PDA

View Full Version : Was A One-Hour Special Necessary for This Announcement?

yanks 4lif3
07-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Simple question. I really want to know if anyone believes it was necessary. If so, why?

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 02:56 AM
Of course it was not.

But we all watched, didn't we? So, he wins.

Wrench
07-09-2010, 02:59 AM
He raised 2.5 Million dollars for the Boy's and Girl's clubs of America, in 1 hour. Is anyone talking about that? Nope.

tdunk21
07-09-2010, 03:00 AM
unnecessary....

Allstar21
07-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Necessary!

I watched. You watched. The bar i went to was packed with people watching.

Lebron wins and you are a troll hater

Remember guys, basketball is entertainment. ENTERTAINMENT. Does anyone think that basketball is anything other than a sport? Cmon....he entertained a lot of people with this special and made a HUGE amount of money for a quality charity.

marlinsfan24
07-09-2010, 03:11 AM
It wasn't necessary. But it wasn't necessary for you to watch, but you did.

dimedrpr
07-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Not at all. He could have raised money for the Boys and Girls clubs a million different ways. This was the brainchild of Jim Gray's dumb ***. I swear if I see that man in the street I will punch him in the face. Jim Gray and Spencer Pratt are just getting decked if I ever see them.

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:13 AM
Not at all. He could have raised money for the Boys and Girls clubs a million different ways. This was the brainchild of Jim Gray's dumb ***. I swear if I see that man in the street I will punch him in the face. Jim Gray and Spencer Pratt are just getting decked if I ever see them.
LOL.

He raised money for the Boys and Girls club, and that's not good enough. I dislike LeBron too, but people are sooo jealous and pathetic, cynical and sad. Nothing is good enough. He has a 1 hour special - If that annoys you, fine; But we all know EVERYONE watched it. Proceeds went to charity, and people are complaining because he could have done it another way? Well, of course he could have raised money a different way...Couldn't I just always say that ANY time anyone EVER raises money in life? "Could have done it this way instead!"

My god, the cynicism is sooo sad. I'm a Celtics fan and I'm defending James because it seems like I'm the only one that isn't crying.

Melo15
07-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Everyone keeps talking about how he raised 2.5 mil for the boys and girls club but Brian Windhorst reported earlier that they raised 6 million in ad revenues so it wasn't all for charity. This was completely unnecessary and cheapshot at his hometown and to Cavs fans everywhere. Who does he think he is having a one hour special about where he's going to sign?!?!?!?!?!? Nobody does that, especially if they are announcing they are going to be the second fiddle to someone.

Draco
07-09-2010, 03:20 AM
LOL.

He raised money for the Boys and Girls club, and that's not good enough. I dislike LeBron too, but people are sooo jealous and pathetic, cynical and sad. Nothing is good enough. He has a 1 hour special - If that annoys you, fine; But we all know EVERYONE watched it. Proceeds went to charity, and people are complaining because he could have done it another way? Well, of course he could have raised money a different way...Couldn't I just always say that ANY time anyone EVER raises money in life? "Could have done it this way instead!"

My god, the cynicism is sooo sad. I'm a Celtics fan and I'm defending James because it seems like I'm the only one that isn't crying.

Not the occassion for a charity fund raiser.. :rolleyes:

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Not the occassion for a charity fund raiser.. :rolleyes:
He turned his media frenzy into money for charity. That's pretty commendable. Anyone that has a problem with that is sad themselves. Obviously LeBron wanted to do this for himself and to get more hype, but he put a positive spin out of it that I can respect.

Allstar21
07-09-2010, 03:25 AM
LOL.

I agree with you so much! I was at a small bar that really only has people during major sporting events there. And there were a ton of people there watching to see where he would go....i live in freaking connecticut

People just have such sour grapes because they didn't get Lebron. If anyone should be blamed it should be ESPN for the nonstop Lebron hype that they have done for the last month.....err i mean the last TWO YEARS

Draco
07-09-2010, 03:28 AM
He turned his media frenzy into money for charity. That's pretty commendable. Anyone that has a problem with that is sad themselves. Obviously LeBron wanted to do this for himself and to get more hype, but he put a positive spin out of it that I can respect.

Or he could have done what just about anyone who doesn't watch wrestling would have done and held a charity fund raiser on a separate occassion.

AsfanSince99
07-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Was it necessary? NO, but we all wanted to see it, and he turned it into a charity event, so it was a win-win.

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:30 AM
Or he could have done what just about anyone who doesn't watch wrestling would have done and held a charity fund raiser on a separate occassion.
He could of. And he's obviously raised money before and will do it again after.

Regardless. He turned his platform to present himself into a positive; Could have been a huge douche and done nothing and just made it 110% about him, but he made sure a positive came out of this. Why anyone would have a problem with that only tells me that they're just mad at or hate LeBron.

