PDA

View Full Version : Who is Ibrahim Jaaber?

KillaInstinct24
07-11-2010, 10:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=5370857

LAS VEGAS -- Meet Ibrahim Jaaber, the latest player on the Los Angeles Lakers' summer league roster who is starting to turn heads in the team's front office as a potential player who can make the team next season.

Jaaber (pronounced Jab-burr), a 6-2, 170-pound guard from the University of Pennsylvania, is averaging a modest 6.5 points, 6.0 assists and 1.5 steals through the Lakers' 0-2 start in Las Vegas (they lost 92-74 to Denver on Saturday) but has made a good first impression.

"He's had a really good 10-day period with us," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said.

Jaaber's NBA dream has been a long time coming after he finished his senior season at Penn by being named the Ivy League Player of the Year in 2007 and heading overseas to play for Lottomatica Roma in the Euroleague.

With the Lakers' guard situation still in flux next season -- with Jordan Farmar expected to sign with a new team and Derek Fisher and Shannon Brown involved in ongoing negotiations with the team -- Jaaber could end up trading his practice jersey for an authentic uniform with sewn purple and gold lettering come October. "He may have an outside shot [to make the team]," said Lakers summer league assistant coach Rasheed Hazzard. "There's a few things that he's going to have to get used to. Playing point guard in this offense is a little different than your traditional point-guard-driven offense. He'll have to get a little more accustomed to getting off the ball and understanding his biggest impact is going to be on the defensive end. He's gambling a little too much, so I'd like to see him not gamble as much as just be solid, you know, like Derek Fisher."

Jaaber has an innate ability to steal the ball, setting an Ivy League career record for steals with 303 in his four years, averaging close to three per game. But Hazzard would like to see traditional, on-ball defense first.

"He definitely has a gift in that area, but to start out, you have to be solid, earn that trust, and then that gift will take over, and it will come out and it will help us," Hazzard said. "Early on, we just need him to be solid, and if he wants to get into training camp, he's going to have to show Mitch and Phil [Jackson] that he can do it the right way and just be simple."

The training camp hopeful explained the art of the steal, saying: "It's a combination of different things. It's not an exact science -- athleticism, foot quickness, anticipation, positioning, and then there's a little bit of talent in it where you can't teach that. It's a lot of awareness at the end of the day."

Still, Jaaber admits he has had to tone down his game to fit in with what the team expects out of him.

"It's a little bit of an adjustment for myself playing a real slow point guard role where I can't be as aggressive as I'm normally asked to be," said Jaaber, who roomed on road trips in Europe with another energetic point guard, Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings, his teammate overseas before coming to the pros. "But at the same time, it gives me an opportunity to show versatility and show that I can organize a team."

The biggest challenge for any player joining the Lakers is learning the triangle offense, but Jaaber has been a quick study.

"It's a read-and-react offense, and I played that when I was in Europe and also a little when I was in college," Jaaber said. "I'm familiar with some of the terminology and the concept behind it. It's just a matter of repetition, and everybody has to actually be on the same page."

One knock on Jaaber has been his shooting. He's 5-for-14 (35.7 percent) from the floor in his first two games in Vegas.

"I think if that shot continues to develop, which it has since he graduated from school, he has a really, really good shot at being a good NBA player," Hazzard said. "Whether or not it's for us remains to be seen, but he has a good shot at being a great point guard for a long time."

Storch
07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
yeah, who IS he

KillaInstinct24
07-11-2010, 10:50 PM
yeah, who IS he

LMAO!!! i know right, im still trying to figure out, but its Laker related so I posted it

Rocco007
07-11-2010, 10:51 PM
He's the best PG on our Summer League team so far for sure...He looks smaller than 6'2" though...He gambles on defense is right...He got floored with an ankle break crossover by Detroit's PG White in the last game...Funny ish......

DolFAN2010
07-11-2010, 10:51 PM
So far he is lookin good

Fireworld
07-12-2010, 01:28 AM
I watched both games and he looked pretty good in my eyes, but I'm no scout. lol
I will watch the remaining 3 games before I make my final judgment. On a scale 0-10, I give him a 5.5 thus far.

kblo247
07-12-2010, 01:40 AM
The guy who is better than Critter by a mile at running the team and attitude wise so far this summer ;). He may have a shot to make it as a 3rd PG along with the 2 rookies because of how cheap the 3 of them would be.

Persons, Buss, and Barry have all praised him.

LA_Raiders
07-12-2010, 02:13 AM
LMAO!!! i know right, im still trying to figure out, but its Laker related so I posted it

nice sig...lol

BigGuy951
07-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Hmmm..Interesting. I'd never heard of him before.

Citanoxeno
07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
So far he is lookin good

Not really. He lacks on shooting and he's not a whiz when it comes to assist turnover ratio. He is a level lower then Farmar.

Vinylman
07-12-2010, 09:15 AM
cmon guys... this dude is terrible...

his name will last be associated with the Lakers in 3 games...

he has ZERO chance of making the team

greek miami hea
07-12-2010, 09:48 AM
jaaber is a very good and solid player.i watched him in the greek league and afterwards in the italian league and in euroleugue.he could be a very solid back up for you guys

kmorton06
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Has he been more impressive than Strawberry in the games?

gr824
07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Has he been more impressive than Strawberry in the games?

Yes ...But that is not saying much ...

gr824
07-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Not really. He lacks on shooting and he's not a whiz when it comes to assist turnover ratio. He is a level lower then Farmar.

You are right that Jaaber apparently cannot shoot, at least not from distance ...

His assist/turnover ratio has been fine in Summer League [ 3/1 ]. Historically, his European numbers do not look as good, but I believe they have different criteria for crediting assists overseas which could be making his stats appear worse to our NBA-conditioned eyes ...

Farmar is a better shooter [ by far ] and probably a much better ballhandler/passer as well. Nevertheless, Jaaber may have more upside as a defender at the point than does Jordan and defense is what the Lakers really need there the way the team is shaping up for 2010-2011 ...

Jaaber has not done enough for a camp invitation thus far [ none of the guards in Summer League have ]. But he has three more games in which to turn that around ...

ShadowX
07-12-2010, 04:13 PM
He gots some sick skillz! He ranks right next to Sun Yue.

CLASSOF72
07-12-2010, 04:21 PM
He gots some sick skillz! He ranks right next to Sun Yue.

Who?

New Power House
07-12-2010, 11:27 PM
jaaber is a very good and solid player.i watched him in the greek league and afterwards in the italian league and in euroleugue.he could be a very solid back up for you guys

We will give him to you guys. We have Fisher back!:facepalm:

Margie
07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Boy is not NBA player.

The Raven
07-13-2010, 01:06 PM
He's looked decent from what i have seen. Its a long shot though he makes it. A very long one

I Luv Pu$$y
07-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Hmmm

gr824
07-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Hmmm

Perhaps u "Luv Pu$$y" so much it has rotted ur brain a bit ... There may be some other explanation, but, in any case, this thread you bumped is FIVE years old !!! :crazy: :ouch:

:bang:

LA_Raiders
07-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Lol, he needs more practice