PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Carracter: Bring your game, not your name

JNA17
07-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Caracter is going after every player that was drafted ahead of him. "Bring your game, not your name," is his new motto.

http://twitter.com/A...tus/18210552214

Caracter Proving Doubters Wrong: Throughout the draft process, Derrick Caracter proved that he could hang with the top prospects in this class. He was dominating workouts and saying all of the right things in interviews. But on draft night, teams were still scared to take a risk on the big man because of his well documented red flags. Caracter had changed his attitude, lost forty pounds, and emerged as a leader but the mistakes he made as a high schooler were coming back to haunt him.

When the Los Angeles Lakers finally took a chance on him with the fifty-eighth pick, Caracter vowed to go after the players chosen ahead of him on draft night. When the Las Vegas Summer League kicked off on Friday, Caracter started this process by going after Greg Monroe.

Caracter would finish the game with 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks. Some are already declaring him the steal of the draft and many others will jump on the bandwagon if he continues proving himself against the top talents of the class. Because he was a late second round selection, Caracter's contract is not guaranteed but he has made a great case for himself in recent weeks.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16765

i love this kid already! :clap: Him and Ebanks have been proven to be quite a steal thus far.

New Power House
07-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Caracter is the steal of the draft among the bigs. He look like a 4 or 5 first round pick yesterday. I want to see him against Big Baby! He is a player and the Lakers won the lottery along with the promising Ebanks!

dodgerfan87
07-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Let's win the damn thing with these boys and Kobe in the future!

BlueCrew2009
07-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Watching the game yesterday until it was *interrupted*, these two seriously impressed me. Ebanks seemed to move effortlessly just as TA used to. The Triangle will fit him so well, he's long, athletic and could make the midrange jumper with consistency. Caracter was someone who really opened my eyes, I wasn't sure what we had in him but he battled every possession out there. Tough, physical dude who can certainly give us a lot more than Powell could. Thinking about possibly seeing them play live sometime next week.

Young$avage
07-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Welcome to LA, DC.

Purple&Gold24
07-10-2010, 03:35 PM
WOW if these two turn out to be steals...thats just freakkk greatt! I just hope they get enough minutes to develop thier games to higher levels. I say we don't resign Powell or Mbenga..Resign then Sign and trade Sasha and Walton for either bell or T-mac.

JNA17
07-10-2010, 03:39 PM
honestly, i don't mind seeing ebanks being the backup SF and DC being the backup center. To me, it's just resign fisher, sign T-Mac, Barnes, or Bell and call it an off-season.

Raidaz4Life
07-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I haven't been this pumped about draft picks since Bynum, I definitely like these two.

Avenged
07-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Caracter would finish the game with 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks.

Impressive.

Raidaz4Life
07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Impressive.

His low post game is extremely impressive, especially that left hand baby hook.

Hellcrooner
07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
hope they dont get cut as we usually do with second rounders.

Raidaz4Life
07-10-2010, 03:53 PM
hope they dont get cut as we usually do with second rounders.

I'm pretty sure with all the open roster spots we can make room for the two, especially if they show promise for the future during the summer league.

x_notorious
07-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Caracter is this years DeJuan Blair. I like his chances making the squad as a back-up big man.

Raidaz4Life
07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Caracter is this years DeJuan Blair. I like his chances making the squad as a back-up big man.

If it comes down to him or Mbenga then so do I.

KillaInstinct24
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
He certainly has character...har har har!

Lakersho
07-10-2010, 04:18 PM
...i watched the game , and i gotta say both play way ahead of the spots they were picked in. caracter plays like a top 5 and ebanks probably 7 to 15 which is pretty impressive. they are steals and i hope we keep'em , hell they are cheap play smarter than powell , i love congo cash but i'd have to take a chance on caracter...they could really become solid players with a high growth ceiling.the great thing is they are non gauranteed contracts they either play thier butts off or bye bye....

Lakers211221
07-10-2010, 04:27 PM
If we sign Fisher (which I think is going to happen), we will have 9 players under contract leaving 4 open spots...if we sign these 2 promising young players (at least hoping they are promising, it has only been 1 summer league game each), we will still have 2 roster spots remaining...we could sign a SG/SF vet with our remaining MLE and bring back either Powell or MBenga to give us a vet big

Vinylman
07-10-2010, 04:35 PM
If we sign Fisher (which I think is going to happen), we will have 9 players under contract leaving 4 open spots...if we sign these 2 promising young players (at least hoping they are promising, it has only been 1 summer league game each), we will still have 2 roster spots remaining...we could sign a SG/SF vet with our remaining MLE and bring back either Powell or MBenga to give us a vet big

we have 15 slots not 13... how many we fill is up to management...

Lakers211221
07-10-2010, 04:54 PM
^^^Are you sure? We only had 13 players on our team last year

Rskinz101
07-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Im from El Paso and saw UTEP in almost every home game and i promise you Derrick Caracter was a beast here he helped us reach the NCAA tournament in just 1 year he was in the team. He is a steal and i think he would be a great PF for us and he can shoot also so he's gonna be a double threat down low and at the top. Looking at the roster and we really have no other big men other then Odom and i really think Carracter can beat out are other forwards, Josh Powell, Morrison, Walton. I really like his chances.

