PDA

View Full Version : Durant says loyalty made him sign with oklahoma city

Shark
07-11-2010, 01:02 PM
THE VILLAGE, Okla. -- Like fellow NBA superstar LeBron James the night before, Kevin Durant sat in front of dozens of kids on Friday as he talked about the future of his basketball career.

The key difference: Everyone in attendance knew where Durant will be playing the next few years -- the same franchise with which he started his pro career. That theme of loyalty -- of the Thunder to Durant, of Durant to the franchise and the city that's embraced him -- dominated the discussion.

"To be here for five more years is a great feeling. Words can't explain how excited I am," Durant said. He stayed away from any promises, but was certain "our best years are ahead of us."

Durant began professing his love for Oklahoma City not long after the Thunder franchise moved here from Seattle two years ago. As he emerged as a star, some wondered whether he might long for brighter lights instead of toiling in one of the league's smallest markets.

Instead, Durant and the Thunder reached a deal on a contract extension quickly. Team representatives, including general manager Sam Presti, showed up at Durant's house at 11:01 p.m. Central time on June 30, the earliest possible time allowed under league rules. Durant said he felt humbled by that action and wanted to reciprocate that loyalty to the team.

"It showed how much they cared about me as a person," Durant said.

"I've always been a loyal person. I just love this organization, what we stand for, which is family. I'm really big on that. This is the only place for me. I told everybody a couple of years back that I wanted to be a part of this organization, so I stuck with it."

Presti praised both Durant and Thunder chairman Clay Bennett, saying Bennett made it possible for the team to offer the reigning NBA scoring champ a maximum contract.

Presti said Durant's combination of skills, work ethic, humility and understanding of the team concept is rare.

"Today is about commitment," Presti said. "Kevin made a statement committing to our organization for an additional five years at a time when there's much uncertainty in the NBA. Yet, as has been the case throughout his career, he demonstrated why he is a unique superstar, one that our organization stands behind and believes in."

He added: "At a time when people think 'I,' Kevin thinks 'we."'

Durant is signed with the Thunder through next season under his original rookie contract, which would pay him about $5 million next year. The five-year extension does not include a player opt-out option after four years, at Durant's request.

Durant was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft and won the Rookie of the Year award. Last season, he was selected as an All-Star for the first time and averaged 30.1 points per game to become the youngest player to lead the league in scoring.

He led the Thunder to a 50-32 record -- a 27-win improvement over the previous season -- and the first round of the NBA playoffs. Oklahoma City fell to the eventual NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers in six games.

Durant has spent much of this week in Orlando, Fla., with his teammates at the NBA Summer League. Thunder coach Scott Brooks said Durant's mere presence there offered proof that Durant does not take shortcuts as a pro player.

"For (a superstar) to come to the summer league to support his team, that's rare, but that's normal for Kevin," Brooks said, noting that Durant participated in the team's 6:45 a.m. workouts.

Unlike James, who announced his decision to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers and sign as a free agent with the Miami Heat during an hour-long ESPN special on Thursday, Durant told the world about his new deal quietly through a Twitter post.

Asked about that contrast, Durant said it was simply in his character. He did not criticize James, saying the two situations were different because James was a free agent and Durant was not.

"He's the biggest thing in sports and everybody wanted to know where he was going, two years ago," Durant said. "My situation was different. I felt like I didn't need a big crowd around me to make my decision. It was pretty easy. As I said, I want to be here."

Durant's mother, Wanda Pratt; father, Wayne Pratt; and grandmother attended Friday's event. Each wore a huge smile and his mom said Oklahoma City is a good place for her son.

"I'm very proud of Kevin," Wanda Pratt said. "I'm proud of the person that he is more than the basketball player."

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=327105

Lol, was this article made to put down LeBron... Key word in article was "Loyalty" and LeBron was the opposite through everyones eyes as "Betrayer"

Hmm I wonder if Durant is planning the next five years to create his own mega team.

effen5
07-11-2010, 01:05 PM
:clap:

new face of the NBA right there

Avenged
07-11-2010, 01:07 PM
You really can't hate on Durant. Very humble.

RadiantShot
07-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Durant > LeBron

TheKing23
07-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Durant > LeBron

In terms of loyalty yes, but let's not get carried away.

In almost every facet of the game LeBron is superior to Durant.

effen5
07-11-2010, 01:12 PM

Give Durant a few more years and hes going to blow Lebron away

WestCoastPhan
07-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Hard not to cheer for this guy, real class act, i wish him well for the rest of his career because he's exactly what the NBA needs.

HouRealCoach
07-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Do we post why everyone stayed with their team??? No, and we did this because people are mad because Lebron went to Miami and you get another chance to bash him... Guys get over it its done and finalized and wont be changed... Stop *****ing and cheer for your team and stop hating cause Pat Riley pulled it off

GOON MUSIC
07-11-2010, 01:16 PM
lol he'll only be like 26/27 when that contract is up

then he could be the new face of the LAKERS !!

Hawkeye15
while I am sure loyalty had a lot to do with it, the looming collective bargaining agreement potentially being restructed had a lot to do with it as well. He is not stupid, he had a great chance of losing money if he didn't sign now.
And Durant's situation is totally different than LeBron's. Durant actually has a front office that was intelligent, and is surrounding him with young talent that is growing into a monster. LeBron had none of this

Giants88
As a knick fan I absolutely love the Thunder and Durant. The future is very bright for this team.

HouRealCoach
07-11-2010, 01:17 PM
and Im not even a Heat fan, I like the Knicks and follow T-Mac because my city doesnt have a team and with that said I should be mad cause they killed the Knicks dreams but its a good thing for them

BronBron06
07-11-2010, 01:20 PM
LeBron would've probably won already 10 championships and everyone already forgotten what Durant said that day and Durant joined Team Heat

Perfect twist to that.

