PDA

View Full Version : The future is bright - 2010 Jays minor league thread - Thread #2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bob_at_york
07-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Last one was full and there didn't seem to be any active discussions. Let's continue!

blujaysrock
07-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Jacob Marisnick hitting .259/.369/.444 1 HR 7 RBI 3 SB in GCL

Why is everyone so high on this kid? Am I missing something? :hide:

Pride
07-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Despite the low average, he still maintains a good OPS of 800+. Plus, it looks like he has some plate discipline, which is always a good sign from prospects.

bomber0104
07-09-2010, 01:54 PM

the guy is getting his first taste of pro baseball and he seems enthusiastic about playing for the Jays.. how about you give the guy some time.

blujaysrock
07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
the guy is getting his first taste of pro baseball and he seems enthusiastic about playing for the Jays.. how about you give the guy some time.

I'm not dissing him or anything. I've just heard a lot of people are high on him and intrigued by him. He's not doing bad, but it's not like he's doing great. But he's still young so he's still quite a few years away. I just wanted to know if I was missing something on him, because all of you guys seem to love him. I know nothing about him.

But back to the futures, Loewen still hitting .270 with a .360 OBP. I believe his contract runs out at the end of this year, you think he re-ups for another 2 years?

bartron_44
07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
^^exactly...lil early to judge I think...

On a different note, how about the improvement Ryan Goins has had at the plate this season in Lansing. I think he should stop trying to steal bases, but he is a SS with an .800+ OPS so far this season..A.J Jimenez is an .800+ OPS catcher with 15 SB's so far this season in only 51 games..

bartron_44
07-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm not dissing him or anything. I've just heard a lot of people are high on him and intrigued by him. He's not doing bad, but it's not like he's doing great. But he's still young so he's still quite a few years away. I just wanted to know if I was missing something on him, because all of you guys seem to love him. I know nothing about him.

But back to the futures, Loewen still hitting .270 with a .360 OBP. I believe his contract runs out at the end of this year, you think he re-ups for another 2 years?

I hope so, he has come a LONG way this season compared to last year. I think he would put up very good numbers if they let him loose in the PCL..He is a 6'5 left handed bat who hits for extra base power. He also steals bases, and has an arm strong enough to play either corner OF position...pretty good prospect imo..

JaysFan87
07-09-2010, 04:11 PM

how can anyone do good or bad in 16 games....you really got chill if u were expecting anything this earlier. This "KID" u speak of is just a kid he only turned 20 three months ago so chill. THis guy has huge potential that takes time to develop.

FlakeyFool
07-09-2010, 04:31 PM
you guys are really touchy around prospects

broncosfan_101
07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Marisnick went 3-4 with a 2B and 2 SB today, pushing his line to .293/.391/.483. He also just turned 19 in March, not 20.

Macedonian
07-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Alvarez named to MLB Futures World Team

Dunedin starter Henderson Alvarez was named to the World Team for the 2010 MLB XM Futures Game in Anaheim, CA on Sunday, July 11.
The 20-year-old right-hander from Venezuela has shown more than just flashes of brilliance so far this season with Dunedin, compiling a 6-4 record and sitting second behind Chuck Huggins for the team lead in ERA amongst starters at 3.38.

Alvarez was named to the Florida State League 1st half All-Star team, and was ranked as the #5 prospect in the Toronto Blue Jays organization for the 2010 season by Baseball America, turning heads with his mid-90's fastball and offsetting change-up.

Former Dunedin reliever Trystan Magnuson of the Double-A New Hampshire Fishercats will join him on the World Team pitching staff.

The 6'7" Canadian was just named to the Eastern League 1st half All-Star team and has been dominant with the Fishercats this season, going 2-0 with a 2.30 ERA in 27 appearances.

The two Blue Jays representatives will be a part of the Major League All-Star Weekend festivities, a game that starts at 6 p.m. EST at Angel Stadium. Former Futures Game players in the Blue Jays system now playing in the Major Leagues include center fielder Vernon Wells and second baseman Aaron Hill.
http://dunedin.bluejays.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100702&content_id=11861122&vkey=news_t424&fext=.jsp&sid=t424

Macedonian
07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Drabek tonight...
6.0 IP ; 5 H ; 1 BB ; 0 R ; 0 ER ; 5 K!

idrinkpepsi
07-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Drabek tonight...
6.0 IP ; 5 H ; 1 BB ; 0 R ; 0 ER ; 5 K!

Good start.
:)

BlueJayCarter
07-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Good lines for Drabek and Marisnick

broncosfan_101
07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Egan Smith K'd 5 and walked 1 in 6 IP today. This 21 year old now has 31 K's and 6 BB's in 39 IP this year. He's officially on the radar...

BlueJayFanDan
07-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Egan Smith is the man! I have been all over him since last summer. Glad he is still doing awesome!

Macedonian
07-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Someone just homered for Las Vegas 51s... Guess who?:)

The Slave
07-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Arencibia with his 23rd HR !

:clap:

Madness23
07-10-2010, 09:16 AM
^^ man bring him up, we have nothing to lose, we are not in contention, thats obvious !! good to see drabek continue to dominate

scotttube
07-10-2010, 09:52 AM

It seems like you're saying those are bad stats. I know it's extremely early but what is not to like in that line? I hope you're not one of those people who thinks the average is most important.

blujaysrock
07-10-2010, 10:08 AM
It seems like you're saying those are bad stats. I know it's extremely early but what is not to like in that line? I hope you're not one of those people who thinks the average is most important.

I was just asking why everyone is high on this guy, his stats aren't horrible but it's not something I would get excited about. But like I said in my last post he's only 19 and it;s his first season of pro ball so it's not like he's doing bad or anything. I never heard much on the guy before and I was just trying to see if he's anything special. From what you guys have said and from what i've been reading he seems like he has all the tools and someone said that he really wants to be part of the Jays which is a good thing.

I didn't mean to come off like I was nagging on him, I just wanted to know why everyone thought he was so special but now I know, he seems like a real nice talent.

nstojic
07-10-2010, 10:49 AM
^^ many are high on him because he's one of the 'toolsiest' prospects we have and he's still so young... he fell in the draft... people acknowledged his tools and that he could mature into a decent 5-tool guy but i think some injury caused a poor showing at some high school tourney that many scouts came out to watch... all in all he's got high potential and he seems genuinely happy to be with the jays... that's always a plus, in my books

Jays Claw
07-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Blue Jays (43-44)

1. Fred Lewis - LF
2. Alex Gonzalez - SS
3. Jose Bautista - RF
4. Vernon Wells - CF
5. Adam Lind - DH
6. Aaron Hill - 2B
7. Lyle Overbay - 1B
8. Edwin Encarnacion - 3B
9. Jose Molina - C

Brandon Morrow - P {96.0 IP, 4.69 ERA, .256 AVG, 1.42 WHIP, 45 BB & 107 SO}

Red Sox

1. Marco Scutaro - SS
2. Daniel Nava - LF
3. David Ortiz - DH
4. Kevin Youkilis - 1B
5. Adrian Beltre - 3B
6. J.D Drew - RF
7. Mike Cameron - CF
8. Bill Hall - 2B
8. Gustavo Molina - C

John Lackey - P {108.1 IP, 4.40 ERA, .295 AVG, 1.54 WHIP, 40 BB & 66 SO}

bomber0104
07-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I cant wait to see JPA, Wallace and Snider with the big club. that will be a pleasent injection of youth

Jays Claw
07-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Blue Jays (43-44)

1. Fred Lewis - LF
2. Alex Gonzalez - SS
3. Jose Bautista - RF
4. Vernon Wells - CF
5. Adam Lind - DH
6. Aaron Hill - 2B
7. Lyle Overbay - 1B
8. Edwin Encarnacion - 3B
9. Jose Molina - C

Brandon Morrow - P {96.0 IP, 4.69 ERA, .256 AVG, 1.42 WHIP, 45 BB & 107 SO}

Red Sox

1. Marco Scutaro - SS
2. Daniel Nava - LF
3. David Ortiz - DH
4. Kevin Youkilis - 1B
5. Adrian Beltre - 3B
6. J.D Drew - RF
7. Mike Cameron - CF
8. Bill Hall - 2B
8. Gustavo Molina - C

John Lackey - P {108.1 IP, 4.40 ERA, .295 AVG, 1.54 WHIP, 40 BB & 66 SO}

I posted this in the wrong forum. :facepalm:

The_Jet11
07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
ah, well in light of Claw's lineup post, and Bomber's excitement about Snider, JPA and Wallace joining the lineup later in the season, I got thinking about what the september batting order could look like.

I've assumed that Buck, Overbay amd Encarnacion are not in the lineup.. in case they are traded (Buck, Overbay?), riding pine (E5), or are getting the day off

i'm going to hope that we hang on to Bautista and Gonzalez due to a lack of a true stud prospect ready to step in to begin the 2011 season, and the fact that both are of relatively good value on the dollar. If a deal of significance for either player comes up, you'd have to make it happen though.

At any rate, I like the look of this!

LF Lewis (L)
SS Gonzalez (R)
3B Bautista (R)
CF Wells (R)
DH Lind (L)
2B Hill (R)
1B Wallace (L)
C Arencibia (R)
RF Snider (L)

The order may change if Lind and Hill return to their 2009 form.. or if Bautista or Gonzalez return to THEIR 2009 form.

By opening day, I'd expect to see something more like this:

LF Lewis (L)
2B Hill (R)
DH Lind (L)
CF Wells (R)
1B Wallace (L)
C Arencibia (R)
RF Snider (L)
3B Bautista (R)
SS Gonzalez (R)

If the Jays hit a lot of HRs this year.. imagine the power potential next year!

bomber0104
07-10-2010, 03:38 PM
ah, well in light of Claw's lineup post, and Bomber's excitement about Snider, JPA and Wallace joining the lineup later in the season, I got thinking about what the september batting order could look like.

I've assumed that Buck, Overbay amd Encarnacion are not in the lineup.. in case they are traded (Buck, Overbay?), riding pine (E5), or are getting the day off

i'm going to hope that we hang on to Bautista and Gonzalez due to a lack of a true stud prospect ready to step in to begin the 2011 season, and the fact that both are of relatively good value on the dollar. If a deal of significance for either player comes up, you'd have to make it happen though.

At any rate, I like the look of this!

LF Lewis (L)
SS Gonzalez (R)
3B Bautista (R)
CF Wells (R)
DH Lind (L)
2B Hill (R)
1B Wallace (L)
C Arencibia (R)
RF Snider (L)

The order may change if Lind and Hill return to their 2009 form.. or if Bautista or Gonzalez return to THEIR 2009 form.

By opening day, I'd expect to see something more like this:

LF Lewis (L)
2B Hill (R)
DH Lind (L)
CF Wells (R)
1B Wallace (L)
C Arencibia (R)
RF Snider (L)
3B Bautista (R)
SS Gonzalez (R)

If the Jays hit a lot of HRs this year.. imagine the power potential next year!

anyone 2-9 can hit 20+

Pride
07-10-2010, 05:07 PM
anyone 2-9 can hit 20+

Unfortunately, their OBP is going to look quite ugly.

bomber0104
07-11-2010, 01:45 AM
So Arencibia was apparently fed up with hitting a HR every game..

he decided to hit 2..

2-3 so far with 2 HRs, 3 RBIs

you kinda have to trade Buck at this point because pitchers will eventually stop pitching to him. Actually, I'm wondering why it has taken them so long to figure it out

nstojic
07-11-2010, 01:53 AM
so....51's played a double header, today...

JPA? not much in the first game, caught a guy stealing..

game 2: 2/3 2 HR's 3 RBI's

that's now 25 HR 64 RBI!!!!

------

Hech 2/2, 1 2B, BA now .250 in AA

Stewart 6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K --- last 10 starts: 5-1, 3.19, 62 IP, 59 H, 26 BB, 49 K

Tiny Tim? 1 more IP, 0 ER, 3 more K's... he's playing with AA... 42 IP, 27 H, 16 BB, 72 K!!!

broncosfan_101
07-11-2010, 01:57 AM
JPA was just mad that he didn't homer in the afternoon game, so he decided to make up for it.

1hardcore
07-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Jpa for minor league m ****en v p

nstojic
07-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Jpa for minor league m ****en v p

he'll accept the honour, once we get back from our honeymoon... :D

nstojic
07-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Arencibia singled in Saturday's opener and homered twice in the second game to extend his season-high hitting streak to 18 games. He's hitting .319 with a league-leading 25 homers and 64 RBIs. Named a starter for the PCL in Wednesday's Triple-A All-Star Game, he also leads the league in total bases (199) and slugging percentage (.644) and is second in doubles (26).

First baseman Brett Wallace and outfielder Chris Lubanski also were named PCL All-Stars. But Lubanski was placed on the disabled list Monday because of an oblique injury and will miss the game

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/potent-hitting-hasn-t-hid-51s--other-flaws-98190474.html

nstojic
07-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Kyle Drabek - "Halladay's heir apparent"
http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/article/834584--meet-doc-halladay-s-heir-apparent?bn=1

Kyle Jordan Drabek came into the world three years earlier, on Dec. 8, 1987, the middle child between older brother Justin and sister Kelsey. Kyle was the shy one, a diffidence he’s scarcely shed in the intervening years.