Rskinz101
07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I say cut Morrison and Mbenga and let Shannon and Farmar walk. We already got Blake now re sign Fisher and sign 2 key players that can help us out off the bench. I would like to get Barnes and Bell.

Raidaz4Life
07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
we have 15 slots not 13... how many we fill is up to management...

we rarely ever use more than 13 players on a roster though.

JNA17
07-10-2010, 05:15 PM

that's why we go with this rotation.

PG: Fisher/Blake/Fisher
SG: Kobe/T-Mac/Sasha
SF: Artest/Ebanks/Luke
PF: Gasol/Odom/Gasol
C: Bynum/DC/Bynum

perfect :D

Young$avage
07-10-2010, 05:25 PM
that's why we go with this rotation.

PG: Fisher/Blake/Fisher
SG: Kobe/T-Mac/Sasha
SF: Artest/Ebanks/Luke
PF: Gasol/Odom/Gasol
C: Bynum/DC/Bynum

perfect :D

Beautiful off season right there. Also if we want to go big, T-Mac can fill in a Ron Harper role to Kobe's MJ.

evadatam5150
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Im from El Paso and saw UTEP in almost every home game and i promise you Derrick Caracter was a beast here he helped us reach the NCAA tournament in just 1 year he was in the team. He is a steal and i think he would be a great PF for us and he can shoot also so he's gonna be a double threat down low and at the top. Looking at the roster and we really have no other big men other then Odom and i really think Carracter can beat out are other forwards, Josh Powell, Morrison, Walton. I really like his chances.

9 Fouls...!!! LOL Nice.. Something he will need to work on for sure but sounds impressive for sure.. I think what really helps this guy and what sets him apart from past picks is the fact that he can Pass.. Good low post player who can shoot the rock and pass is someone who usually stays on management radar..

BigGuy951
07-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm loving these picks! I hope they make the team, they could save us $$ and really make a positive impact. I still want T-Mac real bad.

Vinylman
07-10-2010, 05:50 PM

last year... sure ... year before that no... rarely? not even close

doesn't really matter though... my point was that he thought we ONLY had 13 positions... that is inaccurate... we have 15

Makakiluminati
07-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I am very pleased with the fact that the Lakers drafted tough players. Caracter is a massive dude, and can bang hard. Rebounds win championships, and this kid can rebound. Hopefully Kareem can teach the kid some post offense and expand his game some, but he's got a lot of potential and upside as long as he makes an effort to get better. I hope these two kids take advantage of the chance they have, to get playoff experience and be productive members of a championship team. I hope every Laker plays with a chip on there shoulder, because people seem to forget WE ARE THE CHAMPS, and I hope these kids can help remind people, Miami has superstars, but teams win championships.

Lakers211221
07-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm watching these 2 play against Denver's summer league team right now...they both look like they are worth roster spots...I would take both of them over Josh Powell and DJ MBenga

Lakers211221
By the way, Ebanks not only plays very similar to Ariza, he looks like he could be his younger brother lol

Kevj77
I'm watching the Lakers summer league team right now. Caracter and Ebank look like the real deal. Everytime Ebanks touches the ball the announcers mention how much he reminds them of Ariza. Caracter goes after the rebound and has some post game.

I think they will make the team.

Vinylman
07-10-2010, 06:59 PM
they both look good today...

its scary how much ebanks actually looks like ariza on the court...

DC had a nice half also 14/7

Green on the other hand doesn't have a prayer of making the team the way he is playing...

Lakers211221
07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
^^^I agree...the only players on the Lakers squad that look like they are worth watching are Ebanks and Character

Raidaz4Life
07-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Caracter definitely has a lot of potential and I can see Ebanks becoming a great role player. Both players I have noticed are very raw though. A lot of untapped potential in both guys.

evadatam5150
07-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately this game with Ebanks and Caracter playing big minutes Denver is getting a lot of Offensive rebounds.. Not good.. Lakers shooting 40%..

Damn someone on Denver just went down and is in a lot of pain.. Who was that..??

loveofthegame87
07-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Saw it too look like his knee cap was caved in.

Kobe's Disciple
07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
By the way, Ebanks not only plays very similar to Ariza, he looks like he could be his younger brother lol

http://files.myopera.com/sirvancelot/albums/847148/ebanks_ariza.jpg

evadatam5150
07-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Got to be honest here.. These guys are hard to watch.. I know it's about seeing what your new guys can do but the thing is, it's apparent they can't do much (the squad not just the 2 new pics).. Ebanks needs a lot of work.. Sadly, no one on the floor for the Lakers understands defense.. Eh... It's just one game but wow it's tough to get excited about anything I just saw..

Caracter is the better of the two in my opinion, but the Lakers best look elsewhere for help as both need a good deal of refinement..

Raidaz4Life
07-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Got to be honest here.. These guys are hard to watch.. I know it's about seeing what your new guys can do but the thing is, it's apparent they can't do much (the squad not just the 2 new pics).. Ebanks needs a lot of work.. Sadly, no one on the floor for the Lakers understands defense.. Eh... It's just one game but wow it's tough to get excited about anything I just saw..

Caracter is the better of the two in my opinion, but the Lakers best look elsewhere for help as both need a good deal of refinement..

I actually agree. Neither will be able to contribute right away however I do see a lot of upside in both.

vblewis
07-10-2010, 08:44 PM
They are young but both have talent and more importantly youth. We need some young players that we can develop. I like them in summer league.

JNA17
07-10-2010, 08:52 PM
they had a decent 2nd half. They have some areas they need to work on of course but once again, i was impressed on their play

Burleson81
07-10-2010, 08:59 PM
honestly, i don't mind seeing ebanks being the backup SF and DC being the backup center. To me, it's just resign fisher, sign T-Mac, Barnes, or Bell and call it an off-season.

Agree. Maybe add Thomas if there's room.

still1ballin
07-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I hope they both makes team

Lakers211221
07-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Wouldn't you rather have these 2 over guys like Morrison and Powell?

PGLakers
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
i havent seen them play...i m sure they would make the roster given we dont it filled that much...i just hope they can play against the real nba players.

Lakers211221
07-10-2010, 09:59 PM
^^^Ty Lawson and Kobe Karl are 2 NBA players that were against them (grant they are not the best, but still NBA players)

Vinylman
07-10-2010, 11:15 PM

not nitpicking but did you watch the whole game?

Ebanks is light years ahead of ariza at the same point...

DC has a very high basketball IQ... of course he might be a mental case but that will change on a team of vets

Anyway, the Lakers summer league team is absolute garbage so i would encourage people to focus on the little things these guys are doing rather than how the team performs... its not like these two have a good PG setting them up... how good would they have looked today if ty lawson was playing with them...

Anyway... i hope the lakers keep both... ebanks on the big club and DC to the Defenders so he can play and stay in shape :D

New Power House
07-10-2010, 11:32 PM

DC has a very high basketball IQ... of course he might be a mental case but that will change on a team of vets

Anyway, the Lakers summer league team is absolute garbage so i would encourage people to focus on the little things these guys are doing rather than how the team performs... its not like these two have a good PG setting them up... how good would they have looked today if ty lawson was playing with them...

Anyway... i hope the lakers keep both... ebanks on the big club and DC to the Defenders so he can play and stay in shape :D

Lakers will invite them to preseason camp and then maybe both will get sign. Caracter is better than Powell no argument about it. Ebanks is ready to fight for the spot. The rest of the team is garbage and this does not help them much,but they are showing the desire and the skills that will help them to stay.

New Power House
07-10-2010, 11:34 PM

Also,the coach is not that good.

New Power House
07-10-2010, 11:38 PM

No one can deny it!:rolleyes: These two guys is their first two games and they are coached by a dummy. They are surrounded by dummies and they are showing skills and poise. Seriously,the centers and the PGS are very bad!:facepalm:

Teeboy1487
07-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I like Caracter and Ebanks. They really have some nice potiential. They just need more games under their belt. It looks like Ebanks has already improved his range since college and Caracter has lost 30 pounds. Their work ethic seems to be great. Those two have definitely stood out the most so far considering most of the guys on that Laker summer team has more games under their belt than Caracter and Ebanks. Right now, they are raw. I can see them contributing in a couple of years. Maybe sooner.

gr824
07-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Lakers will invite them to preseason camp and then maybe both will get sign. Caracter is better than Powell no argument about it. Ebanks is ready to fight for the spot. The rest of the team is garbage and this does not help them much,but they are showing the desire and the skills that will help them to stay.

You have it backwards ... The players have to sign contracts in order to come to training camp ...

The problem with draft picks is that, once they sign, they have to be kept on the 15-man roster in order for the organization to retain their rights. If they sign, go to camp, yet ultimately get waived, then the Lakers would lose their rights to them ...

Therefore, the Lakers will sign Ebanks and/or Caracter ONLY IF the organization is basically certain they are good enough to make the 2010-2011 Lakers. Otherwise, they will keep their rights and stash them somewhere overseas for 'seasoning', as was done with C. Elonu, their 2009 second round pick ...

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 12:11 AM
You have it backwards ... The players have to sign contracts in order to come to training camp ...

I think he meant guaranteed contracts.

gr824
07-11-2010, 12:16 AM
I think he meant guaranteed contracts.

Perhaps ... But that distinction really does not matter relative to the bigger point I was making with the rest of my post ...

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
yeah but you scrutinize posts too much haha

KobeBeatJeeesus
07-11-2010, 12:42 AM
I say cut Morrison

Morrison is purely trade bait for teams looking for cap space. He is literally worth his weight in gold plus a little extra.

lakers4sho
07-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Morrison is a FA already.

Iceman_9
07-11-2010, 12:47 AM
they were impressive.

Vinylman
07-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Morrison is a FA already.

he is available for S&T though... not that anyone will do it :D

Cooper
07-11-2010, 01:29 AM
My guess is that both will make the team. Players at the bottom of the roster generally dont play much, i.e. Morrison and Powell. What they bring to the table is threefold....athletic ability, promising upside, and small salary figures.

At this point, Ebanks is already a better option at small forward than Walton. He is actually more likely to score points for the Lakers than for the opponents! He played for Bob Huggins, and that man teaches relentless defense!

