HQ

UPDATED AGAIN!:
Owner of the Jazz

"I just approved a Jazz roster move that I'm very excited about. Planning to share details tomorrow."
http://twitter.com/greginutah

Jays Claw
07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
The Jazz don't need Al Jefferson. They already got Mehmet Okur and Paul Millsap under contract.

greek miami hea
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
this would be a great pick up for uttah

Swashcuff
The Jazz don't need Al Jefferson. They already got Mehmet Okur and Paul Millsap under contract.

this

jdub747

i agree

kblo247
07-12-2010, 07:33 PM

A guy who can't pass, doesn't even hack a lot to pretend like he can defend, and loves jumpers while not converting them. He is the anti-Boozer.

Lake_Show2416
07-12-2010, 07:35 PM

you can never have to many good big man

thekmp211
07-12-2010, 07:36 PM

okur is injured and might miss the start of the season.

neither of those guys is a pure post scorer which is what the jazz just lost in boozer.

the wolves dont really need what the jazz have, but utah would be smart to pursue this.

BkOriginalOne
07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
ehh

Karnivore
07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Is Paul Milsap able to hang with Bynum/Pau? Thats the sole question to any trade involving AJ to a west team, whose your PF and can he stop a 7 footer.

Sixerlover
07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
If they strike out on Jefferson, they can have Brand for that TPE they got in the Boozer deal :jumpy:

gbrl
he would be a good fit for dallas or utah

Swashcuff
you can never have to many good big man

in this case you can... the jazz said that they'd be cutting payroll and having the contracts of Okur, Millsap and Jefferson without a legit SG on the court makes no real sense for them. Plus they are 3 PFs.

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Okur is injured so the Jazz need somebody to play Center. And I know Jefferson is not a real Center but he is a better option than the OKur even when Okur is healthy.

Jazz are desperate. They need to make a move. Not really any trade options and nobody to sign. Only trade pieces are AK and the TPE.

Makes sense for the Jazz. And the Wolves have too many PF's.

D-Will - Price
Brewer(sounds like he is coming back) - Hayward
Miles - AK
Millsap - AK - Evans
Jefferson - Okur - Koufos

Probably let Fesenko go.

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 07:43 PM
in this case you can... the jazz said that they'd be cutting payroll and having the contracts of Okur, Millsap and Jefferson without a legit SG on the court makes no real sense for them. Plus they are 3 PFs.

Jefferson is an upgrade over Okur. So the Jazz would be improved. Hard to argue that they wouldn't be. Jefferson is more athletic and longer than Okur.

Not many teams can have 2 seven footers like the lakers. Centers are hard to come by now days.

Jazz would just be in the luxury tax this year(again) than they would be fine.

jimbobjarree
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
would be a good move for us, getting a bit of size. He could start for us at center until Memo gets healthy (around December time), and then slide back to the 4 and have Milly off the bench.

I wonder how they make a deal work though, trading the trade exception for Al put us straight in the luxury tax, I wonder if we could throw in AK47 and maybe take the contracts of some guys like Sessions (who they're looking to dump for cash) and maybe Martell Webster (come on, how many wings do you need?). With Webster we dont match on Wesley Matthews, and our salary is only at 64 million. The Wolves save 4 million this year and 24 million next summer. It all boils down to the picks and stuff the Wolves want though, since they say they arent just looking to dump AL for cash.

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Jefferson is an upgrade over Okur. So the Jazz would be improved. Hard to argue that they wouldn't be. Jefferson is more athletic and longer than Okur.

Not many teams can have 2 seven footers like the lakers. Centers are hard to come by now days.

that's their prob right there.... at least from a management standpoint.

I think Al Jeff could florish with a coach like sloan and a pg like Deron, but their financial situation may not allow them to take a chance unless someone takes Okur.

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
that's their prob right there.... at least from a management standpoint.

I think Al Jeff could florish with a coach like sloan and a pg like Deron, but their financial situation may not allow them to take a chance unless someone takes Okur.

