PDA

View Full Version : Should Cleveland Rebuild Immediately?

R_O_W_E
07-10-2010, 03:42 PM
You see that they are already taking down any and everything that features LeBron, but it makes you wonder when or if they are going to be able to get rid of all of the players they put around LeBron these last 2 years when they tried to win.

They're already shopping West and Mo Williams. Does it make sense for them to keep Jamison as well? Moon? Parker? They should let these guys go elsewhere to compete on another team, while Cleveland gets back young talent and more draft picks. They tanked for LeBron, maybe they can get lucky and tank in 2011 for a top pick to rebuild around.

It wont be the same without LeBron on that Cavs team. It will probably be depressing to their fans seeing the same team on the court, but out there without LeBron. None of these guys fit together without LeBron scoring and setting them up for shots.

By rebuilding immediately, I am talking about dumping most of these guys before the season even starts.

Celtic AL
07-10-2010, 03:45 PM
yeah! the Hated Miami Hate ruined the Cavs! i just hope cleveland gets some talent in the draft

hype707
07-10-2010, 03:45 PM
might aswell to bad noone wants to come play there

Catfish1314
07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I would. To win with the team they have they need a major star to anchor things. They aren't going to just find one on the street and now that LeBron is gone, I can't see them competing with the top 5-6 teams in the East.

GMs covet guys like Anderson Varejao and Mo Williams (rich man's Bibby) would be the perfect backcourt mate to a guy like Joe Johnson. Jamison can still play too. Load up on picks and young talent and go from there. It sucks for the Cavs but it's time to start over.

Melo15
07-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I think they should start immediately but the problem is their owner preached to their fan base that they will be trying to win a championship in the next few years. That puts them in a bad place. They should try and get Al Jefferson from the T'Wolves and then maybe sign some guys like Tracy McGrady so that they can still get fans to fill the seats.

Chi-Town Sports
I would aswell but i dont think the Cavs will get the talent they deserve in return until the trade deadline

R_O_W_E
might aswell to bad noone wants to come play there

Yeah. If I were Cleveland I'd just dump guys for some expirers.

Trade 1- Denver & Cleveland (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2a8dh73)

Trade 2- Memphis & Cleveland (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2axvau9)

Throw a 1st Round Pick In Those Trades Above.

They could always dump a player like Varejao off to the Jazz for their Boozer Trade Exception and get a 1st Round Pick from Utah.

Hellcrooner
shoul they yes.

will they.

its fdifficult unless they want to trade everything for exprings.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 03:56 PM
There owner has stated that they don't want to rebuild. They still have some solid players and are rumored to be in the mix for jefferson. their owner also said that he is willing to go over the cap in order to create a winning team

VIP1349
07-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Quite frankly they should dump anyone they can. I just don't see them competing as currently formed, maybe keep Mo' Williams who is right now the man on that team. If they can swing that deal for Al Jefferson they need to do it then from there they need to start dumping guys like Anderson Varejao & Antawn Jamison. One thing they really need to do with all this is force Daniel Gibson out because his contract is very bad, make a team take him. At the end of the day I think you keep Mo Williams as well as J.J. Hickson, try to pull off the Al Jefferson trade and then fire sale the rest of the team for younger guys/expirings/draft picks.

xabial
07-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I would. To win with the team they have they need a major star to anchor things. They aren't going to just find one on the street and now that LeBron is gone, I can't see them competing with the top 5-6 teams in the East.

GMs covet guys like Anderson Varejao and Mo Williams (rich man's Bibby) would be the perfect backcourt mate to a guy like Joe Johnson. Jamison can still play too. Load up on picks and young talent and go from there. It sucks for the Cavs but it's time to start over.

Dan will never acknowledge its time to rebuild. He already guarenteed his team will win a championship before the Heat. A person who says that doesnt rebuild.
He's like Isiah Thomas never acknowledging your team ***** while keeping your large contracts, and probably trading for longer contracts in the quest for a championship. I dont know how that will pan out, but the smart thing to do is rebuild, and trade for draft picks.

R_O_W_E
07-10-2010, 03:58 PM
There owner has stated that they don't want to rebuild. They still have some solid players and are rumored to be in the mix for jefferson. their owner also said that he is willing to go over the cap in order to create a winning team

Im sorry but their owner was just ranting. He knows that they have to rebuild in order to get to a Championship. A Max FA isn't falling into their laps anytime soon without LeBron there.

