PDA

View Full Version : Joe Johnson should have waited to sign his contract

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Once Lebron was taken up, I'm quite sure teams like New Jersey, Chicago, and New York would probably have offered Joe Johnson a max contract right away.

Joe Johnson had been saying how much he did not want to stay in Atlanta but them giving him a max is what made him stay.

Your thoughts on the situation. Would those other teams had given Joe Johnson a max once Lebron was off the market?

pheagles10
07-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Atlanta was the only team that could offer him that extra $30 million without a sign and trade occurring.

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Once Lebron was taken up, I'm quite sure teams like New Jersey, Chicago, and New York would probably have offered Joe Johnson a max contract right away.

Joe Johnson had been saying how much he did not want to stay in Atlanta but them giving him a max is what made him stay.

Your thoughts on the situation. Would those other teams had given Joe Johnson a max once Lebron was off the market?

Ok, its no secret how much I dislike Bulls. But JordansBulls ur actually one of the few good ones...but why did u make a thread like this? You are BETTER than this. smh...bulls fans

Anyway, ATL has this thing called Bird Rights on Joe Johnson where they can resign him for 6years and give him max raises of 10%. Other teams can only give Joe Johnson 5yrs and max raises at 8%. ATL gave Joe Johnson the FULL MAX which is more than NJ/Chi/NYC could have given him.

NYC actually did offer Johnson 5yrs 96 million which is the MAX we could have given him.

PS- 44 months at 43,570 POSTS!!!! My god! That an average of 30 posts per day!!!!!

brandonwarne52
07-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Yeah LOL I was going to say couldn't they offer him more than anyone....

ayuntalo
07-12-2010, 12:40 AM
i think ny would..
glad he stayed in atlanta, i dont see heart in him..
he is purely a perimeter player

ATL-ALL-DAY
07-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Joe Johnson shoulda broke his face again then we wouldn't want his *** anymore

Avenged
07-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Rose/Joe Johnson/Boozer could've been great.

Don't know if the Bulls could afford it but either way, would have been impressive.

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Ok, its no secret how much I dislike Bulls. But JordansBulls ur actually one of the few good ones...but why did u make a thread like this? You are BETTER than this. smh...bulls fans

Anyway, ATL has this thing called Bird Rights on Joe Johnson where they can resign him for 6years and give him max raises of 10%. Other teams can only give Joe Johnson 5yrs and max raises at 8%. ATL gave Joe Johnson the FULL MAX which is more than NJ/Chi/NYC could have given him.

NYC actually did offer Johnson 5yrs 96 million which is the MAX we could have given him.

PS- 44 months at 43,570 POSTS!!!! My god! That an average of 30 posts per day!!!!!

The reason I brought this up is because of the turmoil regarding him. He was caught saying he did not like Atlanta and the environment.

BronBron06
07-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Oh well Joe's gonna have a life in NBA of mediocrity

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I personally think that Boozer should have waited to sign! He didnt get anywhere near his max. Now, 5yr 75-80 million is still overpaying for the guy but not by much though.

I think he could have gotten close to 90 million if he would he let New Jersey and Chicago go through a bidding war for his services.

nickdymez
07-12-2010, 12:49 AM
The reason I brought this up is because of the turmoil regarding him. He was caught saying he did not like Atlanta and the environment.

Yea but he likes 30 million extra dollars.

bholly
07-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Didn't he say he wanted to stay in Atlanta? They've been good to him there, maybe he just showed some of the loyalty that people criticized LBJ for not showing.

That and the extra year is important at his age.

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 12:50 AM

For 30 million dollars I would just suck it up! Johnson will make like 25 million dollars during his last year of his contract when he is 35! I bet Johnson wont even be worth 10 million when he is 35. That extra year is big!

HouRealCoach
07-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Its clear JJ doesnt care about winning... H's gonna be pissed once he gets his *** kicked by Miami... HE shouldve went to Chicago but then again now there is no one in the backcourt that can be a playmaker and Rose have people to stretch the floor and he is gonna beast this year, Hopefully he stays healthy

THE MTL
07-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Its clear JJ doesnt care about winning... H's gonna be pissed once he gets his *** kicked by Miami... HE shouldve went to Chicago but then again now there is no one in the backcourt that can be a playmaker and Rose have people to stretch the floor and he is gonna beast this year, Hopefully he stays healthy

Well, its REALLY hard when someone throws an additional 30 million dollars in your face. 30 million is 30 million NO MATTER how u look at it. Thats 30% more than what Chicago could have offered. And I doubt Chi would have given him a max deal anyway.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Rose/Joe Johnson/Boozer could've been great.

