PDA

View Full Version : Miami Heat Make 'Compelling' Offer To Fisher

JordansBulls
07-11-2010, 12:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5369580

Team president Pat Riley and owner Micky Arison met with free agent point guard Derek Fisher for three hours at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in downtown Miami on Saturday and made Fisher a "compelling" offer, an NBA source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

According to the source, the Heat told Fisher they envision him as their starting point guard and will hold off on offers to other players while he made his decision.

Fisher has stated consistently that his preference was to return to the Lakers, but that he wanted to explore his options.

Negotiations between the Lakers and Fisher remain positive, according to sources close to the discussions. Still, the free-agent negotiating period began July 1, and official signings started taking place Thursday.

During that time Fisher has had multiple conversations with both Kupchak and Riley.

Earlier in the week, Bryant expressed support for Fisher, who entered the NBA with him back in 1996.

"We need to have him back, it's as simple as that," Bryant told ESPNLosAngeles.com's McMenamin at his Kobe Bryant Skills Academy on the UC Santa Barbara campus. "It's not a question of if he will be back; it's a matter of when.

"I don't care what [the cost] is. ... They need to work that out and get him back because his significance to our ballclub and to me cannot be understated."

Last week, a source close to the negotiations told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that the Lakers are confident the point guard will return to the Lakers next season.

But the Heat may not let that happen.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Just like I asked in the other thread...how in the world is Pat Riley creating cap space out of nothing??

I have yet to see someone write up on how the Heat is legally going to make all these signings given their cap situation.

h2r09
07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
pat rtiley has like 8 million or something around there after the big 3 and chalmers.

Raidaz4Life
07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Works for me. Let them overpay for Fisher.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 12:32 PM
pat rtiley has like 8 million or something around there after the big 3 and chalmers.

OK so he's offering 5-6 million per year to Mike Miller, so he's down to 2 million.

He renounced the rights to Haslem and Joel Anthony to acquire this much cap space, so consequently the Bird Rights to them are gone as well.

So...how??

And he's supposedly offering a 'compelling' offer to Fisher :rolleyes:

Rocco007
07-11-2010, 12:34 PM
As The Phil Jackson Era comes to a close, Laker fans need to start accepting the transition of change in personnel...Steve Blake is on board and it just may be his turn at greatness...With that said, I hope DFish makes the decision that will make him happy as he plays out the last chapter of his career...He deserves to go out on his terms...He knows his value to and admiration he has from, his LA Team mates and fanbase regardless...:clap:

h2r09
07-11-2010, 12:35 PM
OK so he's offering 5-6 million per year to Mike Miller, so he's down to 2 million.

He renounced the rights to Haslem and Joel Anthony to acquire this much cap space, so consequently the Bird Rights to them are gone as well.

So...how??

hes not offering 5-6 million for miller. just because the average contract on a 5 yr 25 million contract is 5 mil, doesnt mean he is getting 5 in the first year of the deal. he could be getting 4 and then it goes up every year.

WE still have the bird rights to joel. and haslem is taking less and probably getting a bigger deal next year or is really ****ing loyal to us.

also, a compelling offer doesnt necessarily have to be money wise.

Raidaz4Life
07-11-2010, 12:36 PM

So...how??

I would assume he is offering him a 3 year deal hahaha.

daleja424
07-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Miami has around 8 mil in cap space. With that they will be signing Mike Miller and resigning Haslem. That also includes the qualifying offer to Joel, which allows Miami to match offers. Then Fisher would be offered the vet min.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I would assume he is offering him a 3 year deal hahaha.

Fine by me, whatever.

Miami has around 8 mil in cap space. With that they will be signing Mike Miller and resigning Haslem. That also includes the qualifying offer to Joel, which allows Miami to match offers. Then Fisher would be offered the vet min.

Vets min? And 'Laker fans' say that Jerry Buss is 'lowballing' him? :facepalm:

So I assume the rest of your roster will be filled up by vets min guys?

NBA-GMaster
07-11-2010, 12:40 PM
I dont mind if the heat dont get him, there's another good vet pg and his name is Jason Williams..

