PDA

View Full Version : Does Lebron Signing negatively impact the Panthers?

letsgorangers27
07-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I apologize in advance for getting basketball in your hockey.

Tonight LeBron James will announce to the world in his own charitable broadcast (it's easy to be charitable when it's ESPN's money to spend) which NBA team will be him employer for the next 6 years. Last week, he met with representatives of Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Miami, Cleveland, and New Jersey. Save the hometown Cavs, all 5 suitors would put LeBron in a town that supports an NHL franchise. In an era where the almighty sports entertainment dollar can only go so far, these five cities would have to endure LBJ as a new hometown attraction. Fortunately, the Blackhawks, Rangers, Devils, and Kings are in good shape and can affect the blow.

Wait a minute, that was only four teams. (rechecks list) Crap, who did I miss? Miami?

Uh oh.

LeBron James is going to singlehandedly move the Florida Panthers to Hamilton, Ontario.

Nevermind that the re-signing of Wade and the addition of Bosh instantly make the Miami Heat the most exciting ticket in town. Nevermind that the Miami Dolphins have added Brandon Marshall and will likely compete for a playoff spot. Nevermind that the Miami Hurricanes are once again becoming relevant in the ACC. And yes, nevermind that the Florida Marlins have the best pitcher in the National League (sorry, Ubaldo.)

The Florida Panthers are seriously ****ed.

I have always felt for the teams of the Southeast Division. They were created out of thin air by Gary Bettman, forced to play Ovechkin six times a year, and are in the crosshairs of any lazy NHL columnist who wants to play the contraction card. Anytime they can eek out the 8th spot in the East, it's been a successful season. And thanks to the Lightning, there's always hope. Get some #1 draft picks, find the right coach, and you too can be smacking around Calgary in a Cup Final. The Thrashers never got a chance to do it with Kovy and Heatley, and they've moved on. As for the Panthers, they've never even had a shot.

(That includes when Mike Milbury gifted Luongo to them.)

It's been 9 straight years since the Panthers have made the playoffs. The Rat-infested run against Colorado is nearly 15 years in the rearview. In 2009-2010, the Panthers struggled to fill their house in Sunrise; ranking 25th in the league with a less than 80% fill rate. They've got a full team signed at this point with 10 million of cap room to spare. They aren't going the cheapskate route; they want to compete.

And they sure as hell don't want LeBron in South Florida.

If James ends up playing alongside Bosh and Wade, Miami becomes a basketball town. FOREVER. The Panthers play out their days at BankAtlantic Center to 60% capacity crowds, Stephen Weiss won't ever reach his potential, and if one of the three first rounders they get this year does, he'll be traded at the end of his entry contract for more Cory Stillmans. Jim Balsillie WILL come a-knockin.' And he'll have a boarding pass for Canada in hand.

Wait a minute.
http://meltyourfaceoff.net/2010-articles/july/staal-to-lebron-get-thee-to-cleveland.html

thought it was a interesting take on it. how do you guys feel?

boilerguy2412
07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
No, it has no impact at all. Maybe it will help, if i'm not mistaken he said he likes hcokey so maybe he will got to a couple games

jrguerrero99
07-11-2010, 11:35 AM
yeah i think it has little to no impact and the little impact would be positive. maybe lebron will take some of the money and buy part of the panthers. lol, i can dream right.

FinsHeatPanthrs
07-13-2010, 12:01 AM
No impact, just improves the sports image in South Florida. Heat on the rise, Dolphins on the rise, Marlins are young and improving drastically, and now the Panthers are officially rebuilding for the future. If the sports scene gets better around here, then big stars will be more attracted, maybe even for hockey (?). I feel like the future of So Fla sports is bright.

statquo
07-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Legit question. I think it depends on the performance of the team. But for a rebuilding hockey team in Florida, I think you'll see some bantam league attendances. I'm pulling for the Panthers though. Panthers in 7 over Caps in the first round next year:D.

utl768
07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
it will have a posiitve impact because when i searched lebron on this forum this thread came up and reminded me that there is a nhl team in south florida

i coulda swore they relocated years ago so now that i know there still around maybe ill go to a game or 2 this yr

statquo
07-22-2010, 03:51 AM
it will have a posiitve impact because when i searched lebron on this forum this thread came up and reminded me that there is a nhl team in south florida

i coulda swore they relocated years ago so now that i know there still around maybe ill go to a game or 2 this yr

A game or two? Aren't tickets like 15 bucks? :rolleyes:

jrguerrero99
07-24-2010, 12:12 AM
i would be there if i still lived in florida for 15 bucks a game! it seems the only ways it would affect the panthers is when there is a heat game on people wont wanna be at the hockry game, they would wanna be at the heat game or watching on tv at least.

WadeBirdman
08-06-2010, 05:27 AM
I think lebron signing helps the panthers...and the entire south florida sports scene

mvb815
08-11-2010, 05:48 AM
first of all i think the panthers are negatively impacting themselves by not making the playoffs, but i agree i think it will just bring more of a sports rush to florida which might even boost the panthers a little bit.

the arenas are about an hour, 1.5 with traffic apart though. i think the people closer to sunrise will still settle for that, especially with heat ticket prices sky rocketing