“He was always the one who stood back and took note of everything,” says his mother, Kristy Drabek. “He would never talk about himself. He’s like Doug.”

The youngster had a real soft spot for old people, babies and animals, not least his beloved chocolate Labrador, Slugger.

His mother still has vivid memories of Kyle carrying a baby bird home in his baseball cap, which died by the time they got it to vet. “It was a big deal that we had to save that bird,” she says.

The other side of Kyle wasn’t quite as sweet, even as a little kid. “He’s two people in one,” says Kristy.

When they were playing soccer on the same team, Kyle would routinely take the ball away from his own brother. “He was very much a stinker,” Kristy says. “He was just so competitive from such a young age.”

As early as Grade 7, Kyle’s talents stood out, which is when Mark Schmid first laid eyes on him.

By the time he got to The Woodlands High School outside Houston, where Schmid toils as athletic director and football coach, Kyle was a triple threat — alternating between shortstop and pitcher at the ballpark and wide receiver on the football field.

It was all there, the great hands, the easy movement, what Schmid calls “a really physical kid.” As a high school pitcher, Kyle notched 30 wins and just one loss, hitting 27 home runs along the way.

Not quite there was Kyle’s head, the emotional control. Having struck out, he’d return to the dugout and smash his bat against the fence, or throw his helmet down if he missed a catchable football.

“Kyle’s harshest critic is himself and it always has been,” says Schmid. “Kyle has high expectations. Your dad’s a Cy Young winner and you’re his kid. That’s a tough place to be. All eyes are on you.”

There was, naturally, hell to pay when a teenage Kyle was caught drunk in public. “He’ll tell you he was grounded his whole life,” laughs his mother.

While dad wisely stayed away from practices, he went to almost every game his son played as a kid, and he wasn’t averse to tough love.

One tantrum proved one too many for Drabek père, recalls Kristy. “Doug went into that dugout and threw him up against the fence and said, ‘Don’t you ever do that again.’”

The senior Drabek has much the same message for the coaches, recalls Schmid. “If he acts that way, put him on the bench. Don’t let him act that way.”

Kyle’s obvious talents made him a first-round draft pick, 18th overall, right out of high school. He became part of the Phillies’ organization, which is where the right-hander expected to stay after going through the now-inevitable Tommy John surgery to reconstruct the ligaments of his pitching arm.

Then his name started surfacing last July in trade rumours. “At the time he was supposedly an untouchable,” says Kristy. “When the trade didn’t happen, it was a sigh of relief.”

It was back to normal, or so Kyle thought until December, when he was watching ESPN at a friend’s house. There was his name flashing across the ticker at the bottom of the screen. “It was a little weird that I didn’t get a call from the Phillies before that,” says Kyle.

But his dad was quick to tell him that, no matter how much you love your teammates, baseball is a business, which in Kyle’s case meant going to the Jays’ affiliate in New Hampshire.

Kyle pronounces himself happy, especially as the Fisher Cats gel. “Our team’s crushing the ball now and our defence is amazing, so it’s kind of hard to complain when everything’s working for you when you’re pitching.”

So far this season, Kyle’s record is 9-8 after pitching six scoreless innings against Binghamton, NY, Friday night. That was his first game after pitching the no-hitter, a feat not even his father ever accomplished. (The closest dad got was in the majors, pitching eight and two-thirds hitless innings, only to falter when the final out was at the plate.)

There is, however, still work ahead for Drabek the younger. He’s always had a scary fastball, north of 90 mph, and a solid curveball, which amount to the bare basics. Lately, he’s added a cutter, essentially a fastball that cuts away at the last minute.

The missing piece — a changeup — is still a work in progress, says coach Signore. “He hits on about 50 per cent of them now. He’s got to become more consistent with it, because if he misses with that pitch in the big leagues, it’s probably going to cost him a run.”

If Kyle needed proof of that pitch’s value, it came in the Binghamton game. “That was my best pitch,” he says. “It got me out of trouble a bunch.”

Signore won’t talk about when Kyle might be ready to move up to the Jays. But he insists Kyle’s minor-league record is deceptive. He could just as easily be 15-2 or 16-1. “He’s pitched that well,” Signore says. “He hasn’t been knocked around by any means.

“For a guy to get that many decisions, he’s got to pitch deep into games. If a guy’s out there that long, he’s giving you a chance to win.”

Until this year, Kyle and his dad mostly talked about the mechanics of pitching, how to learn new pitches.

But that’s changed of late, and it probably helps that Doug has returned to the game, as pitching coach with Short-Season A Yakima Bears, surrounded by youngsters.

“I’m having to deal with the same things he’s going through,” says Doug. “We talk more about the mental part of it, more so than the actual pitching part of it.”

The kind of maturity, in other words, that it takes to succeed in the big leagues, to get past the inevitable setbacks along the way.

“Growing up, I was competitive and I never wanted to lose,” says Kyle. “Once I got to professional ball, my dad was like, ‘you’re gonna lose, you’re gonna lose a lot. Just get used to it. You can’t get mad about it.

nstojic
07-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Tim Collins & Trystan Magnuson, In-Depth

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/long-amp-short-relief

Their young life stories could be turned into a baseball buddy movie with little effort.

There's Tim Collins, the 5-foot-7 lefty from Worcester, Mass., who went undrafted, was miraculously discovered in an American Legion game and is now torching the Eastern League as the closer for the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. And there's his best friend and bullpen mate, Trystan Magnuson, the 6-7 Canadian-born righty who was cut twice from his high school junior varsity team, walked on at the University of Louisville, transformed almost overnight with help from his little brother into the 56th overall pick in the 2007 draft and is currently piling up minor league accolades.

You can almost hear the movie trailer voice now: "Mags and Collins, the long and the short of it. They came from opposite corners of the country, but neither would take no for an answer. Now, they're Brothers in Arms."

The parent club recently sent orders to the Fisher Cats to use both Collins and Magnuson in the closer role, which doesn't mean they are ticketed to be big league closers, but it does mean the organization wants to push these two and test their limits.

"They've proven they can get quality people out if they throw quality pitches," said Fisher Cats pitching coach Tim Signore, who has worked with Collins and Magnuson for the last two seasons in New Hampshire and in 2008 with the Lansing Lugnuts. "I don't foresee them as closers in the major leagues, but middle guys, absolutely."

Collins, 20, and Magnuson, 25, have come up together through the Blue Jays system for the last four years and it seemed likely they would make a special co-appearance on July 14 - at the 2010 Eastern League All-Star Game in Harrisburg, Penn. After posting a 2.27 ERA and 1.12 WHIP in 28 appearances this year, Magnuson was named to the Eastern Division team just a few days after it was announced he would be playing in the All-Star Futures Game for the World team next Sunday during the Major League All-Star Weekend in Anaheim.

Collins won't be joining Magnuson in Harrisburg for the EL All-Star affair, which seems ridiculous after looking at his numbers. In 39 innings, Collins has struck out 65, walked just 15 and allowed 24 hits. He leads the EL in strikeouts per nine innings with a 15.0 average (second is 12.6) and he's 10th in WHIP (1.00). But Collins just shrugs off the snub; it's something he's grown used to over the years.

"I've had to prove people wrong my whole life," Collins said. "I really do feed off people that have doubted me, and there are still people that do. So that's what I'm here for, to prove them wrong."

Despite a 91-5 record as a four-year starter at Worcester Vocational High School, Collins went undrafted after graduating in 2007. So he signed on at the Community College of Rhode Island with the simple hopes of furthering his education and collegiate baseball career.

"(From CCRI) I was looking to go to a D1 or a really good D2 school, like Franklin Pierce was in my mind," Collins said. "But my hopes were just to play at a good D1 or D2 school and that was it, just get a good job after that."

All that changed when then-Toronto General Manager J.P. Riccardi was tipped off about Collins. Riccardi, a Worcester native as well, went home and saw this tiny lefty strike out 12 of 12 in four innings during a Legion game. Collins worked out for the Blue Jays again, signed a contract and all of a sudden found himself in the Gulf Coast League. He was just 17, said he weighed around 130 pounds, and his new teammates thought he was someone's little brother when he first showed up. It was also the first time Collins met Magnuson. "We just hit it off right away," Magnuson said. "We both love muscle cars and sports and guitars. We've been roommates every year until now, but we're still roommates on the road. We go everywhere together, hang out, eat, it's a lot of fun."

"He's a guy, whether it's pitching or off the field stuff, who is great to talk to. He's got a lot of knowledge and he's a great guy," Collins said. "There are no words I can say. He's been an awesome friend."
That first trip to the Gulf Coast League also introduced Collins to the cold reality that he needed to get bigger and stronger. So during the offseason he committed to an intense and creative workout program at Cressey Performance in Hudson, Mass.

When Collins reported to spring training in 2008, he weighed 155 pounds and his fastball had gone from 82-85 mph to the 87-89 range and he went 4-2 with a 1.58 ERA, 98 strikeouts and 32 walks in 68⅓ innings for Lansing that season. After another winter of workouts in New England, Collins gained more weight and velocity, hitting 90-92 on the gun and he went 9-7 with a 2.91 ERA, 116 strikeouts and 35 walks in 77⅓ innings between Single-A Dunedin and New Hampshire. He began this season at 180 pounds and is clocking in at 92-94 mph.

Collins's effective fastball is balanced by a wicked 12-6 curve that Baseball America rates as the best curve in the Blue Jays minor league system. He has a memorable motion - straight over-the-top delivery with a high leg kick - that he said comes from "trying to throw the ball as hard as I can, got to get everything into it." That windup, coupled with Collins's size and even the long hair flowing from the back of his cap, reminds many of San Francisco pitcher Tim Lincecum. It also reminds the Fisher Cats' Signore of another lefty.

"He's always had that delivery," Signore said. "It's funny, you watch old clips of Sandy Koufax and that upper body - and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's Sandy Koufax at all - but it's that same type of delivery."

"Being a 6-7 guy, all the parts are little bit harder to put together," Magnuson said. "So it takes some time to put it together the way I want to."

That's part of the reason Magnuson was cut twice in high school. And why he had to walk on in college. And why he was 0-9 with a 5.40 ERA in 2008, his first season of pro ball.

Magnuson may have struggled, but he wasn't about to let a few bumps like that make him quit. He has a work ethic inspired by his late uncle Keith Magnuson, a defenseman who played in the NHL from 1969-1979 and captained the Chicago Blackhawks. Magnuson plays baseball with a hockey player's hustle, sprinting from the bullpen to the mound when he's called on and doing everything in between at full throttle.

"I try (to) model myself after my uncle Keith, so when I run out there, I run hard," said Magnuson, who was born in Vancouver and played hockey until his family moved to Louisville when he was 12. "My uncle was the guy pushing the goalie out of the way to get on the ice and skate around really fast for warm-ups. And I just love watching videos of him on Youtube, flying in from nowhere into the pile. He didn't win hardly any fights, he was like 50/50, but it didn't matter, that was the job he was given, he enjoyed doing it and he went after it with everything he had, and that's what I want to do."

Magnuson finally made his high school team as a senior and decided to walk on at Louisville almost on a whim, figuring he had a slim chance to make it but was used to being cut. He did make it and put up decent numbers for his first three seasons, but Magnuson didn't earn any scholarship money until his senior year (even then it was partial) and didn't draw attention from scouts until then, either.

After his junior year, Magnuson's younger brother Sam, a walk-on catcher at Louisville, broke down Trystan's mechanics. Sam told Trystan he didn't throw like a major leaguer and showed him tapes of Nolan Ryan to prove it. Trystan agreed with the theory and the two went to work.
"It was weird, every two weeks I gained a mile an hour, it was crazy. And you know it's not steroids," said the 6-7, 210-pound Magnuson as he brandished a thin right arm. "It was all mechanics."

After throwing 86-89 mph as a junior at Louisville, Magnuson now throws between 91-94. As he gained miles per hour during his senior season, his stock rose dramatically - from undrafted after his junior year to No. 56 as a senior.

He took an eight-month break from pitching after college, and his relatively new mechanics got thrown out of whack for most of 2008, which led to the 0-9 year at Lansing. But Magnuson regained his rhythm and consistency in 2009 and went 5-1 with a 2.39 ERA and 1.22 WHIP in 71⅔ innings between New Hampshire and Dunedin. Now the affable big man is trying to learn about killer instinct from his buddy Collins.

"Tim just goes after every pitch and wants to dominate the hitter," Magnuson said. "Sometimes I try to be too perfect and he tells me, 'Just throw the ball as hard as you can and dominate.' And that really helps me. You can have gratitude toward that and it's just awesome to be around a guy like that who wants to win."

Macedonian
07-11-2010, 08:24 AM
JPA with 25 HR (2nd most in ALL minor leagues... total of 19 leagues, and 244 teams)!

Victor Diaz (29-year old) .......... 29 HR
J.P. Arencibia (24-year old) ...... 25 HR
Dan Johnson (31-year old) ....... 24 HR
Brad Eldred (30-year old) ......... 22 HR
Luis A. Garcia (32-year old) ...... 21 HR

blujaysrock
07-11-2010, 08:58 AM
JPA with 25 HR (2nd most in ALL minor leagues... total of 19 leagues, and 244 teams)!