The Jazz were in the luxury this year. I think they could handle it one more year. AK's 17 Million comes off the books after this year. Wouldn't be that bad. Jazz have good tickets sales.

nuggetsyankees
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
He would be a better fit in Denver

jimbobjarree
07-12-2010, 07:53 PM
The Jazz were in the luxury this year. I think they could handle it one more year. AK's 17 Million comes off the books after this year. Wouldn't be that bad. Jazz have good tickets sales.

ware you need to come post in the jazz forum!

CaptainStu5
07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Al Jefferson can't play Center and is a horrible defender.

S-Dot
07-12-2010, 09:26 PM
He would be a better fit in Denver

I do agree with that. And there were rumors that they were going after him, but those rumors seem to be dead.

tdunk21
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
but why would minn take kirilenko when half of their roster is SF.....lol minn FO

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
http://twitter.com/stein_line_HQ

Just filed to ESPN.com: Sources say UTA has quickly moved into lead in race to acquire Al Jefferson from MIN and working now to seal deal

PurpleJesus
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM

Jefferson is neither 7' tall, nor a center

Sports Illustrator
07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Richard Jefferson's talent has been hidden last season since he was more of a role player with the Spurs. He did exactly what Finley did for them in the prior years and I believe he can do a lot more than that. He can be a good pickup for the Jazz as long as he gets the ball often and is able to make things happen when he has the ball in his hands.

LTBaByyy
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
i dont see him being a Sloan type of guy

i see him fitting better with denver or dallas IMO

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Jefferson is neither 7' tall, nor a center

read his earlier posts and u'd understand what he said.

tdunk21
07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Richard Jefferson's talent has been hidden last season since he was more of a role player with the Spurs. He did exactly what Finley did for them in the prior years and I believe he can do a lot more than that. He can be a good pickup for the Jazz as long as he gets the ball often and is able to make things happen when he has the ball in his hands.

:laugh2:

this thread is about al jefferson

jimbobjarree
07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
The Utah Jazz have quickly moved into the lead to acquire Al Jefferson and were actively trying Monday night to complete a deal with Minnesota, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Jazz and Timberwolves are engaged in serious discussions on a deal that would slot Jefferson's contract into the $14 million trade exception that Utah created earlier this week in its sign-and-trade deal with Carlos Boozer.

It was not immediately known what Minnesota would receive in return, but Utah can complete such a deal without sending back any players to the Wolves.

Sources have consistently said that the Wolves' main aim in shopping Jefferson in recent weeks is securing multiple future first-round picks and taking back no salary if possible.

The Dallas Mavericks were widely believed to be the most serious suitor for Jefferson in recent days, but the sides have been unable to agree on the terms of a deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5374949

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 09:49 PM
read his earlier posts and u'd understand what he said.

Thank you for backing me up. lol Ya I said NOT everyone can have 2 7-footers. The average height for a center is 6-10. So its not bad. Still not a contender but keeps them at one of the better playoff teams in the west.

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 10:08 PM
http://twitter.com/STEIN_LINE_HQ

LA_Raiders
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
good replacement for booz...

_Supreme_
07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I hope Utah pulls this off after so many of their players left during this offseason.

S-Dot
07-12-2010, 10:46 PM
good replacement for booz...

this

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
http://twitter.com/greginutah

Owner of the Jazz

"I just approved a Jazz roster move that I'm very excited about. Planning to share details tomorrow."

Sounds like a done deal.

Sixerlover
07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
So Al Jeff for a TPE and a couple picks more than likely. I guess Kahn was really serious about the Love / Milicic front court

jimbobjarree
07-12-2010, 10:55 PM
someone needs to leak the deal greg is talking about, tomorow is sooo longgg away

WSU Tony
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Trade exception and a 1st rounder, maybe two. You guys own Memphis' pick (protected) maybe that's what Kahn wanted to get his hands on. Maybe its the Utah pick. Maybe it's both. Maybe Flynn is in the deal (since the wolves are close to signing Luke R.) Maybe Sessions is in the deal.