Can Caracter be any less effective on the floor than Powell or Mbenga? I dont see how....no, i think both of these guys make the team.

Storch
07-11-2010, 01:42 AM
I see that we have our new backup SF in Ebanks and our new Josh Powell in Caracter. Sounds good to me, pick em up mitch. Our core is the important part.

Fisher/Blake
Kobe/Vujacic
Artest/Walton/Ebanks
Gasol/Odom/Caracter
Bynum/Gasol/Mbenga

Looks like a legit 12 man team, we can keep Mbenga inactivated and have lets say bell/tmac/brown/barnes active if any of which are signed.

evadatam5150
07-11-2010, 02:49 AM

Absolutely.. When you consider that both Morrison and Powell rarely saw any action during the season it's an absolute push in my opinion.. Both look to be physically gifted guys that have plenty of upside.. In my opinion the team doesn't lose a step by taking a chance on either guy..

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-11-2010, 03:15 AM

indeed, he looks like his twin brother

and caracter looks like big baby, only little thinner lol

PraiseJesus
07-11-2010, 05:07 AM
he seems like a fine young man.

who doesn't have 'red flags' at 18 19 years old???

great pick by the Lakers

Andrew Bogus
07-11-2010, 05:34 AM
get ebanks already.

i remember someone here comparing ebanks' game to that of ammo from last year's summer league. i beg to differ. adam 'dominated' that summer league taking an unbelievable number of outside shots. ebanks is doing it ala-ariza, going inside, posting, slashing, going after loose balls. i've been watching the nba for years now and this is probably the only laker summer league that i'm excited to watch.

so get him. like, now.

kblo247
07-11-2010, 06:50 AM
I see that we have our new backup SF in Ebanks and our new Josh Powell in Caracter. Sounds good to me, pick em up mitch. Our core is the important part.

Fisher/Blake
Kobe/Vujacic
Artest/Walton/Ebanks
Gasol/Odom/Caracter
Bynum/Gasol/Mbenga

Looks like a legit 12 man team, we can keep Mbenga inactivated and have lets say bell/tmac/brown/barnes active if any of which are signed.

DJ isn't staying with the team. In fact every article has said he is looking for playing time.

I think the 2 rookies make it, Fish returns, LA gets 2 vets (a swingman and a big).

The rooks take the 11th and 12th spot, playing spot minutes and practicing with the team like, Walton did as a rookie.

Sadly, I think Luke will be the 13th man and basically out the majority of the year with that back :(

Iceman_9
07-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I hope pjax will give these rooks time to prove themselves...

J4KOP99
07-11-2010, 10:48 AM
If Caracter plays like he is capable of playing, he will be a solid big man coming off of the bench. It looks like his head is finally on straight and that he is willing to work hard. If those two things prove to be true, we have quite the steal.

s2kobe
07-11-2010, 11:04 AM
great pick ups

Vinylman
07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
DJ isn't staying with the team. In fact every article has said he is looking for playing time.

I think the 2 rookies make it, Fish returns, LA gets 2 vets (a swingman and a big).

The rooks take the 11th and 12th spot, playing spot minutes and practicing with the team like, Walton did as a rookie.

Sadly, I think Luke will be the 13th man and basically out the majority of the year with that back :(

no chance... if they both make the team there will be at a minimum of 14 on the roster and more than likely 15...

maybe gr824 can explain but if the lakers sign say 3 guys to the vets minimum then their salaries are partially paid by the league and aren't part of the luxury tax... correct?

Also, do 2nd round picks count against the LT?

Raidaz4Life
07-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Our boys Caracter and Ebanks are at the top of the summer league rookie ladder

http://www.nba.com/rookieladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Pretty impressive for 2 second rounders

gr824
07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
no chance... if they both make the team there will be at a minimum of 14 on the roster and more than likely 15...

maybe gr824 can explain but if the lakers sign say 3 guys to the vets minimum then their salaries are partially paid by the league and aren't part of the luxury tax... correct?

Also, do 2nd round picks count against the LT?

I agree with your point that the Lakers will carry 'extra' players on their roster this season [ 14 or, maybe, 15 instead of 13 ], if both Ebanks and Caracter make the final roster ...

Also, as I understand the whole vet's minimum 'thing', the league treats all veterans as if they are two-year minimum players when it comes to team salary, the Cap, and the LT. In other words, if the Lakers were to sign a ten-year player to a minimum contract, his salary for 2010-2011 would be about $1.35 million. However, the league would reimburse the Lakers for all his salary payments in excess of about $0.855 million, the vet's minimum for a two-year vet AND would require the Lakers to pay any LT owed only on the amount of the net salary after the reimbursement, NOT the gross $ value ...

Second round picks do not count against the Cap automatically [ as firsts do ] because they do not have predefined contract/salary structures 'attached' to their rights. However, all first round and second picks count toward the LT once they are signed and earning salary [ total team salary paid ( with very few exceptions ) is used to determine any LT owed ] ...

DoubleDragon
07-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Welcome to LA, DC.

The Lakers could always use more "character"....:o:rimshot:
somebody had to say it...

no?

okay

nevermind

Young$avage
07-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Our boys Caracter and Ebanks are at the top of the summer league rookie ladder

http://www.nba.com/rookieladder/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Pretty impressive for 2 second rounders

These picks are looking more and more better with each day. I'm proud of Ebanks and DC.