RapOZo
07-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I admire this kids maturity

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 01:22 PM

how do you figure? Just look at them side by side at the same age. Somewhat equal efficiency wise, except for one glaring thing. LeBron is arguably the best distributing SF of all time.
Durant will pass LeBron at this point as an overall scorer, no doubt. They rebound similar, and both have huge usage. But Durant will probably never reach LeBron's all around game.

netsgiantsyanks
07-11-2010, 01:24 PM
durant is a true class act much more class than the-guy-that -should-not-be-named-because-even-mentioning-his-name-dissapoints-me-at-this-point

J-Relo
07-11-2010, 01:28 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=327105

Lol, was this article made to put down LeBron... Key word in article was "Loyalty" and LeBron was the opposite through everyones eyes as "Betrayer"

Hmm I wonder if Durant is planning the next five years to create his own mega team.

Lebron was loyal for 7 years, Cavs organisation should be happy of this

Cali4rnia
07-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I prefer Durant over Labron n e ways.. n thats i stand for before even labron went to miami.. Durant got that outside touch.. Durant is the future after kobe :)

RadiantShot
07-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Lebron was loyal for 7 years, Cavs organisation should be happy of this

I sure as heck wouldn't stay in Cleveland; So I see why LeBron left. I've never heard anyone say, "I want to go to Cleveland on vacation." ;)

Seriously though, I'd accept him leaving a lot more if he didn't do that "The Decision" show, and him not guaranteeing bringing a Championship to Cleveland. He also said he didn't want to ring-chase, which he's doing now. He also said he'd be in the dunk contest; which he didn't do. This man is full of lies.

Shark
07-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Yea that was a sacastic comment i made about "Hmm I wonder if Durant is planning the next five years to create his own mega team."

but Durant did not play on the same quality team and quality of players that LeBron did. I think LeBron had more options. Durant had Westbrook, solid young PG the same age as Durant, both only 2 seasons in the NBA and playing the way they are is fantastic.

By the way, I choose Durant over LeBron also. What Durant has done in his 1st 2 years of the NBA, outweighs what Bron did in his first 2 years.

LeBron's 1st 2 Seasons Breakdown:

2003-2004 >>> Led the Cavs to a 35-47 Record

Averaged 20.9PPG .. 5.5 RPG and 5.9 APG

2004-2005 >>> Led the Cavs to a 42-40 Record(9th place finish)

Averaged 27.2 PPG .. 7.4 RPG and 7.2 APG

Now Durant's 1st 2 Seasons

2008-2009 >>> Led the Thunder to 23-59 Record

Averaged 25.3 PPG .. 6.5 RPG and 2.8 APG

2009-2010 >>> Led the Thunder to a 50-32 Record(8th place in West, which is like 4th in East)

Averaged 30.1 PPG .. 7.6 RPG and 2.8 APG

Durant took the Thunder to a playoff berth in a tougher conference i believe in just his second year. I will add that he also averaged less minutes then LeBron in the first 2 years as well.

Yes they are both physically different and psychologically different players. But you got to imagine the progress Durant has made in his first 2 years outweighs LeBron's. I also think Durant is more mature at his age of 21 then LeBron is at 25.

Anyways Durant is going to be a star for years to come.

Slimsim
07-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Will Durant say that if he turns 26 of age and still has no rings ?

bandaid-prize
You really can't hate on Durant. Very humble.

yup.

i'll wait to see what 7 years of demand that he be brilliant 82 times in the meaningless regular season, plus the beating he'll take, does to him.

never cheered for him, but as the years go by, i admire more and more the commitment to the game that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar gave for all those years.

Frezhnitz
how do you figure? Just look at them side by side at the same age. Somewhat equal efficiency wise, except for one glaring thing. LeBron is arguably the best distributing SF of all time.
Durant will pass LeBron at this point as an overall scorer, no doubt. They rebound similar, and both have huge usage. But Durant will probably never reach LeBron's all around game.

Lebron does not have an all around game.

Raidaz4Life
07-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Durant is such a STUD!

Frezhnitz
07-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Will Durant say that if he turns 26 of age and still has no rings ?

Love your sig. lol he'll join the Lakers.

Mrphilly
07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
What is the diifference between Bron and KD. Bron resigned with the Cavs after his rookie contraqct was up too. Just because Durant signed for 2 extra years he is "Loyal"

Why do people act like Lebron isn't Loyal, because he left Cleveland. Just because he is from that area, doesn't mean he should stay there forever.

D Wade could have went to Chicago where he is from, but didn't. I guess he isn't Loyal.

There is little loyalty in sports, its all about business. Lebron handled his business!!!!

Frezhnitz
07-11-2010, 01:41 PM
yup.

i'll wait to see what 7 years of demand that he be brilliant 82 times in the meaningless regular season, plus the beating he'll take, does to him.

never cheered for him, but as the years go by, i admire more and more the commitment to the game that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar gave for all those years.

I'm sure he won't do what Lebron did.

Frezhnitz
07-11-2010, 01:43 PM
What is the diifference between Bron and KD. Bron resigned with the Cavs after his rookie contraqct was up too. Just because Durant signed for 2 extra years he is "Loyal"

Why do people act like Lebron isn't Loyal, because he left Cleveland. Just because he is from that area, doesn't mean he should stay there forever.

D Wade could have went to Chicago where he is from, but didn't. I guess he isn't Loyal.

There is little loyalty in sports, its all about business. Lebron handled his business!!!!