Victor Diaz (29-year old) .......... 29 HR
J.P. Arencibia (24-year old) ...... 25 HR
Dan Johnson (31-year old) ....... 24 HR
Brad Eldred (30-year old) ......... 22 HR
Luis A. Garcia (32-year old) ...... 21 HR

Nice to see he's the youngest of the bunch as well. This guy seems pretty legit and will probably be called up soon, hopefully we can flip Buck for a spec or 2 and let JPA and Molina split the time. As of right now it sure looks like he's going to be our starting catcher next season, and good for him, hopefully he can stick like so many before him couldn't do (Diaz, Thigpen, Quiroz, etc)

North Yorker
07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Nice to see he's the youngest of the bunch as well. This guy seems pretty legit and will probably be called up soon, hopefully we can flip Buck for a spec or 2 and let JPA and Molina split the time. As of right now it sure looks like he's going to be our starting catcher next season, and good for him, hopefully he can stick like so many before him couldn't do (Diaz, Thigpen, Quiroz, etc)

I wonder where he ranks in prospects in all of baseball. Has certainly had a bounce back year. This is why I wasnt sure if he could move to 3rd or not, because he has the bat and prolly the arm strength to do it.. Maybe he could later on down the line if one of our other C's work out.

nstojic
07-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I wonder where he ranks in prospects in all of baseball. Has certainly had a bounce back year. This is why I wasnt sure if he could move to 3rd or not, because he has the bat and prolly the arm strength to do it.. Maybe he could later on down the line if one of our other C's work out.

the jays are really high on these 3...these are the 3 guys who, if they reach their 'potential', will force JPA to another position

AJ Jimenez http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543362

Travis d'Arnaud http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=518595

Carlos Perez http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=542208

North Yorker
07-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Baseball America's Midseason Updated Top 25- July 9, 2010

23. Kyle Drabek, rhp, Blue Jays (Double-A New Hampshire): Drabek's strikeouts are down, perhaps due in part to a slight dip in velocity, as he's sitting 90-91 according to some reports. His curveball remains plus, and his changeup has become average. A July 4 no-hitter hinted at his potential.

Prospects 26-50 (in alphabetical order): Chris Carter, 1b, Athletics; Jared Cosart, rhp, Phillies; Travis d'Arnaud, c, Blue Jays; Randall Delgado, rhp, Braves; Christian Friedrich, lhp, Rockies; Dee Gordon, ss, Dodgers; Grant Green, ss, Athletics; Brett Jackson, of, Cubs; John Lamb, lhp, Royals; Jordan Lyles, rhp, Astros; Ethan Martin, rhp, Dodgers; Shelby Miller, rhp, Cardinals; Mike Minor, lhp, Braves; Wil Myers, c, Royals; Wilson Ramos, c, Twins; Austin Romine, c, Yankees; Wilin Rosario, c, Rockies; Tony Sanchez, c, Pirates; Jonathan Singleton, 1b, Phillies; Jacob Turner, rhp, Tigers; Arodys Vizcaino, rhp, Braves; Brett Wallace, 1b, Blue Jays; Zach Wheeler, rhp, Giants; Alex White, rhp, Indians; Chris Withrow, rhp, Dodgers.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2010/2610314.html

Surprised that JPA didnt make the list with the season he's had. And plus it would have been nice to get Domonic Brown in the Doc trade (#1 on the list), but we wouldnt have gotten Drabek or Wallace(Taylor) probably.

nstojic
07-11-2010, 10:04 AM
^^ drabek/brown would have been a dream... but with roy saying 'either trade now or no trade at the deadline', AA didn't have as much leverage... oh well but yeah, browns a beast..

and getting wallace for this guy, seems to be paying off, so far: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=446345

bomber0104
07-11-2010, 12:27 PM
the jays are really high on these 3...these are the 3 guys who, if they reach their 'potential', will force JPA to another position

AJ Jimenez http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543362

Travis d'Arnaud http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=518595

Carlos Perez http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=542208

i'm loving the possibilities here. I hope at least 1 of these guys makes it and sticks.. that way we solve our C and 3B problems

FlakeyFool
07-11-2010, 12:47 PM
wow micheal taylor is having a downer of a year

BlueJayCarter
07-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately, their OBP is going to look quite ugly.

I don't know. Murphy and Cito have gone them hitting home runs this season. Maybe they can work on getting a couple more walks and hits batsmen in Spring Training as long as it doesn't hurt the homerun next year.

bomber0104, I think Lewis could hit 15 homeruns. So 2-9 20 HR in a season and #1 15HR is an impressive line-up.

BlueJayCarter
07-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Hopefully J.P is up at the end of July, August.

donatolla
07-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Keith Law on JPA:

He's also repeating the level. I don't see him any differently than I did, say, 18 months ago: Most likely a fringe starter, could just hold the spot warm for d'Arnaud.

Weird - last time I looked into him he was disappointing again. Nice to see the improvement (1.200+ OPS in June - wow!). With D'Arnaud, perhaps JPA is trade bait?

T.O. Fan
07-11-2010, 08:19 PM
^^^^Interesting comment by KLaw.

Personally, while I understand what he's saying I think JPA should be given more credit for dominating in his repeat at AAA. He could have easily just improved a bit, stayed the same, or even regressed.

bomber0104
07-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Keith Law on JPA:

Weird - last time I looked into him he was disappointing again. Nice to see the improvement (1.200+ OPS in June - wow!). With D'Arnaud, perhaps JPA is trade bait?

wow.. i didn't know a player was doomed if he struggled in his first go at AAA in what was only his second professional year

broncosfan_101
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM
wow.. i didn't know a player was doomed if he struggled in his first go at AAA in what was only his second professional year

Especially as a 23 year old. He should have just quit baseball entirely in the offseason. :rolleyes:

FlakeyFool
07-11-2010, 10:57 PM
I agree with mr.law

bomber0104
07-11-2010, 11:41 PM
I agree with mr.law

explain

BlueJayFanDan
07-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I think Arencibia is really coming around. For a while I lost all confidence in him. I think he found his swing and I think we can see this production continue for a long time I hope.

broncosfan_101
07-12-2010, 01:13 AM
Joel Carreno K'd 15 and walked just 1 in 6 IP today. His FIP now sits at a shade under 2.30 with a decent 43% GB rate.

And a good day for the New Hampshire offense. Mastroianni went 3-5 with 3 2B's, Thames 2-4 with a HR, 2B and BB, and let's talk about David Cooper for a bit.

Obviously his .238/.305/.438 line isn't good enough for a 1B, but it deserves a closer look. First, his .200 ISO is a large improvement over what he's shown to this point, even if it's still not at the level he should be. Second, his .244 BABIP (including .214 against RHP!) is incredibly unlucky, especially for someone who is hitting the ball pretty hard. It's very easy to imagine him having a .280/.350/.480 line with a normalized BABIP to this point.

That line wouldn't get many around here excited, but at least it would be something to build on. His bad luck has robbed him of even that.

Pride
07-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Alvarez was consistently clocked in at 96mph at the futures game. Looks very promising for a sinkerballer.

bomber0104
07-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Joel Carreno K'd 15 and walked just 1 in 6 IP today. His FIP now sits at a shade under 2.30 with a decent 43% GB rate.

And a good day for the New Hampshire offense. Mastroianni went 3-5 with 3 2B's, Thames 2-4 with a HR, 2B and BB, and let's talk about David Cooper for a bit.

Obviously his .238/.305/.438 line isn't good enough for a 1B, but it deserves a closer look. First, his .200 ISO is a large improvement over what he's shown to this point, even if it's still not at the level he should be. Second, his .244 BABIP (including .214 against RHP!) is incredibly unlucky, especially for someone who is hitting the ball pretty hard. It's very easy to imagine him having a .280/.350/.480 line with a normalized BABIP to this point.

That line wouldn't get many around here excited, but at least it would be something to build on. His bad luck has robbed him of even that.

I mentioned a couple of days ago that Cooper's power has been very surprising and considering all the reports saying he should hit for average, there might be light at the end of the tunnel

bartron_44
07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Alvarez was consistently clocked in at 96mph at the futures game. Looks very promising for a sinkerballer.

WOW!!! I had no idea the kid threw that hard...

Also, if you are reading PSD Mr. Law ........YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE ******!!! I shall never waste time reading your garbage ever again......

Is this guy serious? A fringe major leaguer holding the spot warm for D'Arnaud? Sure JPA is hitting in the PCL, but he is batting over .300, has improved his patience at the plate, and has 25 HR's already this season...in only 75 games!!!He hit 27 HR's (and essentially .300) in 126 games his first real season in the minors splitting time between Dunedin and NH, and he hit 21 HR's last year while battling kidney and vision issues ffs! He has destroyed the competition when he has been healthy over the past 3 years, so why on Earth is he only a "fringe major leaguer"? How many catchers hit 20+ Hr's last year?.......7. How many Catchers hit over .300 last year? ........3 (only 5 full timers even hit .290).

I would say he has shown potential to be an elite offensive Catcher..

JaysFan87
07-12-2010, 10:04 AM

where do u find the advanced stats for minor leagues in their current yea. ALl the sites i know have only the previous years of advanced stats and not the current.

Macedonian
07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
where do u find the advanced stats for minor leagues in their current yea. ALl the sites i know have only the previous years of advanced stats and not the current.
http://firstinning.com/players/index.php?q=Tor&t=org&submit=Find+Players

Just click on the desired name, and then scroll down!

JaysFan87
07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
^^^thank you!!!!

Asham
07-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Who cares what Keith Law says? This is the same guy that said the Blue Jays would be the 2nd worst team in the mlb this year

Bjaxn45
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure but Keith Law used to work for the jays as Assistant Gm didn't he? Not sure how long ago that was, I usually find he knows what he's talking about when it comes to the Jays.

I lost a lot of my excitement for JPA last season but he's obviously been hitting the ball hard at AAA. How's his defense?

BlueJayCarter
07-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I remeber reading some one indicating 3rd base? Has he played any other positions then catcher in the minors?

I see him catcher/DH or 3rd base/DH if he has played that position before in the minors.

Pride
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Keith Law is one of the few people on ESPN that I respect as a reporter. I somewhat agree with him on the part that JPA is repeating his second year in PCL, but still major league fringe starter is a bit far. Also, for what its worth, the people at BA also have the same opinion Law does when it comes to JPA. If anything he may have gained back his status before last season in terms of prospect rankings.

JaysFan87
07-12-2010, 01:55 PM
To start i dont like LAw because through his years at ESPN after leaving the jays it seemed like he had a personal vendetta against JP so I took what he said with a grain of salt. AS for his view on Arencibia I gonna kinda agree with him. Obviously there is time for Arencibia to improve but his OBp is going to need to significantly improve if he is going to be a fulltime catcher. Throughout his major league career his ISOBP (isolated on-base) has been too low to play everyday. Granted he is tearing the cover of the ball in the PCL remember that this is a league that has notorious hitter parks that sometimes help to artificially boost players statistics. I understand that he could be this good at the mlb level but his career in the minors has been low avg/obp and relatively high slg which translates to a one dimensional player at the MLB level. Even with his OBP at .369 this year it is only 50 points higher than his avg. So lets say for argument sake that his avg in the MLB sits at around .290 his obp would be .340. WHich is not all that great. Not horrible but certainly not good. Like i said he is still young enough to improve his plate discipline but even with hsi improved year in AAA he still needs to work on his plate discipline.

torontosports10
07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
To start i dont like LAw because through his years at ESPN after leaving the jays it seemed like he had a personal vendetta against JP so I took what he said with a grain of salt. AS for his view on Arencibia I gonna kinda agree with him. Obviously there is time for Arencibia to improve but his OBp is going to need to significantly improve if he is going to be a fulltime catcher. Throughout his major league career his ISOBP (isolated on-base) has been too low to play everyday. Granted he is tearing the cover of the ball in the PCL remember that this is a league that has notorious hitter parks that sometimes help to artificially boost players statistics. I understand that he could be this good at the mlb level but his career in the minors has been low avg/obp and relatively high slg which translates to a one dimensional player at the MLB level. Even with his OBP at .369 this year it is only 50 points higher than his avg. So lets say for argument sake that his avg in the MLB sits at around .290 his obp would be .340. WHich is not all that great. Not horrible but certainly not good. Like i said he is still young enough to improve his plate discipline but even with hsi improved year in AAA he still needs to work on his plate discipline.

I would be thrilled if he had those power numbers with a .340 OBP especially for a catcher. He would be one of the highest on the MLB team this year with a .340

bomber0104
07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Noah Syndergaard made his pro debut today in the GCL

2 IP with zeros across the board... 5 of his outs came on the ground

Shifty1 69
07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure but Keith Law used to work for the jays as Assistant Gm didn't he? Not sure how long ago that was, I usually find he knows what he's talking about when it comes to the Jays.

I lost a lot of my excitement for JPA last season but he's obviously been hitting the ball hard at AAA. How's his defense?