He wanted to do this for himself and get all the media attention. That's annoying, but whatever. But he raised money for a charity, and people are going to complain? Man, fans are so pathetic when it comes to LeBron, no doubt.

Draco
07-09-2010, 03:32 AM
He could of. And he's obviously raised money before and will do it again after.

Regardless. He turned his platform to present himself into a positive; Could have been a huge douche and done nothing and just made it 110% about him, but he made sure a positive came out of this. Why anyone would have a problem with that only tells me that they're just mad at or hate LeBron.

He wanted to do this for himself and get all the media attention. That's annoying, but whatever. But he raised money for a charity, and people are going to complain? Man, fans are so pathetic when it comes to LeBron, no doubt.

He's still a douche who made it 100% about himself

tc2deuce
07-09-2010, 03:36 AM
no...but on the other hand we watch top recruits pick a hat to decide where they are playing college ball....so......it is the american way........if you got power like that..........................use it!

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:38 AM
He's still a douche who made it 100% about himself
Right, except money went to a charity. But, anyone that blindly hates LeBron and acts like a child will ignore that fact. No big deal; 95% of the people on this message board are crying too.

I dislike LeBron nor do I think the announcement was necessary. But it gave money to a charity, and we ALL watched it whether we thought it was necessary or not. So, why complain?

yanks 4lif3
07-09-2010, 03:40 AM
the question is about his announcement to go to the Miami Heat, not to raise money for the Boys and Girls club. Is it great that he raised money? Absolutely

But I phrased the question in terms of his basketball decision. Lets keep this in mind.

Jeff559
07-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Kind of a stupid question. of course it isn't necessary. Unfair question. Was getting sour cream on my burrito necessary? no. was washing my hair tonight necessary? no.
A more fair question would be was it excessive? is Lebron a diva for doing it this way? or something along those lines.

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:41 AM
the question is about his announcement to go to the Miami Heat, not to raise money for the Boys and Girls club. Is it great that he raised money? Absolutely

But I phrased the question in terms of his basketball decision. Lets keep this in mind.
And as I have said and most agreed, it was not at all necessary. But a positive came out of it, so, it makes it less annoying, no doubt.

Allstar21
07-09-2010, 03:43 AM
Kind of a stupid question. of course it isn't necessary. Unfair question. Was getting sour cream on my burrito necessary? no. was washing my hair tonight necessary? no.
A more fair question would be was it excessive? is Lebron a diva for doing it this way? or something along those lines.

i want a burrito with some sour cream now :(

shep33
07-09-2010, 03:44 AM
He didn't need to do it... I guarantee he coulda raised just as much money any time he wanted to.

If he goes to the New York, and tells Jay Z and Prokarov to give him money for a any charity he wants he could do it... lets be serious. Don't get me wrong, the raised money is great for the boys and girls club, but you guys are telling me Lebron needed to do this to gain 2.5 mill for a charity?? Absolutely not. Your talking about one of the biggest stars in the world, he can raise that money any time, any where.

Lakerfan8032
No, definitely not. Raising the money for the charity was nice but I think he did it to try to pull attention away from his ego-trip show. He didn't need to spit on his former team during a special show. He should have done it like every other person has done it. I didn't see the special so I don't know what he said but I'm sure it was unnecessary.

All I know is Cleveland is crushed and Dan Gilbert has no class. If he left because of the owner or partly because of him that would make sense now.

Draco
Right, except money went to a charity. But, anyone that blindly hates LeBron and acts like a child will ignore that fact. No big deal; 95% of the people on this message board are crying too.

I dislike LeBron nor do I think the announcement was necessary. But it gave money to a charity, and we ALL watched it whether we thought it was necessary or not. So, why complain?

we're going in circles here.. and you obviously don't understand that a charity event could be done some other time.

robdizzle3
07-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Man ******* the Boys and Girls Club. They kicked me out when i was 12 lol. Naw, it wasnt necassary at all. Nobody else had a PC, but of course he had to. The positive is the money though.

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:48 AM
we're going in circles here.. and you obviously don't understand that a charity event could be done some other time.
And you do not understand that just because it could have happened yesterday or tomorrow does not mean it's a bad thing that it happened today. He put a positive spin on his silly media hype; To turn that any other way other than "Well, at least that's cool" is pointless. There's no argument for it. Saying he could do charity work tomorrow doesn't hold any water. Of course he could. That doesn't stop the fact that he was doing his silly media thing and made it a charity event - Made it positive.

Allstar21
07-09-2010, 03:49 AM

and it still can be done some other time....and will be done some other time

this was a one time event that will not be repeated anytime soon...please stop this idiotic and illogical point of view that a charity event could be done some other time

To get this much attention for a charity is not exactly easy to do. Lebron had an opportunity and a stage given the circumstances and the hype to deliver a message about the Boys and Girls club to millions of people.