RoyalG333
07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
once again a great job by the FO in the draft. I think both picks will be guys who will find a niche in the rotation. We have our own Big Baby now with Caracter and a guy who can really help our athleticism in Ebanks.

gr824
07-11-2010, 02:06 PM
get ebanks already.

i remember someone here comparing ebanks' game to that of ammo from last year's summer league. i beg to differ. adam 'dominated' that summer league taking an unbelievable number of outside shots. ebanks is doing it ala-ariza, going inside, posting, slashing, going after loose balls. i've been watching the nba for years now and this is probably the only laker summer league that i'm excited to watch.

so get him. like, now.

Ebanks and Caracter have been the bright spots ... and I am enjoying seeing them work hard. Overall, though, I have been somewhat frustrated and disappointed by what I have witnessed from this Laker Summer League team so far:

Guard play:

Jaaber has gotten the majority of 'run' at the point and he has had some positive moments [ for instance, 12 assists with only 4 TOs in two games ]. But he apparently cannot shoot very well and his passing, though not frequently errant, seems somehow often off the mark nonetheless. Not a camp prospect to this point as far as I can see ...

Strawberry has shown a flash or two defensively [ 1 steal, 1 block ] and has hit his FTs [ 7-9 ] and shot 50% from the field. However, he seems almost totally wild within the offense [ 8 :speechless: TOs, only 1 assist ] and he is shooting only 20% on his 3s. He will have to step it up a lot if he wants to be the new 'DJ' on the champion's roster ...

Robinson I like, but, truth be told, he does not really have a great deal to show for his efforts to date either. He gets after it defensively, though he seems more 'active' than 'effective' [ think a quicker, more athletically gifted version of Vujacic ]. Offensively, he is more versed in the triangle, but he was still having trouble getting to his 'spots' versus the Nuggets' defense. Robinson has hit 50% from the field [ 33% on 3s ], but, even so, 5 PPG in 11 MPG is only marginally impressive when it comes to fillin' it up offensively at this level. He is on the fence vis-a-vis a camp invite at this stage ...

Brown seems a tad of a mystery at this point because of limited minutes on the court [ 12 MPG ] and fewer chances to dominate 'on the ball' like Jaaber and Strawberry are. But he seems to handle himself well defensively and in the open court [ nice fast break assist to an Ebanks' dunk in garbage time yesterday ] and, although he has missed all four shots he has taken so far in two games in Vegas, he has a D-League history as a great 3-point shooter [ 44.2% in 73 career games ]. Has not earned a camp invite yet, but he has three more games in which to shine and impress ...

Green is still athletic and 'frisky' [ to the point of being nearly frenetic ], but he does not seem all that much more fundamentally sound now than in the past. Maybe the Laker coaching staff can 'fix' this guy ... But I doubt it from what I have seen this weekend. No camp invite likely yet ...

Forward/Center play:

Sanborn was disappointing yesterday. Once he settled in, he did get some boards [ 6 ] and he blocked 2 shots, but with his skillset and solid college history, I expected a better showing from him. He may be intimidated by this level of competition [ which does not bode well for him if true ] or, perhaps, he is simply bewildered by the triangle and it has thrown off his whole game [ which, maybe, could be 'corrected' ]. Nevertheless, based on this one game in which he has played, Sanborn is not going to be one of the bigs the Lakers are looking for to man the bench ... No camp for him as of now ...

Kurz is hustling hard to become the Lakers' Matt Bonner ... But I do not see it happening at the moment [ his numbers say a 12/8 man if he were to get starter minutes against Summer League foes, but I say it is largely a mirage ]. I do not think the Lakers will see enough here to bring him to camp ...

Sims is a big, long 'body' who makes the occasional startling, brilliant move/play, then literally disappears on the court for huge chunks of playing time [ think Diop without the defensive prowess ]. This guy may be the best available center for the Summer League, but I do not see him as a prospect for action beyond ...

McCauley, who was impressive last year in Summer League, has not even played thus far in the two contests completed this summer ... Either the Lakers have given up on him or, more probably, he will see a tremendous amount of PT in Games Three, Four, and Five alongside Ebanks and Caracter ...

Vikes_Fan04
07-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Gotta love that Caracter is in attack mode right now. Hopefully if he makes the squad he doesn't soften up.

showtime24
07-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I love the character

both DC & Ebanks needs to make the team

sign them now mitch!

BlackMambaKBB24
07-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Being from TX and watching all of UTEP and DC's home games he has a great upside. He will be a solid player for the lakers off the bench..This might surprise all of you but the most recent player he reminds me of and with time can develop into is Elton Brand in his early years. DC has great inside moves with the ability to step out, along wiht his strentgh, and aggressive rebounding style he could grow into a great PF for the Lakers.

Anilyzer
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
wow. Lakers draft grade on MSNBC should go from "C-" to a solid "A", considering they got two first rounders in the second round, including possibly the best PF in the draft!!