He did work for the Jays at one point... but him and JP had a big falling out IIRC... and I have always found him to have a negative bias towards the Jays.

That being said, he wasnt the only one who said that Toronto was one of the worst teams in baseball, and if it werent for the VERY surprising starting pitching they got for much of the 1st half and the incredible power that came out of nowhere, they would be one of the lesser teams in the league (dont think theyd be worse than the O's tho, lol).

As for his opinions of JPA, as much as I dont like to pretend that I know more than those that are paid to know prospects, I do think he is being overly critical in his assessing JPA as a "fringe MLB player" at best.... as mentioned before, last year was not a great year but it has been well documented about his vision problems and losing a ton of weight to a liver (or kidney??) problem that he played through, both of which would definitely affect all aspects of hitting and both issues were addressed before this season. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, prior to last season he had only played 1 or so seasons of pro ball, and I believe he was a fairly well thought of prospect prior to last season, so why has he dropped so dramatically...

I could be wrong tho, perhaps JPA is strictly making the most of a hitters league... but I dont think (or hope) that is the case.

JaysFan87
07-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I would be thrilled if he had those power numbers with a .340 OBP especially for a catcher. He would be one of the highest on the MLB team this year with a .340

Yea i would be too but like a said the PCL has many many hitter friendly parks that imflate power numbers. Pitchers dont get worse in the MLV they get better so if he can only muster a ,370 OBP in AAA in the PCL then that number will drastically drop in the MLB if he doesnt improve. BUt to translate his PCL numbers to the MLB is grossly devaluing the MLB and severally overvaluing the PCL.

broncosfan_101
07-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Yea i would be too but like a said the PCL has many many hitter friendly parks that imflate power numbers. Pitchers dont get worse in the MLV they get better so if he can only muster a ,370 OBP in AAA in the PCL then that number will drastically drop in the MLB if he doesnt improve. BUt to translate his PCL numbers to the MLB is grossly devaluing the MLB and severally overvaluing the PCL.

We should also assume some improvement from Arencibia in the big leagues as well, no? If he can sport a .290/.340/.520 line in Toronto, he'll have a home at either C or 3B for a long time. From the report I read in the offseason, his D has gotten much better and now projects as average at worst. He's also a good athlete, so a possible move to 3B is definitely not out of the question either.

JaysFan87
07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I said that he is still young enough to learn what im also saying is that his numbers in the PCL need to be taken with a grain of salt and that he still lacks plate discipline. All im saying is that temper expectations when he eventually comes up.

broncosfan_101
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I said that he is still young enough to learn what im also saying is that his numbers in the PCL need to be taken with a grain of salt and that he still lacks plate discipline. All im saying is that temper expectations when he eventually comes up.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to keep up his 1.030 OPS and .427 wOBA in Toronto, but there's nothing wrong with a .340 OBP from a catcher who's average defensively and has plus power. That's borderline top 5 at that position in the majors (behind Mauer, McCann, Santana, Posey, Wieters) in the future.

JaysFan87
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't think anyone is expecting him to keep up his 1.030 OPS and .427 wOBA in Toronto, but there's nothing wrong with a .340 OBP from a catcher who's average defensively and has plus power. That's borderline top 5 at that position in the majors (behind Mauer, McCann, Santana, Posey, Wieters) in the future.

Of course we are assuming a .340 obp as the likely best case scenario with a .290 avg. THroughout his minor league career except for a his stop at dunedin he never hit for very good avg with his highest being at AA at .281. He probably profiles to hit in the majors what he hit in AA at his best. .282/.301/.486 with 14HR in 300 AB. Prolly with a little more OBP and a little less avg. And with that i would be happy. What im trying to say here is that barring a increase plate discipline he will prolly rank in the middle tier cathcers in the MLB which is fine by me. For the record this is the first season where his OBP is over .340. Prior to this season his highest OBP in one season was .322.

bomber0104
07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Patience is one of these things you can learn and a slight improvement from a guy like JPA will go along way. He makes a lot of contact so K's aren't gonna be a big problem

broncosfan_101
07-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Patience is one of these things you can learn and a slight improvement from a guy like JPA will go along way. He makes a lot of contact so K's aren't gonna be a big problem

His K rate is below 20%, and it honestly usually drops as careers progress (not that 20% is a problem). But if he can keep his BB rate above 7%, he should be golden.

BlueJayCarter
07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Onto another minor leaguer in the Blue Jays farm system. I see that Reider Gonzalez (24 years old) was sent down to Double AA. Stats in Triple AAA (6-6 9.18 ERA) strikeouts to walks not very good. In Double AA (1-0 4.50 ERA) strikeouts to walks not very good.

Question; Was this his one and only shot at Triple AAA and going to the majors? Or did they rush him to Triple AAA, and should have let him develop for the first three months in Double AA?

I think that this was his first and most important shot. Because since his excellent year in Dunedin in 2008 (12-4 3.14 ERA) he has increased his walks per strikeouts.

Will he get another chance. I think so, he has potential to be back of the rotation starter or relief pitcher.

BlueJayCarter
07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
He is not a prospect. But I like to give props for A.A in getting rid of Marty McLeary. I don't know if they traded him or just released him but he was there for no purpose. There was alot of other pitchers on the AAA roster that would have been called up before him.

broncosfan_101
07-12-2010, 04:41 PM
The odds for Reidier Gonzalez have dropped dramatically, but he did have a really tough stretch in Vegas. A .400+ BABIP, as well as giving up 16(!!!) HR in 82.1 IP, while still maintaining a 50% GB rate. His K/BB needs to get back to where he was in 08-09, and if he can do that, he might get another chance.

I'm more concerned about Chuck Huggins, and whether he deserves another chance above A+ ball. He got shelled huge in New Hampshire...

BlueJayCarter
07-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree with Chuck Huggins. I was excited for him when he had his Dunedin numbers 5-0. I thought here is a kid who could speed up the charts if he played well in New Hampshire and maybe end the season in Triple AAA. But he imploded. I do not know if he will get another opportunity or if he is just a minor leaguer.

BlueJayCarter
07-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Sorry for the different prospects, but going through the Toronto minor leagues checking out their stats.

I am surprised that Tim Collins (20-years-old) was signed as non-draftee.

In Lansing 2008 (first full minor league season): 4-2-14 (W-L-SV) ERA: 1.58 98Ks to 32BBs

So far in New Hamshire 2010 (only third minor league season): 1-0-9 ERA: 2.51 73Ks to 16 BBs.

Striking out more and walking less. Extremely impressive.

Call-up to Triple AAA soon?

Maybe MLB next year?

1hardcore
07-12-2010, 05:02 PM
They rushed Huggins i think....

broncosfan_101
07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
They rushed Huggins i think....

I disagree. He was a 24 year old with almost 190 mostly successful innings in A+ ball, he needed to move up to not fall behind the organizational pace. He's probably at the same level as Andrew Liebel now, and no one around here talks about him.

Macedonian
07-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Van Kirk hits a grand slam tonight!

Cooper with 2 doubles...
Bowman and Thames both homered!

ryhno
07-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Where any of the future Blue Jay prospects on the MLB future game ? I saw someone on the world team roaming through the pictures but cant point out who it was.

Pride
07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
^^ Trystan Magnuson and Pedro Alvarez were part of the world team.

Edit: Meant Henderson Alvarez.

The_Jet11
07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
I think you mean Henderson Alvarez? Pedro Alvarez is a 3B in the Pirates system.

FlakeyFool
07-12-2010, 10:13 PM
it was henderson. I saw two blue jay hats but a **** load of KC hats

donatolla
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
He did work for the Jays at one point... but him and JP had a big falling out IIRC... and I have always found him to have a negative bias towards the Jays.

I think he's the other way around...Keith has been talking about the Blue Jays for a very long time (he used to drop in on the old bluejays usenet group on occasion back in the day), so I actually think he's quite the fan. Can't remember what his job title was, but he and JP didn't get along. Fairly certain it all came from situations around Wells' contract, but can't remember for sure. JP did call KLaw an idiot though.

As for the topic: JPA's current MLE for the bigs are 255/298/502. Which is really about what everybody would expect of him...iffy average, no OBP and lots of slugging. Which is why I think he may be most valuable as trade bait. He and one of the bullpen arms might actually net us some interesting return.

nstojic
07-13-2010, 12:29 AM
i'm loving the possibilities here. I hope at least 1 of these guys makes it and sticks.. that way we solve our C and 3B problems

a pleasant element to Jimenez's game? 16 SB, this year

GNick
07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
I think he's the other way around...Keith has been talking about the Blue Jays for a very long time (he used to drop in on the old bluejays usenet group on occasion back in the day), so I actually think he's quite the fan. Can't remember what his job title was, but he and JP didn't get along. Fairly certain it all came from situations around Wells' contract, but can't remember for sure. JP did call KLaw an idiot though.

As for the topic: JPA's current MLE for the bigs are 255/298/502. Which is really about what everybody would expect of him...iffy average, no OBP and lots of slugging. Which is why I think he may be most valuable as trade bait. He and one of the bullpen arms might actually net us some interesting return.

According to how much slugging he has...but can JPA play 3b?

bartron_44
07-14-2010, 08:44 AM
It is good to see Hech come along with the bat in AA. He is on a 6 game hit streak and is hitting .265 with 4 doubles over his first 12 games. I don't think it is a coincidence that now that he has a coach he can communicate better with that he is improving...

Also, I realize everyone is high on Drabek (and deservingly so), but no one is mentioning Zach Stewart is 5-1 over his last 10 starts with an ERA of 3.19 and 49 K's in 66 innings!!

Another name people should start watching is Casey Beck in Lansing. Granted he is 23 playing in A ball, but he hasn't given up a run in at least his last 10 appearances (13.1 innings), has only given up 6 hits, and has struck out 14 while only walking 2. I think he should be moved to Dunedin immediately.

BlueJayCarter
07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Stewert is pitching better. Beck should probably move up to Dunedin.

bartron_44
07-14-2010, 01:19 PM
well there goes Collins......guess that opens up a spot in the AA bullpen...I hate losing tiny Tim, but if Escobar can turn things around once he moves out of Cox's doghouse, this is a great move for Toronto. we have a boat load of left handers that we can move to the bullpen if we suddenly get a surplus of starting pitching..

If we are unloading for next season, I think we are going to see some promotions here pretty soon. I hope we see Magnuson and JPA very soon, as well as Drabek and Stewart before the end of the season...

BlueJayCarter
07-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't think we will see any of those guys except JPA.

BlueJayFanDan
07-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Drabek may be a September call up. Just a hunch.

BlueJayCarter
07-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Don't get me wrong. I would love him to be a September call up. But I think he shouldn't be rushed. Go to AAA this year, continue strong in Spring Training next year and wait for the call soon in 2011.

Wallace will be up before Drabek.

idrinkpepsi
07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Drabek may be a September call up. Just a hunch.

I think Drabek is up in May-June next year, but not a September call up but I think Wallace will be up in September even sooner if Overbay is moved at the deadline.

Macedonian
07-14-2010, 10:22 PM
51s Arencibia wins Topps Player of the Month

Las Vegas catcher J.P. Arencibia has won the Topps Pacific Coast League Player of the Month for June, the league announced Tuesday. In 23 games, the 24-year-old hit .400 (38-for-95) with 10 homers, 12 doubles, 23 RBI and 26 runs scored.
Not surprises here!

JaysFan87
07-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Don't get me wrong. I would love him to be a September call up. But I think he shouldn't be rushed. Go to AAA this year, continue strong in Spring Training next year and wait for the call soon in 2011.

Wallace will be up before Drabek.

strong chance that drabek will be called up in september. There is little for him to prove in the PCL.

Rochesta
07-14-2010, 10:45 PM
strong chance that drabek will be called up in september. There is little for him to prove in the PCL.

True. Also, isn't the minor league season over by September anyways? So what would be the hurt in giving him like 5 MLB innings just to get his feet wet?

bomber0104
07-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Jenkins had a decent start allowing 2 ER over 5 innings which is a big imrpovement over his last 2 starts in which he gave up 4 and 7 ERs

bartron_44
07-15-2010, 11:55 AM
I think H. Alvarez deserves A LOT more attention on here......Did anyone else watch this guy in the Futures game? I know he gave up a bomb, but his stuff looked VERY good. He throws much faster than I thought, bringing a moving fastball in anywhere from like 94-96!! For a sinker ball pitcher, that is straight up nasty. I would say him and Carreno are both exciting arms, and are about due for a promotion to NH...

Bjaxn45
07-15-2010, 12:46 PM
I try and not get crazy excited about sinkerballers. They tend to have a couple of outstanding years then hurt their arms and have real problems finding their control again.

Examples...

Carmona was terrific for a couple of season's, got hurt and it's taken a few years to get back to even contribute a decent era.

Brandon Webb was an elite guy, injury problems have taken away almost 2 full seasons due to injury and who knows when he'll be back and pitching well.

No idea why anybody likes Jake Westbrook but they do. He had 1 very good year and has struggled with injury and control since.