Dwade stayed with the Heats. The team that drafted him.

bears88
07-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Durant is a beast he is my second favorite player other then Rose Screw Lebron.

Shark
07-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Well actually he signed the extra 2 years because that was his OWN decision. He didnt gather up with anyone else like LeBron did with Bosh and Wade to only sign lesser length deals so they can become UFA together faster and play with each other faster. I mean you have to be blind not to see that they had this planned since that time. Why else would 2 elite players(wade and LeBron) and 1 strogish player(bosh) only sign shorter length deals if they were "loyal" to their teams. I mean the Knicks could have been the team they all went to, had nothing to do with loyalty, the only reason they chose miami was because they had the most cap space available to work with to build around them, and Wade was already part of the team.

magichatnumber9
07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Durant is like a Jedi were Lebron is like the sith

Bearsfan54
07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Do we post why everyone stayed with their team??? No, and we did this because people are mad because Lebron went to Miami and you get another chance to bash him... Guys get over it its done and finalized and wont be changed... Stop *****ing and cheer for your team and stop hating cause Pat Riley pulled it off

This was posted because it shows class and it shows dedication. Add Lebrons betrayl and it makes it so much better which is why Durant will go down as a better player in the end than Lebron even if he only wins 1 title he did it for his home fans. Why r u in here??? Miami fans just asking for it by coming in here, why don't you just go circle jerk with lebron Wade bosh n Riley

Melo15
Durant is the man, I'm excited to see how much more the Thunder improve this year.

RUMPLESTILTSKIN
Lebron remained loyal in his quest to win a championship. His true fans shouldn't be acting like jilted and dumped teenage girls, but should be happy he now has a decent roster and a real shot of winning championships.

The fact is Lebron was in a no-win situation in Cleveland. I find it absolutely amazing that Fairy boy wasn't fired long ago and was allowed to cowardly sneak out the back door before Lebron predictably jumped shipped. Of course not before Fairy overpaid for every 3rd tier player imaginable and destroyed the Cavs future and forced Lebron to greener pastures.

Lay the blame where it belongs with the limp wrist of Danny Ferry which got carried away signing those contracts. Look at Cavs salary situation and compare it to the talent/salaries of a team like the Spurs or Rockets.

gangis2169
07-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Your right Lebron is better in shooting, free throws, 3 pt shooting, rebounding, turnover ratio, and overall fg% outside of the key.

So yea your right....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Yea that was a sacastic comment i made about "Hmm I wonder if Durant is planning the next five years to create his own mega team."

but Durant did not play on the same quality team and quality of players that LeBron did. I think LeBron had more options. Durant had Westbrook, solid young PG the same age as Durant, both only 2 seasons in the NBA and playing the way they are is fantastic.

By the way, I choose Durant over LeBron also. What Durant has done in his 1st 2 years of the NBA, outweighs what Bron did in his first 2 years.

LeBron's 1st 2 Seasons Breakdown:

2003-2004 >>> Led the Cavs to a 35-47 Record

Averaged 20.9PPG .. 5.5 RPG and 5.9 APG

2004-2005 >>> Led the Cavs to a 42-40 Record(9th place finish)

Averaged 27.2 PPG .. 7.4 RPG and 7.2 APG

Now Durant's 1st 2 Seasons

2008-2009 >>> Led the Thunder to 23-59 Record

Averaged 25.3 PPG .. 6.5 RPG and 2.8 APG

2009-2010 >>> Led the Thunder to a 50-32 Record(8th place in West, which is like 4th in East)

Averaged 30.1 PPG .. 7.6 RPG and 2.8 APG

Durant took the Thunder to a playoff berth in a tougher conference i believe in just his second year. I will add that he also averaged less minutes then LeBron in the first 2 years as well.

Yes they are both physically different and psychologically different players. But you got to imagine the progress Durant has made in his first 2 years outweighs LeBron's. I also think Durant is more mature at his age of 21 then LeBron is at 25.

Anyways Durant is going to be a star for years to come.

not to nitpick, but you are comparing years 2 and 3 of Durant to years 1 and 2 of LeBron here. You missed Durant's rookie numbers entirely

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Lebron does not have an all around game.

before I even bother responding with evidence, please provide evidence on why he doesn't have the best all around game in the NBA

Shark
07-11-2010, 02:06 PM
not to nitpick, but you are comparing years 2 and 3 of Durant to years 1 and 2 of LeBron here. You missed Durant's rookie numbers entirely

sorry you are right I am. I forgot Seattle. I guess I got caught up in the whole franchise being moved and all. But you got to see where I am coming from and how fast Durant is progressing amid a franchise being moved and all.

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Your right Lebron is better in shooting, free throws, 3 pt shooting, rebounding, turnover ratio, and overall fg% outside of the key.

So yea your right....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

their rebounding is nearly identical. LeBron is a much better finisher, and is exponentially a better distributor, which is, and will continue to be, the major difference between them, and is what will keep LeBron seperated from Durant.
Nobody is claiming Durant is swiss cheese. I think he is the third best individual player in the NBA. But LeBron is better, and was better at 21

Mell413
07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
No way this article is posted if LeBron stays in Cleveland. Durant also has quality players around him which LeBron didn't have. Good for Durant for staying I guess, but I'm pretty sure this thread isn't created if LeBron stays. It just seems that every thread created in this forum is used to bash LeBron.

coloradobuff
07-11-2010, 02:08 PM
would love to see him and okc win title over lebron

JWO35
07-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Nice move by Durant, staying with the Thunder...hopefully he can LEAD HIS TEAM to a championship

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 02:10 PM
sorry you are right I am. I forgot Seattle. I guess I got caught up in the whole franchise being moved and all. But you got to see where I am coming from and how fast Durant is progressing amid a franchise being moved and all.

