PDA

View Full Version : Why Didn't The Cavs Have A "Plan B"?

michelangelo
07-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm really mystified by this.

With LeBron being courted by every team in the NBA, and with rumors swirling around about his likely signing with Chicago or Miami or NY, the Cavs organization stood around in some odd hypnotic trance.

Why didn't they pursue an Amare Stoudamire? Why didn't they make overtures to Bosh?

Obviouisly, not having a GM hurt. Just having signed a coach with only a few days to go in the free agency sweepstakes didn't help either.

But it seems a colossal error in planning and judgement for the Cavs not to have a pro-active strategy in the event that LeBron bailed.

Discuss. Explain.

GSW Hoops
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Dan Gilbert was too busy throwing a sh**fit over LeBron.

zambo4president
07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY IN CLEVELAND. And this dream team plan has been in place for years. Bosh wouldn't have gone their, plus he said he didn't wanna go there. LeBron supposedly tried to get him to join him in Cleveland. And if your Amare do you wanna go to ohio or New York? It's an easy choice.

1manteam33
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
what would be their plan B if no one wants to go to Cleveland then no one wants to go there. The NBA Free Agency is ruining the NBA and every team other then the Heat. I've always like Free Agency but this teaming up crap has taking basketball to a sad place I won't be watching next year.

michelangelo
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Well, that certainly happened, but AFTER LeBron bailed. Why didn't they formulate a strategy prior to his leaving? They don't even seem to have one now. In fact, I'm certain they don't.

Dan Gilbert was too busy throwing a sh**fit over LeBron.

philab
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
No cap space.

Jesus people, we've been over this a hundred times. The Cavs had a cap hold for LeBron's salary. They would have had to waive LeBron's Bird rights or else use an exception. The first would have been asinine and the second wouldn't net a Bosh or Stoudemire.

They could have swung a trade, but there didn't appear to be much out there.

And any chance for a "Plan B" was shot since LeBron waited until the 8th day of FA to make his decision.

LTS
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM

With LeBron being courted by every team in the NBA, and with rumors swirling around about his likely signing with Chicago or Miami or NY, the Cavs organization stood around in some odd hypnotic trance.

Why didn't they pursue an Amare Stoudamire? Why didn't they make overtures to Bosh?

Obviouisly, not having a GM hurt. Just having signed a coach with only a few days to go in the free agency sweepstakes didn't help either.But it seems a colossal error in planning and judgement for the Cavs not to have a pro-active strategy in the event that LeBron bailed.

Discuss. Explain.

Signing Scott was the best move they made not really a negative note for attracting players but as everyone has stated Bosh Would come to CLE and neither will most stars

And owner has the maturity of a PSD blogger(thats a joke... kind of)

Dol-Fan
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Maybe they did have a plan B, but we'll never know, and it never would have come to fruition, cause you know, it's Cleveland...

thekmp211
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
unfortunately this is plan b for cleveland

plan a: re-sign lebron, acquire another star player to play with him
plan b: lose lebron in fa, begin to tear up the other expensive assets on the team.

its rebuilding time in cleveland im afraid. lets just hope they dont get dajuan wagnered in the coming drafts

philab
07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Well, that certainly happened, but AFTER LeBron bailed. Why didn't they formulate a strategy prior to his leaving? They don't even seem to have one now. In fact, I'm certain they don't.

What do you want them to do now?

First, it's only be four days. Give them some time.

Second, it's not worth it to throw a bunch of money at someone. The team clearly has no shot at anything more than an 8th seed as is. Why not try to unload some contracts, swing some young players, and wait for the draft?

Unloading contracts and swinging young players are deals more likely to be made at the deadline or, at the very least, not while there are still a few FAs out there.

knicksfan23
07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Signing Scott was the best move they made not really a negative note for attracting players but as everyone has stated Bosh Would come to CLE and neither will most stars

And owner has the maturity of a PSD blogger(thats a joke... kind of)

win

jlisec01
07-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm thinking that they do have a plan B, because they said they were going to win a championship before Lebron, didn't they?

Jaji
07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY IN CLEVELAND.

This.

There could have been no realistic plan B because no one wants to go to Cleveland. Their only hope was re-signing LeBron, and IMO, they had no hope of that either.

michelangelo
07-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't want them to do anything and I don't particularly care.

However, it seems given the hype around this free agency period and the importance of it to cleveland in particular, they would have had a full blown "war plan" in place, either WITH or WITHOUT LeBron.

Instead, you get the owner mouthing off like a 12 year old boy whose first girlfriend broke up with him to date the captain of the pee wee football team.

The strategy you've outlined makes sense; what strikes me as (almost) impossible to believe is that the owner and nonexistent management had no strategy except to indulge LeBron or pout and throw a tantrum if he left?

The owner built up a huge fortune with quicken loans so he must know something about planning and financial gamesmanship. Instead he looks like a completely inane and thorough incompetent.

What do you want them to do now?

First, it's only be four days. Give them some time.