Anilyzer
07-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Also, much of his "well publicized problems" were simply that Rick Pitino is an egotistical idiot, a screamer and a wanker. That's it. Rick Pitino tried to blow him out, because they lost in the Final Four and he wanted to make a show of blaming someone.

DC could be the power PF that the Lakers have needed for YEARS, maybe even DECADES... and Ebanks, from what I've read, is like a better version of Ariza. With Laker's coaching and mentoring, both of these players should develop.

I still favor keeping either Powell or Mbenga, one or the other. Obviously Morrison is gone, unless if there are no takers he could sign a minimum deal here, or possibly a sign and trade to Utah or somewhere. Farmar gone. Fisher or Shannon will be gone looks like. Walton could/should retire. Lakers are improving... they have a much deeper team than Miami...

gr824
07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
wow. Lakers draft grade on MSNBC should go from "C-" to a solid "A", considering they got two first rounders in the second round, including possibly the best PF in the draft!!

... or maybe none of us should read anything written on MSNBC ever again ... :cool:

:D :D :D

24/7 All Day
07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
caracter is damn good. his game reminds me of david west (part looks too, see sleeve on elbow)

STEAL.

but whos the last player that we drafted that made the roster on opening day?i know drew, but any second rounders?

ebanks and caracter HAVE GOT TO MAKE THE ROSTER.

caracter gives us a carl landry/big baby off the bench. ebanks gives us some length, athleticism.

24/7 All Day
07-12-2010, 05:09 PM
damn, js read some additional notes on DC.

at age 15, his hype was of the magnitude of that of Lebron's and OJ Mayo's. damnnn.

i knew he was a top hs prospect but lebron level hype?! ?!

Raidaz4Life
07-12-2010, 05:16 PM

at age 15, his hype was of the magnitude of that of Lebron's and OJ Mayo's. damnnn.

If he can lose a little more weight I can definitely see him getting back to his HS potential.

J4KOP99
07-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Yeah, you guys out in LA don't understand just how hyped this guy was. I went to see him play a lot and he was the real deal. His head got in the way.(or lack thereof)

still1ballin
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
He fouls alot. He picked up 4 fouls in the 1st quarter in todays game

Raidaz4Life
07-12-2010, 05:32 PM
He fouls alot. He picked up 4 fouls in the 1st quarter in todays game

He fouls a lot and he turns the ball over a lot.

Margie
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Things that can be taught. Stop nitpicking.

Raidaz4Life
07-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Things that can be taught. Stop nitpicking.

What are you talking about? I praise the guy on a regular basis but sorry for not pretending he is the second coming of Shaq.

gr824
07-13-2010, 11:58 AM
He fouls a lot and he turns the ball over a lot.

Caracter does turn the ball over too much [ 3 games, 6.3 TOPG ] ... Plus, he evidently commits fouls at a pretty 'unhealthy' pace as well [ 3 games, 7 PFPG ]. But both those tendencies could be exaggerated by unique Summer League conditions that he is unlikely to face going forward:

Part of the reason for the turnovers is the fact that he is getting double- and even triple-teamed frequently whenever he receives the rock down on the block. In these Summer League games, he will attract that kind of attention [ and get little protection from it from the referees ] because he is probably the sole offensive threat down low that this team has. If he were playing in the context of the 'true' Lakers, even as a 'sub', there would be others on the court with him who would 'require' the attention of the defense to be focused more so on them, thus Derrick would be likely to face single coverage -- which he can certainly handle -- the majority of the time ...

Also, some of the turnovers are coming from failure to keep the ball high on rebounds and moves to the basket, a typical flaw of young bigs and one which often is readily corrected. The Laker coaching staff should be able to 'fix' him in this regard fairly quickly, assuming that practicing daily with the likes of Gasol, Bynum, and Odom does not in and of itself [ Plus, by practicing with the Laker vets, Caracter should pick up the options within the triangle for passing out of 'trouble' in the post, which probably will cut out a lot of his TOs as well. ] ...

The fouls may be more difficult to eliminate, though a couple of current factors give me hope:

For one thing, I am sure part of the reason Caracter is fouling so much is because he can, meaning he knows he can squirrel up ten fouls in a game before he is permanently seated for his indiscretion. Six or seven fouls in Summer League and a player is not even really in foul trouble nor is he likely to lose playing time because of that number of fouls. In an NBA context, that is certainly not the case, so, in an NBA game, I am sure his mindset would be different going in ...

Secondly, many of Caracter's fouls in these games have come late [ for instance, he was fouling a lot in the fourth quarter of Game One versus Detroit ]. I suspect that quite a few of them are either fatigue fouls, since Caracter has been playing 34 MPG [ out of a possible 40 MPG ], and/or, perhaps, pressure fouls, in light of the fact that Caracter has been on the floor extensively in the fourth quarter of these games. In a regular Laker context, Derrick will not be on the court for those kind of minutes -- even if he eventually backs up both Bynum and Gasol, I would be very surprised if he would play more than 20 MPG -- and he will probably not be on the floor much at the end of games [ except in garbage time ] until quite a while later in his NBA future ...

In short, the positives of Caracter's game far outweigh these two minor and probably 'correctable' flaws. He is rough around the edges, no doubt, but, thus far, he looks like a 'keeper' ...

