PDA

View Full Version : Magic GM: the "great ones" do it on their own and "usually stay in one location"

LTBaByyy
07-09-2010, 10:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/07/09/magic.gm.heat.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

The Heat have a lot of work to do just to get to the finals!

Ready for the season to start

Melo15
07-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Sounds like were about to have a Heat vs Magic rivalry

iggypop123
07-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Asked if James' move to Miami will cause a power shift in the NBA, Smith responded, "Is Kobe retiring?"

Oaktown R8ers
07-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Heat vs Magic?

some are saying LA vs MIA already all i know LA better be ready for
"LiL John(dwade) and The East Side Boys(lebron and bosh)

LTBaByyy
07-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I know!!! (Melo15) if it was last year then maybe they can make the finals

but this year theres atleast 4 legit teams in the east, and plus 3 good ones

Last year the top 2 or 3 teams in the east didnt even make the finals

Cano4prez
07-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Shouldn't he be overpaying washed up overrated vets ala Lewis, Duhon, Vc?

gbrl
07-09-2010, 10:38 PM
so is shaq not a great one

drew_ellis_23
07-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Asked if James' move to Miami will cause a power shift in the NBA, Smith responded, "Is Kobe retiring?"

:clap:

cubs0707
07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
shaq left in his prime
but went to lal an was the man
then got traded to the heat

Storch
07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
If that is how the Magic GM thinks, then Dwight will never win a ring.

Giants27
07-09-2010, 10:44 PM
We are finding out both the Cavs and Macgic GM's are not a big LeBron fan right now. lol

Truheatfan
07-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Shouldn't he be overpaying washed up overrated vets ala Lewis, Duhon, Vc?

nope he should be trying to get dwight to learn some post moves cuz he's the reason thier relevant... besides overpaying role players

Truheatfan
07-09-2010, 10:48 PM
If that is how the Magic GM thinks, then Dwight will never win a ring.

my thoughts exacly :clap:

ldc62
07-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I knew it... Shaq sucks

RadiantShot
07-09-2010, 10:54 PM
So he's right...Yet he's getting bashed.
That's cute.
You know; Even Mark Cuban mentioned this earlier in a pre-season game. Reggie Miller mentioned it. Chris Webber did. Charles Barkley did. If you're going to blame anyone, don't just blame Otis. Many people have already talked about it, and many people aren't pleased. Let the Magic/Heat rivalry begin. Otis likes our team. ;)

JordansBulls
07-09-2010, 10:55 PM

He is, but never a top 5 player all time because he couldn't win with the franchise he was drafted by.

thescore53
07-09-2010, 11:00 PM
why u mad ?

MagicBucsSox
07-09-2010, 11:08 PM
he said what he said to put that in dwight head for 2012

dwadefan03
07-09-2010, 11:29 PM
its amazing how many people have become such haters around here. ur supposed to put ur team and yourself in the best position to win Lebron james and pat riley have done that, i dont see why that aspect cannot be respected. But its okay tho they can hate all they want...fact is were winning 7 championships

*Superman*
07-09-2010, 11:33 PM
its amazing how many people have become such haters around here. ur supposed to put ur team and yourself in the best position to win Lebron james and pat riley have done that, i dont see why that aspect cannot be respected. But its okay tho they can hate all they want...fact is were winning 7 championships

Lol.

Knowledge
07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Funny how the people complaining/having the most to say are the teams who thought they were going to get Wade or LBJ or Bosh and the teams who will have to face them directly. Also nice to see people wishing for injuries, just proves you dont think your team can win fair and square.

The only people who I feel sorry for are the Cleveland fans, everyone else needs to stop being jealous and look forward to great basketball. I know that is what Im doing.

blacknell
07-09-2010, 11:56 PM
magic are done i'm sure bosh can handle howard because we know all he can do is dunk

Melo15
07-10-2010, 12:12 AM
I can not wait for this season

Mochalman
07-10-2010, 12:16 AM
ima bump this thread when howard leaves the magic

RadiantShot
07-10-2010, 12:21 AM
ima bump this thread when howard leaves the magic

I'ma bump this thread when Duncan retires tomorrow night.

