PDA

View Full Version : loyalty

KingsMadness44
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
One thing that most legends have in common is the fact that they were loyal to the team that drafted them. Here's a few examples Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Julius Erving, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem, and I'm sure there's plenty more and I'm talking about when all these players were in the primes of there career not before they about to retire. Idk that's jus my opinion that a lot of the all time great will be known for making the teams that drafted them very good teams

Thoughts?

Hawkeye15
07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
many of the players you listed either walked into great situations that they would be stupid to leave, or by their 7th year were actual contenders.
There is something to be said for loyalty. But when you see how inept your franchise is in the middle of your prime, like LeBron did, its better to get out if you want to win rings.

JordansBulls
07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
One thing that most legends have in common is the fact that they were loyal to the team that drafted them. Here's a few examples Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem, Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Julius Erving, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem, and I'm sure there's plenty more and I'm talking about when all these players were in the primes of there career not before they about to retire. Idk that's jus my opinion that a lot of the all time great will be known for making the teams that drafted them very good teams

Thoughts?

I think when you say loyalty the only guys who were in the same boat that Lebron was in was MJ, Malone, Stockton, Ewing, Hakeem.

The reason I used those guys is because they all came into a losing situation. All the other guys already had star players on their teams, so it is much easier to stay loyal to them.

My whole thing is how does Lebron leave a team that was the only team to win 60+ games last year to say he wants to win. It's not like he was winning 40 games or less

KingsMadness44
07-09-2010, 04:32 PM
This is kind off off subject but I'm listening to Pleasure P- I did you wrong and I honestly believe it sums up how cleveland is feeling right now........lebron is the girl and pleasure p is the cavs if u listen I promise u will laugh if u think of it like that......I did at least

Hellcrooner
07-09-2010, 04:35 PM
dr J was not loyal he ditched the squires for the nest then nets for sixers.

malone spoiled his oyalty coming to lakers.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I think when you say loyalty the only guys who were in the same boat that Lebron was in was MJ, Malone, Stockton, Ewing, Hakeem.

The reason I used those guys is because they all came into a losing situation. All the other guys already had star players on their teams, so it is much easier to stay loyal to them.

My whole thing is how does Lebron leave a team that was the only team to win 60+ games last year to say he wants to win. It's not like he was winning 40 games or less

Cleveland was the definition of a phantom contender, and you know it. They didn't have anything that could score outside LeBron when it mattered, and they were simply a collection of really good role players.

Human FlameShld
07-09-2010, 04:45 PM

Thoughts?

Kobe was not drafted by the Lakers.

Kobe when his team started losing he tried to talk and whine his way out of town and was very very close to not being a Laker and being a Bull.

He does not fit the point your trying to make with the other guys.

JordansBulls
07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Cleveland was the definition of a phantom contender, and you know it. They didn't have anything that could score outside LeBron when it mattered, and they were simply a collection of really good role players.

Best record in the league is not a phantom contender.

borat
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM

This is the money point. I have said this before. It is not about "winning" It is about finding the easiest way to "win" Whether you want to look at him as cowardly, or taking the easy way out is up to you. Personally i think it is a bit of ego mixed in with him just not being able to handle pressure. Plus his loyalty to Cleveland was never really there.

Truheatfan
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
many of the players you listed either walked into great situations that they would be stupid to leave, or by their 7th year were actual contenders.
There is something to be said for loyalty. But when you see how inept your franchise is in the middle of your prime, like LeBron did, its better to get out if you want to win rings.

GREAT POINT!! :clap:

look at kg!! no offense... kool sig though!

thekmp211
07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Best record in the league is not a phantom contender.

then the record is not the indicator.

it was painfully clear that that team was stuck where it was. similar to the mavericks in the west, they just couldn't get another player to take the heat off of lebron.

to say he didn't have legitimate competitive reasons to leave cleveland is just silly. i think he would have much rather had the celtics regular season record and a finals appearance than 60 wins and an early exit.

thekmp211
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
This is the money point. I have said this before. It is not about "winning" It is about finding the easiest way to "win" Whether you want to look at him as cowardly, or taking the easy way out is up to you. Personally i think it is a bit of ego mixed in with him just not being able to handle pressure. Plus his loyalty to Cleveland was never really there.

how is it his ego when he is joining two prominent stars' on one of their teams?

people are confusing how they feel about the spectacle and how they feel about the team.

chickendinner11
07-09-2010, 04:59 PM
did you notice most/all of the guys that were listed are all old school? it's a different game now, the money is different, the loyalty is different, the business is different. it's going to be a thing of the past for players to stay with their original teams. it's happening in football, baseball. it's not comparable in my mind to say guys can/should stay with 1 club anymore.

Vincent33
07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
LeBron doesn't know what loyalty means. He has been and always will be a follower and frontrunner. Growing up he decided to be a fan of the Yankees and Cowboys because they were winning. And now he is following his friends to Miami because it's the easy thing to do. Fans in Cleveland probably saw this coming, but obviously didn't believe how James handled the whole situation. Comparisons to Jordan, Magic, and now even Kobe are done. LeBron will NEVER reach their level, even if he is able to help Miami win some titles.

Also, I still don't get how Wade, James, and Bosh are all saying they are "sacrificing" to take less money to help Riley bring more players and their "talents to South Beach" when Florida has no state tax and they would be making more money there anyways.

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Kobe was not drafted by the Lakers.

Kobe when his team started losing he tried to talk and whine his way out of town and was very very close to not being a Laker and being a Bull.

Was it demanding to be traded, or was it trying to get something done in the front office? They offered Kobe a trade to the Bulls. He declined with his no trade clause. Was it because he had to have Luol Deng??? I doubt it. I think if he really wanted to leave, he could have done so at any time. If he truly wanted to leave, he would not have played as hard as he did the year he supposedly wanted to play on Pluto.

Avenged
07-09-2010, 05:50 PM
A perfect example of this is KG in my opinion. He stayed with the Wolves out of loyalty throughout his career and now has publicly stated he wish he would have left sooner.

If Lebron ends up winning a ring in Miami then it's worth it for him and it was the best move career wise.

If he doesn't, well it just makes matters that much worse.

Melo15
07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/07/josh_cribbs_tweets_a_pic_of_a.html

IDB Josh M
07-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Lebron should have made his decision quietly. That's the sticking point with everyone. Its understandable that you want to win, its understandable that you want rings, its understandable you want to market yourself better. Shaq left with a little less fanfare. Arguably, Orlando didn't really miss him after he left. When Shaq left Los Angeles, at least he bought a full page ad in the Los Angeles Times to thank the Laker fans for their support.

Lebron should have had the decency to say, its not working out.

RadiantShot
07-09-2010, 06:03 PM
A perfect example of this is KG in my opinion. He stayed with the Wolves out of loyalty throughout his career and now has publicly stated he wish he would have left sooner.

If Lebron ends up winning a ring in Miami then it's worth it for him and it was the best move career wise.

If he doesn't, well it just makes matters that much worse.

I know where you're going with this; And that does actually make a lot of sense. LeBron and Kevin were both a breath of fresh air to their respective teams, and had to leave one way or the other. Why is it we hassle LeBron, and not Kevin Garnett? Questions like this make me wonder. The only difference is that LeBron is vastly more important than Kevin Garnett was in Minnesota; but still. I guess it's because LeBron did the hour-long special. I wouldn't have as much hatred if it wasn't for "The Decision."

RulerSlick
07-09-2010, 07:23 PM

co-sign:clap: