PDA

View Full Version : Dan Gilbert Gurantees a Title for Cavs before Lebron gets One!

Mile High Champ
07-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Gilbert: "I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"

Gilbert promised that "curse" on Cleveland sports would follow James to Miami.

"The self-declared former 'King' will be taking the 'curse' with him down south," Gilbert wrote. "And until he does 'right' by Cleveland and Ohio, James [and the town where he plays] will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5365793

h2r09
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
this guy is making himself look like an idiot.

VRP723
07-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Whether it happens or not (it won't) I respect him for calling LeBron out.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2010, 09:06 AM

I dont know about an idiot, he is clearly upset and frustrated with Lebron. I personally would not have guranteed the title...

Raoul Duke
07-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I feel really bad for Gilbert, but man... he's gonna regret saying all that and wish he'd been the bigger person.

Slimsim
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Crazy drunk

Niro
07-09-2010, 09:13 AM
cocaine maaan

GrumpyOldMan
07-09-2010, 09:14 AM
He's angry with good cause. Of course Miami will win before Cleveland now. He was upset and emotional and should have stayed away from the media until he cooled down.

prodigy
07-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Everything he said was true. But maybe he could've left that part out. But you can't blame the guy. He has done so much and spent so much money for Lebron.

its tough and it hurts.

pacofunk64
07-09-2010, 09:24 AM
No class at all...I understand he is frustrated at Lebron right now but damn I can't blame Lebron one bit for this. It just makes sense for Lebron. That being said...GO BULLS!

omdigga
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
one of the best drunk rants ive heard in a while... i hope it comes tru for clevland fans.. but its not going to..

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
that part about the championship is not true but everything else he said was for sure

themadstork
07-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Frankly, I can't see how Miami is going to win. Three gigantic egos and a cast of cast-offs? I give it a year before the back-biting begins.

All James has done is destroy any chance that any knowledgeable basketball fan will take him seriously.

-Stork

VIP1349
07-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Just a man being completely honest, actually like that in sports once in a while. I am pulling for him, a lot of people will be. Cleveland became like the little team that everybody will root for, I know I will.

mynameismo
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Me too.

VIP1349
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Certainly just earned him my favorite Owner spot.

xxplayerxx23
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Have a lot of respect for him. He called out james/ i doubt they win a championship before miami does. But at least someone shows how much of a dirtbag lebron is. Lebron is ganna get booed in clevland everytime he toches the ball just like vince carter did when he quit on tor

uchiha
07-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Lebron is a dirtbag for wanting to be happy, lol you guys are funny

KnicksR4Real
07-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I have lot of respect for him calling Lebron out.

episodenone
07-09-2010, 09:59 AM

amen.

at least james dolan [for the 1st time] handled it right

prodigy
07-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Ya, making 120+ million, winning 60 games a year ahhh I would feel so bad for Lebron lol. Poor baby.

magichatnumber9
07-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Thats poetry.

prodigy
07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
People act like lebron just wants to be loved and he is so Innocent. He Quit on the Cavs in the playoffs. He did not allow the Cavs to improve the roster. common.

Things will die down. Cavs fans, players and people in the front office are angry right now and they have a right to be.

Maybe Gilbert was out of line, BUT IT WAS GREAT, and as a Cleveland fan it felt good to hear this.

Gilbert did not make these comments to please Fans from other teams.

mynameismo
07-09-2010, 10:06 AM

He's a dirtbag on how he handled free agency. That one hour special (which I didn't watch), giving false hopes to Cleveland fans, and how this all could've been a simple phone call to say goodbye and thank you. He at least owe the people of Cleveland that much.

Other than that, it was the right choice. He does have better chances in Miami.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-09-2010, 10:07 AM
cocaine is a hell of a drug

Mile High Champ
07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Seems like a lot of ppl are on the side of Dan Gilbert.. I am just shocked he made a gurantee like that.

Draco
07-09-2010, 10:15 AM
People act like lebron just wants to be loved and he is so Innocent. He Quit on the Cavs in the playoffs. He did not allow the Cavs to improve the roster. common.

Things will die down. Cavs fans, players and people in the front office are angry right now and they have a right to be.

Maybe Gilbert was out of line, BUT IT WAS GREAT, and as a Cleveland fan it felt good to hear this.

Gilbert did not make these comments to please Fans from other teams.

He wasn't IMO.. not in this case.