R_O_W_E
07-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Dan will never acknowledge its time to rebuild. He already guarenteed his team will win a championship before the Heat. A person who says that doesnt rebuild.
He's like Isiah Thomas never acknowledging your team ***** while keeping your large contracts, and probably trading for longer contracts in the quest for a championship. I dont know how that will pan out, but the smart thing to do is rebuild, and trade for draft picks

Exactly.

I love xavial.

Ethix11
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
They need to rebuild right now. Go the OKC route and you will quickly forget this ever happened.

weeman323
07-10-2010, 04:02 PM
IMO, I think the NBA should adopt as pick compensation like the NFL and MLB. Were a team gets a pick in the draft depending on the player they lost. I would also love to see something ala franchise tag, to avoid situation like these happen(teams losing superstar without compensation).

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Would anyone really want their pieces? I would try and fire sale the team for young prospects and as many trade picks in the next 3 years as possible. Do it like OKC/Seattle did

R_O_W_E
07-10-2010, 04:04 PM
IMO, I think the NBA should adopt as pick compensation like the NFL. Were a team gets a pick in the draft depending on the player they lost. I would also love to see something ala franchise tag, to avoid situation like these happen(teams losing superstar without compensation).
Teams already get a pick compensation. They work out S&T's to get picks in the future.

I dont think a Franchise Tag is needed. Teams already have the rights to a star player for 5 years and most of the time guys sign an extension to stick around anyways.

PrettyBoyJ
07-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I think need to stop talking and jus make moves quietly cuz there gonna look stupid at the end of the day when they cant deliver these promises dan gilbert is making... I say go after Arenas cuz they need a scorer..

what54!?
07-10-2010, 04:06 PM
what other choice do they have. Who is supposed to carry to that team Mo Williams?

R_O_W_E
07-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Would anyone really want their pieces? I would try and fire sale the team for young prospects and as many trade picks in the next 3 years as possible. Do it like OKC/Seattle did

Yes.

If Cleveland makes them available for expirers and some late 1st Round Picks, I think plenty of teams would try to grab them.

Imagine the Lakers making this deal:

Lakers-Cavs Deal (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2g245kb)

Throw in 1 or 2 1st Round Picks and the Lakers get even better.

cle12152433
07-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Cleveland needs to wipe the slate clean. LeBron James WAS a Cavalier. Not is.

Dan Gilbert ruined it for all of us. Who knows. Maybe LeBron's plan was to go to Miami, win some ships, and go back to Cleveland down the road. Gilbert ruined that.

I admit, when I first read his letter, I was all gung ho. I wanted LeBron's head on a pig pole. But in recent days I have seen the truth.

No player will want to come to Cleveland and have to put up with him. Nobody wants to be bad mouthed.

At the end of the day, I am heartbroken LeBron left. But he has that right. And Pat Riley did what Gilbert didnt. He put teammates around him. Yes, Antawn Jamison and Mo Williams are good players, but nonetheless uncomparible to Bosh and Wade.

It will take years for Cleveland to rebuild. 4-5-6 years. An I am convinced the will NEVER be as successful as they have been the past 4 years.

Nobody really cares about the Cavs anymore. I dont, atleast.

topdog
07-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I think they should rebuild, but they probably won't. Dan Gilbert has promised to win a title before the HEAT so you can tell which way he is going.

I think they assembled the team poorly - trying simply to appease Lebron without planning to have deals expire this year and overpaying role players.

The best route would seem to be trade picks and the TPE for Al Jefferson, keep Jamison and Mo Williams. Then, try to trade Hickson (because he might bring back some quality talent, maybe packaged with West) and just about everyone else on the roster. That approach worst case gives you a line-up of Williams, Gibson, Jamison, Jefferson and Hickson although maybe a trade for Dalembert could help and then look for a shooting guard.

topdog
07-10-2010, 04:14 PM

Dan Gilbert ruined it for all of us. Who knows. Maybe LeBron's plan was to go to Miami, win some ships, and go back to Cleveland down the road. Gilbert ruined that.

I admit, when I first read his letter, I was all gung ho. I wanted LeBron's head on a pig pole. But in recent days I have seen the truth.

No player will want to come to Cleveland and have to put up with him. Nobody wants to be bad mouthed.

