PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust AA

boilerguy2412
07-11-2010, 01:00 PM
With what has happened to BC in Raptor land my question to you guys is do you trust every move that AA makes. It wasn't long ago that BC was trusted in whatever move he made and now a lot of fans are jumping off the BC banwagon. So do you have 100% faith in everything AA does

BlueJays_29
07-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Far more than JP

nstojic
07-11-2010, 01:22 PM
^^right... cause no one trusted JP in his first year, either... :rolleyes:

Jays52
07-11-2010, 01:32 PM
He has already shown in 1/2 a season that he has a better idea on how to "build" a team rather than patchwork, over the hill, Frank Thomas type signings.

nstojic
07-11-2010, 01:41 PM
^^

? how many years 'in' did JP pick up Thomas?!? i don't want to be a JP apologist but JP wasn't 'patching' in players like Thomas in his first year... how can you predict AA wouldn't do that 4 5 6 years 'in', out of desperation??!?

btw... that first year with TO, Thomas was our best hitter... :D http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/stats/batting/_/name/tor/year/2007/cat/OPS/toronto-blue-jays

what did JP do with one of his first trades? he went and rid us of a imploding Koch for the '02 AL rookie of the year, Hinske.... who knew Hinske would fall off that far, that fast...

bomber0104
07-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I trust him until he gives me a reason not to...

and no I never trusted BC

Bjaxn45
07-11-2010, 02:22 PM
This may be way off as I'm not really a basketball fan, but I don't really feel like BC has done much wrong. Sure his last couple moves haven't worked out but at the time bringing in Turkoglu who was the TOP FA at the time didn't seem like a bad move until he hit the court.

Everyone is an armchair GM. GM's get fired when things don't work out but it's their job to make the best decisions possible to help their club. My point is things haven't worked out but it doesn't mean he has made poor decisions thus far.

As for AA, everything he has done so far has made me happy, especially investing alot more in international free agents and getting a pretty decent pull from Philly in the Halladay deal. However, it is early and we'll see how things go. It will be a few years before we see how their initial draft went and the overall direction the team will be heading in.

This trade deadline is going to be very huge for us, with JPA and Wallace waiting for their call ups, we need to ship off Buck/Molina and Overbay for sure and probably Downs and/or Frasor as well. It's a sellers market so let's get it done.

BlueJayCarter
07-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I agree with Bjaxn45. With BC, he had to bring in a top free agent in hopes of keeping Bosh after missing the playoffs for the first time as GM, and he hoped by getting Turks, that playoffs, playoff success and Bosh staying would happen. Did not work out.

However, onto A.A all of his moves so far have been good. Will they work, maybe maybe not. But right now and into the forseeable future unless he goes off his own plan I will support him 100%.

BlueJayFanDan
07-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Hard not to trust him so far. He got us the best possible return for Roy. He has signed some highly regarded players from other countries. He bought in some guys who look like great trade pieces (Buck, Gonzo, Gregg, re-sign Bautista). He drafted, then signed Dickie Thon which we all were shocked that he signed. And some other good moves. Pretty nice resume so far.

Rochesta
07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
He's made something out of nothing. We now have tradeable pieces for this year's deadline, most of which came out of thin air. We have a decent farm system now, mostly because of his Halladay trade. Any problems that people have with the MLB team should be pinned to Cito and his people, not AA. I guess you could argue that AA should have gotten a different manager, but that would have been too much to do this offseason IMO.

broncosfan_101
07-11-2010, 07:04 PM
A potential problem that I see is him not valuing OBP enough. The guys that he has added (Buck, Gonzo, even bringing back Bautista), while they have brought other positives to the team, have never been good at getting on base. Maybe he just did this for a year because they are who Cito prefers, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

H-MYK
07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
His moves are getting my thumbs up so far.

nithanyo
07-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Like one of my prof says. Everyone starts with 100%. Its up to them to keep it up there or bring it down.

Right now he has done moves sufficent enough for me to think he is a solid GM. But if he does a move like Minaya and trades away a Kazmir for V.Zambrano or talks trash about another teams player like JP did with Dunn, he would lose respect from fans very fast.

nstojic
07-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Like one of my prof says. Everyone starts with 100%. Its up to them to keep it up there or bring it down.

Right now he has done moves sufficent enough for me to think he is a solid GM. But if he does a move like Minaya and trades away a Kazmir for V.Zambrano or talks trash about another teams player like JP did with Dunn, he would lose respect from fans very fast.

nowadays, you can't GIVE Kazmir away... he's having a terrible year in LA

Pride
07-12-2010, 02:53 AM
A potential problem that I see is him not valuing OBP enough. The guys that he has added (Buck, Gonzo, even bringing back Bautista), while they have brought other positives to the team, have never been good at getting on base. Maybe he just did this for a year because they are who Cito prefers, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Bautista gets on base at a very good rate. The rest aren't quite so good at it.

Twitchy
07-12-2010, 08:03 AM

I think for all intents and purposes he was filling out the roster with players because we weren't exactly competing this year, instead of purposely ignoring OBP. Gonzo was specifically taken to force Boston to sign Scutaro so we'd get the picks, and to help the pitchers with his defense. There were no real standouts at catcher (they all were pretty similar) so Buck wasn't a bad choice. There was no reason to non-tender Bautista, as his versatility + his ability to crush LHP made him worth keeping. Bautista has a terrific eye and does a good job getting on base, it's just he's never hit for a high BA. The last couple years he had what, a 10-11% BB rate? That's crazy for a part time player.

What impresses me is that AA's done a real good job of buying low on a lot of guys. Lewis isn't our future LF or leadoff man, but given the alternatives for $75 thousand bucks he's a great addition and has been pretty good at getting some speed into the lineup. That and the fact that they're spending a ton of money on international FA's, which is something that hasn't been done in a while. It's one year but he's done a very nice job so far.

Nofear
07-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I think for all intents and purposes he was filling out the roster with players because we weren't exactly competing this year, instead of purposely ignoring OBP. Gonzo was specifically taken to force Boston to sign Scutaro so we'd get the picks, and to help the pitchers with his defense. There were no real standouts at catcher (they all were pretty similar) so Buck wasn't a bad choice. There was no reason to non-tender Bautista, as his versatility + his ability to crush LHP made him worth keeping. Bautista has a terrific eye and does a good job getting on base, it's just he's never hit for a high BA. The last couple years he had what, a 10-11% BB rate? That's crazy for a part time player.

What impresses me is that AA's done a real good job of buying low on a lot of guys. Lewis isn't our future LF or leadoff man, but given the alternatives for $75 thousand bucks he's a great addition and has been pretty good at getting some speed into the lineup. That and the fact that they're spending a ton of money on international FA's, which is something that hasn't been done in a while. It's one year but he's done a very nice job so far.

This is a prefect post. It sums up AA major league moves perfectly

In addition to what Twitchy wrote, for me, I don't think you can't blame AA for anything so far as all his big clubs additions (Buck, Gonzo, Lewis etc...) are all pure stop gap measures at reasonable cost. They've all probably exceed what he hoped for which makes AA look just that much better.

The real moves are the ones thats are for the future. The foreign FA signings are huge, the stocking of the farm is huge and the draft is huge. AA has scored big points in all these areas. He's also added people to an already impressive scouting team (impressive as in some excellent scouts just very low quantity of them) and he's laid out a stategy thats clear and executable.

If AA stays on course, he's going to get us a fine ball club withing 3-4 years.

The inevitable comparisions to to the man he replaced at this point is unfair. I think JP made mistakes right from the get go even though he was treated by fans like a Yeomen. JP's mistakes IMO were his plan was too big and it focuses solely on operating at the big league level. JP needed to outplay the other GM's on the big stage and he couldn't do it so he quickly shifted gears and started signing FA's. That lead to his demise

AA on the other hand has a more executable plan and that plan doesn't really on him outwitting other GM's. Its also not a plan that must be operated at the major league level thus its cheaper and easier.

AA has 100% of my trust right now because he's expanding areas of the team that the Blue Jays can be on even ground with the rest of the teams. Going head to head at the majors with the Yankees money is a mistake but going at them head to head in the minors can succeed. If you need to go into a money battle, it clearly a better option outbidding and overpaying people for a 17 year old or a Dickie Thon. The expansion of the scouts is a low cost high reward idea which is a great move.

Building a better scouting staff and stocking up the farm with assests its clearly going in AA's favour. In three years, what AA does with those assests will define him as a GM.

wamco
07-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Bautista gets on base at a very good rate.

Like a sub 330 career obp or so

Gibby
07-12-2010, 05:31 PM

i wouldnt say AA doesnt value OBP because of the Buck and Gonzo signing. These guys were stops gaps who could be had at a cheap prices. We should look at draft picks, trades, and long term big FA signings. I think AA getting Brett wallace was a sign that he values OBP. because he wanted to put wallace as our future 1b and in the middle of the order. thats the type of player he wants to build around.

broncosfan_101
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
i wouldnt say AA doesnt value OBP because of the Buck and Gonzo signing. These guys were stops gaps who could be had at a cheap prices. We should look at draft picks, trades, and long term big FA signings. I think AA getting Brett wallace was a sign that he values OBP. because he wanted to put wallace as our future 1b and in the middle of the order. thats the type of player he wants to build around.

A guy with a 6.8% BB rate and .357 OBP in 800+ AAA PA's doesn't exactly scream "I LOVE OBP!!" to me. I really hope Brett can improve in this area down the road, because he doesn't have the elite power to make up for just a decent OBP.