PDA

View Full Version : Mike Miller set to join Heat in 5-year/$30Mill deal

ruslan898
07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Mike Miller is reportedly poised to accept a five-year, $30 million offer to join LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh of the Heat.

Miller is a huge piece to the Heat's puzzle at winning a championship, but he'll have to be more aggressive than he's been in the past. Especially while playing with three guys who need the ball in their hands. That said, a starting lineup of Mario Chalmers, Wade, Miller, LeBron and Bosh is starting to look pretty good. Bosh doesn't want to play center, but he may have to. It was rumored all along that LeBron wanted to play with Miller, and it looks like it will come to fruition.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&hl=137647&id=682

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-michael-beasley-s070810,0,6830775.story

ruslan898
07-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Who's next????

GrumpyOldMan
07-09-2010, 08:55 AM
If Bosh is the 5, who plays the 4? They need a center. We will have to wait and see what they have left for cap space after the big 3 sign. They could be in trouble if they have no depth and get an injury or 2.

dwadefan03
07-09-2010, 08:57 AM
miller can come off the bench or wade/lebron can play point

ruslan898
07-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Shaq and AI? lol

h2r09
07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
LEbron will play point and it will be the biggest mismatch. nobody will be ale to stop this team. Lebron at point with miller in the corner? I smell a career year for mike.

NYKalltheway
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
How is that possible? Does the Heat have any cap space or do they need to ship Beasley?

Jetsguy
07-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I will admit I dont know all that much about the cap and how it works but I honestly can not understand how this is all going to work minus the big 3 taking like 12M/yr

h2r09
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
How is that possible? Does the Heat have any cap space or do they need to ship Beasley?

they already did.

Carey
07-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Nice pickup but they'd better get a center

ManRam
07-09-2010, 09:08 AM
They're going to fill out that roster really nicely.

Who isn't going to want to go to Miami now?? I'm scared.

J4KOP99
07-09-2010, 09:09 AM
So what is their cap space looking like now? Obviously we don't know how much $ Bosh, LeBron and Wade are taking. Now Miller comes in for 6 million a year... How the hell are they doing this?

likemystylez
07-09-2010, 09:14 AM
all i gotta say is this. If pat riley doesnt win a championship in 2011 with this amount of talent.... hes one of the most over rated coaches in sports history.

Note phil jackson failed to win a ring with kobe bryant, karl malone, shaquile oneil, and gary payton. in their primes

GSW Hoops
07-09-2010, 09:17 AM
all i gotta say is this. If pat riley doesnt win a championship in 2011 with this amount of talent.... hes one of the most over rated coaches in sports history.

Note phil jackson failed to win a ring with kobe bryant, karl malone, shaquile oneil, and gary payton. in their primes

Pat Riley isn't the coach.

Malone and Payton were not in their prime.

b_russ
07-09-2010, 09:18 AM
So what is their cap space looking like now? Obviously we don't know how much $ Bosh, LeBron and Wade are taking. Now Miller comes in for 6 million a year... How the hell are they doing this?

Maybe they're being flexible with their salaries until they've got some solid pieces around them? :shrug:

ROY 2 MVP Braun
07-09-2010, 09:18 AM
is this really the 04 olympic team or what?

ManRam
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM

McJoe and I were talking last night.

Under the current CBA, a player with 7-9 years of experience can make approximately $16.8 million (30% of a team's total cap) in the first year of a new deal and then make incremental increases as the contract progresses.

All they had on their roster was Mario Chalmers, making less than a million dollars (since Beasley got traded). So, they will get Bosh for 16-17 million. That puts them at most at 18. They get LeBron for 16-17 million, so now they are at 35. The cap is 56.1 million. They can sign Wade for a bit more since he played for them before. They also have his Bird rights which mean they can sign him EVEN if they are OVER the cap. Even if you sign him for 20 million, you still are just around or below that 56.1.

My guess, but I'm not sure, is that they can sign Bosh and LeBron first, sign some other guys, then go over the cap when they sign Wade. But I'm not sure if that's allowed. I assume it is.

They also have the MLE to use...which is about what Miller's contract is at.

