PDA

View Full Version : "The Decision" and the decision

thekmp211
07-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I have to say, in the past couple days the amount of mindless ranting on this board has been pretty disappointing.

There are always nuts but I like to think that PSD has a strong community of basketball fans who are thoughtful and intelligent.

Everyone agrees that LeBron made a fool out of himself by creating this spectacle. He let his ego take charge, and simultaneously scorned a city that worshiped him on national tv. There's no dismissing that.

However, I find it odd that people are extrapolating from his classlessness that the move to Miami was selfish and contrived.

All us hardcore sports fans hate the ego of athletes. Time and time again players are convinced that they are annointed to become winners and spurn the opportunity to create a great time in exchange for more money. The contracts, the crippled franchises, everything about it has become a bloated money pit.

So here we have the best player in a sport taking (slightly) less money to team up with like-minded young talents. Forgoing a chance at personal glory to attain a higher goal. This should be a dream come true! Finally, a young player gets it.

But no. Instead he is maligned for "taking the easy way out". For "being a coward". He has "ruined the league" and will "never be Jordan".

What the hell is this all about? I can understand Cavs fans just hating the guy. I get it. But just hate him because he screwed over your franchise, not because he went to Miami.

Fans of the other suitors? If they had chosen your team it would be a different story. "LeBron just knew he wanted to win so he went to Chicago." Or New York. Or whatever team you like. It's just bitterness.

As for his legacy? If they win multiple titles, I think LeBron will say take the Jordan comparisons and shove them up your ***. He is a winner and wants to win. The fact that that drives him, and not his personal legacy (a la Kobe), is admirable. We are being selfish as fans if we are mad that LeBron becomes Magic and not Jordan. Grow up.

Not to mention, the league isn't ruined. Last I checked the two best teams in the league last year included none of these players. If anything, the chance to take down a media-friendly dream team will motivate these professionals to work harder than ever on their game. The league isn't going to lie down and die. I'm excited to see where this takes the league as a whole.

LeBron is 25 year old kid. Saavy and powerful beyond his wildest dreams. All this attention was bound to get to him. He was going to slip. But I hated his demeanor not his choice. And I think his choice was the right one.

So, if you are going to bash LeBron, bash him for his ego and his immaturity. Bash him for being to egocentric to realize the effect of his decision. But don't bash him for where he went or why he went, because he was justified in every sense to make those decisions. Not trying to bait or rile anyone up, but lets be thoughtful about this.

Any thoughts

R_O_W_E
07-10-2010, 04:13 PM
I like you so I am going to read this thread.

As for his legacy? If they win multiple titles, I think LeBron will say take the Jordan comparisons and shove them up your ***. He is a winner and wants to win. The fact that that drives him, and not his personal legacy (a la Kobe), is admirable. We are being selfish as fans if we are mad that LeBron becomes Magic and not Jordan. Grow up.

This is exactly what he wants to do. He doesn't want the individual acclaim that comes with being David Stern & Nike's appointed "heir" to Jordan's legacy. He wants to be known as a great player synonymous for a great team with other great players around him. Jordan symbolizes individual greatness more than team greatness. Magic & Bird symbolizes team greatness more than individual greatness.

Ethix11
07-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Your not baiting. He was justified in making that decision. All along he said he wanted to go to the team with the best chance of winning. Riley will get them help and its just so sad to see so many people hate out of bitterness. When the Heat were being critisized for being a bad team and that Wade would leave, we fans kept our mouths shut and knew that he would stay because he was going to get the help he had been asking for all this time. We waited 2 years of gutting our team for this chance and we get **** from other fans who didn't sacrifice as much and still think their team was the better choice for LeBron. All LeBron cares about is rings and if when its all said and done, he has 8 or 9 of them, nobody will be comparing Michael to LeBron because nobody will care about that anymore.

