PDA

View Full Version : Is the New Generation destroying the game?

shep33
07-10-2010, 04:54 AM
This is my biggest problem with what ocurred over the past couple of days. Players in this league are often too buddy buddy. We've seen it obviously take place here in Miami, i mean these guys knew where they were going for weeks on end, they planned it out to play together as friends on the same team, who just happen to be the top 3 players in the east, and 2/3 of the best players in the league.

Now... the biggest threat to the NBA is if what Miami has done becomes a routine process. Say for instance, hypothetically the Knicks or Nets or whoever sign Melo, trade for Cp3, get Dirk, and a couple of very good players. Does this destroy the integrity of the game? If guys start piling up on teams, especially if the Miami experiment works out, then why not just contract the league to 8 teams if a majority don't stand a chance?

Now call me old school, call be a whiner etc, but when I was growing up I heavily enjoyed watching great rivals match up, both individual and team. Players may have been friends off the court back then, but it wasn't to the extent as it was today. And individually the NBA's best players wanted to play the best in order to truly measure how great they could be. All the old school great players would never want to join players who were considered to be superstars in their own franchises, and they never planned stuff out on their own during free agency.

If this trend keeps up, and say 3-4 other teams really stack up in the next 5 years, does it take away from the game? Its one thing in building a team via draft and trade, but allowing guys to talk and plan their futures ahead of time seems to be an immediate threat to the game's integrity.

Anyone agree?

twissst89
07-10-2010, 05:00 AM
This is my biggest problem with what ocurred over the past couple of days. Players in this league are often too buddy buddy. We've seen it obviously take place here in Miami, i mean these guys knew where they were going for weeks on end, they planned it out to play together as friends on the same team, who just happen to be the top 3 players in the east, and 2/3 of the best players in the league.

Now... the biggest threat to the NBA is if what Miami has done becomes a routine process. Say for instance, hypothetically the Knicks or Nets or whoever sign Melo, trade for Cp3, get Dirk, and a couple of very good players. Does this destroy the integrity of the game? If guys start piling up on teams, especially if the Miami experiment works out, then why not just contract the league to 8 teams if a majority don't stand a chance?

Now call me old school, call be a whiner etc, but when I was growing up I heavily enjoyed watching great rivals match up, both individual and team. Players may have been friends off the court back then, but it wasn't to the extent as it was today. And individually the NBA's best players wanted to play the best in order to truly measure how great they could be. All the old school great players would never want to join players who were considered to be superstars in their own franchises, and they never planned stuff out on their own during free agency.

If this trend keeps up, and say 3-4 other teams really stack up in the next 5 years, does it take away from the game? Its one thing in building a team via draft and trade, but allowing guys to talk and plan their futures ahead of time seems to be an immediate threat to the game's integrity.

Anyone agree?

Showtime Lakers werent stacked? Celtics werent stacked? Bulls werent stacked? People always discredit Pippen. He was 2nd or 3rd on the mvp ballot the year without Jordan. And id take Rodman over Bosh anyday. Whats the difference?

BayHuStLE
07-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Yeah I think "this generation" was started by the celtics, I mean when they got kg it was like OH SNAP!!!! and then they got Ray, so it was good to see the lakers beat them, cept the lakers got gausol and artest... jp

GO LEBRON LOL

twissst89
07-10-2010, 05:05 AM
And Id love it if teams started stacking up. Ship Mello over to LA for something involving Bynum. I wont be on here hoping 1 of them gets hurt. Ship Paul over to Orlando. Then u got the young up and coming teams like Thunder, Portland, Minnesota(Well... at least talented), Clippers. Dont hate on the Heat. Hate on your GM's.

shep33
07-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Showtime Lakers werent stacked? Celtics werent stacked? Bulls werent stacked? People always discredit Pippen. He was 2nd or 3rd on the mvp ballot the year without Jordan. And id take Rodman over Bosh anyday. Whats the difference?

Yeah, but it was never done in this manner before, teams built their teams from scratch, Jordan and Pippen were drafted into the Bulls (Pip got traded draft day I believe), people didn't meet up in free agency and decide to go to the same team.

People often look at the Lakers and say, "well they're cheap, they got Kobe, Odom, Artest, Bynum, Gasol"... but you know what they built this team via trades and draft.

