PDA

View Full Version : Mavs owner: Nba should look into how big 3 ended up with heat

Shark
07-12-2010, 12:56 AM
LAS VEGAS -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban says the NBA should examine how free agents LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade all ended up with the Miami Heat.

Cuban tells a group of reporters at the NBA's summer league in Las Vegas that he intends to ask the league's Board of Governors to inquire about the situation.

According to a story posted on the Cleveland Plain Dealer's website Sunday, Cuban says the league needs to develop more definitive rules governing the issue of player tampering.

NBA owners are scheduled to meet Monday in Las Vegas.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=327364

I am actually glad at least one owner has brought this up. I am done caring but it SHOULD be examined.

TheGsw
07-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Who cares.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-12-2010, 12:57 AM
im sure it was watched the whole time, are you serious? if anyone would know that they were watching everyone closely, its mark cuban's queer ***, who was dumb enough to go get fined $100,000 or whatever for saying what he did, n kerr got fined too, no? looks like they woulda known if something was shady.... and the players can talk between themselves all they want.... no one even knew they were gonna go to the heat bro..

Avenged
07-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Lets move on. It happened already and nothing will change that.

jiggin
07-12-2010, 12:59 AM
good. cuban is a very very smart business man. it won't change the current situation but he has a point in reviewing the laws governing these types of situations and that they probably need revisited and updated to protect ownership groups. After all...its a business first, entertainment second.

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 12:59 AM
I dont see the problem? Three guys wanted to play together. It was possible in Miami so it happened! EACH GUY TOOK less money!!!! There is nothing to be said.

Cuban of all ppl who acquired 3 allstars (Kidd/Butler/Marion) and a goo d player in Haywood cause teams were trying to save up for this summer. He just mad it didnt work out for him.

jiggin
07-12-2010, 01:00 AM

because if nothing is looked into it will keep happening.

you don't look into it to reverse anything that has already happened, but to prevent any shenanigan from happening again.

prash
07-12-2010, 01:01 AM
I agree. This needs to be investigated. Rules need to be clarified. After reading that article I'd like to see an investigation.

jiggin
07-12-2010, 01:02 AM
I dont see the problem? Three guys wanted to play together. It was possible in Miami so it happened! EACH GUY TOOK less money!!!! There is nothing to be said.

Cuban of all ppl who acquired 3 allstars (Kidd/Butler/Marion) and a goo d player in Haywood cause teams were trying to save up for this summer. He just mad it didnt work out for him.

no one but wade took less money. thus why sign and trades had to happen so the contracts could be max contracts. They are back loaded...thus why it appears that they are saving money the first year.

PS - because there is no income tax in florida, lebron saved about 15 million dollars by getting his paycheck from the heat. Bosh saved even more because he no longer has to pay providence taxes which are higher than state taxes.

Young2Kinsler
07-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Careful Mark! You will get fined for questioning the league while illegal tampering is going on!

camador22
07-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Cuban was the one who broke the rules not Miami. Players could play wherever they fell like playing. If Wade, Lebron and Bosh had a wet dream about playing with each other then there's nothing wrong with that. No Heat executive made an attemot to contact Lebron or Bosh before July 1st. Time to move on

29$JerZ
07-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Glad he said something unlike everyone else but its pointless. Even if they did violate tampering rules they will clearly deny it and I doubt Stern will let anything happen to them.

THE MTL
no one but wade took less money. thus why sign and trades had to happen so the contracts could be max contracts. They are back loaded...thus why it appears that they are saving money the first year.

PS - because there is no income tax in florida, lebron saved about 15 million dollars by getting his paycheck from the heat. Bosh saved even more because he no longer has to pay providence taxes which are higher than state taxes.

Lebron and Bosh did take less money. They could have an additional 10-15 million dollars added onto the contract they took.

NBA does something for Canadian players to make up for the providence tax...someone mentioned it a while ago on the forum actually.

ldc62

you don't look into it to reverse anything that has already happened, but to prevent any shenanigan from happening again.

Whens the last time something like this happened?

Avenged
07-12-2010, 01:06 AM

As much as I hate what transpired out in Miami, I don't think it was anything illegal.

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Glad he said something unlike everyone else but its pointless. Even if they did violate tampering rules they will clearly deny it and I doubt Stern will let anything happen to them.

I look at like this. Lebron's "The Decision" was watched by 10 million viewers! Can u imagine that kind of bank? Lebron is like an ATM for Stern.

hugepatsfan
It was obviously tampering. Ru Paul even admitted it at the pep rally. But let's not be haters. It's not the only time player tampering has occured. You don't think KG called his friend Rasheed Wallace before FA started last year. That's the only example I can think of right now where suspission is obvious, but I'm sure there are more. This is no different. People just care because it's involving 2 superstars and 1 all star.