_Supreme_
07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
If Bosh is the 5, who plays the 4?

Bosh will play power forward.

Joel Anthony is almost certainly coming back @ center. All he would have to do is rebound and block shots, which are exactly the two things he can do pretty nicely.

We have Pittman also, and I wouldn't rule out a minimum big body veteran center signing either.

Slimsim
07-09-2010, 09:28 AM
of course.

SSnow21
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
somehow i don't think they're gonna have a problem filling out the roster.

_Supreme_
07-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Under the current CBA, a player with 7-9 years of experience can make approximately $16.8 million (30% of a team's total cap) in the first year of a new deal and then make incremental increases as the contract progresses.

All they had on their roster was Mario Chalmers, making less than a million dollars (since Beasley got traded). So, they will get Bosh for 16-17 million. That puts them at most at 18. They get LeBron for 16-17 million, so now they are at 35. The cap is 56.1 million. They can sign Wade for a bit more since he played for them before. They also have his Bird rights which mean they can sign him EVEN if they are OVER the cap. Even if you sign him for 20 million, you still are just around or below that 56.1.

My guess, but I'm not sure, is that they can sign Bosh and LeBron first, sign some other guys, then go over the cap when they sign Wade. But I'm not sure if that's allowed. I assume it is.

A few slight corrections: the cap is $58M this year, and there is no MLE for teams under the cap (at the start of free agency).

The exact contract numbers aren't known yet, but it is being said that Wade/Bosh/Bron/Miller/Anthony/Chalmers all fit under the cap. Players likely will not all take the full max.

We got a TPE due to the Beasley "trade", but at the moment I am not sure if or how it can play a role here.

Veteran minimum player contracts can still be a couple of million dollars, and you can sign them regardless of being over the cap. The same for second round draft picks (we have three of those).

ATX
07-09-2010, 09:32 AM

A little bit of guess work but here goes:

M Chalmers(.85)/P Beverly(450k)
D Wade(15.5)/R Bell(vet min-1m)
L James(15.5)/M Miller(6)/D Butler(2nd ropund pick-450k)
C Bosh(15.5)/J Vernando(2nd round pick-450k)
J Anthony(1.5)/Pittman(2nd rounder-450k)

J Jones 1.5 million cap hit.

(Assuming the 3 rookies are signed)

Total in this scenario is 59 million, but you can exceed the cap to sign 2nd round draft picks and minimum deals. Correct me if I'm wrong. This is also assuming the only vet minimum deal is raja Bell. The roster could get much better adding another vet or two agreeing to play along Wade/LBJ/Bosh

Jetsguy
07-09-2010, 09:34 AM
A few slight corrections: the cap is $58M this year, and there is no MLE for teams under the cap (at the start of free agency).

The exact contract numbers aren't known yet, but it is being said that Wade/Bosh/Bron/Miller/Anthony/Chalmers all fit under the cap. Players likely will not all take the full max.

We got a TPE due to the Beasley "trade", but at the moment I am not sure if or how it can play a role here.

Veteran minimum player contracts can still be a couple of million dollars, and you can sign them regardless of being over the cap. The same for second round draft picks (we have three of those).

I thought you had to count some sort of cap hold against these though?

xxseven72ducexx
07-09-2010, 09:35 AM
how are they gonna sign him if they have to pay wade, bosh AND lebron?

_Supreme_
07-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I'd say it will be approx. like this (not using the exact numbers):

Wade $16M
Bron $16M
Bosh $16M
Chalmers $1M
Miller $6M
Anthony $1.5M
JJ's cap hit $1.5M

= $58M

+ all the rookies and (vet) minimum players after that.

_Supreme_
07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
I thought you had to count some sort of cap hold against these though?

Yes, but all of those added up are not big enough of an amount to cause any real problems.

There are some technical possibilities to wiggle a little. With really large amounts that would be a problem, but not with these.

Trust me, the FO knows what it's doing. The numbers will work in the end.

