PDA

View Full Version : Best Offensive Low-Post Scorer in game?

TheHoopsProphet
07-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Low-Post scoring seems to be a lost art in today's game. The only person that comes to mind is Pau Gasol, am I wrong? Discuss!

Raph12
07-10-2010, 03:31 AM
Tim Duncan, easily.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Al jefferson. Not being a homer either.

Oaktown R8ers
07-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Paul Gasol
KG
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh :sigh:

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:33 AM
Low-Post scoring seems to be a lost art in today's game. The only person that comes to mind is Pau Gasol, am I wrong? Discuss!

i agree... he proved this the past two years. he consistently competes with the greats of the game. his moves are very solid and that hook has gotten awesome.. also his ability to score off the offensive rebound is phenomenal.. hes truly a very smart player

49ERS LEGACY530
07-10-2010, 03:35 AM
amare
cb4
gasol
carl landry

there are not many great low post scoring bigs in this leauge anymore

Kyben36
07-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Boozer is one, he is one of the only players I have seen go up with either hand

I dont agree with al jeferson, because he has no left hand, sho me a single time he goes up left handed to prove me wrong, but untill then, being a post player myself, you cant be the best post player in the league without having a left hand.

Gasol is a grea post player

Carmelo should be in the conversation

Duncan was, but he is getting old.

I think this list is pretty good, but I could have missed somebody. Kg IS ALSO ON THE SAME BOAT AS DUNCAN.

Kyle N.
07-10-2010, 03:36 AM
I think it's Yao. Dwight Howard also deserves a mention. He's pretty good.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:36 AM
i like carl landry... BUT carl landry's mother wouldnt mention him in this thread

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 03:37 AM
Paul Gasol
KG
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh :sigh:

So many things wrong with this list.

Kg has always been a mid range jump shooter along with his spin and fade low post scoring. Chris bosh isnt really a low post scorer..

Amare gets his points off pick and roll..

Do you guys even watch nba games?

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 03:37 AM
I think it's Yao. Dwight Howard also deserves a mention. He's pretty good.

Howard has NO OFFENSIVE LOW POST MOVES....

God...

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:38 AM

Kg has always been a mid range jump shooter along with his spin and fade low post scoring. Chris bosh isnt really a low post scorer..

good question.. after pau i think its dwight... not sure how it gets after that tho, alot of ties

Raph12
07-10-2010, 03:38 AM
It's no contest IMO; Duncan has the faceup running floater, hook with both hands, terrific footwork, faceup jumper, bank shot... Shall I go on?

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:39 AM

God...

But God.... he is a great offensive low-post scorer

Kyle N.
07-10-2010, 03:40 AM

God...

Well he doesn't have the most moves but he still can score.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 03:41 AM
No he isn't he rebounds and dunks... thats not low post scoring. This thread is talking back to the basket players.

I agree with Melo being in here along with Gasol. Boozer is good as well.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:43 AM
does it say the best scorers with back to basket?

Kyle N.
07-10-2010, 03:44 AM
^Nope, and I think dunking counts for scoring on the low post.

tdunk21
07-10-2010, 03:45 AM
tim duncan, easily.

+1

Mavrix
Jefferson and Randolph = 2 of the most underrated low post scorers

Raph12
No he isn't he rebounds and dunks... thats not low post scoring. This thread is talking back to the basket players.

I agree with Melo being in here along with Gasol. Boozer is good as well.

Hmm guess he's getting 10 offensive rebounds per game to put up 20 points. Your an idiot dude, it's ignorant posters like yourself that give the rest of PSD a bad name.

If Dwight can put up 20ppg on 60+FG%, than by all means, keep "rebounding and dunking" :rolleyes:

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:47 AM
hahah true that ralph!!!

BUT HE STILL AINT NO PAU... and im not even a pau fan

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 03:47 AM
Hmm guess he's getting 10 offensive rebounds per game to put up 20 points. Your an idiot dude, it's ignorant posters like yourself that give the rest of PSD a bad name.