Minnesota fans are quickly learning not to try to figure Kahn out.

Mishmin
07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I can't see an immediate fit in Sloan's system, but as a Boston fan I say good for Big Al. He's proven himself and although it's yet to be determined if it would work, he deserves to finally be on a big stage, with a great pg, etc. I hope it goes through.

Giants-49ers-Ws
07-12-2010, 11:07 PM
utah making a great move if this true

roshan3ai
07-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Not a bad replacement for Boozer. I thought they wanted Milly to start though?

jdub747
07-12-2010, 11:08 PM

you know were talking about al jefferson right?

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Not a bad replacement for Boozer. I thought they wanted Milly to start though?

Jefferson will start at Center to begin the year because of Okur's injury. Millsap will still start. But when Okur comes back who knows who will be benched. Millsap or Okur? we will see

Lo Porto
07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
You guys keep bashing on Utah. That's fine. Jefferson will be a big addition to Utah because he will excel in the slow system. If Utah keeps Matthews, I guarantee that Utah will contend for the West very, very soon if Hayward becomes as good as some think...

WSU Tony
07-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Wolves = running = bad fit for jefferson.

Utah = half court = good fit for jefferson.

Take his salary and throw a few picks, both teams will win.

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
So that rather pay Al Jefferson than have just given Boozer the money??? I guess the two additional years meant something....

Its a good move for Utah though. With a PG like Deron, Al Jefferson can shine.

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 11:18 PM
You guys keep bashing on Utah. That's fine. Jefferson will be a big addition to Utah because he will excel in the slow system. If Utah keeps Matthews, I guarantee that Utah will contend for the West very, very soon if Hayward becomes as good as some think...

Matthews is gone.......... Unless the trade exception is what Portland offered. We are in the luxury tax now with the Jefferson trade.

Doesn't the Mid Level not count against that?

I just see the Jazz using the Mid Level for a SG and Fesenko....... But I could be wrong we already have tons of Big guys now.

If it doesn't count against the cap than the Jazz will resign him and let Fesenko go.

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 11:19 PM
So that rather pay Al Jefferson than have just given Boozer the money???

Boozer is 3 years older. Jazz fans have wanted him out for years. Jefferson is longer and more athletic. And its only a 3 year deal.

No brainer in my opinion.

Mplsman
07-12-2010, 11:23 PM
you know were talking about al jefferson right?

haah

WSU Tony
07-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Can you guys match for Wes and then trade him to us (wolves?)

Ware_Spencer
07-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Can you guys match for Wes and then trade him to us (wolves?)

No the trade exception can't involve any players from our side.

PolishXperiment
07-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Interesting to see what plays out.
Either way, Hayward is going to be awesome :p

topdog
07-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Interesting to see what plays out.
Either way, Hayward is going to be awesome :p

Agree.

Disagree.

MU and UW Fan
07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
People say they already got Okur and Millsap under contract which is true but you need to have some depth especially after loosing Boozer. Having 3 solid big men who can rotate is a great luxury to have.

Twolves88
07-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Trade exception
2 1st

for jefferson

Good enough deal.

Both picks will probably be around 14-25 range.

jimbobjarree
07-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I still think this is a steal for Jefferson, two mid-late 1st rounders. I just hope it doesnt cost us wesley.

and we get to snatch a player from the grasps of the Mavs too lol

defender4m
07-12-2010, 11:49 PM
he can help out on the boards not that booz is gone.

Twolves88
07-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I think the most the mavs want to do is a pure salary dump through dampier...

this is a better overall trade.

howiend
07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
No the trade exception can't involve any players from our side.

can't this be gotten around by the wolves and jazz doing a separate trade of say cory brewer for wes matthews?