well, LeBron went from being a young pup with amazing potential, to the best player in the NBA in similar time frame, at least statistically. But Durant's progress clearly moves him ahead of Melo, Howard, and many other young superstars. Durant is amazing. One of my favorite players. But I am also subjective. LeBron puts up numbers not put up since Michael Jordan. Say all you want about rings, etc, him quitting, whatever. He gets a lot of justified criticism. But if he maintains this efficiency, and becomes the leader of the Miami Heat and their rings in the next number of years, the sky is the limit on where he ends up in the rankings for all time greats

fadedmario
07-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Durant is the man. **** LBJ

swirl54
07-11-2010, 02:13 PM

LeBron doesnt have a killer instinct or heart and to be great you need both which Durant has who cares about passing ability Jason Williams is a good passer too lol

fadedmario
07-11-2010, 02:14 PM
well, LeBron went from being a young pup with amazing potential, to the best player in the NBA in similar time frame, at least statistically. But Durant's progress clearly moves him ahead of Melo, Howard, and many other young superstars. Durant is amazing. One of my favorite players. But I am also subjective. LeBron puts up numbers not put up since Michael Jordan. Say all you want about rings, etc, him quitting, whatever. He gets a lot of justified criticism. But if he maintains this efficiency, and becomes the leader of the Miami Heat and their rings in the next number of years, the sky is the limit on where he ends up in the rankings for all time greats

Durant can shoot in traffic. That's the difference between him and Lebron. Durant is a shooter. Durant is more like Jordan than Lebron.

Mrphilly
07-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Well actually he signed the extra 2 years because that was his OWN decision. He didnt gather up with anyone else like LeBron did with Bosh and Wade to only sign lesser length deals so they can become UFA together faster and play with each other faster. I mean you have to be blind not to see that they had this planned since that time. Why else would 2 elite players(wade and LeBron) and 1 strogish player(bosh) only sign shorter length deals if they were "loyal" to their teams. I mean the Knicks could have been the team they all went to, had nothing to do with loyalty, the only reason they chose miami was because they had the most cap space available to work with to build around them, and Wade was already part of the team.

When they signed those contracts everbody said it was a smart move. Don't lock yoourself in too long, give the team a few years to build a winner around you. That didn't happen so he had to go. If cleveland had the cap space, they would all be in Cleveland.

Be realistic, the Lakers were in the finals 3 straight years. They have two of the best players in the league, so why is it not ok to Lebron to team up with another great player.

You can be Loyal or you can win. Ask KG, his loyality got him nothing, demanding a trade got him a ring and a chance for another.

Googlyeyes101
07-11-2010, 02:22 PM
When they signed those contracts everbody said it was a smart move. Don't lock yoourself in too long, give the team a few years to build a winner around you. That didn't happen so he had to go. If cleveland had the cap space, they would all be in Cleveland.

Be realistic, the Lakers were in the finals 3 straight years. They have two of the best players in the league, so why is it not ok to Lebron to team up with another great player.

You can be Loyal or you can win. Ask KG, his loyality got him nothing, demanding a trade got him a ring and a chance for another.

yeah man you are completely right, screw loyalty....

Truheatfan
07-11-2010, 02:31 PM
while I am sure loyalty had a lot to do with it, the looming collective bargaining agreement potentially being restructed had a lot to do with it as well. He is not stupid, he had a great chance of losing money if he didn't sign now.
And Durant's situation is totally different than LeBron's. Durant actually has a front office that was intelligent, and is surrounding him with young talent that is growing into a monster. LeBron had none of this

:clap: the thunder are going to be force in the west for years to come and are very scary as it is depending pn how healthy he can be and we'll see after this year they should go after yao if he becomes a free agent!

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I love KD dearly, but lets be honest, he is quite naive if he really believes loyalty counts for anything in this League. It is great to take that road when you are only 21 and have your whole future ahead of you. When you've only played 3 seasons and the whole world is enamored of you. When you are on a young team, with no pressure and no expectations. When your coach, owner, teammates and fans are in your corner.

Now, fast-foward to 8-10 years down the road. Lets say you've had some injuries. Let's say you've had some bad luck. Let's say your roster leaves a lot to be desired. Let's say you continuously come up against a perennial super-team, that hands you defeat after defeat in the finals. What then? THE TIDE TURNS!

Maybe he should have a talk with KG, Patrick Ewing, Grant Hill, and few such veterans, who were once filled with promise too. Who were loyal to a fault. Look where it got them. The NBA is a business, and it would behoove Kevin to remember that. In all his youthful exuberance, what he should keep in mind, is that every career in this League comes with an expiration date. Walking away with a gold watch, i.e, MVP trophy, scoring title, All Star appearances, is cold comfort at the end of the day. The pièce de résistance, the holy grail, the ultimate prize, is a CHAMPIONSHIP.

In my experience, fans, owners, teammate, and the media, are none too forgiving of those who fall short. Just ask Charles Barkley. Bottomline, all these same folks who are lauding you for you "loyalty" today, will turn on you tomorrow, if you fail to deliver. Dan Gilbert's rant, should serve as a warning to all professional athletes today. THERE IS NO LOYALTY IN BUSINESS!!!

phoenix_bladen
07-11-2010, 02:34 PM
i really admire kevin durant i think he's my new favourite player

josh81589
07-11-2010, 02:40 PM

I don't think you can really blow Lebron way, the guy will be a legend as a player.

Got to love Durant though, loved him at Texas as well. What a humble person, it's good to see that some of these players don't get as fat of a head as Lebron. Great things will happen for Durant!