Please inform me of a charity event that would reach as many people as Lebron did tonight!
Then please inform me as to why he should pass on an incredible opportunity to raise millions of dollars and to raise immense awareness. Because you think he is a diva or attention hog? Get a grip man.

Raiderpepe
07-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Who an I to judge but next time I am up for a promotion I will do an online telecast...Common who are you kidding this guy took it to the bank and loved every minute of it. He derailed from answering about the lakers because he knows he can't beat them on his own. We watched like dumbiies and we will probably watch some more! David Stern is trying to market the NBA like the NFL so get your popcorn ready!!

JNA17
Heat Fans: YES!
Others: WASTE OF TIME!

does that answer your question?

Draco
And you do not understand that just because it could have happened yesterday or tomorrow does not mean it's a bad thing that it happened today. He put a positive spin on his silly media hype; To turn that any other way other than "Well, at least that's cool" is pointless. There's no argument for it. Saying he could do charity work tomorrow doesn't hold any water. Of course he could. That doesn't stop the fact that he was doing his silly media thing and made it a charity event - Made it positive.

You've been watching too much fake tv.

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:53 AM
You've been watching too much fake tv.
Second comment on wrestling; No, that definitely proves your irrelevant point. That must be it.

Having to go the low road = your point is moot.

Draco
07-09-2010, 03:54 AM
Second comment on wrestling; No, that definitely proves your irrelevant point. That must be it.

Having to go the low road = your point is moot.

I'm tired of discussing this with someone who doesn't get it. If pointing that out is the low road, so be it.

The Raven
Of course it wasn't necessary but, it was for a good cause so i didnt see an issue with it other then the fact that it totally slapped the cavs fans in the face.

SANDBURG23
I cant wait for the anniversary special

Jenceman
07-09-2010, 03:55 AM

I think I agree with this.

The special was totally unnecessary and Lebron is overly egotistical, but in the end it did raise money for Charity, regardless of the intentions. We all know that Lebron did this completely for himself, but it still raised a significant amount of money for charity. Intention don't matter, actions do.

Draco
07-09-2010, 03:56 AM

The special was totally unnecessary and Lebron is overly egotistical, but in the end it did raise money for Charity, regardless of the intentions. We all know that Lebron did this completely for himself, but it still raised a significant amount of money for charity. Intention don't matter, actions do.

do you watch wrestling too?:p

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:57 AM

Exactly. LeBron is a baby and an ego maniacal person (so it seems), but there is a bright side to it.

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 03:58 AM
do you watch wrestling too?:p
Nice. Glad you can create good points.

Draco
07-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Nice. Glad you can create good points.

I did.. you missed it.

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 04:01 AM
I did.. you missed it.
Yes, the one about last night not being the time to give money to charities? That one? No, that one makes sense. Because in a situation like LeBron was in, that was certainly a "bad" time for charity to gain millions. Damn him!

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Yes, the one about last night not being the time to give money to charities? That one? No, that one makes sense. Because in a situation like LeBron was in, that was certainly a "bad" time for charity to gain millions. Damn him!

It was self promotion at its finest. If he was so worried about the boys and girls club, he could have easily donated his own money and not gave Cleveland a one hour golden shower in front of the entire nation.

Allstar21
07-09-2010, 04:04 AM
I'm tired of discussing this with someone who doesn't get it. If pointing that out is the low road, so be it.

Don't ignore my questions.

Please inform me of a charity event that would reach as many people as Lebron did tonight!
Then please inform me as to why he should pass on an incredible opportunity to raise millions of dollars and to raise immense awareness for a charity.

Tragedy
07-09-2010, 04:05 AM
It was self promotion at its finest. If he was so worried about the boys and girls club, he could have easily donated his own money and not gave Cleveland a one hour golden shower in front of the entire nation.
I've not once denied that it was self promotion. Of course it was. He's a diva and wanted to be front and center. He missed out on this type of fan fare back when he could have gone to college, so he was having fun with it now. I don't like it, and I think it was silly.

That doesn't change the fact that a positive WAS put on it. Of course he could have donated tomorrow or two days ago, and he probably did and he probably will. Regardless, money went to a charity, that a plus. There is no negative to that. The positive was charity getting millions, the negative was LeBron feeding his ego. Who cares?

Penetra8r
07-09-2010, 04:13 AM
In the end, its a sad day for Cleveland fans and the Cleveland economy

Allstar21
07-09-2010, 04:14 AM
In the end, its a sad day for Cleveland fans and the Cleveland economy

kinda like every day there :facepalm:

============================================
edit (by denbutsu) - closed because it's over.