thekmp211
07-10-2010, 04:22 PM
lol thanks rowe i like you too

C_Mund
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Thoughtful and well-put.
I agree with most of what you said, but I think that every fan's opinion is going to come down to whether or not believe that winning is everything, and whether there are multiple paths to winning, some of which commanding more respect.
Bill Simmons put it in terms that made it very easy to understand....we now have a Yankees of basketball. This is partially true because they didn't completely buy their team, but these signings were obviously well orchestrated over a period of time, and the entire "free agency frenzy" was something that was created by both the media and the players but ultimately was only a cover story when the real article had already been written. Therein lies the problem.
This isn't about sports, this is about image. These guys are trying so hard to brand themselves that the championships that they may well compile over the next decade aren't in the name of sportsmanship or competition, but in the name of legacy. They don't want to be known as fierce competitors that were on the grind then finally got that elusive ring. They'd rather say "we're better than most of these other players, so if we all got together, who else could possibly beat us?" It's not illegal, just kind of douchy.
I guess all that I'm trying to say is that this is like a game of pick-up where instead of winning by holding court, the three best players ditch their teams and win 11-2 for the rest of the day. Yup, the best team for sure, but if I wanted to see teams dominate and strut and dance I'd buy the Fashion channel

C_Mund
07-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I like you so I am going to read this thread.

This is exactly what he wants to do. He doesn't want the individual acclaim that comes with being David Stern & Nike's appointed "heir" to Jordan's legacy. He wants to be known as a great player synonymous for a great team with other great players around him. Jordan symbolizes individual greatness more than team greatness. Magic & Bird symbolizes team greatness more than individual greatness.

I have to disagree with this, mang, When Lebron was asked his goals last year, it didn't even pertain to basketball. He wanted to be an icon. Winning is the only way he can start to take the next level with his branding

JordanPippen
07-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Your not baiting. He was justified in making that decision. All along he said he wanted to go to the team with the best chance of winning. Riley will get them help and its just so sad to see so many people hate out of bitterness. When the Heat were being critisized for being a bad team and that Wade would leave, we fans kept our mouths shut and knew that he would stay because he was going to get the help he had been asking for all this time. We waited 2 years of gutting our team for this chance and we get **** from other fans who didn't sacrifice as much and still think their team was the better choice for LeBron. All LeBron cares about is rings and if when its all said and done, he has 8 or 9 of them, nobody will be comparing Michael to LeBron because nobody will care about that anymore.

Nah buddy. Not according to this thread started by the HEAT moderator

Check Sig

R_O_W_E
07-10-2010, 04:33 PM
I have to disagree with this, mang, When Lebron was asked his goals last year, it didn't even pertain to basketball. He wanted to be an icon. Winning is the only way he can start to take the next level with his branding

I agree. However his legacy has changed. Wade & LeBron are going to be tied to each other for now on in terms of each player and their success, you can't discuss 1 without the other.

This is what Kobe wanted to avoid IMO. Before he had Shaq dealt to Miami, you could mention Kobe but eventually Shaq's name would come up. They were tied together through their success. Now when you talk about Kobe in the present tense you don't mention another basketball player as being tied to his success with 2 back to back rings. Im not discounting Gasol by saying that, I am just saying Kobe is Option A while Gasol is playing Option B. LeBron & Wade will be Option A1 and Option A2.

Illinirob83
07-10-2010, 04:37 PM
It was contrived. They had this planned all along...go read what ZO said about it recently. They knew this was going to happen long ago.

NBA fans want the best to play against the best..not join forces to create a superteam so they can dominate the NBA and have fun on south beach. The lack of competitive will and toughness displayed by the "king" is what is so disappointing. He can do what he wants....go win titles in wade's county...but who cares once you do? What was the big accomplishment in this? Where was the hard work and determination that took to build that championship? There is none. If FA"s want to conspire in their primes to join superteams, the league dies.

Jaji
07-10-2010, 04:41 PM

:love:

j/k

Chronz
07-10-2010, 04:45 PM
All I ask from psd is for the contradictions to end. How people can say its a meaningless ring if they win yet at the same time saying they are a flawed team lacking depth to win

Illinirob83
07-10-2010, 04:49 PM
All I ask from psd is for the contradictions to end. How people can say its a meaningless ring if they win yet at the same time saying they are a flawed team lacking depth to win

Yeah because everyone here on PSD have the same mind and are all drones. :facepalm:

Master Mind
07-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I have to say, in the past couple days the amount of mindless ranting on this board has been pretty disappointing.