Anilyzer
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
What are you talking about? I praise the guy on a regular basis but sorry for not pretending he is the second coming of Shaq.

Maybe the second coming of Anthony Mason, or somebody like that. From what I read they say he has more offensive skills than almost any big in the draft, and is 100% NBA ready. That was in the scouting report before the draft. He might really be a headcase or something, otherwise I'm not totally sure why he slipped so far in the draft, but apparently he is focused to become an NBA player and really has something to prove. The Lakers could be the perfect team for him.

Anilyzer
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Caracter does turn the ball over too much [ 3 games, 6.3 TOPG ] ... Plus, he evidently commits fouls at a pretty 'unhealthy' pace as well [ 3 games, 7 PFPG ]. But both those tendencies could be exaggerated by unique Summer League conditions that he is unlikely to face going forward:

Part of the reason for the turnovers is the fact that he is getting double- and even triple-teamed frequently whenever he receives the rock down on the block. In these Summer League games, he will attract that kind of attention [ and get little protection from it from the referees ] because he is probably the sole offensive threat down low that this team has. If he were playing in the context of the 'true' Lakers, even as a 'sub', there would be others on the court with him who would 'require' the attention of the defense to be focused more so on them, thus Derrick would be likely to face single coverage, which he can certainly handled, the majority of the time ...

Also, some of the turnovers are coming from failure to keep the ball high on rebounds and moves to the basket, a typical flaw of young bigs and one which often is readily corrected. The Laker coaching staff should be able to 'fix' him in this regard fairly quickly, assuming that practicing daily with the likes of Gasol, Bynum, and Odom does not in and of itself [ Plus, by practicing with the Laker vets, Caracter should pick up the options within the triangle for passing out of 'trouble' in the post, which probably will cut out a lot of his TOs as well. ] ...

The fouls may be more difficult to eliminate, though a couple of current factors give me hope:

For one thing, I am sure part of the reason Caracter is fouling so much is because he can, meaning he knows he can squirrel up ten fouls in a game before he is permanently seated for his indiscretion. Six or seven fouls in Summer League and a player is not even really in foul trouble nor is he likely to lose playing time because of that number of fouls. In an NBA context, that is certainly not the case, so, in an NBA game, I am sure his mindset would be different going in ...

Secondly, many of Caracter's fouls in these games have come late [ for instance, he was fouling a lot in the fourth quarter of Game One versus Detroit ]. I suspect that quite a few of them are either fatigue fouls, since Caracter has been playing 34 MPG [ out of a possible 40 MPG ], and/or, perhaps, pressure fouls, in light of the fact that Caracter has been on the floor extensively in the fourth quarter of these games. In a regular Laker context, Derrick will not be on the court for those kind of minutes -- even if he eventually backs up both Bynum and Gasol, I would be very surprised if he would play more than 20 MPG -- and he will probably not be on the floor much at the end of games [ except in garbage time ] until quite a while later in his NBA future ...

In short, the positives of Caracter's game far outweigh these two minor and probably 'correctable' flaws. He is rough around the edges, no doubt, but, thus far, he looks like a 'keeper' ...

Bynum is still a "fouler" sometimes, and he's been in the league, what, it seems like 10 seasons already. Anyway, I have confidence in this Caracter kid, I get the feeling that if we were in a rebuilding year or something, we could probably start him at center and be better than most of the West teams.

Anilyzer
07-13-2010, 12:09 PM
caracter is damn good. his game reminds me of david west (part looks too, see sleeve on elbow)

STEAL.

but whos the last player that we drafted that made the roster on opening day?i know drew, but any second rounders?

ebanks and caracter HAVE GOT TO MAKE THE ROSTER.

caracter gives us a carl landry/big baby off the bench. ebanks gives us some length, athleticism.

Walton was a second rounder. Fisher, AC Green, Elden Campbell, Farmar and many other (most) Laker picks were very low first rounders (25-30) those are almost like second rounders. Michael Cooper was a 5th rounder I believe.

Raidaz4Life
07-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Part of the reason for the turnovers is the fact that he is getting double- and even triple-teamed frequently whenever he receives the rock down on the block. In these Summer League games, he will attract that kind of attention [ and get little protection from it from the referees ] because he is probably the sole offensive threat down low that this team has. If he were playing in the context of the 'true' Lakers, even as a 'sub', there would be others on the court with him who would 'require' the attention of the defense to be focused more so on them, thus Derrick would be likely to face single coverage, which he can certainly handled, the majority of the time ...

I definitely agree whole heartedly with just about everything posted. i noticed the turnovers were pretty much a direct result of him getting mugged by 3 guys in the post but at the same time he seems rather slow to react to the double team which worries me. He really needs to learn to kick it out quicker and not be so sluggish with it.

As for the fouls, yeah I think he does take advantage of his 10 foul cushion but at the same time, he isn't even taking smart fouls. I see a lot of careless hacks/frustration fouls that can really turn off a championship caliber team. I'm hoping him losing more weight gives him a little more hop in his step because as I said before, he looks very sluggish at times (could be the fatigue) on both the offensive and defensive ends. If he were taller he might be able to get away with it, but he is a 6'9 275 guy playing like he is a 7'2 300+ pounder.