If Dwight can put up 20ppg on 60+FG%, than by all means, keep "rebounding and dunking" :rolleyes:

Regardless he doesn't qualify as a low post scorer. How many low post moves does he have? You have to actually POST someone up in order to be a LOW POST scorer.:facepalm:

ldc62
07-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Boozer, Al Jefferson, Gasol, Bosh, Duncan (not in order)

I don't know if I should consider Amare seeing as how he is a catch and finish guy (starting from 10 feet running in)

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Regardless he doesn't qualify as a low post scorer. How many low post moves does he have? You have to actually POST someone up in order to be a LOW POST scorer.:facepalm:

NO, NO, NO.... to be a LOW POST SCORER.. you have to SCORE from the LOW POST....

wow.. you're an idiot... the whole site isnt like this right??

Raph12
07-10-2010, 03:49 AM

I question your basketball intelligence, if you watched Dwight play for even 5 games this season, you wouldn't make this judgement... I'm done here.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 03:49 AM
NO, NO, NO.... to be a LOW POST SCORER.. you have to SCORE from the LOW POST....

wow.. you're an idiot... the whole site isnt like this right??

you do realize you can get banned for that type of posts.... I'v seen people go for alot less then that.

Howard is not even close to the best low post scorer. You have to have a variety of moves using your left and right hand. Up and under moves ect to even be in the running for this.... Howard over his career has not shown anything besides a dropstep dunk for a low post move. He relies on pure athleticism not post up skills to get his points.

Kyle N.
07-10-2010, 03:50 AM

The low post is an area on the court. It's not called that because you have to post somebody up there. A low post scorer can have a low post face-up game too. I didn't say Dwight was the best either. I just said he's worth mentioning.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:51 AM
you do realize you can get banned for that type of posts.... I'v seen people go for alot less then that.

if speaking the truth gets me banned i dont think i would want to be here.. site seems a little more legit than that my dude

cmellofan15
07-10-2010, 03:52 AM
well if we're talking about scoring in the part of the court that's called the "low post" I'd say Nene should be in the discussion. He's always top 5 in dunks per season.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:52 AM

Howard is not even close to the best low post scorer. You have to have a variety of moves using your left and right hand. Up and under moves ect to even be in the running for this.... Howard over his career has not shown anything besides a dropstep dunk for a low post move. He relies on pure athleticism not post up skills to get his points.

no, YOU HAVE TO SCORE FROM THE LOW POST.... you dont need finesse, power, jumping ability, ANYTHING... its not the discussion. best low post scorer.. who's best at scoring close to the basket...

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 03:53 AM
Like I said before... name 5 low post moves that dwight has.

Boozer,melo,jefferson, ect all have more then 5 low post moves...

Thread says low post scorer... meaning post up moves...

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 03:54 AM
does the thread say "Who has the best/most low post moves?"

i dont believe it does...

Iodine
07-10-2010, 03:54 AM

New favorite poster

Oaktown R8ers
07-10-2010, 03:55 AM

aww poor wolves fan. Mad Kg left and got a ring? i dont give a **** bout these players as long as my team is wining championships .just posted who i think is good shooting in the low post didnt go all out

robdizzle3
07-10-2010, 03:59 AM
Its not even close. Pau has proved he is the best. Can use either hand, finger roll, dunk, clap off the board and can hit the 15-18 foot jumper with consistency.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 04:00 AM
Its not even close. Pau has proved he is the best. Can use either hand, finger roll, dunk, clap off the board and can hit the 15-18 foot jumper with consistency.

yep, especially the fact that he did it two years in a row on the biggest stage possible... and he dominated kg this year!!

kjdills13
07-10-2010, 04:01 AM
ZACK RANDOLPH is a BEAST pair him with a good pg like nash or williams or cp3 or rondo or any body who can create and pass and we would be the BEST PF in the league

Raph12
07-10-2010, 04:03 AM

5 low post moves:

1. Postup, dropstep and jam

2. Postup, running hook towards key mostly w/ right

3. Postup, spinning hook towards baseline w/ left and right

4. Postup, spin baseline, drive towards the basket and finish with a reverse layup/dunk

5. Postup, faceup, fake one-way, drive another, spin back and finish with a layup/baby hook

Examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVVgEUE4or8

Stop talking...

Raidergrant
07-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Duncan, Gasol, Al Jefferson.

Dallas Tx4Life
07-10-2010, 04:07 AM
5 low post moves:

4. Postup, spin baseline, drive towards the basket and finish with a reverse layup/dunk

5. Postup, faceup, fake one-way, drive another, spin back and finish with a layup/baby hook

Stop talking...

you have been TOLD!!!
haha, go pray for ricky rubio to be the next nash

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 04:07 AM
5 low post moves:

Stop talking...

The only one he uses on a regular basis is that hook. Or at least thats what I saw the most during the playoffs.

If he was a good low post scorer he wouldn't of been shut down by perkins so easily.. the celtics basically ignored him on offense...and let go perkins go one on one with him..

Kyle N.
07-10-2010, 04:08 AM

Well i think you quit listening to me. Dwight's running hook is a low post move. Even if he he misses it, get's the rebound, and dunk it, that's still low post scoring because he's in the low post and he's scoring. And like I said, I never said he was the best.

BigBull
07-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Timmy

JiffyMix88
07-10-2010, 04:10 AM
wow i think a lot of ppl forgot how amare would punish ppl before dantoni brought his system in. he may not have many moves as far as hook shots and turn around fades but his spin move and poster dunks were big before dantoni came

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 04:11 AM
Well i think you quit listening to me. Dwight's running hook is a low post move. Even if he he misses it, get's the rebound, and dunk it, that's still low post scoring because he's in the low post and he's scoring. And like I said, I never said he was the best.

we are on the same page. I agree that he has gotten better with his low post moves. But he wouldn't be in the top 10 if we are talking about overall skill with it. he has the most potential to become a dominant low post scorer...

Bruno
07-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Duncan, Gasol, Al Jefferson, in no order.

Duncan is starting to show his age, Gasol is great but not the strongest, Jefferson has great post moves but was injured and working himself into a new offense last year.

As far as fundamentals on the block, it's these three guys, then everybody else. Boozer and Bynum are on the outside looking in, as block players, and Bosh, Amare, KG, and Dirk use either midrange or pick and roll to get most of their points.

Edit: Totally forgot about Bogut, I'd put him in the elite group as well. Yao is also the wild card, capable of being one of the best, if not the best of the block when healthy.

Raph12
07-10-2010, 04:14 AM
The only one he uses on a regular basis is that hook. Or at least thats what I saw the most during the playoffs.

If he was a good low post scorer he wouldn't of been shut down by perkins so easily.. the celtics basically ignored him on offense...and let go perkins go one on one with him..

LMFAO!!! Shutdown? You're telling me 22ppg on 57% shooting is shutdown? Guess Pau got raped in that case with his 18.5ppg on 48% shooting or maybe he should take some lessons from Lebron and go 3-14 against them in the biggest game of the year lol.

And of course you saw one move "most" during the playoffs, it's called a goto move smartass.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 04:16 AM
LMFAO!!! Shutdown? You're telling me 22ppg on 57% shooting is shutdown? Guess Pau got raped in that case with his 18.5ppg on 48% shooting or maybe he should take some lessons from Lebron and go 3-14 against them in the biggest game of the year lol.

And of course you saw one move "most" during the playoffs, it's called a goto move smartass.

the numbers don't really tell the story in the matchup... howard was frustrated that entire series...

Kyle N.
07-10-2010, 04:16 AM
we are on the same page. I agree that he has gotten better with his low post moves. But he wouldn't be in the top 10 if we are talking about overall skill with it. he has the most potential to become a dominant low post scorer...

Fair enough. Still though, I'm surprised there hasn't been any love for Yao. I know he was out last year, but when he's healthy, he's as hard to stop as anyone.

RulerSlick
07-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Gasol quite easily

Raph12
07-10-2010, 04:18 AM

And now you're changing your opinion, you said he had:

God...

And now you say he's "gotten better", "has the most potential" and just "wouldn't be in the top 10"... Oh how far we have come.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Duncan, Gasol, Al Jefferson, in no order.

Duncan is starting to show his age, Gasol is great but not the strongest, Jefferson has great post moves but was injured and working himself into a new offense last year.

As far as fundamentals on the block, it's these three guys, then everybody else. Boozer and Bynum are on the outside looking in, as block players, and Bosh, Amare, KG, and Dirk use either midrange or pick and roll to get most of their points.

exactly what i was saying...
;)

He has no moves relative to the rest of the list of players.

he has potential because he has been working with ewing ect to get better. Most of howards points in the celtics series came off of put backs or fast breaks. He really didn't score much at all from the low post. My point is that when hes matched up against someone like horford from the hawks he can score... but when he has anyone close to resembling playing respectable defense on him he tends to crumble. Which is why I said he has the most potential but is not in the top 10... and he has gotten better from last year. Correct me if I'm wrong with this but i dont think he had that hook shot last year?

Raph12
07-10-2010, 04:19 AM
the numbers don't really tell the story in the matchup... howard was frustrated that entire series...

Anyone would be frustrated with Perk's defense, he's the best defensive center in the league not named Dwight. Doesn't dismiss the fact that Dwight basically torched him in 4 of the 6 games.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Anyone would be frustrated with Perk's defense, he's the best defensive center in the league not named Dwight. Doesn't dismiss the fact that Dwight basically torched him in 4 of the 6 games.

If dwight was able to score more in the low post during that series it would of opened up the entire offense. Lewis would of been able to spot up and hit 3's... nelson would of been more effective ect... nelson was pretty much the reason you stayed in the series as long as you did...

If you watch the replays of the game you can clearly see that howard had no affect on the game from the offensive end... all of his points came from put backs and fast breaks...

Raph12
07-10-2010, 04:30 AM
If dwight was able to score more in the low post during that series it would of opened up the entire offense. Lewis would of been able to spot up and hit 3's... nelson would of been more effective ect... nelson was pretty much the reason you stayed in the series as long as you did...

If you watch the replays of the game you can clearly see that howard had no affect on the game from the offensive end... all of his points came from put backs and fast breaks...

You're a lost cause bro, I'm done with you.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 04:31 AM
You're a lost cause bro, I'm done with you.

If your done with me don't bother to respond?

robdizzle3
07-10-2010, 04:37 AM

If you actually looked at the game, Dwight was still beasting after being triple teamed. He did every thing he could to help the Magic advance, but Vince and Rashad felt they were invisible like Clay Aiken lol.

Bruno
07-10-2010, 04:41 AM
exactly what i was saying...
;)

He has no moves relative to the rest of the list of players.

he has potential because he has been working with ewing ect to get better. Most of howards points in the celtics series came off of put backs or fast breaks. He really didn't score much at all from the low post. My point is that when hes matched up against someone like horford from the hawks he can score... but when he has anyone close to resembling playing respectable defense on him he tends to crumble. Which is why I said he has the most potential but is not in the top 10... and he has gotten better from last year. Correct me if I'm wrong with this but i dont think he had that hook shot last year?

Howard isn't top 5 as far as scoring ability/fundamentals off the block. But his ridiculous athleticism makes him the king of the put back/offensive boards, he's like a garbage man. That alone adds another element to his game, he had the 2nd most offensive rebounds in the NBA last year.

When you add that to his defensive skills, it makes him the best overall big man in the game. Or at least right there with Gasol and Duncan. Jefferson needs to work on his D, and prove he can play within the triangle before he can be put in this discussion. But he has high box IQ, and great fundamentals, especially considering he's slightly undersized; matched by only Gasol and Duncan.

Twolves88
07-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Howard isn't top 5 as far as scoring ability/fundamentals off the block. But his ridiculous athleticism makes him the king of the put back/offensive boards, he's like a garbage man. That alone adds another element to his game, he had the 2nd most offensive rebounds in the NBA last year.

When you add that to his defensive skills, it makes him the best overall big man in the game. Or at least right there with Gasol and Duncan. Jefferson needs to work on his D, and prove he can play within the triangle before he can be put in this discussion. But he has high box IQ, and great fundamentals, especially considering he's slightly undersized; matched by only Gasol and Duncan.