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Durant can shoot in traffic. That's the difference between him and Lebron. Durant is a shooter. Durant is more like Jordan than Lebron.

For sure. LeBron is more Magic, with scoring ability. I think LeBron has a superior all around game. He can do more things. Durant is a pure scorer who rebounds well. LeBron does both of these things, but can pass like a PG.
Anyways, I think this may be the 10th time I have done a LeBron vs Durant comparison. My opinion is commonly known. Durant is one of my favorite players, I like him way more than LeBron. But LeBron is better, and was at the same age.
Moving on. Great move for Durant and OKC.

gangis2169
07-11-2010, 02:47 PM
their rebounding is nearly identical. LeBron is a much better finisher, and is exponentially a better distributor, which is, and will continue to be, the major difference between them, and is what will keep LeBron seperated from Durant.
Nobody is claiming Durant is swiss cheese. I think he is the third best individual player in the NBA. But LeBron is better, and was better at 21

A SF naturally doesnt get alot of assists if they play there position correctly. But we all know Lebron wanted the ball all the time a little to much. That is what killed the CAVS chances of winning. He did not need to be there point guard. Assists dont mean nothing if you arent playing your position right. Durant's skill level with his shooting skills is something that Lebron can never match unless he gets serious about playing the game they way he needs to in order to be successfull. Durant is the next mega star of this league. He is a great team player that knows how to play his position. By the way being able to finish is NOT what seperates good players from stars we know that now with zone defense. THAT IS EXACTLY WHY LEBRON DOES NOT HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP.

soonabooma
07-11-2010, 02:49 PM

So you think Lebron played in a finals and had back to back 60+ win seasons all by himself? That's bullcrap. He had his share of good complimentary players, in fact, he had a hell of a lot more help at the start of his career than Jordan did. Everything was just fine when they were winning, he was all smiles, he was on top of the world. But every time they dealt with a big disappointment, he was nowhere to be found. He never had the leadership skills necessary to be a true winner, he never had the class, he never had the desire, he never had the heart of a champion. People were just deceived becuz of his freakish athletic ability. Everybody thought he was gonna be the next champion, but now we're starting to see what he really is.....a very gifted athlete, a very rare talent, but not a WINNER. When faced with the ultimate adversity, he totally ran away and went crawling to his little buddies to try to help him get a ring. Can you imagine if Michael Jordan had just thrown in the towel in Chicago and joined the Pistons or the Knicks becuz he allowed himself to be defeated? It would have been crazy. This little prickfart has no clue what it takes to be a champion. And he has absolutely no idea what he just did to his career. He thinks he made a smart decision, but 99.9% of the universe knows that he just took his legacy and put it right here.......:moon:

gangis2169
07-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I am a Kobe fan but I am really liking KD. When Kobe is done I will definately be rooting for KD. He has the skillsand mentality to win championships.

nanablvd
07-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Durant is a masterpiece, a great combination of basketball talent and humility. Props to his family for the good upbringing he had.

gangis2169
07-11-2010, 02:55 PM

NUMBERS NEVER TRANSLATE TO WINNING! WE ALL KNOW THAT! Plus I will never rank Lebron in the top 5 all time due to the fact of this superteam. Sorry no matter how many people think that he will be the leader and blah blah blah.. He will never surpass Jordan,Kobe,Magic,Bird,Wilt/Kareem

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 02:55 PM
A SF naturally doesnt get alot of assists if they play there position correctly. But we all know Lebron wanted the ball all the time a little to much. That is what killed the CAVS chances of winning. He did not need to be there point guard. Assists dont mean nothing if you arent playing your position right. Durant's skill level with his shooting skills is something that Lebron can never match unless he gets serious about playing the game they way he needs to in order to be successfull. Durant is the next mega star of this league. He is a great team player that knows how to play his position. By the way being able to finish is NOT what seperates good players from stars we know that now with zone defense. THAT IS EXACTLY WHY LEBRON DOES NOT HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP.

this makes absolutely no sense on many levels. It is NEVER a bad thing to be a distributor. Ever. I guess Larry Bird didn't play the SF position correctly, by your assessment of the position.

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 02:57 PM
NUMBERS NEVER TRANSLATE TO WINNING! WE ALL KNOW THAT! Plus I will never rank Lebron in the top 5 all time due to the fact of this superteam. Sorry no matter how many people think that he will be the leader and blah blah blah.. He will never surpass Jordan,Kobe,Magic,Bird,Wilt/Kareem

you sound like a very angry young man.
And basketball is a team sport. A team has to win. LeBron's didn't give him the opportunity to win when it mattered. I agree he didn't play with any passion in game 5, and various parts of the Boston series. But his teammates were already on vacation. Same with the previous year. You can win a lot of regular season games with LeBron healthy, and role players playing well, but not in the playoffs.
But again, I was making a comparion between the games of Durant and LeBron. They are different players that score and rebound the same, with LJ involving others waaaaaaaaaaay more. Which is why his efficiency will always be higher.

Also, Michael Jordan is the only player with better numbers than LeBron, and he was the biggest winner

gangis2169
07-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Get informed.. It has been a very very well known fact that Lebron litterally had his hand up Dan Gilberts ***** telling him who to sign and what to do. That is why Danny Ferry and Mike Brown did not get along with Lebron or Gilbert. Lebron is very much to blame for alot of the decisions that were made for that organization. But Dan Gilbert is really to blame for allowing Lebron to dictate the direction of the organization and run a muck as well. Ferry and Brown told Gilbert that Lebron was and had always been very disrespectful with the staff for years, Gilbert had the whool pulled over his eyes so bad no wonder why he had this reaction to Lebron signing to the Heat. Lebron did exactly what Ferry and Brown say Disrespect him.