My whole point is all pitchers get hurt and the last thing to come back is control. When you're dealing with a sinkerballer, they need to have solid control to be effective where as if say Brandon Morrow were to get hurt, he still has two plus pitches and control is less important. (maybe that's a bad way to look at it because control is always important but I think you can see my point.)

North Yorker
07-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I try and not get crazy excited about sinkerballers. They tend to have a couple of outstanding years then hurt their arms and have real problems finding their control again.

Examples...

Carmona was terrific for a couple of season's, got hurt and it's taken a few years to get back to even contribute a decent era.

Brandon Webb was an elite guy, injury problems have taken away almost 2 full seasons due to injury and who knows when he'll be back and pitching well.

No idea why anybody likes Jake Westbrook but they do. He had 1 very good year and has struggled with injury and control since.

My whole point is all pitchers get hurt and the last thing to come back is control. When you're dealing with a sinkerballer, they need to have solid control to be effective where as if say Brandon Morrow were to get hurt, he still has two plus pitches and control is less important. (maybe that's a bad way to look at it because control is always important but I think you can see my point.)

Chien Ming Wang too.

BlueJayCarter
07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
The minor leagues might be over by September. But what is the point in having him pitch five innings in the Majors. What if he gets rocked?

I could be wrong, maybe he does get called up. But if A.A is/was so hesitant on Wallace coming up, wouldn't he be even more so with a pitcher that is suppose to be an ace in the future?

Anythinzposible
07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Arencibia with yet another home run. whats new
hitting .321 26hr 65rbi

BlueJayCarter
07-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Trade Buck.

Call up JPA. See how many major league bombs he can hit this year.

nstojic
07-15-2010, 10:34 PM
^^ Law's right, what a bum hahaha

T.O. Fan
07-15-2010, 10:54 PM
The minor leagues might be over by September. But what is the point in having him pitch five innings in the Majors. What if he gets rocked?

I could be wrong, maybe he does get called up. But if A.A is/was so hesitant on Wallace coming up, wouldn't he be even more so with a pitcher that is suppose to be an ace in the future?

What if? Who cares.

It's experience for him that doesn't count against his service time.

JaysFan87
07-16-2010, 12:43 AM

YOu cant really bring up wallace and have a potential asset like overbay on the bench. Like i said all season Drabek is a strong candidate to get called up in september. He picthed 158 innings last year and will likely just match that this year in the minors. THere is no sense in him a completing 2 full years in AA without bumping up his innings. I know you dont want to over work young arms but he needs to build up his arm strength in order to be a front line starter. And you dont do that by pitching winter ball after two years in AA.

BlueJayFanDan
07-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Trade Buck.

Call up JPA. See how many major league bombs he can hit this year.

Yes please.

blujaysrock
07-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Arencibia with yet another home run. whats new
hitting .321 26hr 65rbi

8 home runs in his last 10 games :speechless:

bartron_44
07-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Man, maybe I need to get some eye surgery :)

JPA is proving all the haters/doubters who wrote him off after his averaged dipped last season wrong. He is still the best catching prospect we have imo. I am not sure everyone realizes how rare this kind of power is for a catcher, but a catcher who can drop 30+ HR's along with 30+ 2b's is a VERY, VERY, VERY rare commodity. Considering no catchers in MLB hit 30 HR's last year, and only 5 of them hit 30 doubles, and in 2008, 0 with 30 HR's, and only 7 with 30+ doubles.....I think you get my drift.

2009mvp
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
^^I don't think you realize how ridiculous it is to project 30+ HRs in the bigs based on his second time through AAA, in the PCL no less. He's certainly having a year to get excited about so far, but let's not go overboard here.

Farsight
07-16-2010, 01:12 PM
^^I don't think you realize how ridiculous it is to project 30+ HRs in the bigs based on his second time through AAA, in the PCL no less. He's certainly having a year to get excited about so far, but let's not go overboard here.

I agree, JPA was my favourite prospect since he was drafted by Toronto. He does have the potential to hit 30 home runs, but MLB pitching is a lot harder. I think everyone should see him play in the bigs for awhile until he garners a good sample sizes before everyone considers him the next mike piazza.

Shifty1 69
07-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I am as intrigued as anyone to see him in the bigs, and I hope like hell we get to see him sooner rather than later... but there is a big difference between hitting 30hr in the PCL than 30hr in the majors. Not saying he cant or wont do it, man I hope he does... but its far from a lock.

bartron_44
07-16-2010, 02:06 PM
^^I understand this, and I know this is the best JPA we have ever seen....but the guy is on pace for 50+ HR's and 50+ doubles (if the AAA season was the same length as the big league season). He hasn't even played 80 games yet, and he has 26 HR's and 26 doubles. So even if you cut his power numbers in half he is still on pace for great production from a catcher..I am not saying he will do it his first season, but he has showed great power for the last 3 consecutive seasons.

Manatoo
07-16-2010, 02:17 PM
^^I understand this, and I know this is the best JPA we have ever seen....but the guy is on pace for 50+ HR's and 50+ doubles (if the AAA season was the same length as the big league season). He hasn't even played 80 games yet, and he has 26 HR's and 26 doubles. So even if you cut his power numbers in half he is still on pace for great production from a catcher..I am not saying he will do it his first season, but he has showed great power for the last 3 consecutive seasons.

I don't quite think you understand how much of a hitters league the PCL is, its not just that it has great hitters parks, it also has some of the worst pitchers in the minors, you really cant take anything from numbers at that level (unless your failing miserably)

Jays Claw
07-16-2010, 02:45 PM
J.P Arencibia is on some roll with his offensive numbers.

Farsight
07-16-2010, 03:01 PM
I really like JPA, and i think he will be a very good offensive catcher. I have to disagree with Keith Law and his opinion about JPA. If d’Arnaud develops i would like to see him as the catcher.

I heard some reports before that JPA could make a move to 3rd base or outfield. However, it was believed that he did not have the power or average to play 3rd base. It would be interesting to see if we could keep both JPA and d’Arnaud if they both pan out

blujaysrock
07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Move JPA to 3rd have d'Arnaud and Jerolman as the catchers. Keep JPA at catcher though with a guy like Buck/Molina behind him then move him to 3rd when d'Arnaud is ready. I think JPA has the power and hitting abilities to be an everyday 3rd baseman, didn't he hit 26 HR's last year in AA/AAA?

broncosfan_101
07-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Move JPA to 3rd have d'Arnaud and Jerolman as the catchers. Keep JPA at catcher though with a guy like Buck/Molina behind him then move him to 3rd when d'Arnaud is ready. I think JPA has the power and hitting abilities to be an everyday 3rd baseman, didn't he hit 26 HR's last year in AA/AAA?

21 last year in AAA, 27 the year before in AA.

And yes, we all understand the PCL is a hitters league, so we need to look at where JPA stands among the rest of the players. 1st in HR's with 26 (2nd place has 22), 9th in BA, and 1st in slugging% at a staggering .663 clip (2nd place is .599).

Jays Claw
07-16-2010, 05:50 PM
The Blue Jays have a lot of talented, high ceiling catching propsects.

- J.P Arencibia (AAA)

- Brian Jeroloman (AA)

- Travis d'Arnaud (FSL)

- A.J Jimenez (A)

BlueJayFanDan
07-16-2010, 05:54 PM
The Blue Jays have a lot of talented, high ceiling catching propsects.

- J.P Arencibia (AAA)

- Brian Jeroloman (AA)

- Travis d'Arnaud (FSL)

- A.J Jimenez (A)

Carlos Perez

Sean Ochinko (recently moved to 3rd but can still play catcher)

BlueJayCarter
07-16-2010, 09:30 PM
I think everyone can agree that over the past couple of seasons the Blue Jays have stocked up their catcher position with some really highly talented high-ceiling prospects that can move to a couple of other positions to fill organizational needs and holes.

BlueJayCarter
07-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Jo-Jo Reyes is throwing a no-hitter in New Hampshire. Wouldn't that be so cool that our new prospect throws one just after our future ace?

inspekta76
07-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Love the prospects that AA is accumulating and am really excited to see the lineup on opening day, especially how 1B Wallace does-check out the posts on the Lansing Lugnuts-good read... http://1bluejaysway.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html

BlueJayCarter
07-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Jo-Jo Reyes has pitched seven innings. Has given up two walks and four strike outs but has given up no hits. He is throwing a no-no thru seven.

And Hech has two RBIs for a total of seven RBIs in Double AA.

Pride
07-17-2010, 01:39 AM
^How'd he end up doing in that game?
Wallace also hit another HR.

broncosfan_101
07-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Jo-Jo Reyes is throwing a no-hitter in New Hampshire. Wouldn't that be so cool that our new prospect throws one just after our future ace?

Not that it's a big deal, but Kyle Drabek is absolutely not our future ace. He's probably our #3, but maybe not even that high. That says more for the future of our pitching staff than it does about him, however he does only project as the next John Danks, who wouldn't be the ace of even a decent rotation.

Joel Carreno pitched 6 innings today, 8 K's without a BB. His FIP in 98 innings now sits at a ridiculous 2.19. I love this kid.

Pride
07-17-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm curious who you think is ahead of Drabek in our system to say he may not even be our #3 starter. We got Romero leading the way perhaps, and then maybe Morrow becomes the 1/2 guy we're hoping from him. Marcum is a guy I like, but I think Drabek has more potential.

BlueJayFanDan
07-17-2010, 02:25 AM
I'm curious who you think is ahead of Drabek in our system to say he may not even be our #3 starter. We got Romero leading the way perhaps, and then maybe Morrow becomes the 1/2 guy we're hoping from him. Marcum is a guy I like, but I think Drabek has more potential.

I agree. Drabek is going to be better then a #3.

Madness23
07-17-2010, 09:00 AM
reyes ended with 1 hit through 8 innings !! good start i guess ( he is 25/26 though, not really a prospect)

broncosfan_101
07-17-2010, 07:33 PM

Romero, Marcum and Morrow are FOR SURE ahead of Drabek, and I'd also argue that Scrabble has just as much, if not more potential than Drabek. He's got a 3.86 FIP with a 50+% GB rate in his 80 innings at levels that Drabek hasn't even pitched at yet. After that, I don't think the gap between Kyle and guys like Alvarez, Carreno and Jenkins is very large (and if Deck signs, he'd be in that range as well).

Again, that doesn't say as much about Drabek as it does our organizational depth on the mound. He still projects as a solid #2 or a very good #3, but we'll have the luxury of putting him in the 4-spot.

broncosfan_101
07-17-2010, 07:34 PM
I agree. Drabek is going to be better then a #3.

Tell me why you think this...

bomber0104
07-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Tell me why you think this...

I think something has to be said about what scouts say about him. He is a consensus top 30 prospects in baseball for a reason. I'm not saying he is going to be a legitimate ace. But I think he can be a very good #2 and a guy that maybe considered an ace by some in the sense of guys like Beckett and Lackey being considered aces

BlueJayFanDan
07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
I think something has to be said about what scouts say about him. He is a consensus top 30 prospects in baseball for a reason. I'm not saying he is going to be a legitimate ace. But I think he can be a very good #2 and a guy that maybe considered an ace by some in the sense of guys like Beckett and Lackey being considered aces

Pretty much what I was gonna say. Guys aren't just consensus top prospects for no reason. He may never be an ace but he will at least be a #2.

broncosfan_101
07-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Scouts shmouts. We've got enough data on him already that we should have a good idea of what he is and what he is not. What he is is a guy with very decent K/BB/GB rates, and when you put that all together, you've got a good pitcher. What he is not is a high upside arm who will be able to dominate big league hitters over long stretches. Those guys are aces, or very good #2 starters.

He'll never be as good as Beckett, whose xFIP has only been above 3.70 once before this season, and that was his first season in the AL East. He's an ace, one of the top 20 pitchers in baseball. Lackey is quite overrated, and his career 4+ xFIP tells us he's probably only a decent #2 starter. With that said, his career lines are pretty close to what we can expect from Drabek. The K/BB/GB splits between the 2 are quite similar.

T.O.Bombinators
07-17-2010, 09:48 PM
on a side note collins made his debut for atlantas AA team last nite going 2 perfect innings and 5Ks...i hope for our sake he doesnt do that in the bigs

broncosfan_101
07-17-2010, 10:01 PM
on a side note collins made his debut for atlantas AA team last nite going 2 perfect innings and 5Ks...i hope for our sake he doesnt do that in the bigs

As long as Yunel returns to form from the last 3 years, nothing Collins does in Atlanta will make this a bad trade for us. The best reliever of all time has been worth 36 wins above replacement over his 16 year career to this point, which is less than 2.5 per year. Yunel should be worth 3-4 per season for the foreseeable future, which would make this trade a no-contest win for us.

Twitchy
07-17-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm not sure which scouts believe Drabek will be an ace or a #2 pitcher anymore. Here's what Sickels (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/12/23/1217661/toronto-blue-jays-top-20-prospects#comments)said before the year started:

3) Kyle Drabek, RHP, Grade B+: Fully recovered from surgery and looks like a fine number two/three starter to me, assuming he keeps his head on straight.