*Superman*
07-10-2010, 12:23 AM
magic are done i'm sure bosh can handle howard because we know all he can do is dunk

Are you kidding me? Dwight would take all kinds of ***** on Bosh.

:laugh:

Jay16
07-10-2010, 12:24 AM
He is, but never a top 5 player all time because he couldn't win with the franchise he was drafted by.

Okay so that is the determining factor on a player being "great" if they win a ring with the original team......... yeah ........ no.

ldc62
07-10-2010, 12:26 AM

Be happy if you win 3.

Cbast09
07-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Be happy if you win 3.
Shoot... I would be.

iggypop123
07-10-2010, 12:37 AM

you answered your own question

Mochalman
07-10-2010, 12:40 AM
win seven championships? i thought they signed six year deals?

jacquewho?
07-10-2010, 12:41 AM

Well besides Bosh, neither Wade nor 'Bron went to college....

Mochalman
07-10-2010, 12:43 AM

didn't wade go to marquette?

*Superman*
07-10-2010, 12:44 AM

Yeah.

Jay16
07-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Wade graduated from Marquette .... but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a perfectly good post.

Oaktown R8ers
07-10-2010, 12:45 AM

JNore151
07-10-2010, 12:46 AM

LMAO ....one yaself idiot .....

MaHaRaJaH
07-10-2010, 12:47 AM
I knew it... Shaq sucks

ElMarroAfamado
07-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Sounds like were about to have a Heat vs Magic rivalry

"Lebron slept dreaming to be Michael Jordan...woke up as Scottie Pippen...smh. "

:cool:

MaHaRaJaH
07-10-2010, 12:48 AM

Their team is so super they will win multiple champs within one year.

ElMarroAfamado
07-10-2010, 12:49 AM
my thoughts exacly :clap:

lebron james will never win a ring either and he is on a fake team

_KB24_
07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Same Interview: "The Lakers have won the championship the last (two) years," Smith said. "I'm not sure if you can shift any power. It's kind of hard. I've heard that a few times and I'm trying to see any power shift. Until that guy that wears No. 24 out in L.A. shifts his power...they're still the best team in our league. Until somebody beats them, they've won (two) championships."

Smith then rhetorically asked if Kobe Bryant is returning. A reporter responded, "No, he's joining the Heat."

"No, he's proved he can do it on his own," Smith volleyed back. "Oops. My bad."

Read more: http://newsok.com/magic-general-manager-otis-smith-critical-of-lebron-james-move-to-miami/article/3475052#ixzz0tFgCZIXf

bmanjones
07-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Funny how the people complaining/having the most to say are the teams who thought they were going to get Wade or LBJ or Bosh and the teams who will have to face them directly. Also nice to see people wishing for injuries, just proves you dont think your team can win fair and square.

The only people who I feel sorry for are the Cleveland fans, everyone else needs to stop being jealous and look forward to great basketball. I know that is what Im doing.

this.

and i respect the fact that 3 superstars took less money to win. thats what it should be about winning not signing a max deal. lebron probably doesn't care if he gets called robin or that he is tarnishing his legacy because he can't win by himself. I expect them to win 4 or 5 finals.

Oaktown R8ers
07-10-2010, 12:59 AM
quote me on this

MAGIC AND LAKERS WILL SPANK THE HEAT

Mochalman
anyone think michael jordan could win it by hisself with the players of now? i dont

jacquewho?

Yeah.

Wade graduated from Marquette .... but hey don't let the facts get in the way of a perfectly good post.

LMAO ....one yaself idiot .....