MiamiLoyal926
07-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Even laker players are considering jumping ship to Miami!?!?

lol i'm just baiting and teasing (and joking)... i do think he will stay in la and is using us as leverage. I welcome him in MIA though and would be astonished and a bit inclined to think that even laker players are afraid.

h2r09
07-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Fine by me, whatever.

that could be a way to put it to jerry buss. saying he would rather leave and play for the vet minimum which is still almost 2 million and play with 3 superstars rather than continue to be disrespected with the offers he keeps getting from the lakers.

daleja424
07-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Fine by me, whatever.

Pat Riley has asked him to play a big role for this team, where as Buss has already signed his replacement...

h2r09
07-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Pat Riley has asked him to play a big role for this team, where as Buss has already signed his replacement...

exactly, and not only that, but he signed his replacement for more then he is willing to give him despite all the years of huge shots and solid veteran leadership that he has given to that franchise, that would piss me off as well.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Replacement? Blake was supposed to be the backup point guard, if Fisher decides to stay.

If not, then Blake would be his replacement.

nstojic
07-11-2010, 12:50 PM
compelling offer??? hahha for a chance to ride the coattails of james/wade, a $20 bill, a $10 meal voucher, and free parking, per game, would be a compelling offer hahahahaha

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 12:50 PM

ding ding ding
not sure how Laker fans don't see this point without it having to be brought up.

shep33
07-11-2010, 12:51 PM
LA offered him $2.5 mill for 1 year, and after meeting with the Heat they increased the offer. Miami can't pay more than the Lakers.

Hawkeye15
07-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Replacement? Blake was supposed to be the backup point guard, if Fisher decides to stay.

I think Blake was indeed signed for insurance.
And quite honestly, its a formality any free agent would do, visiting other teams. Fisher will probably be a Laker next season

infernoscurse
07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
maybe the pay is less but riley is offering to pay his house and food for a whole year and also by switching him to geico where he will see a lot of profit with the savings

Avenged
07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Heat fans aren't sold on Fisher but believe me, if you guys sign him, you guys will be very grateful to have him. Especially down the stretch when Lebron or Wade are being heavily covered.

Aside from that, he'll give you a veteran presence and a leader to settle down Wade, Lebron, and Bosh as well as bring them together when things aren't looking so bright.

h2r09
07-11-2010, 12:55 PM

wouldnt that piss you off if you give years and years of hard work and solid leadershiop and play and then right after a championship season they give your backup 4 million per year but dont want to pay you? that is ****ed up

kjoke
first lebron james and the other 2 werent gonna go to Miami, then dan gilbert was
'never' gonna sign and trade lebron, now fisher would never sign with the heat.

h2r09
Heat fans aren't sold on Fisher but believe me, if you guys sign him, you guys will be very grateful to have him. Especially down the stretch when Lebron or Wade are being heavily covered.

Aside from that, he'll give you a veteran presence and a leader to settle down Wade, Lebron, and Bosh as well as bring them together when things aren't looking so bright.

we are absolutely sold on him. his great veteran leadership and steadiness would be a huge get to fill out the roster and start at pg.

Bubba17
07-11-2010, 01:04 PM
where the hell did all these heat fans come from?

ohhh, nevermind :rolleyes:

ABOMB_56
07-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Didn't they sign Blake to a contract that is worth more then what they were offering Fisher?

billyocean15
07-11-2010, 01:07 PM
damnn kobe gon be pissssed if this happens

RCarlson85
07-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Just like I asked in the other thread...how in the world is Pat Riley creating cap space out of nothing??

I have yet to see someone write up on how the Heat is legally going to make all these signings given their cap situation.

Don't be scared.

ddaughtry
07-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I am compelled to believe Derek Fisher will retire a Laker. Period.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 01:14 PM
wouldnt that piss you off if you give years and years of hard work and solid leadershiop and play and then right after a championship season they give your backup 4 million per year but dont want to pay you? that is ****ed up

Didn't they sign Blake to a contract that is worth more then what they were offering Fisher?

