PDA

View Full Version : Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys (Ohio Native), tasteful farewell to LBJ

Bruno
07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Dan Auerbach, of The Black Keys

I should preface my thoughts by pointing out that I stopped really paying attention to sports when Craig Kilborn and Keith Olbermann split up. And my hometown heart was broken long ago, back when Ernest Byner fumbled the ball at the one-yard line. Lastly, I stopped propping my heroes up on pedestals immediately after meeting Lou Reed that was a bummer. Family and friends are all that matter to me now.

So, LeBron James is leaving Ohio. I believe Ohio should be thankful that such a talented guy stayed as long as he did and that he blessed our team and our big city [Cleveland] with all the excitement and riches that came from him just playing ball there. That was big business up there at the Q Arena. It was almost nauseating sitting in the stands with all of the advertising and JumboTrons and all that **** going on. Dudes yelling over the loud speakers handing out terrible pizzas while cheerleaders shot hot dogs into the stands with bazookas Oh my God. Big business on the back of LeBron. It was literally hard to watch the game sometimes. We milked him for sure on all fronts but his immense talent shone through it all.

Any grown up who's now wishing ill will on LeBron should be ashamed of themselves. Just because we bought a ticket to a game every once in a while and we rooted for him, that gives us the right to shackle him to our court? It's time to grow up. He doesn't owe us anything. I love Cleveland and I go there weekly when I'm home but no one person should prop up an entire city that's just unhealthy. I think we should all cherish the moments we got to spend in the stands with our family and friends rooting for our hometown hero. It was fun while it lasted. He gave us seven years of his life; 11 if you include those amazing high school games. That's longer than most marriages last! If you wanna complain about something, how about the $7 hot dogs at the Q?!

And I appreciated how he let us all know with the 9 o'clock television broadcast. He didn't drag it out or play mind games he told us when and where and that was that. We all tuned in and he spoke clearly and honestly. You can't deny that with all the knuckleheads running around in professional sports these days, with their fur coats, sex scandals, and handguns in their lockers, LeBron seems to rise above the rest with what seems to be a true heart.

I wish him the best of luck and I hope he wins his championship. He's a talent and he deserves it.

Sincerely,
Daniel Quine Auerbach
Ohio resident

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/179964
:clap::clap::clap:

Raoul Duke
07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
The BLACK Keys?!?!?!

OMGRACIST!!!! Wheres Jesse Jackson on this one?

EDIT: Wow. I just googled The Black Keys. Great stuff!

Epicfailure
07-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I love Dan Auerbach and the Black Keys, but I have to disagree with him here.

BigSteve
07-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Black Keys are one of my favorite bands, but he is wrong on this one. Its not about the fact that LeBron left, its how he did it.

Korman12
07-12-2010, 05:04 PM
But he is right about the hot dogs

Epicfailure
07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Still, Lebron was never the best thing to come out of Akron. It's always been the Black Keys. No doubt.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Still, Lebron was never the best thing to come out of Akron. It's always been the Black Keys. No doubt.

haha! I don't know about that, the general music community who hasn't already abandoned any hope in rock n' roll seem to enjoy the more watered down rockers, Kings of Leon.

The Black Keys are too real, one of my favorite blues/rock bands ever, but they'll never be appreciated on a massive commercial scale, unfortunately/fortunately.

Bruno
07-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Do you have Brothers, and have you ever seen them live?

I was able to check them out at OutSide Lands 2008 in Golden Gate Park (SF) and at the Filmore West two months later during the Attack and Release tour. Amazing.

bholly
07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I saw them last year in New Zealand. They're seem about as proud as it gets to be from Akron - it's written in big letters on their stage setup and they mentioned it a few times - so I believe this is heartfelt. Weird that he felt the need to put out a statement, though.

Chronz
07-12-2010, 05:46 PM
This guy reeks of class

Epicfailure
07-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Do you have Brothers, and have you ever seen them live?

I was able to check them out at OutSide Lands 2008 in Golden Gate Park (SF) and at the Filmore West two months later during the Attack and Release tour. Amazing.

Yeah, I bought Brothers on vinyl. I love the album. Probably their most consistently solid album from from front to back in quite some time. They might not get the publicity that they deserve, but they are very well respected musicians and I think that's good enough. They don't need to sell out stadiums to be a success. They're successful on their own terms, making the music they love.

I'm going to the show July 24th. I'm looking forward to it.

What'd you think of that whole Blakroc project?

Bruno
07-12-2010, 06:11 PM
The BLACK Keys?!?!?!

OMGRACIST!!!! Wheres Jesse Jackson on this one?

EDIT: Wow. I just googled The Black Keys. Great stuff!

lol!

Bruno
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I saw them last year in New Zealand. They're seem about as proud as it gets to be from Akron - it's written in big letters on their stage setup and they mentioned it a few times - so I believe this is heartfelt. Weird that he felt the need to put out a statement, though.

Yeah, Ive seen "Akron" written on Patricks bass drum before. When I saw them at Outside Lands two Akron natives were in the crowd right next to me, rocking out harder than anyone else in the crowd. They followed the band to California, said they had met the Keys and that they were the most genuine guys. Akron should be proud to have one of the best rock bands in the word to call their own.

Yeah, I bought Brothers on vinyl. I love the album. Probably their most consistently solid album from from front to back in quite some time. They might not get the publicity that they deserve, but they are very well respected musicians and I think that's good enough. They don't need to sell out stadiums to be a success. They're successful on their own terms, making the music they love.

I'm going to the show July 24th. I'm looking forward to it.

What'd you think of that whole Blakroc project?

You got it on vinyl! Thats awesome, i wanted to get that too- hasn't happened yet. Brothers is great, I agree. I also agree that they dont get the publicity they deserve, but I almost prefer it like that. It just makes them that much more special to guys like us. They are one of the best rock bands out right now. I'm trying to see them in September when they come to LA. Ill be there.

I thought Blakroc was really interesting and I thought they did a good job. With that being said, I'm not the biggest hip-hop fan.

BigDiazDizzle
07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
haha! I don't know about that, the general music community who hasn't already abandoned any hope in rock n' roll seem to enjoy the more watered down rockers, Kings of Leon.

The Black Keys are too real, one of my favorite blues/rock bands ever, but they'll never be appreciated on a massive commercial scale, unfortunately/fortunately.

I have to disagree with you there. I love both KoL and The Black Keys, both are great bands. Plus you never know KoL were largely unknown for a good number of years in the U.s at least. BTW: I actually believe The Black Keys are opening for KoL's tour

Bruno
07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I have to disagree with you there. I love both KoL and The Black Keys, both are great bands. Plus you never know KoL were largely unknown for a good number of years in the U.s at least. BTW: I actually believe The Black Keys are opening for KoL's tour

It should be the other way around! But I know KOL are much more popular than the black keys.

KOL were good in the early days, but you can't tell me the new KOL record and hits are as good as Brothers. They've gotten way more commercial, they're just less interesting now, IMO.

But hey man, whatever does it for you!

BigDiazDizzle
07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
It should be the other way around! But I know KOL are much more popular than the black keys.

KOL were good in the early days, but you can't tell me the new KOL record and hits are as good as Brothers. They've gotten way more commercial, they're just less interesting now, IMO.

But hey man, whatever does it for you!

Exactly, what may sound like crap to you may sound like the worlds greatest thing to another. But I do agree that early KoL was better, but they did say that they're going back to more of a 'Aha Shake Heartbreak' sound for the next album. If you listen to all their albums none of them sound alike. Just like the previous 3 albums I think that's what they were going for with 'Only By The Night'