PDA

View Full Version : Three All Stars Are A Good Start, but....

J4KOP99
07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Before I start, obviously the Heat do not have anything close to a complete roster but using our knowledge and logic we can assume the Heat will not be able to bring in any other "all-star" caliber players. It seems as if they are adding Mike Miller to a roster that currently has, Bosh, Chalmers, LeBron and Wade. Let's also assume they bring back Joel Anthony, maybe Haslem and a few other veterans looking for a ring.

Now, onto the thread.

As a Lakers fan and also knowing the Celtics very well, both teams should be very confident going into next season. The lakers and celtics both possess one thing the Heat will not be able to attain, a ton of size and depth at every position. Both teams have multiple players who can defend multiple positons.(Celts- Tony Allen, Ray Allen, Rondo, Pierce... Lakers- Artest, Kobe, Odom, Vujacic)

The heat have a great 3-player nucleus and should be able to put up a ton of points, the main problem is that they do not have a defensive presence down low. Although these are rare, the good teams have them. Celtics have Garnett, Perkins and now Jermaine O'neal who are all tremendous defensive players when healthy. The Lakers have Bynum, Gasol and Odom. Even the Magic have a ton of size to counter the Heat. Great team defense starts with your big men and as we all can agree, Bosh is far from a great defensive presence.

LeBron and/or Wade may not win an MVP while playing together but against what some may think, they actually compliment eachother nicely. LeBron will play a Magic Johnson role and Wade can still slash his way to the basket at will. They also will see mostly single coverage... a scary thought for most teams.

Except the two previously mentioned.

LA and Boston can send 3 or 4 guys at each player, constantly giving them different defensive looks. What can the Heat do? Unlike others, I think the Heat can manage a nice roster, but nothing compared to the depth of the two most recent champions. Both wade and lebron are going to log a lot of minutes and come playoff time, once you reach the 2nd or 3rd round, the minutes start to add up.

I am telling you right now, do not be surprised if the Celtics or Lakers take out the Heat in the playoffs.Actually, be surprised if it happens the other way. The Celtics may be old but they play as a team and most importantly, they play defense as a team. Having stars can only get you so far, just look at the '04 lakers. (Don't give me the argument Malone and Payton were too old. They just ran into a team that dominated them defensively. Even if both of them could have been 25 years old and they still would have lost that series.)

JasonJohnHorn
07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
I know Miami fans are excited (and some other fans irrate), but people, including LeBron James himself, are already talking about Miami being a title contender. My question is: who else is on the roster?

Beasley has been traded, so Chambers is the only player left under contract as Haslem's rights had to be resinded to sign James and Bosh. Three all-star players each making a little over 16 million, that adds up to over 48 million dollars, and the cap is likely going to be between 55-58 million dollars, which give Miami 10 million dollars to fill out the rest of the roster, and with Mike Miller reportedly signing a contract, it seems like the only "big" on the roster is Bosh, who is a touch on the lean side considering his 6'10 frame carries less than 230 pounds. Without a center, or a back up center, or a back up power forward, how is this heat team going to be able to bang with the big bodies on teams like Orlando and LA? Or even Atlanta for that matter?

It seems to me that a lot of players will have to be willing to take the vet. min. if Miami hopes to have enough players in the front court and coming off the bench to even get out of the first round of the playoffs, let alone win a title.

And and LA match-up still doesnt look good for Miami. Gasol wins the power forward match up, Kobe wins the shooting guard match up, and Artest is enough of a pest to make James play as inefficiently as Pierce had him playing in the conference semis this year. Plus they have Bynum and Odom. I see this being a big story followed by a big let down. With so much money tied up in these three players, it will be a couple years of adding draft picks and free agents via the MLE before they are contending. Cleveland would have been contending this upcoming season.

Hoopsadvocate
07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
So in summary: Lakers/Boston have depth on the defensive end at 3-4 different positions and thats why they are still better than the HEAT?

Well while i agree ya'll have depth it will mean nothing against this squad. Wade almost singlehandedly challenged the celtics almost taking game 1 then got game 3 to a buzzer beater and then exploded in game 4. If he did that by himself against so called depth imagine what adding a guy like lebron who when healthy did the same thing. Not only that then add CB4. your depth means very little those 3 rightt here demand 5 people to guard them (double teams at all times on wade and lebron and bosh might be able to be single covered). Point is there are only 5 guys on the court. The big 3 almost count as 6 to the defensive team.

And funny how you forget to mention both those teams are on the age wise decline which means more prone to injury, slower, less stamina which will all affect there game and so called depth.

greek miami hea
07-09-2010, 10:32 AM
lol at people who think that miami<boston,la...simply,lol....our 3 superstars can beatyou aytme anywhere and wait... we addedmller and possibly some really good vetrans and some talented young players...when our roster will be completed you will even fraid to spell the word MIAMI!!!!!!! TS GO HEAT @@@@ THE HATERS

BradytoGronkTD
07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
So in summary: Lakers/Boston have depth on the defensive end at 3-4 different positions and thats why they are still better than the HEAT?

Well while i agree ya'll have depth it will mean nothing against this squad. Wade almost singlehandedly challenged the celtics almost taking game 1 then got game 3 to a buzzer beater and then exploded in game 4. If he did that by himself against so called depth imagine what adding a guy like lebron who when healthy did the same thing. Not only that then add CB4. your depth means very little those 3 rightt here demand 5 people to guard them (double teams at all times on wade and lebron and bosh might be able to be single covered). Point is there are only 5 guys on the court. The big 3 almost count as 6 to the defensive team.

And funny how you forget to mention both those teams are on the age wise decline which means more prone to injury, slower, less stamina which will all affect there game and so called depth.

WHOA, who do you think you are calling them the big 3, as of right now the celtics have the big 3, find your own nickname.

P.S.
Don't get too cocky, team chemistry is a big factor into bieng a succesful basketball team, and you have a very big ego in Lebron. Also, you have a very young PG and head coach, not to mention you don't even have a starting center. Its going to take alot from the three stars for this team. Don't get me wrong I think this has the potential to be the best team ever, but they have to play as a team, not individuals and until the season starts we won't know if they can.

JasonJohnHorn
07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
WTF did my thread get moved into this Boston thread?