Which may contradict what I just said, until you read his updated report on Drabek (http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/6/1/1496040/minor-league-notes-june-1-2010):

**Kyle Drabek had a good start last night for Double-A New Hampshire, throwing eight shutout innings, allowing four hits and one walk while fanning four. On the season, the Blue Jays prospect is now 6-4, 2.87 with a 47/25 K/BB in 63 innings, with 57 hits allowed. The ERA looks pretty of course and generally he has pitched well, but his K/IP and K/BB ratios are not spectacular. Between this year and last year, Drabek now has 26 starts of Double-A under his belt, going 14-6, 3.34 in 159 innings, with 149 hits allowed and a 123/56 K/BB ratio. These are the numbers of a solid prospect, but more of a future inning-eater type than a dominating ace. Drabek's bloodlines and status as the centerpiece of a major trade get him a lot of press, but I think people should expect him to develop into a number three type starter, not a total replacement for Roy Halladay.

Which confirms what Broncos has been saying. The K:BB isn't strong enough for Drabek to be a top of the rotation guy, but he'll be a useful arm down the line. Nothing wrong with that obviously.

BlueJayFanDan
07-17-2010, 10:15 PM
No one expects Drabek to be Halladay but i expect Romero to be an ace and Drabek to be our #2 in the future.

broncosfan_101
07-17-2010, 10:41 PM
No one expects Drabek to be Halladay but i expect Romero to be an ace and Drabek to be our #2 in the future.

An opinion without evidence remains just an opinion. Without evidence to support an opinion it is not open to refutation and consequently unsubstantiated and very weak.

http://great-philosophers.suite101.com/article.cfm/noam-chomsky-and-the-importance-of-evidence-and-sources

BlueJayFanDan
07-17-2010, 10:46 PM
http://great-philosophers.suite101.com/article.cfm/noam-chomsky-and-the-importance-of-evidence-and-sources

Thanks...

bomber0104
07-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Scouts shmouts. We've got enough data on him already that we should have a good idea of what he is and what he is not. What he is is a guy with very decent K/BB/GB rates, and when you put that all together, you've got a good pitcher. What he is not is a high upside arm who will be able to dominate big league hitters over long stretches. Those guys are aces, or very good #2 starters.

He'll never be as good as Beckett, whose xFIP has only been above 3.70 once before this season, and that was his first season in the AL East. He's an ace, one of the top 20 pitchers in baseball. Lackey is quite overrated, and his career 4+ xFIP tells us he's probably only a decent #2 starter. With that said, his career lines are pretty close to what we can expect from Drabek. The K/BB/GB splits between the 2 are quite similar.

how about development.. pitchers change their type of game as they grow. you don't need to look further than guys like Marcum and Romero. I would love to see how their minor league numbers stack up with what they are doing at the majors.

Twitchy
07-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Marcum had a 9K/9 and a 1.5 BB/9 in the minors. In the majors it's a 7ishK/9 and a 3BB/9.

Romero's numbers are a bit better in the majors. That doesn't happen very often though. 7K9 and 3.8 BB/9 in the minors vs 7.6 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9 in the majors.

bomber0104
07-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Marcum had a 9K/9 and a 1.5 BB/9 in the minors. In the majors it's a 7ishK/9 and a 3BB/9.

Romero's numbers are a bit better in the majors. That doesn't happen very often though. 7K9 and 3.8 BB/9 in the minors vs 7.6 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9 in the majors.

wasn't Marcum in the bullpen in the minors?

Macedonian
07-17-2010, 11:10 PM
JPA homered again!!!

broncosfan_101
07-17-2010, 11:15 PM
how about development.. pitchers change their type of game as they grow. you don't need to look further than guys like Marcum and Romero. I would love to see how their minor league numbers stack up with what they are doing at the majors.

Marcum - 190 K, 37 BB in 214 IP before hitting the big leagues.

And we all know Romero is a complete anomaly, so unless you believe Drabek will be another red herring, you shouldn't count on something similar.

Twitchy
07-17-2010, 11:16 PM
wasn't Marcum in the bullpen in the minors?

Marcum started 65/99 games in the minors. Most of the relief outings came in 2003 (21 games).

T.O.Bombinators
07-17-2010, 11:21 PM
JPA with another homer

bomber0104
07-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Marcum started 65/99 games in the minors. Most of the relief outings came in 2003 (21 games).

oh.. i always had the impression that he was converted to a starter later. I wasn't a big Jays fan back then so and i barely knew the guys in the majors.

bomber0104
07-17-2010, 11:57 PM
JPA with another homer

and the sun came up today.. its a daily thing. no big deal

ah nuts
07-18-2010, 12:18 AM

I'm with you, I still currently believe he will be a "#2 type". It sounds like all his pitches are not yet developed and his consistency is not there yet. But he does have some nasty stuff and the drive.

blujaysrock
07-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Drabek didn't have such a great outing 5 IP 7 H 5 R 4 ER 2 BB 4 K picking up the lose, now 9-9 on the year.

Arencibia with #27 on the year, weird thing I noticed is that he has no 2B in like his last 10+ games.

BlueJayCarter
07-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Does anyone know if Ronald Uveido the guy we picked up for Eveland made it through DFA or if someone selected him?

I don't think he needed to be on the 40 man this year like they had since May but I was interested to see what he could do next Spring Training.

broncosfan_101
07-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know if Ronald Uveido the guy we picked up for Eveland made it through DFA or if someone selected him?

I don't think he needed to be on the 40 man this year like they had since May but I was interested to see what he could do next Spring Training.

He pitched 2 good innings for New Hampshire yesterday, so he must have gone unselected.

broncosfan_101
07-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Snider and Thames both have homers in the first 3 innings of today's game in New Hampshire.

BlueJayCarter
07-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Zach Stewert (8-2) with a victory in New Hampshire. Had four walks and five strikeouts today but for his first full minor league season starting he is doing really well. He pitched in the bullpen in Las Vegas last year, and I think he will be up there again before this season is over.

StealingSigns
07-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Zach Stewert (8-2) with a victory in New Hampshire. Had four walks and five strikeouts today but for his first full minor league season starting he is doing really well. He pitched in the bullpen in Las Vegas last year, and I think he will be up there again before this season is over.

Zach Stewart is okay. Wish his WHIP was a little more impressive.

bartron_44
07-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Adeiny has 5 multiple hit games in his last 8, and is hitting .325 with 4 doubles over his last 10 games. I wonder how much he likes us acquiring he fellow countrymen (who plays his position...)?

Shifty1 69
07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
I would hope he steps up to the challenge... if he runs and hides and doesnt work to take Escobars job, then its best to know now. Too many high end SS's is not a problem.;)

BlueJayFanDan
07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah Adeiny seems to be getting more comfortable at the plate. Hope he shows us hes worth it!

T.O.Bombinators
07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
shawn hills been looking good during what i assume is rehab with the GCL jays mind you going 6 innings oday 6h 1bb and 6Ks in his 3rd start
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=429718

and through 5 with dunedin jenkins has allowed 1 ER and has 5Ks so thats better

idrinkpepsi
07-19-2010, 10:16 PM
shawn hills been looking good during what i assume is rehab with the GCL jays mind you going 6 innings oday 6h 1bb and 6Ks in his 3rd start

:clap: for Hill coming off Tommy John surgery thats good to see.

Macedonian
07-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Jo-Jo Reyes Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week

New Hampshire Fisher Cats starting pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes (1-0, 0.00) has been named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the span ending July 18. The 25-year old from West Covina, CA made his Fisher Cats debut on Friday night at Merchantsauto.com Stadium against the visiting Binghamton Mets, and allowed just one hit and two walks while striking out six batters in eight scoreless innings.
Source (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100719&content_id=12401802&vkey=pr_t463&fext=.jsp&sid=t463)

bomber0104
07-19-2010, 11:35 PM
A guy that he been lost in the shuffle a bit lately is Brad Emaus.. He is putting up some pretty impressive numbers for a guy hitting AAA for the first time.

He is batting .307 with a .405 so far this season. SLG and OPS are sitting at .521 and .926 respectively.

Another thing that impressed me is that he has 23 walks compared to 21 Ks.

I think he can be a very serviceable major league 3B but will probably excel as a 2nd baseman because of his average power and weak arm.

He hit a a HR today btw

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 01:10 AM
JPA just doing his daily thing

2-4, HR, 2B, 3 RBIs

BlueJayFanDan
07-20-2010, 01:11 AM
JPA just doing his daily thing

2-4, HR, 2B, 3 RBIs

It's unreal what he has been doing.

nithanyo
07-20-2010, 01:32 AM
Why ist JPA not up here yet??? I hope he reaches as soon as Buck or Molina is dealt

You dont want him to get discouraged

bartron_44
07-20-2010, 08:37 AM
I am not so sure AA plans on dealing either of our catchers. I think he plans on just letting JPA put up a FOOLISH season in AAA to see who comes asking about him over the winter. If he comes up and struggles, his stock will go back down. But if he is the best hitter in the PCL this season, he could net us a serious prospect if AA deems him expendable with all the young talented catchers we have coming up right behind him.

Buck could easily fill the gap between now and the time one of the other kids is ready. He was an all-star this season, and our backup is hitting .281 with an OBP of .347 while throwing out runners like its nobody's business..... I don't think we are hurting behind the plate atm..

As much as I want to see JPA with the Jays, if AA can get Escobar for a 33 year old SS and a couple of our lower prospects, imagine what he could get for one of our better prospects at a premium position at the winter meetings?

JaysFan87
07-20-2010, 09:06 AM
^^^Buck will be gone after this season. Zero chance he is here after 2010....50% chance he is here in 2 weeks

North Yorker
07-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I am not so sure AA plans on dealing either of our catchers. I think he plans on just letting JPA put up a FOOLISH season in AAA to see who comes asking about him over the winter. If he comes up and struggles, his stock will go back down. But if he is the best hitter in the PCL this season, he could net us a serious prospect if AA deems him expendable with all the young talented catchers we have coming up right behind him.

Buck could easily fill the gap between now and the time one of the other kids is ready. He was an all-star this season, and our backup is hitting .281 with an OBP of .347 while throwing out runners like its nobody's business..... I don't think we are hurting behind the plate atm..

As much as I want to see JPA with the Jays, if AA can get Escobar for a 33 year old SS and a couple of our lower prospects, imagine what he could get for one of our better prospects at a premium position at the winter meetings?

Its an interesting thought. We do have Jminez and d'Arnaud not too too far away. If we re-sign Buck to a 2 yr deal and deal JPA this winter, we should get a fantastic return.

Or we could deal Bautista,Buck,BP arms,etc. Have JPA play C next year and then move him to 3B in the future when one of our other C's are ready.

Billyen
07-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I think he plans on just letting JPA put up a FOOLISH season in AAA to see who comes asking about him over the winter. If he comes up and struggles, his stock will go back down. But if he is the best hitter in the PCL this season, he could net us a serious prospect if AA deems him expendable with all the young talented catchers we have coming up right behind him.

I'm glad someone else suggested this. Honestly, he has no place to go but down and won't be doing the same thing at a ML level. Let's not forget 6 months ago most of you wanted to trade him for a bag of balls. I wouldn't be so sweet on this if we didn't have the "other 2" but we do. JPA and maybe some Jays can be packaged for a top25er or a Greinke or something like that.

Rebuild, don't fall in love with players.

bomber0104
07-20-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm glad someone else suggested this. Honestly, he has no place to go but down and won't be doing the same thing at a ML level. Let's not forget 6 months ago most of you wanted to trade him for a bag of balls. I wouldn't be so sweet on this if we didn't have the "other 2" but we do. JPA and maybe some Jays can be packaged for a top25er or a Greinke or something like that.

even if thats the case... a team that is trading for him will probably want to see some major league ABs before pulling the trigger

bartron_44
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Its an interesting thought. We do have Jminez and d'Arnaud not too too far away. If we re-sign Buck to a 2 yr deal and deal JPA this winter, we should get a fantastic return.

Or we could deal Bautista,Buck,BP arms,etc. Have JPA play C next year and then move him to 3B in the future when one of our other C's are ready.

Yes, we could also trade away those guys. However, why trade 2 all-stars when you don't have to? I know it sucks for JPA to be stuck in AAA while he is beasting like this, but isn't the idea to get above average players at every position in order to compete in our division? I think keeping the all-stars we have and adding to them isn't a bad way to go if you want to put butts in the seats in Toronto. If you trade them all away, even less people will go to the games next season... I can see us trading Downs and/or Camp, as bullpen arms can be found pretty much anywhere...but I can't say it makes sense to trade away an all-star (who leads the league in OF assists and in HR's ) and an all-star C with 13 HR's and 44 RBI through 75 games for some prospects. Especially when those 2 all-stars are only 30 and could produce for another 2 years easily.

I also like having a veteran catcher behind the plate calling the game with our young pitching staff for the next year or so. Let them learn from some vets, as it takes a lot of pressure off of the pitchers when they can just nod and throw.

If we move either Buck or Bautista, we better get one heck of a return...which I am sure AA will get judging from his short track record..