MaHaRaJaH
Does this mean an investigation has to happen now that an owner has come forward?

cmellofan15
07-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Cuban's pissed because he got charged for tampering and had no chance of even getting LeBron

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Cuban was the one who broke the rules not Miami. Players could play wherever they fell like playing. If Wade, Lebron and Bosh had a wet dream about playing with each other then there's nothing wrong with that. No Heat executive made an attemot to contact Lebron or Bosh before July 1st. Time to move on

Then how were the meeitngs set up in advance. And this goes for all the teams, not just MIA. Tampering happens on pretty much every signing (if I had to guess). But it's too hard to prove.

jiggin
07-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I look at like this. Lebron's "The Decision" was watched by 10 million viewers! Can u imagine that kind of bank? Lebron is like an ATM for Stern.

i don't believe the NBA made much off that. LBJ made 9 million off of it. He gave 2 million to the boys and girls club, even though according to him the entire thing was for the boys and girls club. Hmmm....:rolleyes:

ESPN made a shitload on it...

krest213
they take the Plane i think..

LayZbone
Does this mean an investigation has to happen now that an owner has come forward?

If the Raptors or Cavs ask for one, then an investigation will take place. But reports say they likely won't ask.

Shark
07-12-2010, 01:11 AM
It was obviously tampering. Ru Paul even admitted it at the pep rally. But let's not be haters. It's not the only time player tampering has occured. You don't think KG called his friend Rasheed Wallace before FA started last year. That's the only example I can think of right now where suspission is obvious, but I'm sure there are more. This is no different. People just care because it's involving 2 superstars and 1 all star.

Love the sig.

I have no problem with players contacting other players during free agency, its all cool.... i mean Halladay recruited Burnett to the Jays years ago, its popular... The question at hand is that these guys have been talking about it much longer then Free Agency, Wade didnt go out during free agency and say "yo come here Miami is cool" Wade did his own thing too, but at the end of the day, all 3 sat together and made the decision together.

MaHaRaJaH
07-12-2010, 01:15 AM
If the Raptors or Cavs ask for one, then an investigation will take place. But reports say they likely won't ask.

Damnation!
.... No Offense :p

Ebbs
07-12-2010, 01:16 AM
I love Cuban l;ol

Raps18-19 Champ
07-12-2010, 01:18 AM
What does he want?

3 top 15 aren't allowed to join 1 team a team.

mynameismo

This.

Kobe's Disciple
Who cares.

So you don't care about players, teams, and upper management breaking the rules and doing illegal things? :facepalm:

jackdawson
07-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Oh well! It's Mark Cuban and his ****ing :cry:

LA_Raiders
Cuban is an ***, but he has balls... He should let the 3 cowards alone....

hugepatsfan
Love the sig.

I have no problem with players contacting other players during free agency, its all cool.... i mean Halladay recruited Burnett to the Jays years ago, its popular... The question at hand is that these guys have been talking about it much longer then Free Agency, Wade didnt go out during free agency and say "yo come here Miami is cool" Wade did his own thing too, but at the end of the day, all 3 sat together and made the decision together.

Bosh said they've been talking about if for months. You know what was happening months ago - a BOS - CLE series. I think it's immoral for players to do that. I don't see how anyone could argue that it's good for the NBA. I even challenge one of these Heat groupies to try that one.

But how do you prove this. Bosh can just say that he meant right after LBJ finsished choki.. I mean playing against BOS. There's nothing the NBA can do about it. So anyone complaing about it in the context of the MIA team is just scared of the Heat. That's why you hear teams like ORL and DAL saying this. Teams that have championship pedigree, and therefore are not scared of anyone, like BOS and LA have expressed nothing but confidence in what they themselves are doing to get better.

Kobe's Disciple
07-12-2010, 01:23 AM

No different?

Wade, Bosh, and LeBron had meetings in Cleveland when all 3 guys were still under contract with their teams and Pat Riley had conversations with LeBron during the season. Setting up meetings with players not on your team is against the rules and the NBA considers it tampering.

More-Than-Most
07-12-2010, 01:24 AM
They didn't take as much less money if at all as people are letting on to believe... was on tv tonight... Miami has no tax or something like that when it comes to their contracts.

Do0msday
07-12-2010, 01:26 AM
The reason there should be an inquiry is because it cost teams money. Think about this. Every team put on a horse and pony show for these free agents. They used this free agency to get their name out there, get publicity, etc. The teams in the running for them met with them, wined and dined some of them, had research studies done in order to try to lure them. Yet in the end they already knew where they wanted to go and had made up their minds. Therefore they basically used teams and had them waste money for nothing.