-Jerry West drafted Kobe at 13 (trade via Hornets)
-Lakers got Odom, via a trade by Shaq
-Lakers drafted Bynum, via being a very bad team in 2005
-The Gasol heist/trade... that again was a trade, and one which although may still favor the lakers, over time has shown to be not as lopsided
-Ron Artest--- They had to give up Ariza who helped them win a ring... big sacrifice, and big gamble, but again an organizationl move. They could've kept Trevor, but took a chance on Ron and it paid off.

shep33
07-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Yeah I think "this generation" was started by the celtics, I mean when they got kg it was like OH SNAP!!!! and then they got Ray, so it was good to see the lakers beat them, cept the lakers got gausol and artest... jp

GO LEBRON LOL

Yeah but again, the Celtics scenario was much different. They didn't decide to team up as a unit together. People forget that Ray was traded to the Celtics, not really by his wishes. KG demanded a trade, and yes once he saw Allen go through, i think that was the clincher. But again, they also drafted/traded for Rondo and Perkins, who are very valuable assets for their team.

I understand what your saying, I mean this could very well have started a trend, but what's different here also, is that these guys were at the end of their prime... their best years were behind them. Bron, Wade, and Bosh still have plenty of time in their prime left. If the best young players in the league today, continue to group up in their primes, then it can dictate which teams will be great for 4-6 years. That's a long time of dominance guys, it may turn the nba into a league of 4-6 or so great teams, and 22 teams who will have no shot at winning at title.

BayHuStLE
07-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Yeah but again, the Celtics scenario was much different. They didn't decide to team up as a unit together. People forget that Ray was traded to the Celtics, not really by his wishes. KG demanded a trade, and yes once he saw Allen go through, i think that was the clincher. But again, they also drafted/traded for Rondo and Perkins, who are very valuable assets for their team.

I understand what your saying, I mean this could very well have started a trend, but what's different here also, is that these guys were at the end of their prime... their best years were behind them. Bron, Wade, and Bosh still have plenty of time in their prime left. If the best young players in the league today, continue to group up in their primes, then it can dictate which teams will be great for 4-6 years. That's a long time of dominance guys, it may turn the nba into a league of 4-6 or so great teams, and 22 teams who will have no shot at winning at title.

Yea sorry ur right, I dont know what I was thinking, but I think what happened that year, also helped develop into this cr*p...

shep33
07-10-2010, 05:20 AM

I mean, the Bulls also played in many 6 and 7 game series against tough eastern conference teams. Knicks would take them to 7 in the early 90s, late 90s with Rodman, Jordan, Pippen they got pushed to 7 by the Pacers. And really, the Jazz pushed them to 6, and heck if Jordan doesn't make that shot, its a 7th game in Utah (Bulls probably woulda won, but i'm just saying...)

shep33
07-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Yea sorry ur right, I dont know what I was thinking, but I think what happened that year, also helped develop into this cr*p...

I totally get what your saying though, maybe it lead to a trend, but this is just weird now... free agent summits, pretending to be interested with other teams, publicity stunts, documentaries...etc.

Haha and honestly... i have never heard the term "cap space" that much before in my life...

kArSoN RyDaH
07-10-2010, 05:24 AM
And Id love it if teams started stacking up. Ship Mello over to LA for something involving Bynum. I wont be on here hoping 1 of them gets hurt. Ship Paul over to Orlando. Then u got the young up and coming teams like Thunder, Portland, Minnesota(Well... at least talented), Clippers. Dont hate on the Heat. Hate on your GM's.

the thing is the GMs did all of the work back in the days. now its the players communicating "im going here so you come here". its just not right and it takes away from the game. personally i could care less about who signs where but it does have an affect on the game as a brand

J-Relo
07-10-2010, 05:29 AM
it has nothing to do with the NEW generation, such thing were done before...

shep33
07-10-2010, 05:30 AM
the thing is the GMs did all of the work back in the days. now its the players communicating "im going here so you come here". its just not right and it takes away from the game. personally i could care less about who signs where but it does have an affect on the game as a brand

I agree, its something that we've never seen before, and I truly believe that these 3 were going to play together next season whether it was in Miami or another city. I ain't hating on the Heat, but the question I have is that now reports have indicated that they did indeed have a summit, and have spoken to each other months ago (atleast Wade and James have), will it change the dynamics of the league forever? And if it does, the league will most certainly have to contract. Lets say teams go into rebuilding, lacking very good players... now in order to get those players (if this trend continues), you must massively overpay players as your only option. While guys team up in big, sexy locations for less money, but money which they'll get back via advertisements, because lets face it they'll be bigger than most stars in the league.

SANDBURG23
07-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Yeah, but it was never done in this manner before, teams built their teams from scratch, Jordan and Pippen were drafted into the Bulls (Pip got traded draft day I believe), people didn't meet up in free agency and decide to go to the same team.

People often look at the Lakers and say, "well they're cheap, they got Kobe, Odom, Artest, Bynum, Gasol"... but you know what they built this team via trades and draft.

-Jerry West drafted Kobe at 13 (trade via Hornets)
-Lakers got Odom, via a trade by Shaq
-Lakers drafted Bynum, via being a very bad team in 2005
-The Gasol heist/trade... that again was a trade, and one which although may still favor the lakers, over time has shown to be not as lopsided
-Ron Artest--- They had to give up Ariza who helped them win a ring... big sacrifice, and big gamble, but again an organizationl move. They could've kept Trevor, but took a chance on Ron and it paid off.

I hear you people became friends back then but didn't get involved in managemnt as much. They all wanted to beat there friend with there team. Examples Jordan/Barkley, Bird/Magic, Ewing/Mourning, imagine if these guys pulled what these 3 did. Jordan,Barkley,Pippen or Magic,Bird,Parrish or Ewing,Mourning,Hardaway.

You never really worried in MJ was not going to resign or Bird,Maigc, etc they all resigned before they hit FA.

BayHuStLE
07-10-2010, 05:31 AM
I totally get what your saying though, maybe it lead to a trend, but this is just weird now... free agent summits, pretending to be interested with other teams, publicity stunts, documentaries...etc.

Haha and honestly... i have never heard the term "cap space" that much before in my life...

yeah, and all of these sign and trades are annoying

shep33
it has nothing to do with the NEW generation, such thing were done before...

Like who? Not talking about old time ring chasers here... i.e. Malone and Payton in LA, etc.

BronBron06
This LeBron fiasco wont even exist if:

Kevin McHale Vice GM of Wolves also a former Celtic traded KG to his buddy/former teammate Danny Ainge.

Jerry West GM of Grizzlies also a former Laker great, bamboozled Memphis lol Kwame Brown trading Pau Gasol. Look @ Memphis Owner reaction like WTF Can I has moar from that deal.

If these 2 GM's didnt interfere with the flow of NBA

LeBron / Dwight / Melo might have gotten at least 1 title

Paul Pierce is still crying
Kobe Bryant is still stuck in the 1st round playoffs
__________________________________________________ _____
Now these OLD GENERATION enraged the NEW GENERATION,

LOL AT LOYALTY, IT WAS LOYALTY THAT SCREWED the NBA in the 1st place look at Kevin McHale and Jerry West.

Yeah Yeah about the topic....

LOL @ Thread Starter, U MAD cause These NEW GENERATION STOOD UP against all unfairness stacked against them by your favorite OLD SCHOOL due to LOYALTY.

Kobe is nothing without Shaq and Gasol... it was proven yeah yeah 82 points, yet HE WAS STUCK at the 1st round playoffs, Kwame, Odom, Smush, Walton

LeBron with SCRUBS Eric Snow Larry Hughes Drew Gooden, yet went to the NBA finals

See.... after that NBA FINALS Kevin McHale and Jerry West happen LOL.

kArSoN RyDaH
07-10-2010, 05:33 AM
I agree, its something that we've never seen before, and I truly believe that these 3 were going to play together next season whether it was in Miami or another city. I ain't hating on the Heat, but the question I have is that now reports have indicated that they did indeed have a summit, and have spoken to each other months ago (atleast Wade and James have), will it change the dynamics of the league forever? And if it does, the league will most certainly have to contract. Lets say teams go into rebuilding, lacking very good players... now in order to get those players (if this trend continues), you must massively overpay players as your only option. While guys team up in big, sexy locations for less money, but money which they'll get back via advertisements, because lets face it they'll be bigger than most stars in the league.

yeaa i hope, for the sake of the nba, this doesnt result in players in the future continuing these summits and meetings and agreeing upon teams. its ridiculous. i cant see stern not doing anything about this.

kArSoN RyDaH
07-10-2010, 05:35 AM
This LeBron fiasco wont even exist if:

Kevin McHale Vice GM of Wolves also a former Celtic traded KG to his buddy/former teammate Danny Ainge.