Shifty1 69
07-20-2010, 01:51 PM

If another team is going to deal the Jays a stud prospect... would it not make sense that they would have to consider JPA a stud prospect... so what do you really gain??
Catcher is a premium position and you can set your lineup very nicely when you can have an excellent hitter out of that position. Yes, the Jays have a lot of prospects at C... but its too early to crown any of them as ML starters... C spects seem to flame out like crazy or at least move positions. I remember when Curtis Thigpen was coming to solidify the catching position for years to come.:rolleyes:
There is no telling if JPA is ready or able at all to be a big-leaguer, but why not start figuring out what you have before the other catchers come up. Wouldnt be a bad thing if D'Arnaud or Jimenez etc come up behind him as a top prospect..... Pretty sure that if the Yanks had an outstanding (say top 5 hitting) young Catcher playing now, they would be willing to deal Montero quite easily and could acquire elite talent in return at another position.

DocJayzSpikx
07-20-2010, 02:09 PM
If JPA is traded, in about 2 years we will regret it trust that.

Bob_at_york
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
I remember when Curtis Thigpen was coming to solidify the catching position for years to come.:rolleyes:
Damn man, you make it sound like that was a long time ago. it wasn't. I remember when Jayson Werth was a catching prospect in our system. Hell I remember Delgado was a catcher in the minors.

Halladay
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
If another team is going to deal the Jays a stud prospect... would it not make sense that they would have to consider JPA a stud prospect... so what do you really gain??
Catcher is a premium position and you can set your lineup very nicely when you can have an excellent hitter out of that position. Yes, the Jays have a lot of prospects at C... but its too early to crown any of them as ML starters... C spects seem to flame out like crazy or at least move positions. I remember when Curtis Thigpen was coming to solidify the catching position for years to come.:rolleyes:
There is no telling if JPA is ready or able at all to be a big-leaguer, but why not start figuring out what you have before the other catchers come up. Wouldnt be a bad thing if D'Arnaud or Jimenez etc come up behind him as a top prospect..... Pretty sure that if the Yanks had an outstanding (say top 5 hitting) young Catcher playing now, they would be willing to deal Montero quite easily and could acquire elite talent in return at another position.

Thigpen and JPA aren't comparable prospects. Not even close.

bomber0104
07-21-2010, 03:15 AM
JPA goes 3-4 with no HRs.. Are we witnessing the beginning of a slump?

StealingSigns
07-21-2010, 03:21 AM
He is hitting the ball fine, despite what KLAW says.

BlueJayFanDan
07-21-2010, 04:34 AM
JPA goes 3-4 with no HRs.. Are we witnessing the beginning of a slump?

Only 3 hits and none were homeruns??? Time to be benched perhaps?

Haha this guy is hitting to good to be true.

BlueJayCarter
07-21-2010, 06:23 AM
No homeruns.:speechless: Only 3 hits out of four at bats. Get rid of the bum. :rolleyes:

bartron_44
07-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Snider went 2 for 5 with another HR yesterday, thats 3 multi hit games in a row with 2 HR's and a double. I think he is looking ready to return.

Shifty1 69
07-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Damn man, you make it sound like that was a long time ago. it wasn't. I remember when Jayson Werth was a catching prospect in our system. Hell I remember Delgado was a catcher in the minors.

So do I... Phelps anyone??;):D
Considering half the members here are 18-20... figured I would go recent. Not sure Werth and Delgado are exactly great examples of how a C prospect flames out into oblivion... they may have moved positions but one is a key piece of a world champion and the other put up damn near HoF #'s, haha

Billyen
07-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Hell I remember Delgado was a catcher in the minors.

I forgot he did come up as a catcher. John Olerud was a lock at 1st. I remember that first week Delgado came up, 7 HRs! I thought we had the next Babe Ruth. He had a decent career. I hope he can sneak back and get 27 more hrs.

JaysFan87
07-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Dunedin's game is currently in the 17th inning....just though ill throw it out there.

blujaysrock
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Dunedin's game is currently in the 17th inning....just though ill throw it out there.

Carreno pitched pretty well 7 IP 5 H 1 ER 0 BB 9 K

Looks like Jupiter just got a run though in the 17th and we lost.

statquo
07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Is there somewhere you can listen to minor league games on the net?

nstojic
07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
you'll have to sign in..it's free

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/multimedia/audio.jsp

broncosfan_101
07-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Carreno pitched pretty well 7 IP 5 H 1 ER 0 BB 9 K

I'm actually sorry to do this, but I need to point out that this is much better than 'pretty well'. That's a ridiculous start, especially considering that he now has 135 K's to just 25 BB's in 105 IP. His FIP sits at 2.09.

broncosfan_101
07-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Also, here's your Johermyn Chavez update...he's raking. In 360 AB's, he's sporting a .294/.369/.561 line with 23 HR's in high A ball. It'd be nice to still have a 21 year old kid like him to project as our future RF.

bomber0104
07-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Also, here's your Johermyn Chavez update...he's raking. In 360 AB's, he's sporting a .294/.369/.561 line with 23 HR's in high A ball. It'd be nice to still have a 21 year old kid like him to project as our future RF.

i'd love to have him in our system but seeing Morrow's development at the major league level has been a treat. If he can stay away from injuries, i have no doubt that he can develop into a top of the rotation starter.

The stats Chavez is putting up are nice but he is still in single A. A lot of people have raked at the lower levels in the past only to come up and falter at the major league level.

Not to mention, a guy like Chavez can easily be replaced in the draft, through intertnational FA or even in trades for guys like Buck, Downs and Bautista

BlueJayCarter
07-22-2010, 06:55 AM
As bomber0104 states Chavez and alot of prospects rake in the A leagues. And we can easily get a prospect like him in a draft, international FA and trades. The trade was League and Morrow. We needed to supply more than League to complete the trade and we had to give up a young prospect. I would make the move as Morrow has been exceptional in his first full year of starting and could be a future ace.

Carreno is pitching extremely well.

bartron_44
07-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I think Carreno AND Alvarez should be moved up to AA to finish the season. If we moved them up to NH, the starting staff would be something like:

Drabek - 22, from Doc trade
Stewart - 23, from Rolen trade
Reyes - 25, from Gonzalez trade
Carreno - 23, non drafted free agent in 04
Alvarez - 20, non drafted free agent in 06

...that may be one of the best AA rotations in all of baseball, and we didn't "draft" a single one of those players.....lol

Then behind them you have the next wave of drafted/free agent signings like Jenkins, Tepera, McGuire, Wojo, Snydergaard, Sanchez, Egan Smith, Griffin Murphy, Daniel Barnes, Casey Lawrence, (hopefully Sam Dyson)

I really like the looks of our farm system in terms of arms..we need a AAA team we can place pitchers in though.

nstojic
07-22-2010, 06:30 PM
In mid-June, Casey Lawrence was pitching for the Brushtown Bulldogs, an amateur team representing a southern Pennsylvania hamlet so small that the census lists it only as "a populated place."

That description is a stretch, as any Brushtown Bulldog will tell you, but their team has a faithful following in the venerable South Penn League. Lawrence's father and uncle played in that league, and after he went off to college, Lawrence returned in the summers to follow the family tradition.

He thought that might be the apex of his baseball career. Until June 14, that is, when a call came from Toronto Blue Jays scout Bobby Gandolfo.

Over 50 rounds of the amateur draft, 30 teams had passed on Casey Lawrence. But Gandolfo offered a contract. The signing bonus?

"A plane ticket," Lawrence says with a grin. "They said, 'We'll give you a chance.' I said, 'That's all I need.' "

The ticket took him to extended spring training in Florida, then to the Jays' rookie-level club in Auburn. Suddenly, Lawrence has a 3-0 record and a 1.05 ERA.

Keeping that up is a long shot for an undrafted pitcher. But for now, Jays officials are paying attention.

"It's always nice to see guys that don't get drafted get a chance and make the best of it, and certainly he's done that," Auburn manager Dennis Holmberg said. "He started in the bullpen, we put him in the rotation and he jumped out to just three marvellous starts -- he's 3-0, and should be 4-0. He pitched seven outstanding innings in Aberdeen and left with a 5-0 lead."

That night in Aberdeen, Md., 25 family and friends made the 90-minute drive south to see Lawrence pitch a remarkable game. He has struck out as many as seven in one start, but on this night, all of his 21 outs came on batted balls.

In a league filled with dimly lit parks, uneven infields and inexperienced players, Lawrence appreciates his defence, especially in comparison to his experience at Albright College, a small school in Reading, Pa.

"Ground balls with a metal bat in college get through, and at an NCAA Division III school a lot of guys aren't that athletic and quick. Here, I just try to get ground balls. I just let the defence do their job."

In Lawrence's month as a pro, coaches have helped him refine his grips in order to sharpen his breaking pitches. Last week he used a bullpen session to work on his changeup grip.

"They're big on the changeup here," he said. "I'm using it a lot more than in college."

Lawrence earned a marketing degree at Albright. When he went undrafted, he was ready to start job hunting.

"I was going to look into independent ball. I had my degree to fall back on, which was nice. If I got a job, I was going to keep playing in a local league. But things fell into place. So far, so good."

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/Jays+prospect+doing+best+beat+odds/3302780/story.html

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=596271

bomber0104
07-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Snider 2-4, HR, 6 RBIs
some thing has to be done soon so we can get Snider up to the majors

Mastorianni 3-4, 2 2B
I dunno why he isn't at AAA yet

Cooper with a HR giving him 15 in 353 AB
The power doesn't seem to be an issue wit him

Drabek 7IP, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 Ks
He may only have a couple of starts left in AA

bomber0104
07-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Perez and Knecht are lighting it up at Auburn hitting .327 and .311

Perez (C) actually has 6 triples so far this season

2009mvp
07-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Snider 2-4, HR, 6 RBIs
some thing has to be done soon so we can get Snider up to the majors

Mastorianni 3-4, 2 2B
I dunno why he isn't at AAA yet

Cooper with a HR giving him 15 in 353 AB
The power doesn't seem to be an issue wit him

Drabek 7IP, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 Ks
He may only have a couple of starts left in AA

Well there's nothing that can be done for now. He's still required to stay a few more days in AA according to Wilner. Cito's pretty much said McCoy's only here for the weekend, come Tuesday he should be back in Vegas and Snider back with the Jays.

StealingSigns
07-23-2010, 02:24 AM
Well there's nothing that can be done for now. He's still required to stay a few more days in AA according to Wilner. Cito's pretty much said McCoy's only here for the weekend, come Tuesday he should be back in Vegas and Snider back with the Jays.

Thought I read somewhere this move was done by AA to preserve Morrows arm. Had to leave Snider in the minors to bring Rzep up so he could get that start in. Morrows innings are of concern, but IMO this is a good thing (i.e. his season has been a success).

bartron_44
07-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Snider has homered in 3 straight, and 4 of his last 5 games! I think his timing is coming around again....lol

Hech is not batting .277 in AA after collecting 2 more hits last night. This is more like the guy I thought we were getting when we paid him all that $$$.

T.O. Fan
07-23-2010, 08:53 AM
I will absolutely loose it.......

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_e62c3061-1b03-59b1-b3fd-5de1ee8ddd23.html

Shifty1 69
07-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Why? Cause they signed their 12th rd draft pick who dropped cause of signability concerns?? Big deal, I doubt very much the kid would've dropped his full scholorship to Stanford to move into the Jays organization.

T.O. Fan
07-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Why? Cause they signed their 12th rd draft pick who dropped cause of signability concerns?? Big deal, I doubt very much the kid would've dropped his full scholorship to Stanford to move into the Jays organization.

Their 12th round pick who would've been a consensus top 10-15 pick, but fell because it was thought he was going to Stanford?

Why wouldn't that upset you that the Jays didn't take him in any of the later rounds, should he sign with the Cards?

torontosports10
07-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Their 12th round pick who would've been a consensus top 10-15 pick, but fell because it was thought he was going to Stanford?

Why wouldn't that upset you that the Jays didn't take him in any of the later rounds, should he sign with the Cards?

Cause thats part of the ******** baseball draft. We signed Thon, who fell quite a bit and would have gone much higher.

Its a risk in a ******** draft system that needs to be fixed.

Shifty1 69
07-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Nope, not pissed at all. 28 other teams passed on him 11+ times each as well.
That being said, I believe any pick past the 5th round I would take a chance on any concensus 1st/2nd rounder that falls due to signability issues. Perfect opportunity to go way above slot, perhaps giving him 1st rd $.... but hindsight is 20/20.... no way I will lose any sleep over it, happens all the time.
Dickie Thon Jr. apparently only made it to the 5th rd because the perception was that he was going to go to college but the Jays opened the purse strings and signed him... if I am not mistaken, he was considered a 1st round talent... could be wrong about that tho.

T.O. Fan
07-23-2010, 09:54 AM
First off Austin Wilson hasn't signed, so let's be clear on that. I'll still be surprised if he does sign.

Secondly, I was screaming for them to draft him so hindsight in this case isn't 20/20 should he sign with the Cardinals.

Don't really care how many other teams passed on him how many times. It's irrelevant.

You may lose sleep over it 5 years from now when he's an all star in St. Louis :)

torontosports10
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
First off Austin Wilson hasn't signed, so let's be clear on that. I'll still be surprised if he does sign.