I'm not questioning his athleticism/rebounding/defense. I'm just saying on the offensive end(specifically low post scoring) he could be a lot better then he currently is. I'm saying that he should be scoring on everyone at will. Esp with the lack of current lack of decent NBA centers..

Bruno
07-10-2010, 04:48 AM
I'm not questioning his athleticism/rebounding/defense. I'm just saying on the offensive end(specifically low post scoring) he could be a lot better then he currently is. I'm saying that he should be scoring on everyone at will. Esp with the lack of current lack of decent NBA centers..

Oh yea, I agree.

97NYer
07-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Duncan.

dnewguy
07-10-2010, 10:48 AM
didn't Bosh have the most points in paint last 2 seasons?

Hawkeye15
07-10-2010, 10:57 AM
one on one in the low block, a healthy Al Jefferson has the best post moves in the NBA

X12Celtics3
07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm a bit of a homer, but I loved watching Jefferson work the low post while he was here.

Verbal Christ
07-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Yao when fully healthy is unstoppable on the block 1 on 1.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Yao when fully healthy is unstoppable on the block 1 on 1.

he is pretty tough, cause he can just turn and shoot, and has a lot of touch. As long as he doesn't need to dribble more than once or twice haha

YoungOne
07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
lol @ the guys who say dwight howard... if he were one, orlando already would have a championchip, but he got manhandled by sheed and perkins...

Hawkeye15
07-10-2010, 12:01 PM
yeah, not getting the Dwight Howard thing. He is a freak athletically, and gets a lot of putbacks, and has a power move into the lane, but he is not a fundamental scorer in the least. If he had any realy low post game at all, with his athletic ability, he would be averaging 30 a night

HallofFameKidd
07-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Yao

Truheatfan
07-10-2010, 12:32 PM
this is real tough i wanna say gasol but tim duncan is the best in the low post gasol would be next and yao comes after

tonyd3b54
07-10-2010, 12:35 PM
duncan gasol al jeff i think are the top 3... only those who watch al jeff alot kno how crafty he is down on the post... hes got a very wide variety of shots even tho he only uses his right hand...

gbrl
07-10-2010, 12:50 PM
al gasol and duncan

C_Mund
07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
one on one in the low block, a healthy Al Jefferson has the best post moves in the NBA

I can almost agree with this...but Pau seems to be able to do it at will.
Brook Lopez might get himself in the conversation this season

Sadds The Gr8
07-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Tim Duncan, easily.

Gasol > Duncan atm. And this is someone who hates Pau Gasol. Pau is easily the best low post scorer in the NBA

CowboysKB24
07-10-2010, 01:49 PM

KG in his prime was capable of everything. He could shoot, post up, pass, and rebound, block, anything you ask. He used to get a triple double often. KG is the best player overall out of this group. As for right now, I'd take Gasol, Bosh, and Amar'e over KG right now because of his age and play decline.

Gasol has a great post game, aruable the best in the game. He can't create his own shot like Bosh and KG, but can hit a mid range jumper regularly when left open. He has become a more physical player the past two years and this is the first year he stepped up his playoff averages above his seasonal averages.

Bosh is very efficient downlow. Last year he lead the league (or was in top 5) in post up shooting percentage at 52 plus percent. He can create his own shot and fade away better than any of these guys mentioned. I think he is underrated, not many people got to see his game because he played for Toronto.

Amar'e is scoring machine and does benefit a lot from Nash and the pick and roll. I think he will be average about 25 a game. He offers a lot. His defense is not that great, but he can do pretty much everything you ask from a PF offensively.

thescore53
07-10-2010, 01:50 PM
chris bosh

magichatnumber9
07-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I think it's Yao. Dwight Howard also deserves a mention. He's pretty good.Ah Fail.... Al Jefferson and here is another guy who might be a tad better when he is healthy Andrew Bogut. Yes Andrew Bogut who can kill you with his left which is something Al Jefferson needs to add to his arsenal.