At the end of the day, I am heartbroken LeBron left. But he has that right. And Pat Riley did what Gilbert didnt. He put teammates around him. Yes, Antawn Jamison and Mo Williams are good players, but nonetheless uncomparible to Bosh and Wade.

It will take years for Cleveland to rebuild. 4-5-6 years. An I am convinced the will NEVER be as successful as they have been the past 4 years.

Lebron wasn't coming back. period.

Cleveland did whatever the hell Lebron wanted and that was the problem. They hired his friends and let him pick their trade targets then watched as they all played spectator as Lebron put up shots until it was crunch time and he wanted to pass to them.

What kind of fan is that?! Oh yeah, a "fair-weather fan..."

dimedrpr
07-10-2010, 04:17 PM
If I was the Cavs I would try to move Mo Williams to Indiana for Dunleavy's expiring contract and McRoberts since they are in desperate need for a PG. I would talk to the Hornets right now to see if there is any way they can pry Collison away for Jamison and one of those Miami 1st round picks. If that's not possible, I would hang on to Jamison until the trade deadline and then move him to a contending team who could give up a young player or a draft pick and an expiring contract player.

I know Byron Scott didn't take that job to coach a rebuilding team but I don't see what choice they have. If they don't blow up the team, they are going to be a 40 win team at best for the next few years.

cle12152433
07-10-2010, 04:18 PM
What kind of fan is that?! Oh yeah, a "fair-weather fan..."

Maybe so......

I have always been a Cleveland fan, and when LeBron was drafted I was 10, just starting to get into sports.

So maybe I have a right to be dissapointed when THE BIGGEST SPORTS ICON I have ever known leaves town.

R_O_W_E
07-10-2010, 04:22 PM

You shouldn't say that.

If Cleveland puts a young exciting core together of high character players like OKC, Portland, Chicago, Philly, Memphis, and even the Kings are doing I think the fans will gravitate back to the Cavs. They have an owner who at least is extremely active with his team and is willing to go the extra mile. All Cleveland needs is to have a young core of 3 guys to raise the hopes for their fans.

There are 2 guys right down the road in Columbus who could represent 2 members of that core with Sullinger & Buford.

ldc62
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
IMO, I think the NBA should adopt as pick compensation like the NFL and MLB. Were a team gets a pick in the draft depending on the player they lost. I would also love to see something ala franchise tag, to avoid situation like these happen(teams losing superstar without compensation).

Teams lose star players all the time in the NFL.... however, there are 22 starters (11 in O and D right?) in the NFL only 5 in the NBA. Thats why it wouldn't work.

Jack Daniels
07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Honestly I don't see the Cavs getting a marquee player again unless Gilbert sells the team. His rant seriously did not help his cause. What player would want to play for an owner that would turn on them and call them someone with no heart if they decide to leave...No One.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
You see that they are already taking down any and everything that features LeBron, but it makes you wonder when or if they are going to be able to get rid of all of the players they put around LeBron these last 2 years when they tried to win.

They're already shopping West and Mo Williams. Does it make sense for them to keep Jamison as well? Moon? Parker? They should let these guys go elsewhere to compete on another team, while Cleveland gets back young talent and more draft picks. They tanked for LeBron, maybe they can get lucky and tank in 2011 for a top pick to rebuild around.

It wont be the same without LeBron on that Cavs team. It will probably be depressing to their fans seeing the same team on the court, but out there without LeBron. None of these guys fit together without LeBron scoring and setting them up for shots.

By rebuilding immediately, I am talking about dumping most of these guys before the season even starts.

I can't believe I actually agree with you. I worry though that there will be a kneejerk reaction in Cleveland to stay competitive to attempt to stick it to LeBron, and they will make dumb moves between now and October.

XDanny
07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
they have to rebuild. they have some bum *** ****** on the team and they'll be stuck in 8th seed hell.

smith&wesson
07-10-2010, 04:30 PM
yes, absolutley.

phoenix_bladen
07-10-2010, 05:11 PM
they could gamble on gilbert arenas with that TPE

lol

i think he's the only big name guy they could get that could be worth the risk

Raoul Duke
07-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Now is their best chance to unload the talent they have and get a boatload of draft picks in return, and then completely bottom out.

The Raven
07-11-2010, 07:54 AM
If i were them i would. Its not like they are going to win a championship with the team they have now. I doubt they even contend for one anyway. SO best bet is to start over and move on. Clean the slate and just start over rather then try and win a championship now with the team you have because its not happening