Jerry West GM of Grizzlies also a former Laker great, bamboozled Memphis lol Kwame Brown trading Pau Gasol. Look @ Memphis Owner reaction like WTF Can I has moar from that deal.

If these 2 GM's didnt interfere with the flow of NBA

LeBron / Dwight / Melo might have gotten at least 1 title

Paul Pierce is still crying
Kobe Bryant is still stuck in the 1st round playoffs
__________________________________________________ _____
Now these OLD GENERATION enraged the NEW GENERATION,

LOL AT LOYALTY, IT WAS LOYALTY THAT SCREWED the NBA in the 1st place look at Kevin McHale and Jerry West.

Yeah Yeah about the topic....

LOL @ Thread Starter, U MAD cause These NEW GENERATION STOOD UP against all unfairness stacked against them by your favorite OLD SCHOOL due to LOYALTY.

Kobe is nothing without Shaq and Gasol... it was proven yeah yeah 82 points, yet HE WAS STUCK at the 1st round playoffs, Kwame, Odom, Smush, Walton

LeBron with SCRUBS Eric Snow Larry Hughes Drew Gooden, yet went to the NBA finals

See.... after that NBA FINALS Kevin McHale and Jerry West happen LOL.

it was 81 points you ignorant prikkk. i dont see how you can say none of this wouldve happened. no this wouldnt have happened if the players wouldnt have communicated. what you need to do is delete your account, hop in a car, and go drive off a very high cliff or bridge and everyone on PSD would continue with their lives. =]

shep33
07-10-2010, 05:37 AM
yeaa i hope, for the sake of the nba, this doesnt result in players in the future continuing these summits and meetings and agreeing upon teams. its ridiculous. i cant see stern not doing anything about this.

Totally agree, I mean he has to if this becomes common, teams without stars will lost money rapidly... It'd basically turn into a circus for 25 teams, literally the only time games sell out would be when these "super teams", come into town.

BronBron06
07-10-2010, 05:37 AM
81 82 doesnt matter much lol, since they still lost the PHOENIX SUNS at post season

J-Relo
07-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Totally agree, I mean he has to if this becomes common, teams without stars will lost money rapidly... It'd basically turn into a circus for 25 teams, literally the only time games sell out would be when these "super teams", come into town.

it's business. there are such a thing like salary cap, teams do their best, some rae just more lucky, if those kind of teams exist they are not worth of NBA.

shep33
07-10-2010, 05:44 AM
81 82 doesnt matter much lol, since they still lost the PHOENIX SUNS at post season

I'm guessing your a fan of DJ Mbenga based on your name... But I dunno how this turned into a kobe vs bron thing, but why don't you stay on topic. We're talking about the league, and loyalty didn't destroy the league, if anything it kept great players in smaller markets, and distributed talent around the league.

Put it this way, when Reggie Miller was in Indy for 18 years, particularly towards the end of his career, there was no talk about the Pacers moving... How about Oscar playing with Cincinnatti and Milwaukee throughout his entire career... perhaps the greatest statistical player in the history of the game. Malone and Stockton in Utah.

Tommyh1331
07-10-2010, 05:45 AM
I'll be cheering for Orlando and any team that beats the Heat

shep33
07-10-2010, 05:48 AM
it's business. there are such a thing like salary cap, teams do their best, some rae just more lucky, if those kind of teams exist they are not worth of NBA.

I understand its a business, but as a fan of the game, do you like watching only a couple of teams have a chance to win a title over a 6 year span? Or do you like to watch a rivalry unfold in epic 7 game series?

I can't judge your opinion, and if you like that brand of basketball, then all to ya brother, I can respect that... but I think a majority of us here like to see epic conference battles... and route for the underdog sometime. Really it just won't work if players continue to join up in the summer and decide where they want to go as a group which is comprised of the best in the league.

J-Relo
07-10-2010, 06:23 AM
I understand its a business, but as a fan of the game, do you like watching only a couple of teams have a chance to win a title over a 6 year span? Or do you like to watch a rivalry unfold in epic 7 game series?

I can't judge your opinion, and if you like that brand of basketball, then all to ya brother, I can respect that... but I think a majority of us here like to see epic conference battles... and route for the underdog sometime. Really it just won't work if players continue to join up in the summer and decide where they want to go as a group which is comprised of the best in the league.