Secondly, I was screaming for them to draft him so hindsight in this case isn't 20/20 should he sign with the Cardinals.

Don't really care how many other teams passed on him how many times. It's irrelevant.

You may lose sleep over it 5 years from now when he's an all star in St. Louis :)

Nah, I still wont lose sleep over it.

Its the way she goes boys, the ****in way she goes

Bjaxn45
07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Nah, I still wont lose sleep over it.

Its the way she goes boys, the ****in way she goes

Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't.

The real problem with the draft is that it isn't fully international imo. Although we are kind of taking advantage of the international free agents right now so I'm having a hard time disliking it now. When the yanks and sox make the big international signings I hate it though haha.

Shifty1 69
07-23-2010, 01:18 PM

First off, if he doesnt sign then that will justify why nobody picked him before that.;)

Secondly, I wasnt talking about your hindsight, was more talking about GM's.

Speaking of an All-Star (and CY winner) in St. Louis, I havent lost a second of sleep over Chris Carpenter, nor do I or will I, when my favourite players move on no matter what sport. I wont cry when Lidstrom retires, didnt stress when Mrs. Chris Bosh-James joined her BFF in Miami:rolleyes: I especially wont lose any sleep over the Jays not drafting a HS kid who chances are will never take significant AB's in the majors and who is 4 years away anyways.....:) They signed that 16yo Venezualan Adonis that people are saying would have been a first rounder if he was in the draft.

Shifty1 69
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
^^^ ummm yeah, its not really something that justifies the back and forth... perhaps we should just agree to disagree on how much we care about drafted players.

And I am not piling on here, but it is a pet peeve of mine... in your original post, its "lose" not "loose". lol

Asham
07-23-2010, 04:14 PM
BLue Jays sign Kellen Sweeney(2nd round pick)

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/147770095

bomber0104
07-23-2010, 04:17 PM
BLue Jays sign Kellen Sweeney(2nd round pick)

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/147770095

thats gonna make a lot of people happy.. i'm not as big of a fan but i like the signing

T.O. Fan
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
^^^ ummm yeah, its not really something that justifies the back and forth... perhaps we should just agree to disagree on how much we care about drafted players.

And I am not piling on here, but it is a pet peeve of mine... in your original post, its "lose" not "loose". lol

ummm, weak.

You do realize that in your first post you spelled scholarship wrong, right? A pet peeve of mine is when people try to call someone out for making a mistake (spelling in this case), then make a similar error.

nstojic
07-23-2010, 08:19 PM
I know the Jays are eager to get their AAA team out of LV... I think they were hoping THIS didn't happen:
The New York Mets and Buffalo Bisons today announced a two-year extension of their player development partnership through 2012.

oh well... I just hate being in the PCL with the late start times... I miss the IL days as the sky chiefs..

fatkev78
07-23-2010, 08:24 PM
^ I would love to see the Ottawa Lynx back and have them as the Jays AAA team.

lukeem21
07-23-2010, 09:07 PM
jays shouls be push hard and do whatever they can to get Canadian minor league teams... for example if they had a team in Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal fans in those cities would become a lot more loyal to the Blue Jays and getting the country behind the team would make a huge difference financially

The_Jet11
07-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I remember reading the the Jays hoped to move their AAA affiliate after the 2010 season, but which other affiliates are available? it would seem difficult to get a AAA franchise in Canada up and running for the 2011 season, but I'd love to see it!

The_Jet11
07-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Hech is looking pretty good at AA! 2/3 so far today with his first 2 SB in AA.
I'm starting to think that he's going to make an appearance with the Jays before Sept 2011. Perhaps they'll send him to the Arizona Fall League this year, and see if they can speed up his development. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hill taking some GB's at 3rd base next year in spring training, in anticipation of Hechavarria joining the big club at 2B.

1B Wallace, 2B) Hechavarria, SS) Escobar, and 3B) Hill by opening day in 2012 could be dirty!

idrinkpepsi
07-24-2010, 12:51 AM
If Hech, Yunel, Hill, and Wallace are all up by opening day could you imagine our roster that year? We'd be pretty much solid throughout the whole lineup, and the pitching minus the bullpen which is the only real question mark going into the future.

broncosfan_101
07-24-2010, 01:02 AM
JPA has now gone 4 straight games without a homer...

T.O.Bombinators
07-24-2010, 01:13 AM
jays shouls be push hard and do whatever they can to get Canadian minor league teams... for example if they had a team in Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal fans in those cities would become a lot more loyal to the Blue Jays and getting the country behind the team would make a huge difference financially

vancouver has a short season A ball team affliated with oakland

blujaysrock
07-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Ryan Tepera in Lansing, has gone 9-4 on the year with a 3.14 ERA 106.2 IP 89 H 32 BB and 72 SO.

His last 2 starts 10 IP 1 H 1 ER 5 BB 7 SO getting the win in both of those.

idrinkpepsi
07-24-2010, 06:39 AM
JPA has now gone 4 straight games without a homer...

http://www.dysnomia.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/end1.jpg

We clearly got to get rid of him NOW!

:p

TouchEm All Joe
07-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Hech is looking pretty good at AA! 2/3 so far today with his first 2 SB in AA.
I'm starting to think that he's going to make an appearance with the Jays before Sept 2011. Perhaps they'll send him to the Arizona Fall League this year, and see if they can speed up his development. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hill taking some GB's at 3rd base next year in spring training, in anticipation of Hechavarria joining the big club at 2B.

1B Wallace, 2B) Hechavarria, SS) Escobar, and 3B) Hill by opening day in 2012 could be dirty!

Would be tough to decide between Hech and Esco at SS. Hechavarria is supposed to be a filthy good fielder. While we can already see that escobar is no slouch either with a very strong throwing arm.

TouchEm All Joe
07-24-2010, 12:24 PM
vancouver has a short season A ball team affliated with oakland

Telus Field in Edmonton is the best baseball stadium in canada outside of Rogers Center. Edmonton is rumored to be hard after a AAA team for next season.

wowzman
07-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Telus Field in Edmonton is the best baseball stadium in canada outside of Rogers Center. Edmonton is rumored to be hard after a AAA team for next season.

Better than the Big O? :D

The_Jet11
07-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Edmonton would work, but Telus Field looks kind of weird with the grass outfield and field turf infield. I would argue that Labatt Park in London is a much nicer field, and certainly has a greater baseball history. London may be a little to close to T.O. for the Jays liking, so perhaps Ottawa would be a better option. The Ottawa Fat Cats rejoined the IBL this season, but are not an ideal franchise for the Inter-county league anyways. Perhaps a AAA affiliate in Ottawa would be better.

bomber0104
07-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Shawn Hill with 6 more SO innings in the GCL.. i dont understand why he isn't up in AAA. we have guys like Lewis who are just getting hammered there

Asham
07-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Shawn Hill with 6 more SO innings in the GCL.. i dont understand why he isn't up in AAA. we have guys like Lewis who are just getting hammered there

Because the guy just came back from a major injury

idrinkpepsi
07-24-2010, 05:29 PM

Shawn Hill is 29 and the Jays are taking a their sweet time with Hill, he has been doing good since coming back from Tommy John for his second time. I'd love to see him come up but they need to not rush him.

Macedonian
07-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Sobolewski...
3-4 today, with 2 homers (1 grand slam) and a double!

McDade...
2-3... HR + 2B

BlueJayCarter
07-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Good stats by those two players.

I think Telus field would be good.

(OAN: One more post to 100. :clap::):))

Shifty1 69
07-24-2010, 09:56 PM
ummm, weak.

You do realize that in your first post you spelled scholarship wrong, right? A pet peeve of mine is when people try to call someone out for making a mistake (spelling in this case), then make a similar error.

Agreed, that was weak.lol just understand that I really wasn't looking to call you out.... It was a common mistake you made and sadly I responded,lol

thank you for pointing out my error. :) It was nice of you to go back and proofreading my posts. :)

The_Jet11
07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
He's back!

ARENCIBIA with a 3 run HR in his first at-bat tonight.

29 now on the season.

idrinkpepsi
07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
:clap:

The end is not near.

Macedonian
07-24-2010, 11:25 PM
He's back!

ARENCIBIA with a 3 run HR in his first at-bat tonight.

29 now on the season.
Brett Wallace homers, too...
His AVG is over .300 now...
61 R ; 18 HR ; 60 RBI ; .302 AVG ; .516 SLG!

bomber0104
07-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Wallace showing the guns with homers in straight games

BlueJayCarter
07-25-2010, 07:21 AM
If any fielding prospects come up in the next two months it has to be JPA and Wallace. They have played really well at Triple AAA and they need to show off the skills they have learned offensively and defensively at the major league level.

BlueJayCarter
07-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Egan Smith is pitching well in Lansing. Started out in Auburn went 2-0 with 0.00 era and called up to Lansing. Only 21, maybe gets to Dunedin? Good strikeout to walk ratio.

Billyen
07-25-2010, 10:06 AM
I would argue that Labatt Park in London is a much nicer field, and certainly has a greater baseball history. London may be a little to close to T.O. for the Jays liking, so perhaps Ottawa would be a better option.

Ah London, born and raised. LB park is a decent park. I used to run after HR balls out in the grass area. I do know what you mean by too close but, wouldn't you want to make the drive to see the AAA kids? <It would take me 24 on a plane now 8-( >

Luca68
07-25-2010, 11:15 PM
woow las vegas is getting lit up 15-0 in the fourth inning

BIGdanielBABY
07-25-2010, 11:27 PM
woow las vegas is getting lit up 15-0 in the fourth inning

Merkin Valdez...12 earned runs in 2.0 innings...ouch

idrinkpepsi
07-25-2010, 11:44 PM
and to top it off they're getting 1 hit through 4 innings

:facepalm:

Macedonian
07-26-2010, 10:40 PM
In mid-June, Casey Lawrence was pitching for the Brushtown Bulldogs, an amateur team representing a southern Pennsylvania hamlet so small that the census lists it only as "a populated place."

That description is a stretch, as any Brushtown Bulldog will tell you, but their team has a faithful following in the venerable South Penn League. Lawrence's father and uncle played in that league, and after he went off to college, Lawrence returned in the summers to follow the family tradition.

He thought that might be the apex of his baseball career. Until June 14, that is, when a call came from Toronto Blue Jays scout Bobby Gandolfo.

Over 50 rounds of the amateur draft, 30 teams had passed on Casey Lawrence. But Gandolfo offered a contract. The signing bonus?

"A plane ticket," Lawrence says with a grin. "They said, 'We'll give you a chance.' I said, 'That's all I need.' "

The ticket took him to extended spring training in Florida, then to the Jays' rookie-level club in Auburn. Suddenly, Lawrence has a 3-0 record and a 1.05 ERA.

Keeping that up is a long shot for an undrafted pitcher. But for now, Jays officials are paying attention.

"It's always nice to see guys that don't get drafted get a chance and make the best of it, and certainly he's done that," Auburn manager Dennis Holmberg said. "He started in the bullpen, we put him in the rotation and he jumped out to just three marvellous starts -- he's 3-0, and should be 4-0. He pitched seven outstanding innings in Aberdeen and left with a 5-0 lead."

That night in Aberdeen, Md., 25 family and friends made the 90-minute drive south to see Lawrence pitch a remarkable game. He has struck out as many as seven in one start, but on this night, all of his 21 outs came on batted balls.

In a league filled with dimly lit parks, uneven infields and inexperienced players, Lawrence appreciates his defence, especially in comparison to his experience at Albright College, a small school in Reading, Pa.

"Ground balls with a metal bat in college get through, and at an NCAA Division III school a lot of guys aren't that athletic and quick. Here, I just try to get ground balls. I just let the defence do their job."

In Lawrence's month as a pro, coaches have helped him refine his grips in order to sharpen his breaking pitches. Last week he used a bullpen session to work on his changeup grip.

"They're big on the changeup here," he said. "I'm using it a lot more than in college."

Lawrence earned a marketing degree at Albright. When he went undrafted, he was ready to start job hunting.

"I was going to look into independent ball. I had my degree to fall back on, which was nice. If I got a job, I was going to keep playing in a local league. But things fell into place. So far, so good."

Casey Lawrence signs with Toronto Blue Jays a month ago...
Impresive stats: W/L 3:0 ; 37.1 IP ; 1.45 ERA ; 0.884 WHIP

Macedonian
07-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Hechavarria 3-5 today, with a homer... His AVG went up to .310!
D. Cooper 2-3, double, single, walk and 3 rbi
Thames 2-4, triple, single, 3 rbi

Arencibia with a double and a walk in his first 2 attempts tonight!

BlueJayFanDan
07-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Hechevarria has been awesome since that promotion.

bomber0104
07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Brad Glenn hit for the cycle in Lansing

StealingSigns
07-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Hechavarria 3-5 today, with a homer... His AVG went up to .310!
D. Cooper 2-3, double, single, walk and 3 rbi
Thames 2-4, triple, single, 3 rbi

Arencibia with a double and a walk in his first 2 attempts tonight!

Hechevarria has been awesome since that promotion.

I guess AA knew what he was doing when he promoted him to AA. Looks like having a Latin manager has worked wonders.