Second, it's not worth it to throw a bunch of money at someone. The team clearly has no shot at anything more than an 8th seed as is. Why not try to unload some contracts, swing some young players, and wait for the draft?

Unloading contracts and swinging young players are deals more likely to be made at the deadline or, at the very least, not while there are still a few FAs out there.

Lake_Show2416
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
What could they really do by the time Lebron made up his mind all of the top free agents signed and theres no point for them to get more role players.......they have enough(the whole team)

boolish
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
lebrand didn't give them any options. they were over the salary cap because they tried to win "now". lebrand did not actively try to get bosh because the end game was for lebrand to leave anyway. he also did it in a way that didn't give CLE any time to come up with a plan b. all the top FA were gone.

jeter 2
07-12-2010, 06:53 PM
PLAN B: BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT

Cleveland fans should hope that they get the #1 pick and draft Harrison Barnes.

Niro
07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
there just was no possibility for a plan b. no cap room, no really good trade pieces.
it was really all or nothing for the cavs

rhaas74
07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Right now the Cavs have the MLE, thats it. If they renounce Shaq's and Z's rights they end up having $7 million. Who out there would come in for that price that would fill the whole left by LeBron. The Cavs have a huge trade exception that can be used to make a trade sometime this year. They need to build this way, not go out and overpay for the FAs that are left.

michelangelo
07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Good point. I didn't have much info on Cleveland's salary cap situation, although having Shaq, Jamison and LeBron on board must have compromised their situation severely even without going over the figures.

I'm still mystified by the owner's meltdown. The guy is a representative not only of a particular team but of an entire community. The types of statements he made call for immediate contrition, if not out and out withdrawal.

I hope he comes to his senses sometime soon. Perhaps the fiery statement of his is a reflection of his competitive spirit? Or, just a moronic lapse in judgment. I suppose time will tell.

Right now the Cavs have the MLE, thats it. If they renounce Shaq's and Z's rights they end up having $7 million. Who out there would come in for that price that would fill the whole left by LeBron. The Cavs have a huge trade exception that can be used to make a trade sometime this year. They need to build this way, not go out and overpay for the FAs that are left.

michelangelo
07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I suppose not. Perhaps in retrospect they should've created a sign and trade situation, maybe trading him to the Suns for Amare?

I'm just really surprised this situation was seemingly bungled so badly by the cavs.

there just was no possibility for a plan b? no cap room, no really good trade pieces.
it was really all or nothinh for the cavs

Jaji
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm trying out for the Cavs this year. This could be my shot :D.

Hoopsadvocate
07-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Just goes to show what kind of organization the cavs have imo (not even trying to bash) I mean riley had a plan a,b,c, probably even a D. Also they did not have much money to do very much they kind of put all their eggs in the lebron basket.

DerekRE_3
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
To the OP: What would your plan B for Cleveland be?

kozelkid
Well for one they don't have the cap or flexibility for a plan B.
For another, it's a pretty bad organization. Yes, I feel bad for Cleveland, but FO and Gilbert were part of the problem.

michelangelo
Ha ha, nicely put. Riles always puts together great combinations: Hardaway/'Zo, Wade/Shaq, now this.

Riles is ten steps ahead of everybody else. So is Jerry Buss.

Dan Gilbert is going to bungle this situation badly in the next few years. There may be an informal ouster of this goof in the years to come. And I think Gilbert may welcome it.

Just goes to show what kind of organization the cavs have imo (not even trying to bash) I mean riley had a plan a,b,c, probably even a D. Also they did not have much money to do very much they kind of put all their eggs in the lebron basket.

michelangelo
07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
With their incompetent leadership, I don't think it would have mattered. From what I've read, the owner gave LeBron and his boys free rein and keys to the candy store.

If that was the situation, it would prove unsolvable, period.

I think their best plan would be to remove the owner. I think it's inevitable that once Gilbert sees how tough it is to recruit free agents, and how mediocre their team will be with the Heat's draft picks, he'll up and leave.

To the OP: What would your plan B for Cleveland be?

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Obviouisly, not having a GM hurt. Just having signed a coach with only a few days to go in the free agency sweepstakes didn't help either.

But it seems a colossal error in planning and judgement for the Cavs not to have a pro-active strategy in the event that LeBron bailed.

Discuss. Explain.

Because they didn't have any money.

esewicked13
07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
because all ohio sports team's suck except for maybe the bengals but eeeeeewwwwww their uniforms and logos are gross

The Raven
07-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Im sure they thought all along Lebron was going to stay. Thats why they made no moves

Mochalman
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
because ohio teams are destined to never win anything.

mikantsass
07-13-2010, 03:13 PM
1. They dont have cap space for a big free agent. Lebron's would have been cap hold/bird rights/all of the above

2. Didnt they persue a S&T for Bosh until Toronto shut them out?

3. They hired an actual head coach, not just some dummy who stands and yells "give the ball to lebron"

4. Its not like Cleveland is a desired free agent destination

Their Plan B is to get rid of their large contracts and rebuild through trades and the draft