JordansBulls
07-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Jefferson helps Dallas more than Utah.

toronto_JazzFan
07-13-2010, 01:20 AM
nah jefferson will be playing with the best point guard in the world watch his numbers. boozers numbers are gonna go down with a shoot first pg. ill sig bet any1 if jefferson plays with deron williams he will be an all sar this year.

BradyIsTheMan12
07-13-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure the Jazz just got Jefferson but I'm not sure if my link is legit so I'm not posting it till I'm sure.

nuggetsyankees
07-13-2010, 01:45 AM
nah jefferson will be playing with the best point guard in the world watch his numbers. boozers numbers are gonna go down with a shoot first pg. ill sig bet any1 if jefferson plays with deron williams he will be an all sar this year.

I'll take you up on that bet

Ware_Spencer
07-13-2010, 01:48 AM
I'll take you up on that bet

Boozer's numbers will go down with Rose unless Rose becomes a pass first point guard. Which I doubt.

Jefferson's numbers won't go up in terms of points. Millsap will also run the pick and roll too. Okur will run the pick and pop. And they still have wing players to get the ball too.

Jefferson's Field goal percentage will go up though. He will shoot close to 55 percent. Rather than 49.

losbreezy
07-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Another big man that cant defend for Utah.

jiggin
07-13-2010, 02:22 AM
good pick up if they move some of their other entities that block the position. No need for him otherwise.

DerekRE_3
07-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Jefferson helps Dallas more than Utah.

Why?

MR.HAM
07-13-2010, 02:40 AM
so what do you guys think the jazz will be sending to Minnesota for big Al, i was hearing the rights to the grizzlies pick or something, it is top 10 protected as well but that kinda sucks for us even though it would clear up a lot of cap room and give Beasley more minutes

Bucsfan
07-13-2010, 03:04 AM
jazz will still need a big defensive guy...but i would take big al over boozer...his numbers are better...hope this is true and we can welcome big al to utah!

Bucsfan
07-13-2010, 03:06 AM
so what do you guys think the jazz will be sending to Minnesota for big Al, i was hearing the rights to the grizzlies pick or something, it is top 10 protected as well but that kinda sucks for us even though it would clear up a lot of cap room and give Beasley more minutes

aactually its lottery protected period...i thinks its kosta, a 1st round pick and the te...thats it

zambo4president
07-13-2010, 03:17 AM

Derrick Rose isn't a shoot first PG!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Completely the opposite, he's a pure PG. Please sign me up for that bet.

zambo4president
07-13-2010, 03:18 AM
Who's planning on scoring for the Jazz btw?

jiggin
07-13-2010, 03:20 AM
offense will improve at the cost of defense

al jefferson isn't known for his containment

jiggin
07-13-2010, 03:23 AM
It appears the Al Jefferson sweepstakes are about to come to an end, and the winners are the Utah Jazz. The Jazz will reportedly send the $13 million Traded Player Exception they obtained by signing and trading Carlos Boozer to the Chicago Bulls to Minnesota in exchange for Jefferson, who will effectively replace Boozer in the lineup. To be clear, that opens up $13 million in straight cap space for the Timberwolves that will not expire at any time.

The Jazz were just one of many teams who were looking to deal with the Timberwolves, who had conversations with teams ranging from the New Jersey Nets to the Dallas Mavericks and Cleveland Cavaliers.

This trade is not yet complete, but it does seem to be down to working out the details. The Timberwolves would like the Jazz to include the first round pick they acquired from the Memphis Grizzlies in their midseason trade of Ronnie Brewer. The Jazz are reportedly open to including that pick in the deal.

A source with knowledge of the situation cautions that while this deal is close to happening, it's not final. There is a debate going on about what picks will be included for Minnesota. We'll have more on this situation as it develops.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16795

Mplsman
07-13-2010, 03:46 AM
^20-10 guy for cap space and a mid 1st. Wow.

The Raven
07-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Id think he'd be a better fit in Dallas rather then Utah. Seems like Utah doesnt really need him all that much. Frankly with the amount of talent they have lost at other positions, one would think their mind would be elsewhere