I would love those kind of battles, the first round series going for game 7 or something like that... That would be great, but it's impossible, it's impossible to have many equal and high quality teams. The rules are equal for every team, but it's how they use them

Lebron, Bosh and Wade took a small cut to play together, not many are willing to do that, so i don't see such a thing like 5 superstars signing together, also having those three aren't enough to dominate... they still have to form a team. They have Chalmers, they will sign rookies, some vets, add Haslem, Miller, but they will still probably lack a good defensive bigman. it's a team game, 3 player don't make a team.

twissst89
07-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I mean, the Bulls also played in many 6 and 7 game series against tough eastern conference teams. Knicks would take them to 7 in the early 90s, late 90s with Rodman, Jordan, Pippen they got pushed to 7 by the Pacers. And really, the Jazz pushed them to 6, and heck if Jordan doesn't make that shot, its a 7th game in Utah (Bulls probably woulda won, but i'm just saying...)

So u dont think this is going to be a competition? Celtics are still 1 hell of a team. If Howard can ever get a post game, that turns Orlando into a monster. LA is still a beast. How do u know Miami's not going to be going into 6 or 7 game series, and maybe lose them?

And its only July. Other teams are going to be looking a lot different around Feburary. What if CP3 gets traded to Orlando? What if Mello gets traded to a contender? I think this is going to be great for basketball. Intead of just watching 2 stacked teams in LA and Boston, we added another team to the equation. Hopefully we add more. And im not saying that as a heat fan. Id even love to see the Knicks become a powerhouse to re amp that rivalry.

Hellcrooner
07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes and specially because of under 30 year old fans. who buy into any hypw they fedd them with any critical way of thinking.

whitemamba33
07-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't get it.

Didn't Boston just stack 3 allstars on a team and win a ring a few years ago? Why are people acting like what Miami did was a sin?

twissst89
07-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I would love those kind of battles, the first round series going for game 7 or something like that... That would be great, but it's impossible, it's impossible to have many equal and high quality teams. The rules are equal for every team, but it's how they use them

Lebron, Bosh and Wade took a small cut to play together, not many are willing to do that, so i don't see such a thing like 5 superstars signing together, also having those three aren't enough to dominate... they still have to form a team. They have Chalmers, they will sign rookies, some vets, add Haslem, Miller, but they will still probably lack a good defensive bigman. it's a team game, 3 player don't make a team.

Im not 1 of those Heat fans thats goin all over the boards braggin, but ur going to get to know Joel Anthony really well. Most knowledgable Heat fans wanted to start him over O'Neal last year. We were something like 12-3 with him as our starter. Hes only 6-9 but has a real long wingspan, strong, and plays bigger then he is. He can defend in the post too. Only guy I can think of that gave him problems is Bogut. Hes 1 of the best big defenders in the league IMO. High IQ, great instincts, quick leapping, lateral quickenss of a perimeter player, excellent energy, and he just gets it. Hel contest every shot.

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:07 PM
imagine if like Kareem, Worthy, Rambis, and Magic all got together and went to one team

or

imagine if Walton, bird, and mchale got together and went to one team

or

Imagine if Pippin, Rodman, and Jordan got together and went to one team

or

Imagine if Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen got together and went to one team

Cmon people....i hate that Lebron went to the heat because i am a Bulls fan (grew in in Chicago) but all this whiny hate about Lebron is pathetic

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't get it.

Didn't Boston just stack 3 allstars on a team and win a ring a few years ago? Why are people acting like what Miami did was a sin?

bcuz the team they root for didn't get Lebron

hugepatsfan
07-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I think the BOS Big 3 is a big reason for this. They did it differently (trades), but people like the idea of sacrificing to win. BOS brought that mentality back.

twissst89
07-10-2010, 03:15 PM
imagine if like Kareem, Worthy, Rambis, and Magic all got together and went to one team

or

or

or

Imagine if Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen got together and went to one team

Cmon people....i hate that Lebron went to the heat because i am a Bulls fan (grew in in Chicago) but all this whiny hate about Lebron is pathetic

Now thats a post of a man. If Wade left, I always said I wouldnt of blamed him cus Riley has been wasting his prime and not getting him any help. I actually wanted Wade to leave if we couldnt become a contender. I just would of had a lot of **** Riley posts.

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I think the BOS Big 3 is a big reason for this. They did it differently (trades), but people like the idea of sacrificing to win. BOS brought that mentality back.

KG and ray allen demanded to be traded to the Celtics

Lebron and Bosh will go to Miami though a sign and TRADE
:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

tangent12
07-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Anyone agree?

