PDA

View Full Version : Morrow traded to Nets

Niro
07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
LAS VEGAS -- Turns out, the Warriors are going to get a little something for losing shooting guard Anthony Morrow. The Warriors have worked out a deal that will send Morrow to the New Jersey Nets for a $4 million trade exception, according to NBA sources.

The deal has been agreed upon in principle but is not yet official. The trade was first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

Morrow also confirmed the deal on Twitter, saying goodbye to Warriors fans with this tweet:

"It's gonna be tough leaving the Warriors but I feel like I had to do what was best for myself and my family and I'm thankful for you all who support me, and those who don't LOL I love all yall."

He posted on Twitter that he had signed a contract that would move the deal forward. The NBA still must OK the deal.

Morrow added in another tweet: "This whole situation has been a blessing and I thank God for my opportunity the Warriors gave me and that the Nets have given me. I can truly say that God is Great."

The Nets were poised to sign Morrow to a three-year, $12 million offer sheet, which would have given the Warriors one week to decide whether or not to match.

Rather than go through that process, the sides came up with a deal in which the Warriors get something for Morrow, and the Nets can wrap up the transaction more quickly.

Morrow’s contract is said to be for $4 million each season. The Warriors could have matched the offer and remained below the NBA’s luxury tax, but the acquisition of small forward Dorell Wright made Morrow more expendable.

A trade exception is basically a salary slot for a player who does not exist. In short, it’s a tool that adds some flexibility to potential trades. The Warriors will have one year to use it before it expires, but they are not likely to use it immediately.

It’s more likely that if they use it, they’ll use it in February, near the trade deadline, or during next year’s NBA draft.

better than just loose him through fa i guess

ChiSox219
07-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Great pickup for the Nets

m26555
07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I don't get the Warriors. I really don't.

DerekRE_3
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Neither do I. I'd rather have Morrow than Dorrell Wright.

robdizzle3
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
For people saying that NJ wont be getting in the playoffs are sadly mistaken. They will be a threat this upcoming season.

GSW Hoops
07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
:facepalm:

TheKing23
07-12-2010, 05:59 PM
The Nets have slowly positioned themselves to be a dark horse next year...

I guarantee there'll be no repeat of a 12-win season and I can see them fighting for a playoff spot.

PG: Devin Harris/Jordan Farmar
SG: Terrence Williams/Anthony Morrow
SF: Travis Outlaw/Damion James
PF: Derrick Favors/Kris Humphries
C: Brook Lopez/Josh Boone

That's a really nice, young squad.

_Supreme_
07-12-2010, 06:03 PM

I guarantee there'll be no repeat of a 12-win season and I can see them fighting for a playoff spot.

Don't they also still have Courtney Lee?

Nice team if you ask me. Hopefully they can contend for a playoff spot next season. Would be a big step forward for them.

A NY/NJ rivalry at this point would be very entertaining to watch :D

JOSKOMANG4
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM

C) B.Lopez
PF) D.Favors
SF) T.Outlaw
SG) C.Lee
PG) D.Harris

Bench:

SF/SG T.Williams
SF D.James
SG B.Morrow
PG J.Farmar
C/PF J.Boone
C J.Petro
PF K.Humphries
C B.Zoubek(rookie)
SG B.Uzoh(rookie)

I'm gonna out the limb to say the Nets will be a 44 win team next season; possible 7th seed in East Conference.

Robbw241
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Don't they also still have Courtney Lee?

Yep, wouldn't be surprised if he is traded for a good PF though.

knicksfan23
07-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Gosh darn I'm so jealous we couldn't give Amare and them knees 100 million.

how do u kno? he could be completly healthy.and amare is a superstar, and the knicks have a lot of young talent.i give credit to the nets for having devin harris and brook lopez but they still suck

tredigs
07-12-2010, 06:07 PM
So we sign the worse player of the two - who's fresh off a DUI - through free agency, over our own player who has shown to be a great kid with an amazing work ethic and has instantly become one of the best pure shooters in play in the NBA. Stat wise, he's on pace to be one of the best pure shooters of all time... all for virtually the same exact contract.

Solid.

Can the Warriors ink the deal on their new ownership, already?

The Nets are looking good. Even last year they were much better (when healthy) than that ridiculous record indicated. They still need a solid PF like Scola to step in and show Favors the ropes. If they can get that piece, they're a tough team.

nuggetsyankees
07-12-2010, 06:07 PM
they really shouldn't have traded CDR if his replacement was gonna be Anthony Morrow

Robbw241
07-12-2010, 06:08 PM
how do u kno? he could be completly healthy.and amare is a superstar, and the knicks have a lot of young talent.i give credit to the nets for having devin harris and brook lopez but they still suck

If the Nets "suck", then the Knicks are at most 1 step above sucking.

m26555
07-12-2010, 06:11 PM
they really shouldn't have traded CDR if his replacement was gonna be Anthony Morrow
:confused:

I don't think you realize how good Morrow is.

thekmp211
07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
all of their pickups have been young and relatively cheap.

they are called ASSETS!

eventually a few of these guys are going to be flipped for something else, but in the meantime i think the Nets have a very solid, competitive squad.

zambo4president
07-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't see them in the playoffs. Not sure what some of you are seeing.

BkOriginalOne
07-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Having a shooter like that is nice.

I still say Lee comes off the pine. Not about experience, but style.
You can't start Lee/harris in the backcourt. Defensive woes.

zambo4president
07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
:confused:

I don't think you realize how good Morrow is.

I don't think anyone really knows how good Morrow is. He might just be a complete system product of the Warriors.

nuggetsyankees
CDR is better than Anthony Morrow plain and simple...Morrow is inconsistent and has not developed any defensive skills thanks to coach Nelson

caddiemaster
Give the new kid a chance!This trade was all about us getting something for nothing.We were not going to resign Morrow but played hardball and still got something for him.How hard is that to figure out?Good one Riley......just dont frk the big trade thats coming up!

zambo4president
07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Having a shooter like that is nice.

I still say Lee comes off the pine. Not about experience, but style.
You can't start Lee/harris in the backcourt. Defensive woes.

Lee's a very good defender:confused:

Do0msday
07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
hahaha that was actually funny

I agree with that. It was pretty witty and clever.

Lake_Show2416
07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
really good pick up... theres always room on a roster for a pure shooter

m26555
07-12-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't think anyone really knows how good Morrow is. He might just be a complete system product of the Warriors.
His unbelievable shooting stroke has absolutely nothing to do with Golden State's system.

Raidaz4Life
07-12-2010, 06:19 PM
What a dumb move by the Warriors... they let one of the premiere up and coming shooters in the league go for peanuts.

m26555
07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
What a dumb move by the Warriors... they let one of the premiere up and coming shooters in the league go for peanuts.
On top of trading a potential superstar in Anthony Randolph.

arkanian215
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM

If the Nets suck, then what does that say about the team that split the season series with them?

tadmanny
07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Morrow is a very good shooter, but pretty avg in everything else. His dribbling gets him into trouble and he's not a good on ball defender. People drive right by him. I'm not saying hes not a good player, but I am saying the Warriors couldn't afford signing him to that kind of deal. Dorell Wright at least plays D and has height. He is more of a SF and that's what we needed. The fact the Warriors actually got something back for him is awesome. I think they are going to make another solid move because they have about 17 million dollars in expirings, including the 4 million trade exception they got for Morrow. Morrow will be a good platoon guy with Courtney Lee at the 2 in NJ tho.

BayHuStLE
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Im gonna miss morrow,

the perception is that larry riley is going with brandon wright, and that kind of secured the offer sheet to the nets... Sucks because morrow was by far our second best shooter behind curry, and we are gonna miss him

Good job NJ, have fun

knicksfan23
07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
If the Nets suck, then what does that say about the team that split the season series with them?

the knicks improved more then the nets,plain and simple

esscobar05
07-12-2010, 06:37 PM

Morrow is a deadly shooter.... Didn't he lead the league in 3pt % the year before last and lead the league this season at the all-star break and didn't even get invited to the 3pt contest.... He will shoot 45% from 3's consistently and that is someone that is good for any team period! Hate to see him go. He works his butt off and will help the Nets out royally..
Nice pick up!

arkanian215
07-12-2010, 06:46 PM
the knicks improved more then the nets,plain and simple

Good job man yall still lost to twice to the 12-70 Nets.