Collusion should definitely apply to the players. If owners got together and decided who they wouldn't sign ... the players would be in an absolute uproar. It's not a 1 way street. The 'big 3' used other teams for their own gain without any chance of them going to them because they already decided. I realize teams put on a circus for the players in order to woe them, but that's because they believe they actually have a chance at getting them. If Lebron and the others said "we're going to Miami" straight away then none of the teams would have bothered to set up the meetings or dump all of the players from their teams. These players made some teams screw up their rosters in order to make room -- without any chance of them actually going there.

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 01:26 AM
No different?

Wade, Bosh, and LeBron had meetings in Cleveland when all 3 guys were still under contract with their teams and Pat Riley had conversations with LeBron during the season. Setting up meetings with players not on your team is against the rules and the NBA considers it tampering.

How do you prove they talked about FA and joining forces? And Pat and LBJ can just deny the conversations. MY point isn't that tampering didn't happen - it's that there is no way to find concrete evidence. So why waste time whining about it?

justinnum1
07-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Cuban is just butt hurt he wasn't able to get any of the big 3.

MaHaRaJaH
07-12-2010, 01:28 AM
This.

So you don't care about players, teams, and upper management breaking the rules and doing illegal things? :facepalm:

^ He's right. You think they wont set the bar higher when the next borderline illegal move happens.

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 01:32 AM
No one has explained how to prove this. That's why whining about it is stupid. Don't ***** about problems unless you have a solution.

MaHaRaJaH
07-12-2010, 01:34 AM
No one has explained how to prove this. That's why whining about it is stupid. Don't ***** about problems unless you have a solution.

You're right, they probably cannot and won't prove it.
It's legal long as nobody sees it right :shrug:

Storch
07-12-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm sure that even a million dollar fine for tampering is no biggie for the heat because at the end of the day ... they still have the big three to make them millions.

mynameismo
07-12-2010, 01:43 AM
What's illegal about signing 3 Stars? It was a mutual agreement with the Team and the Players. It's not like they forced the 3 to sign with them. They offered, the players made the DECISIONS.

If you got proof then prove it. The 3 is in Miami, MOVE ON!! ..The best thing to do is BEAT THEM not WHINE about it.

nickdymez
07-12-2010, 01:45 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=327364

I am actually glad at least one owner has brought this up. I am done caring but it SHOULD be examined.

What took so long for this to happen? Was listening to the radio earlier, and they were sayin how Lebron met with riles like 9 months ago... smh

khalil72
07-12-2010, 01:45 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry:WAH!!!!

Derick713
07-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Someone should ask why the Grizzlies where allowed to dump Pau Gasol for absolutely nothing.

In all seriousness I can't believe that James, Wade and Bosh thought they would play together. It just so happened that the Heat went all in and Wade, James, and Bosh knew they needed each other to beat the Lakers, Celtics, and Magic. James needs someone to carry the offense when Artest and Bryant are guarding him. James needed a Power Forward that could match-up with Kevin Garnett and Pau Gasol.

nickdymez
07-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Someone should ask why the Grizzlies where allowed to dump Pau Gasol for absolutely nothing.

In all seriousness I can't believe that James, Wade and Bosh thought they would play together. It just so happened that the Heat went all in and Wade, James, and Bosh knew they needed each other to beat the Lakers, Celtics, and Magic. James needs someone to carry the offense when Artest and Bryant are guarding him. James needed a Power Forward that could match-up with Kevin Garnett and Pau Gasol.

Dump pau for nothing? They were trying to re-build and needed cap space. So they dumped there highest paid player for expiring contracts.. And guess what??? Marc gasol is avg. a double double... Awesome huh?

shizzle09
07-12-2010, 01:52 AM
For his next move I'd suggest LeBron hire Kobe Bryant's publicity people, because it's astounding how the perception of Bryant has completely flipped. In 2004 he was viewed as selfish because he wanted the team to himself without Shaquille O'Neal or Phil Jackson around to steal credit, and in 2006 he was called a quitter because he demanded to be traded from a team that couldn't get past the first round of the playoffs. Now Kobe is the standard to which LeBron is held, with people saying Kobe would never go someplace he wasn't automatically considered the best player and that he would rather stick it out with the players he has.

What changed? Pau Gasol came to Los Angeles and helped Kobe win two more championships. So that's the mandate for the Heat. If they pull this off and have actual justification the next time they throw a huge party, they'll be called winners.