Great post and excellent points. There's no doubt the league has gotten less competitive and more friendly and soft. Sure you have the natural sports rivalry and competitiveness but there isn't that frequent passionate way of playing as there was before.

Not to mention, players nowadays see it as more of a business and celebrity status thing than a game they play because they love. I mean last night... Perfect example of what I'm talking about, when the three clowns down at Miami were calling themselves "Team Hollywood", see what i mean? And hey we can't really blame them because the change in society through the years have influenced the people that are part of it. Things have changed now with the social networks etc etc and these players are just adjusting to the modern era, business mentality.

Don't get me wrong there are still players who play with that passion and have that old school mentality, but the vast majority have gotten lost in the celebrity side of things.

Hellcrooner
07-10-2010, 03:21 PM

or

or

or

Lakers had to trade HOG goodrich for the pick that goy yo be magic.
trasded HOF dantley for wilkes
Traded Allstars bridgeman and other good pieces for kareem.
Got lucky on a trade with cleveland who got he owrhty, Rambis ahd benen Cut by knicks beore cmap and went europe was no star.

IN recent times they had to give up IDivac to make cap space for shaq.

Parish was being lablened a bust in Warriors and got TRADED to Celtics, they also had to make a trade to get the pick for Mchale and they outsmarted everyone to grab bird at 6th pick knowing he woudlnt report until a year later. Walton was WORN out when he joined.

Bulls drafted Jordan then traded a pick for Pippen aon draft day they surrendered OAKLEy to get Horace grant.

all previous supertemas had benn made by trading players somethims more valuable sometimes less and making good decisions at dradt days

NEVER ahd a team gutted all teyir salarys to ahve three primadonas reuniting a year before and TAMPERING their way into one team.

hugepatsfan
07-10-2010, 03:23 PM
KG and ray allen demanded to be traded to the Celtics

Lebron and Bosh will go to Miami though a sign and TRADE
:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

KG was supposed to go to BOS - he declined. The #5 pick was going to be part of the deal. He had a player option after the season and said he would just opt out. He didn't think him and Pierce alone was good enough. He wanted to go to LA w/ Kobe or PHX w/ Nash. Pierce told Ainge to either get some help or trade him. That's why BOS dealt for Ray. He was surprised by the deal. He said after that SEA should have kept him and Rashard to mentor Durant. He obviously declines. After Ray came, KG was willing to come. They did not demand to be traded. They did not discuss it. And do you really think that a S&T is the same as a normal trade? If so, you are an idiot.

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Now thats a post of a man. If Wade left, I always said I wouldnt of blamed him cus Riley has been wasting his prime and not getting him any help. I actually wanted Wade to leave if we couldnt become a contender. I just would of had a lot of **** Riley posts.

thanks! i agree and was hoping for wade and bosh to come to Chicago. Riley took a big chance and it paid off quite handsomely. This team in Miami doesn't hurt the NBA at all, it makes it SO MUCH more exciting. Lebron is one of my favorite players (i was born right by Akron and my whole family is from there). Do i despise him becuz he didnt go to the Bulls or Cavs? NO
Do i think he did anything wrong at any point during this free agency...NO!! I can't wait for this stuff to blow over

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:26 PM
So you two are pissed because these three signed as Free agents to build a team with a bunch of stars instead of building a team full of superstars by trades?

Is this some kind of joke?

Jamiecballer
07-10-2010, 03:30 PM
none of this would have happened if certain organizations hadn't stripped their entire rosters bare in anticipation of free agency 2010. that is what created this situation. so maybe the NBA needs to look at implementing some new rules in the next CBA but blaming the players is wrong in my opinion. teams like the knicks, nets and heat opened the door for a possibility that was too good for these guys to pass up.

ink
07-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I actually think the monster was created by the NBA when they tried desperately to build individual stars up to replace MJ when he left. We had a string of imposters and it became all about them for years. Lebron is just the heir to that screwed up way of promoting your league. It's not this generation that screwed up the league. It's the Iverson/Carter/enter name of pretender here that did. Lebron is just the accumulation of all the other marketing mistakes.

sep11ie
07-10-2010, 03:33 PM
My fellow PSDers, I regret to inform you I am leaving PSD to sign the vets min to come off the bench for The Miami Heat.

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:34 PM
My fellow PSDers, I regret to inform you I am leaving PSD to sign the vets min to come off the bench for The Miami Heat.