PHX2daDEATH
07-12-2010, 06:48 PM
The guy is automatic and yeah NJ Will make the playoffs, they are better off then Cleveland and Charlotte right now, dont ever underestimate Avery Johnson.. They have the perfect formula.. Good PG.. Solid Center and a player who's going to take the next step to being a superstar (terrence williams)

CityofTreez
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Thank You GSWarriors FO :clap:

Niro
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
morrow is prettey much average at everything other than shooting the ball. he is just automatic from everywhere, has the potencial to be one of the best shooters ever. big loss for the warriors

knicksfan23
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Good job man yall still lost to twice to the 12-70 Nets.

good job your team went 12-70:clap:

Lloyd Christmas
07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Morrow is an underrated rebounder also.

CityofTreez
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Knicks & Nets fans should thank the GSW FO decsions this offseason!

DraKo
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
good pickup for the nets.

tredigs
07-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Morrow is a very good shooter, but pretty avg in everything else. His dribbling gets him into trouble and he's not a good on ball defender. People drive right by him. I'm not saying hes not a good player, but I am saying the Warriors couldn't afford signing him to that kind of deal. Dorell Wright at least plays D and has height. He is more of a SF and that's what we needed. The fact the Warriors actually got something back for him is awesome. I think they are going to make another solid move because they have about 17 million dollars in expirings, including the 4 million trade exception they got for Morrow. Morrow will be a good platoon guy with Courtney Lee at the 2 in NJ tho.

I can't sell myself on Wright yet. It's true that we desperately needed a defensive presence at the 2/3, so I'm hoping that he can be that player... because there are only 1-2 pure shooters of Morrow's caliber playing in the league, and that's an invaluable asset to a team that wants to make a deep playoff run.

I'm glad that they at least picked up the trade exception, I just pray that they wait to use it until the new ownership is in place. I don't need Riley using it on a S&T with Monta for Brian Scalbrine and 3 mules.

arkanian215
07-12-2010, 07:14 PM

:up::horse:

Iodine
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I feel bad for Tredigs

tredigs
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I feel bad for Tredigs

My football team is the Raiders. Can I get a lifetime achievement award for sportsfan dedication in the face of incompetent ownership?

If the Warriors weren't selling their team this summer and we didn't have Steph Curry, my proxy-homerism of the Thunder would be pretty out of control right now.

Morrow was my favorite player on the team along with Curry though, this one hurt.

RandyOreens
07-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Knicks are angry they couldn't get Morrow and got Ronny Turiaf!!
Their team is going to be awful this year

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
C) B.Lopez
PF) D.Favors
SF) T.Outlaw
SG) C.Lee
PG) D.Harris

Bench:

SF/SG T.Williams
SF D.James
SG B.Morrow
PG J.Farmar
C/PF J.Boone
C J.Petro
PF K.Humphries
C B.Zoubek(rookie)
SG B.Uzoh(rookie)

I'm gonna out the limb to say the Nets will be a 44 win team next season; possible 7th seed in East Conference.

im getting deja vu..... copy and paste? ;)

Iodine
07-12-2010, 07:31 PM
My football team is the Raiders. Can I get a lifetime achievement award for sportsfan dedication in the face of incompetent ownership?

If the Warriors weren't selling their team this summer and we didn't have Steph Curry, my proxy-homerism of the Thunder would be pretty out of control right now.

Morrow was my favorite player on the team along with Curry though, this one hurt.

You might get the award if you answer this correctly
What is your favorite college team?

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I really wanted him to go the Bulls, IMO he'd be better than Redick for much less.

Lloyd Christmas
07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Don't forget he can do this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcpzLF91n0

tredigs
07-12-2010, 07:34 PM
You might get the award if you answer this correctly
What is your favorite college team?

Cal. Did I break it?

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 07:36 PM

a product of a system doesn't take 80% jump shots and make 47% overall from the field 46% from the 3 and 88% from the line. That guy can flat out shoot the basketball and at that price he'd be a better fit for you guys than JJ.

Iodine
07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Cal. Did I break it?

You should get 5 awards

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Lee's a very good defender:confused:

not very good but he's certainly solid.

Hugbees
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
C) B.Lopez
PF) D.Favors
SF) T.Outlaw
SG) C.Lee
PG) D.Harris

Bench:

SF/SG T.Williams
SF D.James
SG B.Morrow
PG J.Farmar
C/PF J.Boone
C J.Petro
PF K.Humphries
C B.Zoubek(rookie)
SG B.Uzoh(rookie)

:laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh:

MattyAction
07-12-2010, 07:46 PM

Nets have been the better team for a full decade-hands down. Of course other than last year, when the Knicks ran wild....

Gym Class Hero
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Don't forget he can do this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcpzLF91n0

Even the announcer said that was a one time thing. Decent signing but dont expect much more than an overhyped young bench player to add to a team full of them.

You guys won 12 games. Dont tell me how good your core is.

Even the knicks now have a better young core.

Gallo
Chandler
Randolph
Douglas
Walker

Gym Class Hero
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Nets have been the better team for a full decade-hands down. Of course other than last year, when the Knicks ran wild....

And how about the entire decade of the 90's

Iodine
07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
:laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh:

Cool story dude

Gym Class Hero
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Question for a nets fan.....

If your star child Lopez was on the lakers, spurs, magic, or boston how good would he look then. He would play 8-10 min a game and be lucky to average 5 points. So dont tell us how nasty he is. Hes the 5 year old on a team full of toddlers.

D2theJ
07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
C) B.Lopez
PF) D.Favors
SF) T.Outlaw
SG) C.Lee
PG) D.Harris

Bench:

SF/SG T.Williams
SF D.James
SG B.Morrow
PG J.Farmar
C/PF J.Boone
C J.Petro
PF K.Humphries
C B.Zoubek(rookie)
SG B.Uzoh(rookie)

Lol us Net fans can dream that, they've improved but not to the point where they'll be that good. They had a lot of good young talent last year and that didnt go too well. I see something like 20-25 wins unless they trade for a star at some point could be a little higher.

Swashcuff

If your star child Lopez was on the lakers, spurs, magic, or boston how good would he look then. He would play 8-10 min a game and be lucky to average 5 points. So dont tell us how nasty he is. Hes the 5 year old on a team full of toddlers.

how stupid can one person be?

I am not even a Nets fan and I just :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: at this. Sigh?

Iodine

Holy ****, dude, you need to get checked out. I really think you either have full blown retardation or don't watch basketball

Lloyd Christmas
07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Even the announcer said that was a one time thing. Decent signing but dont expect much more than an overhyped young bench player to add to a team full of them.

Gallo
Chandler
Randolph
Douglas
Walker

I'm not even a Nets fan. Why all of the hate? This reminds me of that Chapelle show episode of the haters ball. "Now excuse me while I go home and change the water in Gym Class Hero's mama's dish." Hate! Hate! Hate...

Robbw241
07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

This is easily the stupidest thing I have ever read on this site.

Swashcuff
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Holy ****, dude, you need to get checked out. I really think you either have full blown retardation or don't watch basketball

its most likely both X2

MattyAction
07-12-2010, 08:01 PM

Gallo
Chandler
Randolph
Douglas
Walker

Yeah that great core would all play on contending teams. 7 seconds or less!!! Quick somebody chuck a three!!! Thats a helluva system right there. At least we know it has worked in the past

arkanian215
07-12-2010, 08:01 PM

lol nevermind, what everyone else said.

The Raven
07-13-2010, 02:46 PM
That kid's a baller

CarniifeX
07-13-2010, 03:30 PM

:facepalm: Thank you for your contributions to my signature.

MrBigShotBWill
07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Ha, Yea he def knows nothing about basketball. Brook Lopez is a "BEAST"

And adding Morrow the nets def should win over 30-35 games this year. I like this squad.