:o

:hide:

Oaktown R8ers
07-10-2010, 01:05 AM
anyone think michael jordan could win it by hisself with the players of now? i dont

so your saying put MJ on the bulls 2010 roster? maybe, maybe not but MJ still has it not saying hes going to rape em **** but he still can dribble and shoot a ****in ball.

iggypop123
07-10-2010, 01:09 AM
give MJ zach randolph and he wins at least 5 titles

Mochalman
07-10-2010, 01:09 AM
so your saying put MJ on the bulls 2010 roster? maybe, maybe not but MJ still has it not saying hes going to rape em **** but he still can dribble and shoot a ****in ball.

maybe not the bulls unless you take rose and boozer off that team because you know, if he cant do it alone no one can. put mj on a team in his prime with role players. does he win a ring? nope

Oaktown R8ers
07-10-2010, 01:13 AM
maybe not the bulls unless you take rose and boozer off that team because you know, if he cant do it alone no one can. put mj on a team in his prime with role players. does he win a ring? nope

yes he can

blacknell
07-10-2010, 07:42 PM

He couldn't win then by himself he played with a hall of famer in pippen and rodman should also be in the HOF.. The players then were alot better than they are now IMO magic, bird, kemp, hakeem, drexler, barkley the mid 80's-90's produced the best decade of basketball

Jenceman
07-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Be happy if you win 3.

They should be happy with even one!

JordansBulls
07-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Okay so that is the determining factor on a player being "great" if they win a ring with the original team......... yeah ........ no.

Umm yes. If you are truly great you can take a team from the bottom to the top. You shouldn't have to leave to play with another top 3 player in order to win titles.

Imagine had Tmac decided to do that and went to LA with Shaq and Kobe? Or if Gary Payton did that and went to Chicago when MJ was around.

Holydiver
07-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Cleveland spent 7 years looking for their Pippen when all along they had their Pippen who was looking for his Jordan

Lakersfanla24
07-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Cleveland spent 7 years looking for their Pippen when all along they had their Pippen who was looking for his Jordan

:laugh::laugh: i think i just pissed myself a little bit:clap:

hype707
07-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I knew it... Shaq sucks

lol

FOBolous
07-10-2010, 08:56 PM
So he's right...Yet he's getting bashed.
That's cute.
You know; Even Mark Cuban mentioned this earlier in a pre-season game. Reggie Miller mentioned it. Chris Webber did. Charles Barkley did. If you're going to blame anyone, don't just blame Otis. Many people have already talked about it, and many people aren't pleased. Let the Magic/Heat rivalry begin. Otis likes our team. ;)

So have either Barkley, Webber, or Miller won a championship before? And if Cuban thinks "the great ones do it by themselves" why does he try so hard trouble place talented players around Dirk.NOBODY wins by themselves. Basketball is a TEAM sport. You need good a TEAM to win. Even Jordan had help.

All these people are just jumping on the hate bandwagon. All the GMs are mad cause they did all they can to get lebron and they failed. All these retired players who never won a championship before are hating cause they're pissed off that they missed out because they didn't think of teaming up with someone else

WickedBadMan
07-10-2010, 08:59 PM
So have either Barkley, Webber, or Miller won a championship before? And if Cuban thinks "the great ones do it by themselves" why does he try so hard trouble place talented players around Dirk.NOBODY wins by themselves. Basketball is a TEAM sport. You need good a TEAM to win. Even Jordan had help.

All these people are just jumping on the hate bandwagon. All the GMs are mad cause they did all they can to get lebron and they failed. All these retired players who never won a championship before are hating cause they're pissed off that they missed out because they didn't think of teaming up with someone else

I'm sure they thought of it, it's not really a ground breaking thought process. But I am sure the next thing that came to mind is how weak (and in Lebron's case) pathetic they would look doing it.

eibbor
07-10-2010, 09:00 PM

If he's on the same team yeah. With the rules they have today he'd probably have even been better.

Holydiver
07-10-2010, 09:03 PM
he would be better, they dont let Detroit Bad Boys play that style of game any longer.