Can't you multi-task!?!?!?!?! We want some inside info from you then! :D

magichatnumber9
07-10-2010, 03:34 PM
KG never wanted to go to the Celtics. Wow it was only 3 years ago, how short the memory. KG wanted to join up with Kobe in L.A. When the Celtics failed to land Durant during the lottery they realized that they needed to get someone in Beantown to sweeten the pot and sway Garnett. So on draft day Danny sent Jeff Green and good players to Seattle. After that KG was like wow this might be something I want to look into. So he told Kevin Mchale that he would be open to joining the Celtics. So the Celtics sent Al Jefferson, a first rounder and a bunch of players for KG. There was no tampering. Ray Allen just had surgery on both ankles. It was a gamble. There was no player tampering or collusion. Don't blame the Boston Celtics for this mess.

hugepatsfan
07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
So you two are pissed because these three signed as Free agents to build a team with a bunch of stars instead of building a team full of superstars by trades?

Is this some kind of joke?

They gave up money and personal glory for titles. I respect that. Both BOS and MIA have this. But I dislike the secatcle MIA has made of it - disgusting. I wish that Lebron gave it a shot on his own because I like the pursuit of greatness. He will never be able to chase MJ's mantle in MIA, and we are all screwed out of watching it.

FOBolous
07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
rivalries between teams don't exit anymore. Imagine if Larry Bird announced he's going to join the Lakers to play with Magic Johnson so he can win championships. oh the uproar. i understand NBA is a business but i think players today care about the business aspect of the game a little too much. They care more about their "brand" than they do about loyalty to their team and being the best they can possibly be.

no loyalty to a team = no rivalries between teams which in turn = NBA being less fun to watch

Hellcrooner
07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I actually think the monster was created by the NBA when they tried desperately to build individual stars up to replace MJ when he left. We had a string of imposters and it became all about them for years. Lebron is just the heir to that screwed up way of promoting your league. It's not this generation that screwed up the league. It's the Iverson/Carter/enter name of pretender here that did. Lebron is just the accumulation of all the other marketing mistakes.

agree, thats what i was saying when i said alarge part of this is because odf youner gfans that buy into the hype.

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:41 PM
They gave up money and personal glory for titles. I respect that. Both BOS and MIA have this. But I dislike the secatcle MIA has made of it - disgusting. I wish that Lebron gave it a shot on his own because I like the pursuit of greatness. He will never be able to chase MJ's mantle in MIA, and we are all screwed out of watching it.

Ya, i agree. But who knows if Lebron could of ever brought a title to Cleveland....and nobody on Cleveland has anywhere close to the talent that Pippin has. Not even close. MJ didn't win those titles by himself. People may only remember MJ but there were very, very good players that MJ was surrounded by (well except for the centers...but that was their strategy of 3 huge guys with 6 fouls to give to just bang in the middle)

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:43 PM
rivalries between teams don't exit anymore. Imagine if Larry Bird announced he's going to join the Lakers to play with Magic Johnson so he can win championships. oh the uproar. i understand NBA is a business but i think players today care about the business aspect of the game a little too much. They care more about their "brand" than they do about loyalty to their team and being the best they can possibly be.

no loyalty to a team = no rivalries between teams which in turn = NBA being less fun to watch

Most professional teams are about as loyal to their players as a 18 year dude sitting next to a naked super model is loyal to his girlfriend

Ethix11
07-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I'll tell you whats destroying the game. Its pessimists who cant see the light at the end of the tunnel to do everything possible to put a team in place thats as strong as the elite. All those teams in purgatory (Indiana, Cleveland, Golden State) mentality, will only scoff at this decision because all they can do is bring the level of Basketball down a few notches so as to give them a chance. Chances are for the weak and these guys did it all by the book. Its a respected decision and if it happened on your team, you never would have made this /thread

Allstar21
07-10-2010, 03:45 PM
NOTHING IS DESTROYING THIS GAME! Its the off-season and instead of people obsessing over football like what usually would happen, no one can stop talking about basketball!

krest213
07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
the game been destroyed. since Stern
CDL gonna fix it

hugepatsfan
07-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Ya, i agree. But who knows if Lebron could of ever brought a title to Cleveland....and nobody on Cleveland has anywhere close to the talent that Pippin has. Not even close. MJ didn't win those titles by himself. People may only remember MJ but there were very, very good players that MJ was surrounded by (well except for the centers...but that was their strategy of 3 huge guys with 6 fouls to give to just bang in the middle)

It's a moot point now. We'll never know. That's why I am dissapointed in his decision. But I respect it - he wants to just win instead of deal w/ he pressures of greatness. I think him and KG are similar in that they always wanted to be the best all around player on the team, but not the go-to guy.