Jack_Meoff
07-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Besides the whole egocentric "The Decision" and the tomfoolery of this free agency..... I can't be upset with Lebron,.... He did what every body wants all-stars to do: took less money to play with a team that offers him the best chance to win, he is willing to play a smaller role and his stock/brand will clearly suffer from playing for another All-star's team. It was a humble choice, he should have just asked for less attention and signed a deal with Bosh and Wade from the beginning.... although he did raise a lot of money for a charity.

Dan Gilbert is buggin out, his claims about Cleveland winning a championship before the Heat (LOL)--I dont even need to touch that one. But to state that Lebron cheated them and quit on them or disgraced the Cavs!?!? I mean does anyone remember the Cavs pre-Lebron?? A joke of a team, they were the clippers, Lebron put Ohio on the map, Cavs milked him for everything and he gave them sooooo much.... even with the emotional rollercoaster of LBJ, he still gave them more then he took away.

Draco
07-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Seems like a lot of ppl are on the side of Dan Gilbert.. I am just shocked he made a gurantee like that.

I'm not.. it's purely an emotional reaction. I wouldn't take it seriously, nor create a thread poll about it as though there's any real possibility of it happening.

dstruong
07-09-2010, 10:18 AM
sounds like a man doing everything he can to save his marriage only for his wife (james) to leave him any ways....

Jack_Meoff
07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm not.. it's purely an emotional reaction. I wouldn't take it seriously, nor create a thread poll about it as though there's any real possibility of it happening.

Personally, I'm upset about this, Lebron gave a lot to Cleveland and its fans, he wants a ring and clearly he is not getting one in Ohio... no one wants to play there so what is he to do??? Pull a Dan Marino?? I think not

dstruong
07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
and also... i would be drunken crazy too if my cash cow just announced on national tv that he was leaving. Imagine the net value of the cavs after this. Usher better sell his stocks...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-29/lebron-james-s-departure-may-cut-value-of-nba-s-cavaliers-by-250-million.html

nycsports2
07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
hes right

JonnyBrav000
07-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Dan Gilbert has no class. As much as Lebron shouldn't have dragged this out and made it to a soap opera, Gilbert is showing he is even more egotistical than Lebron is.

Is Gilbert some sort of witch or religious cult member to say something this creepy. Why is he literally casting a spell on Lebron? I am not rooting for the Heat, but I don't even feel sorry for the Cavs franchise now (I do sympathize with their fans however) because this guy is such an idiot.

By the way why is ESPN trying to demonize Cleveland fans??? That was probably 1 or two idiots burning the jersey, not everyone. This stuff makes me sick, as much as Lebron is a douche, it is ridiculous to go burning Lebron stuff. Gilbert and those fans are weirdos.

The Raven
07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
As much as i want the Heat to never get a title now, not even I am able to believe that comment

twplanck41
07-09-2010, 10:29 AM
sounds like sour grapes to me...he didn't get the team around LeBron to entice him into staying. He is the loser and a loser...sore one at that. Why wouldn't LeBron leave? I would leave Cleveland in a heartbeat to play for this Miami team. Why wouldn't you want to go have 100% complete fun instead of having to carry a team and a franchise on your back all of the time. He can relax and doesn't have to do everything.

Why is everybody whining about LeBron going to Miami and not saying the same about Bosh? I know I know the way he did it was not the right way of doing it but who gives a ****? At the end of the day it is still sports and it is still about popularity and titles. So LeBron did what he thought was necessary for both, go on TV to announce "the decision" and go to a team that will give him the best chance at winning.

Also, why is nobody talking about how people didn't say much when the original "big 3" went to Boston in search of rings for themselves? Why are people not talking (too much) about how they have succeeded?

It's all craziness to me...

magichatnumber9
07-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Gilbert is the man. I hope Cleveland becomes a beast in a few years. That would be a great story

DLeeicious
07-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I LOVE IT! That is what I'm talking about DG. Cleveland is now my second favorite team :)

bulldog312
07-09-2010, 10:47 AM
It was a great move by Gilbert. You have to look at what his job is now. He has to rebuild the team and try and convince quality free agents to come. His rant about how motivated he is to build a championship team is going to sit well with potential free agents. I still don't think he will get anyone to come there for a while, but it only helped his cause.

Jaji
07-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Did he start smoking crack right after the decision was announced or did he start a few weeks back when it was inevitable LeBron was going bye bye?

Pinrod33
07-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Besides the whole egocentric "The Decision" and the tomfoolery of this free agency..... I can't be upset with Lebron,.... He did what every body wants all-stars to do: took less money to play with a team that offers him the best chance to win, he is willing to play a smaller role and his stock/brand will clearly suffer from playing for another All-star's team. It was a humble choice, he should have just asked for less attention and signed a deal with Bosh and Wade from the beginning.... although he did raise a lot of money for a charity.

Dan Gilbert is buggin out, his claims about Cleveland winning a championship before the Heat (LOL)--I dont even need to touch that one. But to state that Lebron cheated them and quit on them or disgraced the Cavs!?!? I mean does anyone remember the Cavs pre-Lebron?? A joke of a team, they were the clippers, Lebron put Ohio on the map, Cavs milked him for everything and he gave them sooooo much.... even with the emotional rollercoaster of LBJ, he still gave them more then he took away.

It's a good thing I read the posts before commenting cause sometimes I want to respond to every post. hahaha

But seriously, this is exactly what I was going to write. I have to agree that "The Decision" was over the top, but I expected it to be worse to be honest. In reality it was just a 15 minute interview of how he came to his decision and then he said where he would play. Everything else during that hour was ESPN hyping it up and a Q&A period after his decision. But now he's a "traitor"???

I don't understand that part. He was there for 7 years and the best player they gave him was Antwan-freaking-Jamison??? He's decent, but not great and he's practically the same type of player as LeBron is. James has put Cleveland basketball on the map again, and if not for him, the only relevancy that ballclub would have is the immortalized picture of MJ putting his nuts all over Craig Ehlo's chin while hitting "The Shot".

If anything, Cleveland owes LeBron. You should be grateful. he could have fled after his rookie deal and gone off to New York or another big market. I can understand the frustration and some anger because it didn't work out for you guys while he was there, but to call the guy a traitor and coward for playing out the entire length of his contract while being dedicated to the team and city is just unfair. His contract was up and he feels he has a better chance at winning a title coming to Miami with his friends, and for that he is vilified??? He's "evil" for not just going to whatever team could pay him the most and instead wanting to play some basketball with close friends of his, while having a good chance at winning multiple titles??? I don't get it.

Melo15
07-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Dan Gilbert wasn't the only one ranting after the decision, check out Mo Williams twitter page. His is much more down to earth though.

http://twitter.com/mogotti2

Gibby23
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Whatever. Gilbert had his chances, should have pulled the trigger on the Amare trade instead of Jamison. It would have been better from a talent standpoint and with Shaq, Lebron and Amare as free agents, the Cavs would have about 22 or 23 million under the cap.

DodgerBlue24
07-09-2010, 11:17 AM
I dont feel sorry 1 bit for Gilbert.... If not for Lebron he would have been bankrupt a long time ago... Lebron Made so much money for his @$$... He gave him 7 years of his career and Gilbert did nothing but sit there... What do you expect???? And now to take shots at Lebron is just stupid... Does nothing but make him look like an idiot...

Lebron did what he wanted to do which was his right as a free agent... And he chose to go where at the end of the day he will be with friends and actually win a championship... Which they will win for sure... Congrats to Lebron and the Heat... Wish he would have went to Orlando but hey what can you do...:):)

jrm2054
07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
HAHA wtf is he thinking

Young2Kinsler
07-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Gilbert with his childish rant just made it easier on LeBron leaving Cleveland. He has got to be out of his mind coming out and making the comments he did. What does that say to players who would consider coming to Cleveland in the future? It's really ignorant on his part, some one in that organization should have convinced him before he did this.

JWO35
07-09-2010, 12:28 PM
lol obviously he's a mean drunk...he must was throwing back that 1800 vodka, after he heard the news.

ragman
07-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Gilbert's being totally ridiculous. And saying totally ridiculous things, like saying the Cavs will win a championship before the Heat, may win you points from Cavs fans, but that doesn't translate into W's.

Mile High Champ
07-09-2010, 02:50 PM
lol obviously he's a mean drunk...he must was throwing back that 1800 vodka, after he heard the news.

You sure it was vodka.. haha

Tony_Starks
07-09-2010, 03:00 PM
This dude might as well turn in his resignation now. He's made a complete fool of himself and there's no way in hell they'll win a title.

Also in his rant and rave letter did this dude seriously say "Until he does right" by Cleveland that he will be cursed? Foreal Gilbert? Wasn't that like a line from Whoopi Goldberg in The Color Purple?

This guy needs to take a midol and get on with his life!

xbrackattackx
07-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I hope.