In the meantime, if this whole thing feels sordid to you, you're not required to use complimentary descriptions. Just be sure you get your facts straight and don't use any tampering-type terminology that doesn't really apply.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=lebronissue-100711

khalil72
07-12-2010, 02:03 AM
Wow the ignorance or should I say jealousy continues. Your points are completely baseless. The last three NBA championships were won by two teams that did something pretty close to this formula. Boston was able to trade for Seattle’s superstar in Allen and Minnesota’s superstar in Garnett. Plus a bunch of vets signed on for less money to play for a ring. Nothing said about that. Then the Lakers traded for Memphis' superstar in Gasol for Kwame Brown..Nothing really said about that. Did Kobe take the easy way out this year by having Odom and Artest sign for less money than they could have got from other teams to win a ring? The Spurs won the championship before that, sweeping the Cavs by the way, San Antonio is known for drafting really well, but how many vets have come there for less in order to win a ring. How about Cuban and Dirk....have you noticed the players Cuban has signed or traded for each year? Is Dirk trying to take the easy way out?? Steve Nash....he's had Stat, Hill, Jefferson all superstars at one point..is Nash taking the easy way out? Miami by no way took an easy way out....Riley put a lot on the line to make this happen. Including enduring a loosing season and two first round exits with a superstar like Wade. Wade could have and almost did walk away and Miami would have had nothing. There was a lot of sacrifice by this organization and these players to make this happen. Something that should be recognized as selfless instead of an easy way out. I've been a Heat fan for a very long time and have watched all these other teams make moves that made themselves better and win championships. We are able to make some good moves and now we are taking the easy way out. I can't wait for it to get rolling because all you haters are going to turn into fans just the same way you all did when Kobe started winning without Shaq. STOP HATING.... By the way is there a Yankee fan in here complaining about all the stars going to one team??? Look in the mirror.:eyebrow:

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Wow the ignorance or should I say jealousy continues. Your points are completely baseless. The last three NBA championships were won by two teams that did something pretty close to this formula. Boston was able to trade for Seattle’s superstar in Allen and Minnesota’s superstar in Garnett. Plus a bunch of vets signed on for less money to play for a ring. Nothing said about that. Then the Lakers traded for Memphis' superstar in Gasol for Kwame Brown..Nothing really said about that. Did Kobe take the easy way out this year by having Odom and Artest sign for less money than they could have got from other teams to win a ring? The Spurs won the championship before that, sweeping the Cavs by the way, San Antonio is known for drafting really well, but how many vets have come there for less in order to win a ring. How about Cuban and Dirk....have you noticed the players Cuban has signed or traded for each year? Is Dirk trying to take the easy way out?? Steve Nash....he's had Stat, Hill, Jefferson all superstars at one point..is Nash taking the easy way out? Miami by no way took an easy way out....Riley put a lot on the line to make this happen. Including enduring a loosing season and two first round exits with a superstar like Wade. Wade could have and almost did walk away and Miami would have had nothing. There was a lot of sacrifice by this organization and these players to make this happen. Something that should be recognized as selfless instead of an easy way out. I've been a Heat fan for a very long time and have watched all these other teams make moves that made themselves better and win championships. We are able to make some good moves and now we are taking the easy way out. I can't wait for it to get rolling because all you haters are going to turn into fans just the same way you all did when Kobe started winning without Shaq. STOP HATING.... By the way is there a Yankee fan in here complaining about all the stars going to one team??? Look in the mirror.:eyebrow:

No one is saying the Heat took the easy way out. People are saying the players (not the organ-I-zation) took the easy way out. And when you type your response to this pot, for the love of my eyes, please use paragraphs. lol

Twolves88
07-12-2010, 02:11 AM
This is really damn near impossible to monitor. Players are friends with one another and could joke around about joining each other in X city.... its pretty much impossible to track...

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 02:12 AM
This is really damn near impossible to monitor. Players are friends with one another and could joke around about joining each other in X city.... its pretty much impossible to track...

This. That's why it's all useless whining by Cuban.

FOBolous
07-12-2010, 10:20 AM
awww...Cuban's mad lol if i was the Heat, i would take this as a compliment because Cuban's scared.

_Supreme_
07-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Dump pau for nothing? They were trying to re-build and needed cap space. So they dumped there highest paid player for expiring contracts.. And guess what??? Marc gasol is avg. a double double... Awesome huh?

They needed cap space for what, to aquire Zach Randolph and his rediculous contract not so much later? That completely threw their previous reasoning out of the window and made it look even more fishy.

And Marc Gasol turning out like he did was just luck. When they traded for him he was just a contract filler who might maybe turn out worthwhile.

The whole Pau Gasol debacle was much more suspicious than anything that happened this offseason.

Ray_R
07-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Well i get nothing out of it. :sigh:

RCarlson85
07-12-2010, 11:15 AM

That's the real issue here. Why can't free agents talk to each other?

jrodmesche
07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Cubans a ****ing *** he has no credability nobody likes him but mavs fans

DaBUU
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I dont understand what the issue is, they all became free agents at the same time and picked one team they all wanted to play on. The only reason anyone is bitter is because they arent playing on our team, Cuban and the Mavs included. Everyone needs to start getting over this and stop being afraid of them being on one team.