One is 30, the other is 36 playing his 15th season. One is shooting better numbers overall, the other gets blown by quicker guards day and night. I hope you guys can tell which is which.

Don't be scared.

Who's scared? I think the one who wanted to piggyback on two other superstars for a shot at a ring??

ABOMB_56
07-11-2010, 01:17 PM
One is 30, the other is 36 playing his 15th season. One is shooting better numbers overall, the other gets blown by quicker guards day and night. I hope you guys can tell which is which.

Who's scared? I think the one who wanted to piggyback on two other superstars for a shot at a ring??

Point taken. But all I'm saying is that I would be pissed if they asked me to be the "starter" but were paying the back-up more than they were paying me. He may be the "starter" with the Lakers, but I would be willing to bet Blake will get more minutes

h2r09
07-11-2010, 01:19 PM

and yet he has led you to like what, 6 championships or something around there? he is still a solid pg and a great guy to have in the locker room and is a class act that has given everything to your organization, and now when he wants to re up you give his backup more money and wont give him what he wants?

that is why he wants to leave. you will eventually give in to what he wants though and he will resign.

SouljahPhil...
07-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Point taken. But all I'm saying is that I would be pissed if they asked me to be the "starter" but were paying the back-up more than they were paying me. He may be the "starter" with the Lakers, but I would be willing to bet Blake will get more minutes

That will be the case..It only helps him conserve his energy for the playoffs..

Plus it his for his own good also...He is not that young anymore..

justinnum1
07-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Doubt he comes to miami, but if he did it would be hilarious. It would be a blatant smack in the face to the lakers.

XDanny18
07-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Fisher knows if he wants more championship rings he better sign with Miami.

SouljahPhil...
07-11-2010, 01:21 PM
and yet he has led you to like what, 6 championships or something around there? he is still a solid pg and a great guy to have in the locker room and is a class act that has given everything to your organization, and now when he wants to re up you give his backup more money and wont give him what he wants?

that is why he wants to leave. you will eventually give in to what he wants though and he will resign.

I'm glad your not our gm...ugghh...

kobebabe
07-11-2010, 01:22 PM
I am not concerned at all. They (Miami) did the same to odom last yr, didn't they?? He didn't take the offer coz he wanted to be back where he belonged. So does fisher. He will retire as a laker n he knows that. He is just playing a mind game with mitch n buss so he can get the money he so deserve!

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Point taken. But all I'm saying is that I would be pissed if they asked me to be the "starter" but were paying the back-up more than they were paying me.

Well fact is the backup IS better than him. We are doing him a favor by inserting him into the starting 5 if he does come back.

He may be the "starter" with the Lakers, but I would be willing to bet Blake will get more minutes

Which I think should be the case. Blake would be more productive given the same minutes that were given to Fisher last year.

Sadds The Gr8
07-11-2010, 01:31 PM
If i was a Laker fan i'd be pissed @ Fisher for joining the dark side

ABOMB_56
07-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Well fact is the backup IS better than him. We are doing him a favor by inserting him into the starting 5 if he does come back.

Which I think should be the case. Blake would be more productive given the same minutes that were given to Fisher last year.

I understand that, but if he isn't worth paying the money for, and Blake IS better than him, why he even get bent out of shape if he leaves. Blake is more than an adequate replacement and paying Fisher for what he had done, isn't a smart business or basketball decision

Badluck33
07-11-2010, 01:36 PM

So...how??

He is going to use the bird rights on wade. wade hasn't signed yet and wont til the roster is complete so figure they have 20million to spend.

SouljahPhil...
07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
He is going to use the bird rights on wade. wade hasn't signed yet and wont til the roster is complete so figure they have 20million to spend.

It does not work that way...

L4B1W3
07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Fisher will retire his Jersey to the Lakers =p ....just Hire Back J-Wyl w/ Shaq lolz

ABOMB_56
07-11-2010, 01:42 PM

False. Wade Signed a 6 year/107.5 million dollar deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5368003

h2r09
07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I am not concerned at all. They (Miami) did the same to odom last yr, didn't they?? He didn't take the offer coz he wanted to be back where he belonged. So does fisher. He will retire as a laker n he knows that. He is just playing a mind game with mitch n buss so he can get the money he so deserve!

odom was also taking significantly less to come to miami and the fact that his decision took so long should be more concerning to you rather then something to brag about.

Frezhnitz
07-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Fisher knows if he wants more championship rings he better sign with Miami.

IF he wants more rigs, he would choose the Lakers.

domz248
07-11-2010, 01:48 PM
do people not understand that fisher was a back up on the jazz and warriors before he came back ??? he only started on the lakers because we had no better option ... he did come up clutch many times and we do owe him everything but what type of pg plays a whole 40 without recording 1 stat ??? look it up he did it many times ... i bet you blake won't play 40 and go 0-0-0

Frezhnitz
07-11-2010, 01:48 PM
odom was also taking significantly less to come to miami and the fact that his decision took so long should be more concerning to you rather then something to brag about.

Concern about fisher?

Melo15
07-11-2010, 01:49 PM
If Fisher signs with Miami then I will be scared of that team. He would be able to help them mesh so much better and be able to give those guys ego checks. However, I doubt he leaves LA but who knows.

Frezhnitz
07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
If Fisher signs with Miami then I will be scared of that team. He would be able to help them mesh so much better and be able to give those guys ego checks. However, I doubt he leaves LA but who knows.

Why be scared? Hes not gettig any better.

h2r09
07-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Why be scared? Hes not gettig any better.

because we would have3 superstars, a steady veteran pg who is an amazing locker room presence, a knockdown 3 pt shooter in miller, a great defender and loved guy here in miami in haslem, and lots of other veterans begging to come here.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 01:58 PM

So the fact that Odom did come back after dragging on his decision for so long should scare us? What?? :eyebrow:

ABOMB_56
07-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Fine by me, whatever.

PG. Fisher/Chalmers
SG. Wade/Miller/Butler
SF. Bron/Miller/Butler
PF.Bosh/Haslem/Varnado
C.Big Z/Joel Anthony/Pittman

That is a pretty good team with decent depth.

Frezhnitz
07-11-2010, 02:00 PM
because we would have3 superstars, a steady veteran pg who is an amazing locker room presence, a knockdown 3 pt shooter in miller, a great defender and loved guy here in miami in haslem, and lots of other veterans begging to come here.

No, you have two super star. Bosh is not one. Hes an elite player only. Having them don't guareentee a championship. You guys still have to see how it works out.

LA_Raiders
07-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Riley is an ***... D Fish moved to LA because of his child, he is not going to Mia. Riley just pulling some BS here...

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 02:01 PM
PG. Fisher/Chalmers
SG. Wade/Miller/Butler
SF. Bron/Miller/Butler
PF.Bosh/Haslem/Varnado

Who's Butler?

Frezhnitz
07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
PG. Fisher/Chalmers
SG. Wade/Miller/Butler
SF. Bron/Miller/Butler
PF.Bosh/Haslem/Varnado

Not enough to take down the champs yet.

Avenged
07-11-2010, 02:05 PM
So the fact that Odom did come back after dragging on his decision for so long should scare us? What?? :eyebrow:

A lot of Heat fans are just throwing that line out there without even realizing what's being discussed. "You scared" and my absolute favorite Heat fans love saying "You mad?".

Raps18-19 Champ
07-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Don't they have the MLE?

Mell413
07-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Who's Butler?

DeSean(sp?)

h2r09
07-11-2010, 02:19 PM

the fact that he dragged his decision for so long when the choice was to take a lot more money to be on a championship team in the lakers and take like 5-6 million per year to be with the heat on a non contending temam doesnt concern you. why would it be made to be such a hard choice?

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Don't they have the MLE?

Not sure if "they" refers to the Heat or to the Lakers. If it's the Heat, then no they don't have the MLE because they were under the cap at the beginning of free agency. If it's the Lakers, then we already spent most (except for 1.8 mil) of our MLE to Steve Blake. We don't need to tap into our MLE for Derek Fisher though, because we got his Bird Rights.

the fact that he dragged his decision for so long when the choice was to take a lot more money to be on a championship team in the lakers and take like 5-6 million per year to be with the heat on a non contending temam doesnt concern you. why would it be made to be such a hard choice?

...¿Qué?

Truheatfan
07-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Even laker players are considering jumping ship to Miami!?!?

lol i'm just baiting and teasing (and joking)... i do think he will stay in la and is using us as leverage. I welcome him in MIA though and would be astonished and a bit inclined to think that even laker players are afraid.

yeah were pretty much leverage but fish would be a great asset to the heat!

your sig is ****ing histerical man :laugh::laugh:

h2r09
07-11-2010, 02:29 PM
...¿Qué?

how is it possible that you dont understand what i wrote. it really doesnt get much simpler then how i put it.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 02:35 PM
A hard (maybe) choice, yes, but he still came back to the Lakers. I don't see your point at all.

ABOMB_56
07-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Who's Butler?

Desean Butler from WVU.

My roster that I proposed was assuming that they sign all 3 of their rookies and put them on their 12 man roster right away. Butler is still recovering from his knee surgery so he may be signed to the NBADL. Varnado is stll raw so maybe he is on the NBADL roster as well, same with Pittman.
Essentially they have 9 veterans, the 3 rookies if they choose to sign them and put them in right away.

However, there have been rumors of Q-Rich coming back as well as Juwan Howard so the roster could look something like this:

PG. Fisher/Chalmers
SG. Wade/Q-Rich/Butler
SF. Bron/Miller/Q-Rich
PF. Bosh/Haslem/Howard
C. Big Z/Anthony/Pittman

shizzle09
07-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Fine by me, whatever.

Derek Fisher is going nowhere. this is just like the Odom situation last year. No way leaves LA to play in Miami. Both teams are nearly co fave's in vegas so why would you leave the team you've played with for years and won rings with to play with a team that is supposed to battle the lakers. I dont even think Fisher would leave if we offered more money to be honest. As for how Riley is doing all this, he's a mother freaking genius. thats how. Waves his wand and BAM more cap space.

nanablvd
07-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Rumors are saying the Lakers have upped their offer to Fisher before he went to meet Pat Riley. It depends on difference between the Heat's "compelling offer" and the Lakers' latest offer. I still think the Lakers will get him close to $8million for 2 years, and the Heat wouldnt raise too much from it if they want to sign Mike Miller. Fisher will be a Laker due to loyalty reasons.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I still think the Lakers will get him close to $8million for 2 years

:speechless:

:facepalm:

HabsFan87
07-11-2010, 03:06 PM
No way in hell Fish goes to Miami unless they decide to over pay for his services.

RaiderLakersA's
07-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd like Fisher to stay with the Lakers, but if another team outbids the Lakers for his services, so be it. He is at the end of his career and we all know that he'll probably never see this kind of money thrown his way again.

Not all money is good money, but in this case, the man needs to make sure that his family is provided for in the future. (What if, God forbid, his daughter's cancer should return?) A father's gotta do what a father's gotta do.

If D. Fish signs with another team, I'll still be a huge fan...except for when he's playing against the Lakers.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 03:28 PM
If D. Fish signs with another team, I'll still be a huge fan...except for when he's playing against the Lakers.

If D. Fish signs with another team, then he would be an arrogant pompous bastard who thinks so much highly of himself.

HabsFan87
07-11-2010, 03:40 PM
If D. Fish signs with another team, then he would be an arrogant pompous bastard who thinks so much highly of himself.

Dude I don't agree at all. Their professional athletes, their not owned by the damn teams they play for. Get some common sense before you post something again.

hgtiger32
07-11-2010, 04:07 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but...
Bosh- $14.5 million
James- $14.5 million
Wade- $14.2 million
-------------------
That comes to $43.2 million and the cap is $59 million. So roughly $16 million to spend?

Like i said correct me if I'm wrong...

dtmagnet
07-11-2010, 04:30 PM
He'll be a Laker again next year.