PrettyBoyJ
07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I think its hurting the league wen you Have 3 of the top 10 players in one team all decided to meet up and sign together it hurts the league... you guys can tlk about show time lakers, celtics, and all that but you never had 3 top 10 players in those teams.. 2 out of those 3 guys you could build a team around.. so when you have that goin on in the league that is gonna be the mind set of every GM in the league

ink
07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
NOTHING IS DESTROYING THIS GAME! Its the off-season and instead of people obsessing over football like what usually would happen, no one can stop talking about basketball!

But no one is talking about basketball. It's just gossip about crooked business transactions, collusion, and large egos. lol. Show me the last time someone actually started a "basketball" thread.

Chi-Town Sports
07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I think basketball is being destroyed. All sports are at their best when one superstar faces another. The competition is the best part of sports

BkOriginalOne
07-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Honestly, would you rather have...

Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and KG
Jordan, Pippen and Rodman
OR
Wade, James and Bosh

As great as Jordan is... the last 3 worry me the most. At least it's Wade and not Kobe.

Chi-Town Sports
07-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Honestly, would you rather have...

Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and KG
Jordan, Pippen and Rodman
OR
Wade, James and Bosh

As great as Jordan is... the last 3 worry me the most. At least it's Wade and not Kobe.

No

gbrl
07-10-2010, 05:00 PM
I'll tell you whats destroying the game. Its pessimists who cant see the light at the end of the tunnel to do everything possible to put a team in place thats as strong as the elite. All those teams in purgatory (Indiana, Cleveland, Golden State) mentality, will only scoff at this decision because all they can do is bring the level of Basketball down a few notches so as to give them a chance. Chances are for the weak and these guys did it all by the book. Its a respected decision and if it happened on your team, you never would have made this /thread

you do realize mostly the teams in contention for lebron and the contending teams have a problem with the signings

TheWrightStuff5
07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Let's see... 2 baskets? Check! 1 ball? Check! Couple of ref's that are buddy buddy with a few guys on the court? Check! 10 guys on the court? Check! Spike Lee and Jack Nicholson? Check! Nope. Not much has changed since I started watching basketball 20 years ago.

sep11ie
07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Can't you multi-task!?!?!?!?! We want some inside info from you then! :D

NO, I will not tell you how big LBJ's wee wee is! What happens in the Heat locker room/shower area, stays in the Heat locker room/shower area.

soonabooma
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
There's always gonna be a few dicks like Lebron, but what about the guys like Kevin Durant, Brandon Roy, Chris Paul, even Dwight Howard. I'm not saying that anybody is above moving on to go somewhere else if they think it presents them with an opportunity, but we all know that guys like these are class acts. They don't make a production out of something as simple as signing a piece of paper. It's not all about lights and camera with them, becuz they play for the love of the game. Lebron doesn't do that. He's the king of self promotion and nobody respects that anymore, except for his two new butt buddies, the people in Miami, and his MOMMA. That's about it.

But as long as you've got guys like KD, Roy, and CP3, you'll have some class in the league. Do you honestly think any one of these guys would leave an organization after an appearance in the finals and then back to back 60+ win seasons becuz they all of a sudden became too scared to be THE guy? Hell no, not in a million years. That's the difference in them and LeDouche.

dtmagnet
07-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I agree about the players being too friendly with each other, back in the day the players hated each other when they were on the court. It's fine to be friends off the court but when you're playing the opponent is your enemy.

bulldog312
07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
I would say that yes, if this becomes a trend (which it very well could), it is going to be horrible for the NBA. If the NBA feels it is going that way though they could easily add in restrictions to prevent it.

drobe86
07-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I see where the topic here is going but I don't disagree with it. Its a game, and great players have respect for other great players. That just the way it is....

The Raven
07-11-2010, 07:48 AM
I agree about the players being too friendly with each other, back in the day the players hated each other when they were on the court. It's fine to be friends off the court but when you're playing the opponent is your enemy.

id have to agree. All this buddy buddy is so dumb. Players used to love to crush the spirits of the teams they were facing. Thats how rivalries thrived. Now it seems everyone is all about playing together and joining forces. Come on this is basketball here.