Pinrod33
07-09-2010, 09:48 AM
And the key is that Miller is taking a significant amount less than he would have gotten from the Knicks or someone else. This is something that people and especially "experts" have been saying wouldn't happen and we would have to deal with "9 Chris Quinn's" running around. Something amazing is happening down here and people are going to want to be a part of it.

qbanheatfan
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM

Its possible because the three superstars are planning on taking less money...probably looking at starting salary of around 14 million which is 42 million leaving about 8 million left over before they hit the cap

1amLEGEND
07-09-2010, 10:02 AM
good move if he stays healthy for once

1amLEGEND
07-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Wade $16M
Bron $16M
Bosh $16M
Chalmers $1M
Miller $6M
Anthony $1.5M
JJ's cap hit $1.5M

= $58M

they prolly all only get 11.5 mill

bulldog312
07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
The Heat cannot sign veteran minimum players to go over the cap. They can't resign Wade to go over the cap (his salary has a cap hold unless they renounce those rights). They don't get a MLE.

Basically all of these exceptions to get around the salary cap are to give teams over the cap at the start of the offseason the flexibility to make small moves. If you start the offseason below the cap like the Heat did the salary cap is almost like a hard cap. So don't expect them to make any type of moves that put them over the cap this offseason.

bulldog312
07-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Wade $16M
Bron $16M
Bosh $16M
Chalmers $1M
Miller $6M
Anthony $1.5M
JJ's cap hit $1.5M

= $58M

You have to add in your other players cap hits BEFORE you sign the other players. The roster you just proposed (at those salaries) is not possible. If you want to sign a vet min, you have to hold that cap space.

The Raven
07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I have no idea how they are able to sign these players for relatively big contracts but, its a good move on the Heat's part to sign him

greek miami hea
07-09-2010, 10:37 AM
somehow i don't think they're gonna have a problem filling out the roster.

thats the easiest prediction ever..you dont have to be a uri geller/mentalist to know tht we will definitely not only are going to fill our bench but we wll fill it with some good veterans and some young talented players...

lets go heat!

Statik1
07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
LEbron will play point and it will be the biggest mismatch. nobody will be ale to stop this team. Lebron at point with miller in the corner? I smell a career year for mike.

Yes b/c every team that plays the heat is going allow their own PG to actually guard LeBron....

h2r09
07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Yes b/c every team that plays the heat is going allow their own PG to actually guard LeBron....

ok then you either have a pg guarding mike miller or the other teams offense wouldnt have a pg in at the msot important times of the games, either way this is a big advantage with lebron at pg.

greek miami hea
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I hate haters lol

bulldog312
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
ok then you either have a pg guarding mike miller or the other teams offense wouldnt have a pg in at the msot important times of the games, either way this is a big advantage with lebron at pg.

And you are going to have Lebron guarding a PG as well. If you watched the Bulls/Cavs series, you saw that Lebron couldn't exactly guard Rose very well, and it was exhausting for him to try and do it.

h2r09
07-09-2010, 10:57 AM
And you are going to have Lebron guarding a PG as well. If you watched the Bulls/Cavs series, you saw that Lebron couldn't exactly guard Rose very well, and it was exhausting for him to try and do it.

and now he wouldnt have to do as much on offense now either so it would even out. Nobody can guard a back court of wade and lebron driving and bosh in the post with the threat of mike miller on the outside shooting wide open 3's. this is going to end up being one of the bigger moves of the season

koreancabbage
07-09-2010, 11:00 AM
and now he wouldnt have to do as much on offense now either so it would even out. Nobody can guard a back court of wade and lebron driving and bosh in the post with the threat of mike miller on the outside shooting wide open 3's. this is going to end up being one of the bigger moves of the season

all they need are shooters and exclusive defensive big men to take up space and rebound.

bulldog312
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Well of course, those 3 players are going to be tough to guard regardless. But I think it would be more ideal to have a true PG on the team rather than let Lebron run the point.

koreancabbage
07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
its actaully gonna be a relatively easy year for WAde and Lebron, who are you gonna double team? even to the extent of Bosh- All three of them are gonna have relative easier offensive games this year.

Mike Miller is gonna get a lot of wide open looks these next 5 years- his defender is probably gonna be the guy who goes double team.