MaHaRaJaH
07-09-2010, 03:06 PM

It's a win-win for him.

lakerfan3118
07-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I would leave Cleveland in a heartbeat to play for this Miami team....

this Miami team has four people lol

ohreally
07-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I still think Miami and the rare chance to play with two of his friends who he sees as being near his level is the only thing that should be somewhat understandable for Cleveland and its fans.

I don't se anything wrong with Gilbert saying Cleveland will win a championship before LeBron, no matter how unlikely it seems, but the curse-of-Cleveland thing may have been a bit over the top; it's probably a good line for Cleveland fans though.

Swashcuff
07-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Dan Gilbert is a douche plain and simple... there calling someone out and there's making yourself out to be a total and complete ***hole. Gilbert did the latter.

pacofunk64
07-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Gilbert is a complete hipocrite. He calls out Lebron but about a month ago he was trying persuade Coach Izzo out of loyalty with Mich. St. :no:

lakersfan211
07-09-2010, 03:25 PM
i believe heat fans took our title as the most hated fans on psd , the team already took away the most hated team from us anyways the guy has a right to rant , lebron is the biggest prick in the nba now and wade and bosh are a close 2nd , they knew all along what they were gonna do , they just let it drag out . cant wait for us to crush that team next year . i will be rooting for cleveland next year , i hope they shock the world .

Swashcuff
07-09-2010, 03:27 PM
i believe heat fans took our title as the most hated fans on psd , the team already took away the most hated team from us anyways the guy has a right to rant , lebron is the biggest prick in the nba now and wade and bosh are a close 2nd , they knew all along what they were gonna do , they just let it drag out . cant wait for us to crush that team next year . i will be rooting for cleveland next year , i hope they shock the world .

not just PSD all of the NBA.

You know you're doing something well when this much people finds a reason to hate you.

brazilianblur
07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Completely classless. He validated LeBron leaving Cleveland. Who would want to play for an owner like that? LeBron gave Cleveland 7 years of great basketball and lifted the organization from nothing to one with the highest attendance in the past 3 years. By saying these idiotic things, he gave LeBron an excuse and now, I for one, don't blame him for leaving. Had he come out and thanked James and wished him luck, man people would have looked at the Cavs with sympathy. What an idiot!

D Roses Bulls
07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5365793

this was from bill simmons mail bag,

City: Richfield, Minn.
Name: Aaron
If I'm Cavs owner Dan Gilbert I immediately look at the schedule for when the Heat come to town the first time. I then arrange a ceremony where they retire jersey #23. Even have LeBron help raise it into the rafters. Do it up right and honor the accomplishments. I'd have an emotional speech put together honoring all the ups and downs that they've seen; bring up all the heartbreaks and near misses in the playoffs and regular season.

The name on the back of the jersey? Jordan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100709

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVTzXUl2Lk&feature=related

97NYer
07-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I had a daydream about the Cavs sucking and drafting Harrison Barnes and Barnes wearing number 23. And ending up being better than LeBron and winning a title.

Anilyzer
07-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I would just say, that the reaction of the Cavs owner Gilbert was VERY UGLY, and bordered on being a public threat of some kind. Based on exactly what he meant by "personally betrayed" and his accusations of Lebron throwing games, as well as some of his implied threats, the league and even the FBI should look HARD into this guy. It is definitely NOT a good feeling when a billionaire is threatening you.

I don't blame Lebron for leaving the Cavs now; as far as I'm concerned, they are a stupid team with pathetic fans, and I guess they can all get with their no class owner and yell about how much of a jerk Lebron is... and would he please please please come back and stop hurting them so much. The Cleveland fans sound like one of my ex-girlfriends or something. Have some dignity, you fools. If Lebron's agent said Lebron changed his mind, Gilbert would probably crawl on the ground and literally kiss Lebron's feet to come back. It's Cleveland's own fault for buying into all this hype all these years and handing over the organization to Lebron. The Celtics, Lakers or even the Heat and the Knicks would never do that. Actually the Heat showed more class than any team and won the free agent battle. LoL at all those stories about Cleveland fans literally crying in their beer after the press conference. LoL Lebron just PWNED them completely on national TV. This is the cable and internet age... and your entire city just set itself up to be PWNED worse than any city has ever been PWNED by a sports star. The whole city was like hoping, hoping, hoping, maybe, please, please, please: REJECTED.

Take a big picture of Cleveland and the Sears tower or whatever is there and put the word PWNED in big letters over it, then put it on Google images it should be #1.

Oh, and OF COURSE Cleveland will win the NBA championship now, OF COURSE. Right after the Chicago Bulls, somewhere around the year 2112