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Get informed.. It has been a very very well known fact that Lebron litterally had his hand up Dan Gilberts ***** telling him who to sign and what to do. That is why Danny Ferry and Mike Brown did not get along with Lebron or Gilbert. Lebron is very much to blame for alot of the decisions that were made for that organization. But Dan Gilbert is really to blame for allowing Lebron to dictate the direction of the organization and run a muck as well. Ferry and Brown told Gilbert that Lebron was and had always been very disrespectful with the staff for years, Gilbert had the whool pulled over his eyes so bad no wonder why he had this reaction to Lebron signing to the Heat. Lebron did exactly what Ferry and Brown say Disrespect him.

what is your deal? I am informed. It does not deter the fact that he is the best player in the world. I hate Kobe's guts, and think his actions over the years have been classless. But it doesn't change my opinion of him as a player. Being classy doesn't make you a better player. Some can't distinguish this.

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 03:07 PM

nevermind. Just glanced at a bunch of your recent posts, you are a LeBron hater with the koolaid pumping through your vains. This is pointless. Lata

saucy1
07-11-2010, 03:14 PM
this dude seems like a class act,he shows up to the draft to support his team signs for less than he could have got and so forth .

marlinsfan24
07-11-2010, 03:20 PM

I do admire what KD did here though.

soonabooma
07-11-2010, 03:21 PM
The guy is not a winner, plain and simple. There's no way in hell he can blame the Cavs postseason struggles on a lack of help from player personel. He had plenty of help, coaching was the biggest problem, but he didn't exactly lead them either, he just played, if things worked out then great, if they didn't then what did he care? He's a hotdogger, he doesn't have the same mentality as MJ or Kobe so he doesn't hold HIMSELF accountable and he doesn't want anybody else to hold HIM accountable. He can just blame it on a lack of help, even thought we all know that's a lame excuse considering they just came off of back to back 60+ win seasons. The Cavs front office is not stupid, they did what they knew they needed to do, which was replace Mike Brown with a better coach. All LeQueef had to do was get stronger in mind and lead his team, they would have eventually gotten that ring. But he didn't have the guts. And that's why nobody outside of Miami and his family will ever respect him again. Do you honestly think guys like Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Brandon Roy, and Dwight Howard respect Lebron on the inside? Hell no, they can say what they want to the media, but inside they think he's a joke now. And what about Kobe, Michael, and all those legends that came before him? Do you think they respect the way he gave up and ran away from adversity? No way. Some of the greatest players to ever play the game didn't get a ring, but the ones that did, did it the right way. If you're truly one of the elite players, you can't do what he did and expect people to respect you. He screwed up big time. :cool:

97NYer
07-11-2010, 03:27 PM
I love kd <3

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 03:41 PM
The guy is not a winner, plain and simple. There's no way in hell he can blame the Cavs postseason struggles on a lack of help from player personel. He had plenty of help, coaching was the biggest problem, but he didn't exactly lead them either, he just played, if things worked out then great, if they didn't then what did he care? He's a hotdogger, he doesn't have the same mentality as MJ or Kobe so he doesn't hold HIMSELF accountable and he doesn't want anybody else to hold HIM accountable. He can just blame it on a lack of help, even thought we all know that's a lame excuse considering they just came off of back to back 60+ win seasons. The Cavs front office is not stupid, they did what they knew they needed to do, which was replace Mike Brown with a better coach. All LeQueef had to do was get stronger in mind and lead his team, they would have eventually gotten that ring. But he didn't have the guts. And that's why nobody outside of Miami and his family will ever respect him again. Do you honestly think guys like Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, Brandon Roy, and Dwight Howard respect Lebron on the inside? Hell no, they can say what they want to the media, but inside they think he's a joke now. And what about Kobe, Michael, and all those legends that came before him? Do you think they respect the way he gave up and ran away from adversity? No way. Some of the greatest players to ever play the game didn't get a ring, but the ones that did, did it the right way. If you're truly one of the elite players, you can't do what he did and expect people to respect you. He screwed up big time. :cool:

Maybe, just maybe, he is tired of doing what people want him to do. All of his life he's tried to live up to everybody's expectations -- THIS TIME HE DID WHAT HE WANTED. If you ask me, it about time. Please yourself, because no matter what you do, someone is still going to be displeased with you.

I'm a die-hard Bulls fan, and I'm over it. I cried the night of the announcement, and then I moved on. Enough with the bitterness. He didn't choose us, he didn't choose u guys, he went where he felt he would be happy. More power to him. For a guy so many of you coveted, it is amazing how many are so quick to malign and belittle him. I've even seen posts about his Mom for christsakes. ENOUGH! MOVE ON!

As for Kobe, please! I remember when he called it quits in a few playoff games of his own. I remember one particular game against the Suns where he did not score or take a shot in the entire first half. He's pulled that stunt time and time again, just to prove he is the man. He was rotting away in LA, an aject failure, until Pau came along and Fisher returned to revive that team. He was making videos in parking lots calling out his teammates, bad-mouthing the organization, and demanding a trade. He ruined our 2007-2008 season with that trade fiasco. PLEASE, DON'T DARE HOLD HIM UP AS SOME SORT OF BEACON, he has feet of clay.

Stop acting like a jilted girlfriend and get on with your life, man!:rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 03:52 PM
seriously. People are taking this whole thing way too personally. Bosh is getting minimal slack, and Wade is getting none. Yet LeBron is getting crapped on when its obvious this has been in the works for a while

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 04:01 PM
seriously. People are taking this whole thing way too personally. Bosh is getting minimal slack, and Wade is getting none. Yet LeBron is getting crapped on when its obvious this has been in the works for a while

Wade for me is the ultimate villain. I wonder why more Chicagoans are not outraged. He had a chance to sign with the home team, to help us win a championship. What did he do? He bad-mouthed us, insiduously courted Bosh while in Chicago, wasted our time with multiple interviews, and walked away with the prize. He must be laughing his azz off in Miami. He sure fooled the Bulls FO.

WADE, not Riley, is the reason we lost out on Bosh and LeBron. Yet no one in Chicago is calling him a traitor nor burning his jerseys. Go figure!

jdub747
07-11-2010, 04:10 PM
durant is the man. that's the kind of player i would be if i were in the nba

nigerianking
07-11-2010, 04:15 PM

3 pt shooting, midrange shooting, free throws

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 04:21 PM
3 pt shooting, midrange shooting, free throws

he said almost. Which is true.

smiddy012
07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Wade for me is the ultimate villain. I wonder why more Chicagoans are not outraged. He had a chance to sign with the home team, to help us win a championship. What did he do? He bad-mouthed us, insiduously courted Bosh while in Chicago, wasted our time with multiple interviews, and walked away with the prize. He must be laughing his azz off in Miami. He sure fooled the Bulls FO.

WADE, not Riley, is the reason we lost out on Bosh and LeBron. Yet no one in Chicago is calling him a traitor nor burning his jerseys. Go figure!

Yes, Wade's words (relative to his actions) more than anything has proven him a piece of crap. He was serious about leaving Miami, even Miami fans should have full trust in him. Not to mention he's a hometown kid... Im sure he's going to get crap from multiple people in Chicago about this. And some of the stuff he did this FA period I can understand its just the stuff he says and his big mouth that proves him to be conniving and insincere.

Now Lebron isnt just a straight up piece of **** like Wade. He's more the entitled kid with all the talent in the world who's taking the easy way out. Its like Lebron has no role-models, just a bunch of enablers.

gbpackers12
07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
KD > All

JordansBulls
07-11-2010, 05:01 PM

new face of the NBA right there

:nod:

You can tell by the calls he was getting at 21.

FarOutIos
07-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I am a Durant fan.

BUT- comparing the two situations is just STUPID.

No way you can say Durant is more loyal than Lebron because he signed an extension with the Thunder.

The team is really different. I don't like the Cavs roster one bit minus Lebron. While the Thunder have some great young talent. With Westbrook, Green, Harden, Thabo, Ibaka, Cole Aldrich, Eric Maynor, Mullens... if you go down their roster, it's filled with players with 3 or less years experience. Most were first round draft picks.

The Thunder's roster is going to rock the NBA in a couple of years. Why wouldn't he stay. The only thing I can commend him on is not leaving for a big market.

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
:nod:

You can tell by the calls he was getting at 21.

Yes, until he does something to tick you people off. Won't be long. I remember when LeBron was lauded over selfish, ballhog, Kobe as the definitive player. Hmmmm...wonder what happened? Oh yeah, he let down a lot of people to follow his heart.

Wonder how long before KD stops pleasing the masses and do what he wants? Just saying...:eyebrow:

BayHuStLE
07-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Durant really is a superstar, and shows his true loyalty by staying with OKC

good young team, I think they can do better than the cavs did with Lebron

robdizzle3
Durant and that Thunder team have my respect, though they pushed the Lakers, they did it with respect and woke the Lakers up. Durant showed "loyalty" by not saying he is, but showing it. Anybody can say that they're loyal, like Lebron, but showing it is different. Dont get me wrong, I thought Lebron should've left Cleveland for a chance to win, but he could've handled it better.

Cbast09
Lebron is still a top 3 player in the NBA. Durant will be amazing, but let's not get carried away. I know you guys hate Lebron and the Heat, but chill out. Lebron is only 25 and still in his prime.

robdizzle3
07-11-2010, 05:11 PM
About the Durant and Lebron debate. Durant is the better offensiove player imo. The tougher cover, because he can stretch you, but Lebron is more complete imo.

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Durant and that Thunder team have my respect, though they pushed the Lakers, they did it with respect and woke the Lakers up. Durant showed "loyalty" by not saying he is, but showing it. Anybody can say that they're loyal, like Lebron, but showing it is different. Dont get me wrong, I thought Lebron should've left Cleveland for a chance to win, but he could've handled it better.

People said KG was loyal too. He was a class act. Look where it got him! Lets see how long KD stays loyal.:rolleyes:

lamar2006
07-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Durant will be better than LBJ in 3 years. Lebron will never be the best player in the league because when Kobe retires Durant would have surpassed Lebron.

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Durant will be better than LBJ in 3 years. Lebron will never be the best player in the league because when Kobe retires Durant would have surpassed Lebron.

You are assuming that Kobe is currently the best player in the League. Wow!! Theyy really are getting generous with that Koolaid!:facepalm:

heathonater
07-11-2010, 05:34 PM
in todays world, there is no loyalty in pro sports. very few players are loyal to their teams these days. im not going to give durant a pat in the back for resigning. i didnt have an issue with lebron leaving cleveland, but the wway he announced his new team should have been done in a different way.

dimedrpr
07-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I am a Durant fan.

BUT- comparing the two situations is just STUPID.

No way you can say Durant is more loyal than Lebron because he signed an extension with the Thunder.

The team is really different. I don't like the Cavs roster one bit minus Lebron. While the Thunder have some great young talent. With Westbrook, Green, Harden, Thabo, Ibaka, Cole Aldrich, Eric Maynor, Mullens... if you go down their roster, it's filled with players with 3 or less years experience. Most were first round draft picks.