HouRealCoach
07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Thats a HORRIBLE starting lineup... They need a legit center

bulldog312
07-09-2010, 11:04 AM
its actaully gonna be a relatively easy year for WAde and Lebron, who are you gonna double team? even to the extent of Bosh- All three of them are gonna have relative easier offensive games this year.

Mike Miller is gonna get a lot of wide open looks these next 5 years- his defender is probably gonna be the guy who goes double team.

My guess is you will see a lot of zone from most teams.

justinnum1
07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
The Heat cannot sign veteran minimum players to go over the cap. They can't resign Wade to go over the cap (his salary has a cap hold unless they renounce those rights). They don't get a MLE.

Basically all of these exceptions to get around the salary cap are to give teams over the cap at the start of the offseason the flexibility to make small moves. If you start the offseason below the cap like the Heat did the salary cap is almost like a hard cap. So don't expect them to make any type of moves that put them over the cap this offseason.

:facepalm:

koreancabbage
07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
JJ Redick. Haslem, Brad Miller, Ilguaskas, Morrow, Barnes and Felton should be targeted by the Lebron and management.

Lancelot
07-09-2010, 11:06 AM

they get the 3 at max deals under the cap. they can still sign one MLE, looks like that is miller. they can still use the bi exception and minimums, and sign their picks. just like boston a few years ago, it will come together despite hate from every other eastern conference fan and laker fan.

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
07-09-2010, 11:16 AM
who's gonna play when someone gets tired? i didnt know the nba implemented the unlimited stamina mode... however, we already know that labron unlocked big head mode

Rockets4Life
07-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry but their bench is going to look horrible. Are the heat going to have Lebron, Wade, and Bosh play 40 mins + a game. When they go out, there 2nd unit is going to get raped. All championship teams have great benches to rely on. I don't see the heat having a dominant bench that can take some of the pressure off the big 3.

Kakaroach
07-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Damn so they got Miller too. Perfect role player for that team off of the bench.

Puckoff
07-09-2010, 11:29 AM
everyone that is talking about the 3 getting max contract obviously hasnt followed the story they said THEY ARE ALL TAKING LESS MONEY to make this work and allow the team to bring in other key players. They have all said it in interviews. This team will be scary and i still hate the nba because there's no fair level of competition. Theres 8 or so good teams and no one else has a chance to win a championship every yr. Theres never a big surprise in the nba playoffs.

ATX
07-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Thats a HORRIBLE starting lineup... They need a legit center

LMFAO!!!

Miami has Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh in the starting lineup and you say it's a horrible starting lineup...Oh my. :facepalm:

Mochalman
07-09-2010, 11:35 AM
bring in shaq for an "fu" to kobe and "i have one more ring!"

D-Block21-Chito
07-09-2010, 11:36 AM

Karl Malone and gary payton in their primes? no they weren't!

td0tsfinest
07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
He's going to have a key role off the bench.

Big Quett
07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry but their bench is going to look horrible. Are the heat going to have Lebron, Wade, and Bosh play 40 mins + a game. When they go out, there 2nd unit is going to get raped. All championship teams have great benches to rely on. I don't see the heat having a dominant bench that can take some of the pressure off the big 3.
Yeah except the team that has won the last 2 rings?:facepalm: The Lakers just proved you dont have to have a DOMINANT bench just a bench who know their role.

How many times do you think Bosh ,Wade and LeBron are going to be out of the game at the same time? My guess unless its a blowout not very much. While Wade is getting rest Bosh and LeBron carry the offense. When Wade comes back in you rest Bosh and LeBron and so on and so on. Its not that hard to imagine. Any 2 of them on the court makes the other 3 guys much better.

J4KOP99
07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
they get the 3 at max deals under the cap. they can still sign one MLE, looks like that is miller. they can still use the bi exception and minimums, and sign their picks. just like boston a few years ago, it will come together despite hate from every other eastern conference fan and laker fan.

The MLE is only for teams that are already OVER the cap when the off-season starts. The Heat do not have a MLE.

Grand Master B
07-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Thats one of the most ignorant statements I've seen in this place.

bulldog312
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
:facepalm:

Tell me what about my post was wrong. They can't sign players at vet min to go over the cap this offseason. They have to account for it in their cap holds.