Don't know if the Bulls could afford it but either way, would have been impressive.

true.. rose made it work with far less.... both a shooter like johnson and an offensive big man option would be sick..

YourTeamSucks
07-12-2010, 01:10 AM

Actually its 32.80

mRc08
07-12-2010, 01:11 AM
well people, yes, atl could give him the extra money, BUT.... if he waited and decided he was going to any other team, a sign and trade could have been worked out, giving him the extra money, and giving atl a player in return.

LA_Raiders
07-12-2010, 01:25 AM
That dude cashed in...$$$...

And Atl has a good team with a new coach, they are very close to contend if they can get a C....

LA_Raiders
07-12-2010, 01:25 AM
^and a PG

mynameismo
07-12-2010, 01:30 AM
Yeah, JJ and Booz + Young Chicago core could've been great.
Boozer and Rose Pick and roll with JJ spotting up on 3. Too bad JJ looked like $$$$

*Silver&Black*
07-12-2010, 01:38 AM
That dude cashed in...$$$...

And Atl has a good team with a new coach, they are very close to contend if they can get a C....

This. I don't understand the people saying Joe cashed in. Yes he did, but other teams would of gave Max as well, only we have an extra year. But last I check, ATL is better right now than the Bulls, Knicks, and Nets. You can't say anything against that while not being a homer. Stats and standings is what we should go off of. Until the teams play again, Hawks is better. So he went back to the better team and it's core has been together for years.

nickdymez
07-12-2010, 01:43 AM

So your saying that Atlanta doesn't have a good young team?

Twolves88
07-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Johnson has always been more about money then winning. He pulled the same crap with the suns. Remember when they had that stacked team and he forced a trade because he wanted to be the man and make more money?

hugepatsfan
07-12-2010, 02:19 AM
I wanted JJ on the Bulls.

Wade/Bosh - MIA
Booz/JJ - CHI
Amare/LBJ - NYK

That's what I wanted. You combine those 3 teams w/ a solid MIL team and proven contenders like BOS and ORL - the East playoffs would have been an amazing thing to witness.

Tony_Starks
07-12-2010, 03:46 AM
Joe did the smart thing. It was good for him and good for ATL. Now they're looking at Shaq and also possibly a Mo Williams deal so their summer is far from over.

I don't see why this move was criticized, since when did re-signing a max deal with a 50+ win playoff team become a bad thing?

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Joe did the smart thing. It was good for him and good for ATL. Now they're looking at Shaq and also possibly a Mo Williams deal so their summer is far from over.

I don't see why this move was criticized, since when did re-signing a max deal with a 50+ win playoff team become a bad thing?

I think they should go after Josh Howard and put him at SF.

S-Dot
07-12-2010, 08:43 AM
He could have waited on the Bulls but who knows if the situation would have played out the same if he waited. ATL still needs to make some moves though.

chris34
07-12-2010, 09:25 AM
This. I don't understand the people saying Joe cashed in. Yes he did, but other teams would of gave Max as well, only we have an extra year. But last I check, ATL is better right now than the Bulls, Knicks, and Nets. You can't say anything against that while not being a homer. Stats and standings is what we should go off of. Until the teams play again, Hawks is better. So he went back to the better team and it's core has been together for years.

You are kidding right? Yes they finished better than them last year but I would find it hard to believe that ANY experts or even casual fans would not see the Bulls as a stronger finisher in the east in 2010-11.

xbrackattackx
07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I like JJ in ATL.

CubsFanBudMan#1
07-12-2010, 09:46 AM
I don't even think the extra 30 mil is in issue anymore. We've all seen that when a player agrees to sign with another team his former team would rather trade him to get something back. Miami has proven that.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I personally think that Boozer should have waited to sign! He didnt get anywhere near his max. Now, 5yr 75-80 million is still overpaying for the guy but not by much though.

I think he could have gotten close to 90 million if he would he let New Jersey and Chicago go through a bidding war for his services.

He went to CHI because he wanted to win. No bidding was was necessary.

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 12:20 PM
He went to CHI because he wanted to win. No bidding was was necessary.

Also he likes Chicago better as a city.