It was ****ing football back in the Jordan rules days

FOBolous
07-10-2010, 09:03 PM
yes he can

Nope. He tried though. He averaged 37 ppg one season trying but he ultimately failed. He didn't start winning until pippen, another star, joined him

eibbor
07-10-2010, 09:08 PM
nope. He tried though. He averaged 37 ppg one season trying but he ultimately failed. He didn't start winning until pippen, another star, joined him

epic fail

he would be better, they dont let detroit bad boys play that style of game any longer.

It was ****ing football back in the jordan rules days

^^^

FOBolous
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
epic fail

^^^

How is it an epic fail when this was actually what happened? Your post sir, is the epic fail.

Bruno
07-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Wrong choice of words- nobody does it alone, or without one of the other best players in the NBA/multipal all-stars. But point taken.

BigAl25
07-11-2010, 02:55 AM
**** otis smith

HouRealCoach
07-11-2010, 03:12 AM

Duh, he was against Jordan... No one beat Jordan from 91 to 98 and that doesnt mean anything because Wilt didnt either but I know for a fact that he is a Top 5 player ever and since when have you had to have a specific way to win, winning is winning point blank!

Also "Great ones" dont win on their own... No one does its a team game

"you become a star individually, but you become a champion as a team"

ragee
07-11-2010, 03:39 AM

So you're saying, Magic, Isiah Thomas, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, David Robinson, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajawon are all irrelevant?

PrettyBoyJ
07-11-2010, 03:41 AM
cleveland spent 7 years looking for their pippen when all along they had their pippen who was looking for his jordan

lmfaooo!!!

J-Relo
07-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Great ones GET the HELP.

BronBron06
07-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Only in USA where Loyalty is even considered in TEAM SPORTS

Yeah yeah.... LeBron wasn't even born and raised in CLEVELAND it was AKRON

R cool J
07-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Nope. He tried though. He averaged 37 ppg one season trying but he ultimately failed. He didn't start winning until pippen, another star, joined him

Yeah, but you do know they did lose for 4 years with the same guys you're talking about...but Jordan stuck with em and lead them finally past detroit and then the lakers.

The Raven
07-11-2010, 05:39 AM

Bravo :clap::clap:

Its true though. Great one's should be able to prove to everyone that they can take a team from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs in a championship. Something Lebron proved he couldn't do. Thats why he had to go to Miami. Just to actually get a ring. Proves why he shouldnt even be considered the best player in the game right now

JordansBulls
07-11-2010, 09:31 AM

Umm no. Pippen was not a star when he joined MJ. He became a star after playing with MJ. Big Difference.

HiphopRelated
07-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah, but you do know they did lose for 4 years with the same guys you're talking about...but Jordan stuck with em and lead them finally past detroit and then the lakers.
Jordan had to wait 'til teams were old and broken down.

Lebron was witnessing teams as young as him being better than him

If all he had to wait on was Boston and LA to fall off, then sure he could probably try to "stick it out", but with Chicago and Miami entering the party with Orlando, Bron wouldn't have seen the Finals again before he turned 30.

BronBron06
07-11-2010, 10:07 AM
SCARS from SHAQUILLE ONEAL ONE OF THE GREAT CENTERS LEFT THEM

BAWWWWW ORLANDO MAGIC

xbrackattackx
07-11-2010, 10:11 AM

If all he had to wait on was Boston and LA to fall off, then sure he could probably try to "stick it out", but with Chicago and Miami entering the party with Orlando, Bron wouldn't have seen the Finals again before he turned 30.

This just made stop reading the rest of your reply. Yea cause he didn't crush every single superstar in the 90's dreams of getting a ring.

HiphopRelated
07-11-2010, 10:35 AM
This just made stop reading the rest of your reply. Yea cause he didn't crush every single superstar in the 90's dreams of getting a ring.
lol, you really think if those Boston and Lakers teams were in their prime in the 90's Jordan has 6 rings? and those were the teams being discussed

Unfortunately, the Bulls didn't make the Finals during the 2nd Rockets run. That would have been the best Finals of the decade.

effen5
07-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Umm no. Pippen was not a star when he joined MJ. He became a star after playing with MJ. Big Difference.