I agree could be a dark horse this year. Let everyone sleep on them. They just need to come out strong first 15 games of the season.

what54!?
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I would think morrow is a better fit for and warriors than wright....

netsgiantsyanks
07-13-2010, 04:17 PM

if he was on the spurs or boston he would be the starting center dummy. and plus, your arguement is invalid because he wouldnt have been on those teams anyway.

netsgiantsyanks
07-13-2010, 04:19 PM
i like this trade VERY MUCH how many times are we going to rob golden state?? lol

J-Relo
07-13-2010, 04:22 PM

definitely!

VinceCarter
07-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Amare is not a superstar.:laugh:

And the Nets don't suck. Get out of denial.

VinceCarter
07-13-2010, 04:51 PM

I could respond in so many ways to this but I think all of them would get me banned for insulting you.

So here is the G rated version:

:laugh2: This is the silliest post ever.

arkanian215
07-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Warriors also get a second but it's top 55 protected.

VinceCarter
07-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Warriors also get a second but it's top 55 protected.

Meaning they won't get it haha

SeoulBeatz
07-13-2010, 05:54 PM

lol what?

TheBay30
07-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Morrow just a deadly shooter.
Not athletic and has no Defense! but best shooter in the NBA! no doubt

VinceCarter
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Morrow just a deadly shooter.
Not athletic and has no Defense! but best shooter in the NBA! no doubt

Avery Johnson will work him out.

Do0msday
07-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Far and away the dumbest post to ever be posted on this site. This is even dumber than those people who sign up to make 1 thread and fill it with a link full of spam. Truly pathetic. You have proven you know absolutely nothing about basketball.

netsgiantsyanks
07-13-2010, 07:37 PM

huh? i dont understand your reasoning. anthony morrow is a excellent shooter

arkanian215
07-13-2010, 07:44 PM

CDR's a different player than Morrow.

Also, CDR indirectly requested a trade. He wanted playing time and it was unlikely that he was going to get significant minutes with the Nets for whatever reason. I think Doug Overton is gone this season and most of CDR's fights were with him but there were times when he went up against the FO and Kiki as well. He really didn't show much professionalism in Jersey.

LeWade>Kobe
07-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Man ******* this morrow was solid we needed him if they are ever looking to deal monta ellis (not sure if they still want to deal him at some point)

Nets fan 93
07-15-2010, 04:49 AM
Yeah what were we thinking taking on 13 ppg, 46% 3pt shooter Anthony Morrow? CDR was so unprofessional in NJ. He was on the bench for a reason. He lost his starting spot to damn Jarvis Hayes. He is severely overrated. He has ego issues. That is why he was a second rounder. He refused to work out with the Lakers and other top teams

robbnen#31
07-15-2010, 05:15 AM
i like this trade VERY MUCH how many times are we going to rob golden state?? lol

How did you guys rob Golden State?

Nets fan 93
07-15-2010, 09:34 AM
How did you guys rob Golden State?
The nets got a highly protected 1st round pick, then they got a lowly protected pick and a second round pick for PG Marcus Williams

July 2008 – Nets trade Marcus Williams to Golden State for a heavily protected first round pick in 2011. [B+] The pick may not get used til 2013 and could turn into two second round picks in 2013 and 2015. Rod Thorn remains upset to this day that Williams never developed in spite of his "terrific talent". But Lawrence Frank wanted rid of him, sees him as a sullen, negative player. The pick, it turns out has trade value…the Blazers wanted it at the deadline in a Carter deal. Williams gets shoved deeper into Don Nelson’s doghouse than he ever did with Frank. By February, he hadn’t even scored 10 points for the Warriors, then in April gets cut.

September 2009 – The Nets and Warriors restructure their deal for Marcus Williams. [A] Instead of getting the heavily protected Warriors first round pick in 2011, the Nets will get a more lighly protected Warriors pick in 2012 as well as second round pick in 2011. Talk about your freebies. The Nets now have a virtually guaranteed first round pick and a fully guaranteed second round for a guy they dumped on the Warriors and who the Warriors didn’t like enough to keep around.
:clap:

xbrackattackx
07-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I will say it again, Nets are gonna surprise people, either by winning alot of games or trading all of these "good" pieces for a couple of great ones.