There are always nuts but I like to think that PSD has a strong community of basketball fans who are thoughtful and intelligent.

Everyone agrees that LeBron made a fool out of himself by creating this spectacle. He let his ego take charge, and simultaneously scorned a city that worshiped him on national tv. There's no dismissing that.

However, I find it odd that people are extrapolating from his classlessness that the move to Miami was selfish and contrived.

All us hardcore sports fans hate the ego of athletes. Time and time again players are convinced that they are annointed to become winners and spurn the opportunity to create a great time in exchange for more money. The contracts, the crippled franchises, everything about it has become a bloated money pit.

So here we have the best player in a sport taking (slightly) less money to team up with like-minded young talents. Forgoing a chance at personal glory to attain a higher goal. This should be a dream come true! Finally, a young player gets it.

But no. Instead he is maligned for "taking the easy way out". For "being a coward". He has "ruined the league" and will "never be Jordan".

What the hell is this all about? I can understand Cavs fans just hating the guy. I get it. But just hate him because he screwed over your franchise, not because he went to Miami.

Fans of the other suitors? If they had chosen your team it would be a different story. "LeBron just knew he wanted to win so he went to Chicago." Or New York. Or whatever team you like. It's just bitterness.

Not to mention, the league isn't ruined. Last I checked the two best teams in the league last year included none of these players. If anything, the chance to take down a media-friendly dream team will motivate these professionals to work harder than ever on their game. The league isn't going to lie down and die. I'm excited to see where this takes the league as a whole.

LeBron is 25 year old kid. Saavy and powerful beyond his wildest dreams. All this attention was bound to get to him. He was going to slip. But I hated his demeanor not his choice. And I think his choice was the right one.

So, if you are going to bash LeBron, bash him for his ego and his immaturity. Bash him for being to egocentric to realize the effect of his decision. But don't bash him for where he went or why he went, because he was justified in every sense to make those decisions. Not trying to bait or rile anyone up, but lets be thoughtful about this.

Any thoughts

:clap:

Master Mind
07-10-2010, 05:00 PM
It was contrived. They had this planned all along...go read what ZO said about it recently. They knew this was going to happen long ago.

NBA fans want the best to play against the best..not join forces to create a superteam so they can dominate the NBA and have fun on south beach. The lack of competitive will and toughness displayed by the "king" is what is so disappointing. He can do what he wants....go win titles in wade's county...but who cares once you do? What was the big accomplishment in this? Where was the hard work and determination that took to build that championship? There is none. If FA"s want to conspire in their primes to join superteams, the league dies.

3 players doesn't make a team. And though it may have been planned they're all friends, what's wrong with wanting to play with your friend. From watching Lebron's documentary "More than a game" way before this free agency fiasco I came to the conclusion that above all he's more about being a close knit unit, in a family oriented environment and he's made the best choice for himself.

Tmath
07-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Great players should be spread out through all the teams thats why they have max contracts and salary cap not so they can take less and all be on 1 team. I just don't like the direction this league is heading its just becoming boring to me watching the same big market teams making the finals every year.

magichatnumber9
07-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Any thoughts
Yeah, I don't want to read all this ****.

netsgiantsyanks
07-10-2010, 05:25 PM

:eyebrow:

*Superman*
07-10-2010, 05:27 PM

:laugh:

ombada
07-10-2010, 05:41 PM

^^^This is truth^^^

and consider what its like for fans of teams with small markets, whos team tries soooo hard to win while staying under the luxery tax. Now those fans dreams of winning a title, or at least putting together a run are probably being crushed. Not every organization can offer a winning brand of basketball on a consistent basis and have to build towards winning, this makes the chances of those possibilities a lot lower.

dtmagnet
07-10-2010, 06:17 PM

They obviously will win, the whole situation is just fishy.

thekmp211
07-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I don't want to read all this ****.

thanks, ***. just dont respond next time.

thekmp211
07-10-2010, 06:41 PM

shouldve dropped a no homo