THAT BEING SAID. I'm definitely not trying to knock the guy or his chances of making the team. I am rooting for both guys to make the team and honestly both guys are MUCH better than I thought they would be, especially Caracter. But at the same time I still acknowledge that there are significant weaknesses to his game that MUST be corrected if he plans on contributing to this team. I am watching each game hoping he goes out there and tears it up.

XerxestheGreat
07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Some analysis of Carater's game by David Thorpe

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/9329/david-thorpe-on-derrick-caracter#more

David Thorpe on Derrick Caracter
July, 14, 2010 Jul 144:55PM PTEmail Print Comments By Brian KamenetzkyTuesday night, we posted some notes and quotes on Derrick Caracter's performance against DeMarcus Cousins as the sort-of Lakers matched up with the kind-of Kings in Vegas Summer League action.

Both of us thought he looked pretty good, all things considered- Cousins is a beast, and there's a reason some thought he was the best talent in the draft- but rather than simply take our word for it, I sat down with ESPN.com's David Thorpe, NBA analyst for ESPN.com's Scouts Inc. and the director of the Pro Training Center in Clearwater, Florida, where he oversees the player development program for college and NBA players. (Note: Caracter did some work at PTC last year, but completed the bulk of his training with one of Thorpe's assistants. This year, he trained at IMG.)

Dude knows stuff about stuff. Below are some of his more choice comments about Caracter, on both his performance Tuesday night and big-picture potential:

On his performance against Cousins: "I was really impressed. There’s not going to be a lot of guys that Derek’s going to play against that are going to be stronger than him or bigger than him, and Cousins is probably both. In that situation, you look for fight. I thought he really fought. Not only do I not think he gave Cousins an inch, I think he took it personally. Like I can play with this guy, I can pound this guy. That was the mentality. That’s the thing I took away more than anything. He went in there and really fought. He’s not going to start for the Lakers next year, but it's nice to know that if they need him to go against some of the bigger bodies out there that he’s going to bring the fight, and not just let himself get pushed around."

On the current state of his defense: “I think that in most cases, you start defensively with the willingness to defend. I always call it disposition to defend, and I think he’s going to have that without any problem. And the rest is up to the coaches to really detail a plan. The one thing I like about Derek is I think he knows what he’s supposed to do, and that’s going to play well on the defensive end of the floor. He’s going to be in the right spots. The other stuff he’s going to have to pick up, he’s going to pick up in a week or two. It’s not rocket science. Building the habits as it relates to how they’re supposed to defend certain actions within th eLakers’ structure, that’s going to take time. But some of the adjustments he has to make, the little tricks of the trade, he’s going to pick that up quickly. He’s a very natural player. The game’s easy for Derrick.”

On his ability to play at the NBA level: “The guy clearly should have been a first-round pick. A bunch of teams messed up. There’s really no other way of saying it. They couldn’t [look past his history]. And that’s their fault. The league is filled with players that have made bad decisions in their lives, or will make that bad decision while they’re in the NBA. In some respects I actually felt Derrick was less of a risk as a draft pick in the 20’s because he’s already gone through it and come out looking great.

This isn’t just a change he’s made in the last couple weeks. He made a decision last summer to change who he was, and started getting himself in better shape, and admitting that all the problems at Louisville were his fault. He blamed nobody but himself, and to me there are going to be some players in the NBA that as soon as they step in the hole, they’re not going to recover. At least you know in Derrick’s case he’s had the character- no pun intended, obviously- to recover. A lot of teams messed up, and he’s going to make them pay for it in the next four or five years.”

On what his body could look like when he's done maturing, getting into shape: “I think that he could look a lot like Karl Malone. He’s not going to play like Karl Malone, but I think he could have an unbelievable physique… The human body can transform itself dramatically. Derrick’s body can really be transformed.”

Not surprisingly, Thorpe compared Caracter to DeJuan Blair, another guy with question marks and body issues coming into the draft and has since turned into quite a steal for the Spurs. Interestingly enough, Blair shares the same agent as Caracter, and was in the stands for Tuesday's game. "I think he's a wonderful plus for the Lakers," Blair said of Caracter. "He can give Pau [Gasol] and [Andrew] Bynum some time off. He's a great player, and I think a lot of people forget about that. He's a real good player, and my hat goes off to him."

Blair said he's had a chance to speak to Caracter here and there. "I told him if he worked hard, he could get to where I am. And he's here."

It's easy to get carried away at this time of year. Especially when names like Karl Malone (or even DeJuan Blair) get tossed around. Nobody's putting Caracter on that level, but Thorpe was adamant about Caracter's ability to play at the NBA level, and that he has talent well above his draft position.

If with the 58th pick the Lakers come away with a player who can contribute to their team over the next few seasons, it would be a major victory.

Vidball
07-15-2010, 12:24 AM
^^^great read. Thanks!

Burleson81
07-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Sounds like he locked down a roster spot.

PGLakers
07-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Sounds like he locked down a roster spot.

esp since we only have AB/Gasol right now for that position.

Burleson81
07-15-2010, 04:17 AM
esp since we only have AB/Gasol right now for that position.

That's why the Lakers need Thomas. For mentorship and stabilization. He'll be the Fisher of the big's. :D