D-Block21-Chito
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Two words James & Wade--- With one on the court at all times they will be unbeatable in a series of 7. I'm gettting scared for the next 6 years.... I really can't even see the lakers beating these guys...

Gup
07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Two words James & Wade--- With one on the court at all times they will be unbeatable in a series of 7. I'm gettting scared for the next 6 years.... I really can't even see the lakers beating these guys...

I'm getting tired of Lakers and Celts

In 2 years i'll be tired of Lakers and Heat... This is cheating at its best!

D-Block21-Chito
07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
The most important part of the game last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter.. Shaq/Brad Miller, Bosh, james, wade, mike miler. SCARYYYY! All I can say is I don't like my bulls in last 5 minutes against that lineup do you? Mike Miller is a great rebounder as well. Come on knicks sign miller to a max deal!!!! lol

RaiderLakersA's
07-09-2010, 12:48 PM
all i gotta say is this. If pat riley doesnt win a championship in 2011 with this amount of talent.... hes one of the most over rated coaches in sports history.Note phil jackson failed to win a ring with kobe bryant, karl malone, shaquile oneil, and gary payton. in their primes

Firstly, Riley isn't a head coach at this moment.

Secondly, Gary Payton and Kark Malone were not in their primes.

Further, Karl Malone got injured and GP never quite grasped the triangle.

Jenceman
07-09-2010, 12:53 PM

It is not allowed. To get that extra cap space to sign people before you sign Wade, you have to renounce Wade's bird rights, otherwise everyteam would just have a verbal agreement in place and bring in a bunch of guys for that 20 million and then use the bird rights.

Pinrod33
07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Yea, I'm sure it wouldn't be allowed to wait until everyone is signed before signing Wade, but remember that the team would have to pay a dollar for dollar tax for every dollar they are over the cap. Not many owners want to be paying out of pocket when they can have a competitive team under the cap, you know? And how many would be willing to pay $16.8 million in taxes when they don't really have to?

Crzycjunx76
07-09-2010, 01:16 PM

MLE I would expect.

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
The Heat do not have the MLE.

You can only get the MLE if you are over the cap in the beginning of the off season.

bulldog312
07-09-2010, 08:41 PM
The Heat do not have the MLE.

You can only get the MLE if you are over the cap in the beginning of the off season.

For some reason only about 10% of the people posting these past few days get this.

_KB24_
07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Yet another big contract for a wing man. They have absolutely 0 presence in the post. The Lakers and even Dwight are going to eat this team alive down low.

97NYer
07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Sixth man?

Bruno
07-09-2010, 08:55 PM
If Bosh plays Center they're going to get dominated in the paint by big teams. They need a Perkins type big.

bringinwood
07-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Yet another big contract for a wing man. They have absolutely 0 presence in the post. The Lakers and even Dwight are going to eat this team alive down low.

I have a feeling that the game will be taken out of Dwight's hands...

If LeBron can compete with Dwight while he was on Cleveland, I can only assume he is going to do much better with the current players he is playing with...

As for the Lakers eating them alive down low, please take that garbage back to fairy land...

I'll take Bosh down low against anyone the Lakers have on their roster...

I have to make the disclaimer of being a 76er fan :p

unleashthebeast
07-09-2010, 08:57 PM

lol ur scared admit it:cool:

bringinwood
07-09-2010, 08:58 PM
lol ur scared admit it:cool:

If the 76ers were competitive, i'd be scared...

I already know they are gonna get man****ed by every team in the league... lmao

Ty Fast
07-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Who's next????

marcus camby

Purple&Gold24
07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Good. The three peat will be even sweeter :)

camador22
07-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Everything is falling into place fast.

PG-Lebron 15.5M
SG-Wade 15.5M
SF-Miller-6M
PF-Bosh-15.5M
C-Pittman- 700K

PG-Chalmers- 847K
Jones contract 1.6M

Still space left

knickfan4life
07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
this contract is impossible with the salary cap rules... unless those 3 did not take max contracts, which i HIGHLY doubt b/c than they would not have moved beasley

Truheatfan
07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I hate haters lol

i love haters!!! :moon: