PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Sonics Franchise not want a team there when they ended up getting Durant?

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Why did the Sonics Franchise not want a team there when they ended up getting Durant?

Why would they abandon wanting a team anymore?

DerekRE_3
07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
http://sonicsgate.org/movie/

Everything you need to know. And they did not abandon their team...that's a ****ing joke.

shen
07-12-2010, 04:59 PM
They wanted there team. The group from OKC that bought them always had the intention of moving them. Legally speaking Thunder are an expansion team if Seattle gets another team. If they get a team then name and history all goes to them and Thunder can't use 1 bit of it.

Mathew
07-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Some guy bought the team and ran off with it? The Fans had no say...

Baller1
07-12-2010, 05:00 PM
We did not abandon our team. That's the farthest from it. We were set up and ****ed over by Howard Schultz, Clay Bennett, and that ****er David Stern. Stern used Seattle as an example, and it was a ***** move on his part. He basically said "get a nicer arena, or we'll throw away all the history and memories you've developed over the past 40 years". Then the city of Seattle (the state legislature) sold us out and let the Key Arena lease be bought out.

Simply put: Howard Schultz, Clay Bennett, David Stern, and the Washington Legislature ****ed over the people of the state and the fans of the Seattle Supersonics.

PHX2daDEATH
07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I can see this happening in Phoenix in a few years... just a hunch due to our dumb### owner..

Lakerfan8032
07-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Why did the Sonics Franchise not want a team there when they ended up getting Durant?

As many times as you post here and follow the NBA (which I'm guessing you do) you should know this, or at least the basics of what happened. Are you just bored and trying to stir some **** up? All those jilted fans don't need to be reminded of this.

Baller1
07-12-2010, 05:15 PM
As many times as you post here and follow the NBA (which I'm guessing you do) you should know this, or at least the basics of what happened. Are you just bored and trying to stir some **** up? All those jilted fans don't need to be reminded of this.

Exactly.

Hellcrooner
07-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Okc robbed their team and the other nba owners allowed it.

Disgracefull.

hype707
07-12-2010, 05:23 PM
it had nothing to do with having Durant

JWO35
07-12-2010, 05:24 PM
See Baltimore Colts

masalex1205
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM

:facepalm:

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
We did not abandon our team. That's the farthest from it. We were set up and ****ed over by Howard Schultz, Clay Bennett, and that ****er David Stern. Stern used Seattle as an example, and it was a ***** move on his part. He basically said "get a nicer arena, or we'll throw away all the history and memories you've developed over the past 40 years". Then the city of Seattle (the state legislature) sold us out and let the Key Arena lease be bought out.

Simply put: Howard Schultz, Clay Bennett, David Stern, and the Washington Legislature ****ed over the people of the state and the fans of the Seattle Supersonics.

If Seattle does ever get their own team...would you be a Thunder fan or a Sonics fan?

If the answer is both...then who would you root for if they played against each other?

Klivlend
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Don't you dare. We wanted the Sonics to stay. We love our Sonics-and still do! I see people in Seattle wearing Sonic stuff all the time. It was that effer, Clay Bennet...

srfr4life
07-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I moved to Seattle back in '06. Fans didn't want them to leave, but they also didn't want to pay for a new Arena.

I foresee a team in the next 10 years and hopefully a new Arena built in Bellevue. It would be easier to get to.

Klivlend
07-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I moved to Seattle back in '06. Fans didn't want them to leave, but they also didn't want to pay for a new Arena.

I foresee a team in the next 10 years and hopefully a new Arena built in Bellevue. It would be easier to get to.

Ya, people didn't want to pay for a new arena cause we are currently paying for Quest Field (Seahawks), Safeco Field (Mariners) and the imploded Kingdome (Mariners and Seahawks) R.I.P.

Also, the deal Key Arena had with the city was super broke. They got ripped off.

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Some guy bought the team and ran off with it? The Fans had no say...

Oh really!!!

ldc62
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I thought it had something to do with arena problem.

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I thought it had something to do with arena problem.

:sad2:

I liked them better in Seattle.

X12Celtics3
07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
:sad2:

I liked them better in Seattle.

...why the sudden interest? It seems that you would have inquired about this around the time that it actually happened, being an NBA moderator and (I'm assuming) big fan of the sport. Not trying to insult you in anyway, just curious what spurred the sudden interest.

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Yeah, Kevin Durant would have changed EVERYTHING for the Sonics. You know wat happened....it was all over the PSD.

PS- I dont know about you anymore dude. Is ur account being hacked? No offense, but ur threads are so %$#@Q^#%7!!!!(and ur an NBA mod...smh)

S-Dot
07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
owners had their own intention when buying the team. and seattle didn't want to pay for a new arena at the time

I do miss that team though

infernoscurse
07-12-2010, 10:01 PM
the real question is why are the clippers still there?

ccg34
07-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Maybe the departure of Lebron can bring the Cavs to Seattle, and the Clippers don't need to be in LA. They already have the Lakers. The Clippers have been horrible since I was born. I hope Seattle can get the Cavs, Clippers, Grizzlies, or the Bobcats.

SugeKnight
07-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Everything you need to know. And they did not abandon their team...that's a ****ing joke.

:nod:

They changed ownership and the new owner was "a man possessed" on moving the team to OKC. Plus they didnt get any cash from their city and Stern flexed his power, making it clear to the other 29 teams that it is a privilege to have an NBA team.

SugeKnight
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
If you're a fan of the NBA, then you should watch sonicsgate

Baller1
07-12-2010, 10:34 PM
If Seattle does ever get their own team...would you be a Thunder fan or a Sonics fan?

If the answer is both...then who would you root for if they played against each other?

I honestly don't know how to answer that. I guess we'll have to find out when that day comes around.

soonabooma
07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Seattle didn't truly want the team until it was too late. They lost way too much interest after the Payton/Kemp era, and things got to a point where everybody knew the team was more than likely leaving. It was just a matter of who would buy the team and where would they end up. They had a horrible arena deal, the lease was bad, and the arena itself was not up to current NBA standards. And they were losing money in a big way. Nobody came forward to do anything about it, nobody was willing to try to fix things. So the team ended up in another owners hands, and left for another city. That's all it came down to.

I know Seattle had great fan support for many years, but you just can't let things get to the point that they did and expect everything to be okay. It doesn't work that way. Clay Bennett is not a guy that fools around. And neither is Stern. Nobody was bluffing, and hopefully this will send a message to other cities who take their teams for granted. Don't do it, becuz money talks, and there's always another city, whether large or small that wants a team and is willing to shell out the money to get one. And the league will reward those that put in hard work to get one, and punish those that act with a smug attitude. That's the harsh reality of it all.

StayOutOfTrees
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Coffee, Drugs and Grunge music > basketball maybe? I dunno. Too cool for sports. Wasn't the in thing at the time?

dsickich123
07-12-2010, 11:25 PM

Seattle not want a team? You must be out your damn mind...

I live in Seattle and have my whole life, The City (including I) were completley crushed when this team left...and have tried to get it back, doing any and everything possible to attempt this...

We were screwed sideways by Starbucks, The Government of WA, and a man who now owns the OKC Thunder whos name I cannot even type without crying...

GET INFORMED BEFORE YOU PUT DOWN A WHOLE CITY.

JWO35
07-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm just curious, do they broadcast Thunder games in Seattle? Like on a regular basis...

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm just curious, do they broadcast Thunder games in Seattle? Like on a regular basis...

That would be interesting to know.

ajsulli1919
07-12-2010, 11:53 PM
This is a little off topic but it's the weirdest thing. I was born in Seattle and lived 2/3 of my life in various parts of Washington. (I'm 21 now.) I was a Sonic fan until I was 10 or 11 maybe. I've been to the Key Arena and it wasn't a dump or anything but I was so young then so I don't remember a whole lot. My family ended up moving to Oklahoma and I'm only about 25 minutes away from the Ford Center. I ended up becoming a die hard Laker fan about 3 years before we moved to Oklahoma. I remember the franchise moving here and just thought it was the most ironic thing ever. Oklahoma had never had a pro sports team and I just thought to myself, "why on earth are they moving here?" I got to catch games 3 and 4 of the first round playoff series between the Thunder and the Lakers. I wore my Kobe Bryant jersey shirt and got a lot of crap for it, especially when the Lakers lost, there weren't very many Lakers fans at the game. I would definitely say the Ford Center is the loudest arena I've been in and the Thunder have very loyal fans. Sorry for the off topic post but I've been reading material on this site for a long time, just recently became a member (the night of the one hour LeBron special) and have never seen a post regarding anything to do with the Seattle Supersonics. It's a shame Seattle doesn't have a team anymore, I plan to move back there when I can someday. It's beautiful there, Oklahoma, not so much.

ink
07-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Why do you assume they didn't want a team? And why do you take the NBA's version of what happened in Seattle?

Stern wanted to reward OKC with a franchise and an Oklahoman bought the Sonics so he let him move that franchise as a reward for their support of the NO franchise.

Anyone who follows the NBA should know that. If the NBA makes a statement in a press release it's always a good idea to find out what the other side of the story is.

In this case, the franchise was stolen away from Seattle fans who wanted the team, and there were lots of them.

jackdawson
07-13-2010, 12:12 AM
:facepalm: to JB for not knowing the recent history.

SANDBURG23
07-13-2010, 12:15 AM
They wanted there team. The group from OKC that bought them always had the intention of moving them. Legally speaking Thunder are an expansion team if Seattle gets another team. If they get a team then name and history all goes to them and Thunder can't use 1 bit of it.

Durant did play a year in SEA

Punkindrublic03
07-13-2010, 12:27 AM

How in the **** are you a nba mod.

Watch sonicsgate, follow the link in my sig.

Shame on you for being so ignorant and starting this thread.

Geargo Wallace
07-13-2010, 12:27 AM
when I saw the title I knew JB wrote it. Did anyone else get the same vibe?

Vikes_Fan04
07-13-2010, 12:30 AM
From what I remember, Kevin Durant did not want to leave Seattle either. Especially after already being settled in his first year.

Punkindrublic03
07-13-2010, 12:32 AM

No ****ing way are okc games broadcast in Seattle.

ccg34
07-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Does anyone here knows about any of NBA teams on sale right now? I think the Clippers would be a perfect fit for Seattle. Blake Griffin would be the next Shawn Kemp.

KingOf215
07-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Not that this is ANY justification, but despite being the most successful Seattle franchise, the Sonics were always last place in terms of fans. All the love in that city goes to the Mariners and the Seahawks.

RaptorsFanatic
07-13-2010, 12:50 AM
OKC is better anyways lol, baiting? LMAO.

ccg34
07-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Seattle is a basketball town. Seattle produced B. Roy, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, Jason Terry, Marvin Williams, and Rodney Stuckey. Seattle deserves an NBA team.

heathonater
07-13-2010, 12:56 AM
the fact that david stern made seattle build a new arena after that city already had built two brand new stadiums in the last decade led to seattle losing their team. their fans would have supported that team, it was just greed and business that got in the way.

Ty Fast
07-13-2010, 01:00 AM
they should still be in seattle. there are a bunch of teams that should have moved before they did

Punkindrublic03
07-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Someone please close this thread already...

The stupidest ****ing thread in the history of PSD.

http://sonicsgate.org

ntat
07-13-2010, 01:54 AM

Thank you Dereke

Sintex Error
07-13-2010, 01:57 AM
Im from Texas, love Durant, but loathe Oklahoma, was a Supersonic Durant jersey ever made?

Bus035
07-13-2010, 02:01 AM
Not that this is ANY justification, but despite being the most successful Seattle franchise, the Sonics were always last place in terms of fans. All the love in that city goes to the Mariners and the Seahawks.

I agree with you that all of the advertising money from local businesses went to the Mariners and Seahawks so the Sonics were last place in fiscal terms. However, you are completely wrong about fan loyalty....people in Washington loved their Sonics....stemming back to the Sikma, Freddy Brown, Gus Williams, and Lenny Wilkens days. Furthermore, Washington is a basketball state...especially the "206." We have one of the best AAU programs in the country and those kids were influenced by players like Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton. One day we will get a franchise back.....I just hope its before we get a ****ing NHL team!

PatelJ1010
07-13-2010, 02:10 AM
I hope the Seattle Supersonics come back...We need to add 2 more NBA teams Seattle & Las Vegas...OKC can go to the East and both these would go to Northwest and Pacific...Everythings works in Standings soo no one is getting an unfair advantage...But KD is not responsible for the Sonics franchise pick he was just the best player available during the draft time

The Raven
07-13-2010, 06:52 AM
I thought it was pure BS what happened. They never even deserved to see their team uprooted and moved to a new city

magichatnumber9
07-13-2010, 07:23 AM
To me it's one of the biggest tragedies in sports history.

JordansBulls
07-13-2010, 08:19 AM

Thanks.

OUfan4life15
07-13-2010, 07:41 PM
As a Thunder fan, I'm glad we got so lucky to get a team on the rise. I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life, and I always wanted an NBA team, so I was glad we got one. Having said that, I feel sorry for Seattle fans I really do, but wasn't their attendance among the worst in the league? That's what I remember anyway, could be wrong. You can still root for the Thunder, as it looks like some of you do, I know it's not the same, but still.

ccg34
07-13-2010, 11:51 PM
The attendance went down because Clay Bennett got rid of Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. Imagine if KD, Ray Ray, and Rashard Lewis was on the same team. Seattle would be a top 3 seed every year.

Fireworld
07-14-2010, 12:03 AM
It happens.

soonabooma
07-14-2010, 01:00 AM
It's hilarious when people act like they feel sorry for Seattle like they were some kind of victim. Trust me, the only thing they were a victim of was themselves. It was not a screwjob. They had every opportunity in the world to make sure things worked out in their favor. But they didn't act. They weren't willing to step up and do what they needed to do. They did NOTHING, and as a result, they got what the little boy shot at. Don't doubt it for a minute.

:bs:

jimbobjarree
07-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Im from Texas, love Durant, but loathe Oklahoma, was a Supersonic Durant jersey ever made?

good point, I'd get me a Durant Sonics jersey

Klivlend
07-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Seattle is a basketball town. Seattle produced B. Roy, Jamal Crawford, Nate Robinson, Jason Terry, Marvin Williams, and Rodney Stuckey. Seattle deserves an NBA team.

Don't forget about Doug Christie, Marcus Williams and Aaron Brooks