PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a tampering investigation?

Bornknick73
07-08-2010, 06:47 PM
If the NBA or Cleveland really wanted to follow up on tampering charges do you think the media can dig up proof? If he signs with Miami it stinks of collusion. There are several reports of the 3 of them planning this.

Will Dan Gilbert want a investigation? And if so can anyone prove it?

koreancabbage
07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
they probably have talked about it since they all signed the same contract 4 years ago.

they are friends and probably have talked about "what if" situations.

marlinsfan24
07-08-2010, 06:51 PM
They cannot prove anything. Those 3 are close friends and Kobe has probably even talked to them about this stuff during the olympics and ****.

dbroncos78087
07-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I am curious, but if the three of them had signed with another team (read: Knicks) would there be fear of collusion or would it just be three guys wanting to do what they could to win?

You say "several" reports but neglected to post even one. I find that highly suspicious.

Dmac
07-08-2010, 06:57 PM
That's not what collusion is. It is when owners get together and decide to not offer x amount for free agents. It's not even close to the same thing. It's not tampering for one player to talk to another, it only applies to teams talking about a player that is under contract to another team.

Now if there was proof that the Heat talked to Bosh and James before free agency started and plotted this ahead of time, then that would be tampering.

Bornknick73
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I am curious, but if the three of them had signed with another team (read: Knicks) would there be fear of collusion or would it just be three guys wanting to do what they could to win?

You say "several" reports but neglected to post even one. I find that highly suspicious.

Dont attack me. Im just asking. Everyone has heard they have been talking about it for years, no need for a link. And I dont mind the Supremes with no bench no D and no shooters. Now the Supremes with another 10-15 million is another story.

boolish
07-08-2010, 07:02 PM
No because Bron will tell David he doesn't want one...

eibbor
07-08-2010, 07:03 PM
If the NBA or Cleveland really wanted to follow up on tampering charges do you think the media can dig up proof? If he signs with Miami it stinks of collusion. There are several reports of the 3 of them planning this.

Players can talk about whatever they want and nothing will ever stop that.

dbroncos78087
07-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Dont attack me. Im just asking. Everyone has heard they have been talking about it for years, no need for a link. And I dont mind the Supremes with no bench no D and no shooters. Now the Supremes with another 10-15 million is another story.

I am not attacking you in the slightest, i am merely pointing out that a Knick fan might be more willing to believe in "collusion" when it isnt there than say a Heat fan were in this sitaution and that it should be looked at unbiased. There is no collusion here and this is absolutely a non-issue.

nanablvd
07-08-2010, 07:05 PM
David Stern has said in one occasion that it's hard to prove tampering or collusion of players even though the rules are set in place.

eibbor
07-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I am not attacking you in the slightest, i am merely pointing out that a Knick fan might be more willing to believe in "collusion" when it isnt there than say a Heat fan were in this sitaution and that it should be looked at unbiased. There is no collusion here and this is absolutely a non-issue.

Exactly

ldc62
07-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm not 100% sure if its called tampering if you're a player, but its not tampering if you haven't signed with the team yet. Also very hard to prove because they are friends and are allowed to talk to each other.

mikantsass
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Not as long as Stern is heading up operations

PatsSoxKnicks
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Yeah, I agree. Although, I think they were planning this but its in their right too. There's no law against players talking to each other.

GrumpyOldMan
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't call it tampering, but if all 3 go to Miami and 2 of them take below market value contracts then the Player's Association may be a bit upset. These are players whose value other players will be meassured against.

arkanian215
07-08-2010, 07:10 PM

This is pretty much what I asked before about Amar'e trying to recruit Parker and Carmelo Anthony while they are still under contract.

IDB Josh M
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I agree that the whole situation stinks of collusion, however its tantamount to trade talks between teams who trade players.

eibbor
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm not 100% sure if its called tampering if you're a player, but its not tampering if you haven't signed with the team yet. Also very hard to prove because they are friends and are allowed to talk to each other.

Exactly. Make a rule all u want. Grown men can talk to each other. They can play where they want. People are soooo worried about this. lol

BIGBLUEWEGOHARD
07-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Owners collude, organizations tamper, players can do whatever they want. It's legit whether people like it or not. Let it go guys.

bholly
07-08-2010, 07:17 PM
This is pretty much what I asked before about Amar'e trying to recruit Parker and Carmelo Anthony while they are still under contract.

This. I hate the Miami thing, but I don't think it's broken any rules. But Amar'e talking about TP and Melo while they're still under contract (and trying to use that to recruit LBJ) is pretty much the definition of tampering. I will be very surprised if there's no action taken on this at some point - at the very least complaints filed by Denver and San Antonio, regardless of whether they result in any punishment.

Draco
07-08-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm not sure if it qualifies as collusion in a legal sense but if it doesn't it's very close. The 'third party' might be the team the Heat would trade with to create extra salary space. If it wasn't a foregone conclusion that Bosh and Lebron land in Miami then it's easier to make that deal. The 'third party' might also be Toronto who Bosh is negotiating with to get a 6 year max contract. Again, if not a foregone conclusion, it's easier to make that deal.

As an aside, there's also Bosh and Wade's contrived documentaries.. which might not have much to do with collusion but everything to do with deceiving the public.

collusion n. where two persons (or business entities through their officers or other employees) enter into a deceitful agreement, usually secret, to defraud and/or gain an unfair advantage over a third party, competitors, consumers or those with whom they are negotiating. Collusion can include secret price or wage fixing, secret rebates, or pretending to be independent of each other when actually conspiring together for their joint ends. It can range from small-town shopkeepers or heirs to a grandma's estate, to gigantic electronics companies or big league baseball team owners.
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/collusion

Had Smith said, "I learned tonight that Miami is the prohibitive favorite to get all three; someone would have to go back on their word for this not to happen," then it played out the way it had, he would have been the Nostradamu-SAS of this thing. But he tried to get engaged without the ring. Still, he gets a partial credit for sniffing it out. Nobody else had the Miami scenario. And if Smith DID have accurate intelligence and it WAS done, then that means the guys panicked and concocted every event these past eight days -- every waffle, every leak, every extra meeting -- just to throw us off the scent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708

Did they willfully snooker the general public? Four red flags indicate they may have (assuming LeBron signs with Miami, of course).

ink
07-08-2010, 07:19 PM

I would like to see a tampering investigation. It's not even a conspiracy theory. This has been pretty blatant. The two Heat players trying to draw in Lebron have the same agent - Henry Thomas.

dtmagnet
07-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I would like to see a tampering investigation. It's not even a conspiracy theory. This has been pretty blatant. The two Heat players trying to draw in Lebron have the same agent - Henry Thomas.

What would they even do if they concluded that it was tampering, fine them money? That won't do anything.

ink
07-08-2010, 08:47 PM
What would they even do if they concluded that it was tampering, fine them money? That won't do anything.

Teams that have tampered in the past have lost draft picks and $$$$. It could be a big deal. Not saying that I expect anything to happen, just answering your question.