The Thunder's roster is going to rock the NBA in a couple of years. Why wouldn't he stay. The only thing I can commend him on is not leaving for a big market.

He could have taken a player option in the last year and didn't because he wanted to show his loyalty to the team. It's just the way he was raised. He is humble and team first. His parents are good people and KD is showing himself to be the same. It's the reason he went down to summer league to support his guys and the reason he took James Harden with him to China when KD was doing his nike stuff this summer. These guys are a family and I am just happy that I get to see them play in person 41 times a year.

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 05:44 PM
in todays world, there is no loyalty in pro sports. very few players are loyal to their teams these days. im not going to give durant a pat in the back for resigning. i didnt have an issue with lebron leaving cleveland, but the wway he announced his new team should have been done in a different way.

LET ME ASK YOU? HOW MANY TEAMS ARE LOYAL TO THEIR PLAYERS? Take Hinrich, he was drafted by the Bulls, played his heart out for 7 seasons with them. What did he get? They traded him for nothing, literally, on the chance of getting LeBron. Do you think players are not aware of what they are worth to today's organizations? They are just assets, AND ASSETS OWE NO LOYALTY!

robdizzle3
07-11-2010, 05:56 PM
You are assuming that Kobe is currently the best player in the League. Wow!! Theyy really are getting generous with that Koolaid!:facepalm:

When its comes to who's better, its about opinion, especially since both players are good. But IMO Kobe is better. He oes everything but block shots better than Lebron. One thing that seperates them, is that Kobe can shot it from anywhere and close like one of the best to ever do it. Also Better defensively than Lebron also. I dont see why people get mad when people say Kobe is better, because he's more of a complete player than Lebron and he's "past his prime" as most of you would say.

What?
07-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes, until he does something to tick you people off. Won't be long. I remember when LeBron was lauded over selfish, ballhog, Kobe as the definitive player. Hmmmm...wonder what happened? Oh yeah, he let down a lot of people to follow his heart.

Wonder how long before KD stops pleasing the masses and do what he wants? Just saying...:eyebrow:

Clearly he did this because he wanted to and why wouldn't he. Lebron now is hated not because he bailed but because the way he bailed and how he conducted his business. Obviously people appreciate how Durant quietly and professionally signed a contract and went on with his life

What?
07-11-2010, 06:09 PM

You could easily argue that Kobe is the best player in the league and based off of your reaction am assuming you think Lebron is the best player in the league what makes your assumption any more valid then his

robdizzle3
07-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Clearly he did this because he wanted to and why wouldn't he. Lebron now is hated not because he bailed but because the way he bailed and how he conducted his business. Obviously people appreciate how Durant quietly and professionally signed a contract and went on with his life

Exactly. Lebron probably made the right choice, but the way he handled it was bogus. Some fans may have another agenda, like Knicks fans or some Bulls fans, but if any reason somebody is mad at Lebron, it should be because how he handled the whole situation. Wade, Bosh, Joe Johnson, Amare, Boozer or KD didnt have an hour long "decision". They simply said where they were going to and left like that.

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 06:16 PM

Yeah, much like LeBron did with his first contract. Let's see if he is the same player 4 years from now. Let's see if all the hype get to his head too. He is still young. You can't compare both situations. These guys are at different points in their careers. Like I've said time and again, only time will tell.;)

What?
07-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, much like LeBron did with his first contract. Let's see if he is the same player 4 years from now. Let's see if all the hype get to his head too. He is still young. You can't compare both situations. These guys are at different points in their careers. Like I've said time and again, only time will tell.;)

You mean 5 years from now KD requested not to have a player option in 4 years to show his loyalty and that he has no plans of leaving. It's true that only time will tell but Lebron has had the hype go to his head since he was drafted and got the nickname King James
KD has been adored for 2 hole years and has shown little signs of letting his basketball skills and fan adoration get to his head.

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 06:39 PM
You mean 5 years from now KD requested not to have a player option in 4 years to show his loyalty and that he has no plans of leaving. It's true that only time will tell but Lebron has had the hype go to his head since he was drafted and got the nickname King James
KD has been adored for 2 hole years and has shown little signs of letting his basketball skills and fan adoration get to his head.

Well 2 whole years is but a drop in the bucket compared to a lifetime of hype. Like I said, no one made a fuss when LeBron signed that first extension without any fanfare. Time reveals all. Let's see where Kevin is 5 years down the line. Especially if he has won nothing. Hmmmmm?

EliManning#1
07-11-2010, 06:46 PM

seriously

zambo4president
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
He just became the future face of the NBA.

Jezeble
07-11-2010, 07:15 PM
He just became the future face of the NBA.

LOL. Until he steps out of line, goes off the reservation, bites the hand that feeds him, grows a pair.....;)

HiphopRelated
07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Lebron signed his 1st extension too, he was a RFA

okphillie
07-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I live in Oklahoma, I have all of my life, but I was born into a Philadelphia family. Living in OKC I always get the chance to go to Thunder games and all that. I'll root for the Thunder as long as they are not playing the 76ers. (Even though the Sixers suck right now). Anyways, I think within the next 5 years the Thunder will be competing with the Lakers for the Western Conference Championship and I think they will have at least 1 Finals appearance in the next 5 years. (But I could be totally wrong.)

69centers
07-11-2010, 07:58 PM
LeBron would've probably won already 10 championships and everyone already forgotten what Durant said that day and Durant joined Team Heat

Perfect twist to that.

OK, like this post makes even one ounce of sense. :crazy:

Warriors0
07-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Im pretty sure the thunder are gonna win a championship sometime in the future especially since they pushed the lakers in the playoff farther than the jazz and the same as a veteran team like the suns