WOW THIS THIS THIS

Some of you need to go read up on Pippen...

HE WAS DRAFTED TO THE BULLS! Alright there is a huge difference here.

Jordan was incredible...Pippen WASN'T until Jordan made him GREAT.

Levagina is joining 1 great player and 1 all star player.....HUGE difference.

effen5
07-11-2010, 10:52 AM
lol, you really think if those Boston and Lakers teams were in their prime in the 90's Jordan has 6 rings? and those were the teams being discussed

Unfortunately, the Bulls didn't make the Finals during the 2nd Rockets run. That would have been the best Finals of the decade.

Hell yeah Jordan could have taken them on...if you gave Jordan the pip from the 90s and a rodman he would have a great chance of winning.....Jordan by himself almost took down Boston.....JORDAN BY HIMSELF ALMOST TOOK DOWN BOSTON.....

and how many hall of famers were on that Celtics team hmmm?????

effen5
07-11-2010, 10:58 AM

MJ with these rules? He would be avg 45ppg....

R cool J
07-11-2010, 04:09 PM

proves the point of him being a coward...you just said it yourself.

chitowncubears1
07-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Hate to break it too you, but miami is only winning maybe 1 or 2 championships.

Heater4life
07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
shaq left in his prime
but went to lal an was the man
then got traded to the heat

What I hate is the lack morality. Shaq left a title contending Orlando Magic team in his prime in order to chase money and be "the man". He was a selfish player that could not stand for anyone but himself to be the sole reason for a title. (left penny behind, then forced the trade because of Kobe) Yet his legacy isnt tarnished because he won.

Now a guy leaves his team (if you look at the cavs now without lebron, its sad. they dont have a lick of talent to make the playoffs) which hasnt contended for a title, in order to share the spotlight and left money on the table (miniscule or not he left it on the table) in order to win. Yet he gets frowned upon. you know why they frown on him? Because he chose the best possible teamates!!! (which is all he wanted). If he would have gone to chicago or new york i can bet my life the reaction would not have been as harsh.

R cool J
07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
What I hate is the lack morality. Shaq left a title contending Orlando Magic team in his prime in order to chase money and be "the man". He was a selfish player that could not stand for anyone but himself to be the sole reason for a title. (left penny behind, then forced the trade because of Kobe) Yet his legacy isnt tarnished because he won.

Now a guy leaves his team (if you look at the cavs now without lebron, its sad. they dont have a lick of talent to make the playoffs) which hasnt contended for a title, in order to share the spotlight and left money on the table (miniscule or not he left it on the table) in order to win. Yet he gets frowned upon. you know why they frown on him? Because he chose the best possible teamates!!! (which is all he wanted). If he would have gone to chicago or new york i can bet my life the reaction would not have been as harsh.

I'm gonna laugh my @** off if the Cavs make the playoffs next year.

Heater4life
07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
im not going to be an ignorant fan and say we will win x# of championships. but i will tell you this, for all the talk about the Heat needing a deep bench, Orlando and every other team better make theres deeper because there is 3 players that were in the top 10 in FT attempts last year on one team.

these guys are gonna lose shots for sure but if everyone thinks these guys are just going to stop getting to the line your being ignorant.

i think Otis better be carful he doesnt motivate the wrong guys.

Heater4life
07-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm gonna laugh my @** off if the Cavs make the playoffs next year.

I could care less, but in all seriousness man, im a basketball fan above anything else. When a team has great players it masks a bunch of defiencies that said team has ex. Heat last year, we had nothing beyond Wade, it was sad! i said it a million times in the Heat forum, it was sad to see Wade have to force up shots.

Take a look at the Cavs roster: Mo williams, Delonte, Jj hickson, Anthony parker, Antawn Jamison, Varejao. dude thats harsh.

blacknell
07-11-2010, 06:32 PM

I don't think jordan ever averaged 37 ppg