Sixerlover
07-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't blame him for taking an extra 30 million. I would have jumped at that offer as opposed to waiting as well. What if they realized WTF they were doing and took it off the table?

roshan3ai
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
He can get 30 million more and a sixth year with Atlanta. Money is obviously all he cared about and Atlanta could offer him the most.

phoenix_bladen
07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Atlanta was the only team that could offer him that extra $30 million without a sign and trade occurring.

hmmm interesting.... i'm wondering if teams like new jersey would have been desparate to give him the max via sign and trade

either way the hawks screwed themselves over with this one.......

NYtilIdie
07-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Didn't we sweep you guys in our season series? I remember one game specifically where Nate dropped 41.

*Silver&Black*
07-12-2010, 02:37 PM
You are kidding right? Yes they finished better than them last year but I would find it hard to believe that ANY experts or even casual fans would not see the Bulls as a stronger finisher in the east in 2010-11.

Who are "experts"? The same people on T.V. who says a team will be good and doesn't even make the playoffs? Please. I don't care who the Bulls have now. They haven't played one game together and you're saying they are better than the #3 east team a couple months ago.

*Silver&Black*
07-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Didn't we sweep you guys in our season series? I remember one game specifically where Nate dropped 41.

Did you guys even make the playoffs?:rolleyes: And tell me you would take your line-up over JJ/Josh/Al/Jamal/Bibby/Marvin? We are even trying to trade for Mo Williams and Shaq. So if you add them to our team, you would still take your awesome Knicks?

Allstar21
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I feel bad for Hawks fans. They really had no options this free agency other than WAY overpaying JJ. I just can't forget his playoff performance. I don't know how this team is planning on improving unless they really think Smith/Horford/Williams haven't reached their peak yet.

I don't remember if ATL was willing to sign and trade JJ. Does anyone remember the ATL organization coming out and saying that if JJ didn't resign they would be willing to S&T?

Allstar21
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Did you guys even make the playoffs?:rolleyes: And tell me you would take your line-up over JJ/Josh/Al/Jamal/Bibby/Marvin? We are even trying to trade for Mo Williams and Shaq. So if you add them to our team, you would still take your awesome Knicks?

Really Mo williams!? There are barely enough shots to go around already on that team...and you want to add Mo Williams...who isn't all that great of a passer. :mad:

Dallas Tx4Life
07-12-2010, 02:57 PM
yea why would anyone want mo williams??? i mean... i guess id take him on the pacers... and thats sad..

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I feel bad for Hawks fans. They really had no options this free agency other than WAY overpaying JJ. I just can't forget his playoff performance. I don't know how this team is planning on improving unless they really think Smith/Horford/Williams haven't reached their peak yet.

I don't remember if ATL was willing to sign and trade JJ. Does anyone remember the ATL organization coming out and saying that if JJ didn't resign they would be willing to S&T?

Could they go for Josh Howard at SF or Arenas at PG?

fishfan79
07-12-2010, 03:31 PM
could of been a sign and trade to cleveland with the picks from miami for him, or to toronto or chicago etc etc makes sense he would of quickly been swept up

BkOriginalOne
07-12-2010, 03:34 PM
He should have moved on because the Hawks aren't going to get much better than they are.

They insist on Horford being their Center and he needs to play the PF.
They also need a more creative, defensive point guard (Rondo would run the show)

Josh smith is good, but he's not complete enough to solidify them at every position.
All in all, JJ took the money - and will probably be dealt after the Hawks prove to be a 46-50 win team with a first round exit.

*Silver&Black*
07-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Really Mo williams!? There are barely enough shots to go around already on that team...and you want to add Mo Williams...who isn't all that great of a passer. :mad:

Hey, I don't want Mo Williams. Just reporting the rumors. I rather keep Bibby (start Teague and have Bibby for back-up vet), who is kind of the same player as Mo, but more of a team guy. Mo and Joe backcourt would suck for our 2 best players (Josh Smith and Al Horford).

There will be more trades for the Hawks this summer. We gave Childress away for a 2nd round pick and $ (TPE). Joe and the Hawks have said they are looking to improve this team. I don't know if that means Shaq or what, but we will see.

JordansBulls
07-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey, I don't want Mo Williams. Just reporting the rumors. I rather keep Bibby (start Teague and have Bibby for back-up vet), who is kind of the same player as Mo, but more of a team guy. Mo and Joe backcourt would suck for our 2 best players (Josh Smith and Al Horford).

There will be more trades for the Hawks this summer. We gave Childress away for a 2nd round pick and $ (TPE). Joe and the Hawks have said they are looking to improve this team. I don't know if that means Shaq or what, but we will see.

Bibby is getting older, I think Mo helps out much more.