PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks agree on deal with Haywood

SA5195
07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
The Mavericks have agreed to terms on a six-year, $55 year million deal to re-sign center Brendan Haywood, a source told Yahoo! Sports.

http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo

Article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-haywoodmavericks070810

Gibby23
07-08-2010, 01:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-haywoodmavericks070810

The Dallas Mavericks have reached agreement on a six-year, $55 million contract to re-sign center Brendan Haywood(notes), a league source told Yahoo! Sports.

xbrackattackx
07-08-2010, 01:20 PM

That's not a bad deal I expected him to make 6 year 60 million at 10 a year. So Mav's made a great deal.

Gibby23
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Atleast it keeps him away from Miami.

Tennessee Mav
07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Haywood signs for 6 years $55 million. Good for the Mavs. We got our starting Center!

SA5195
07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I already made a thread on it.

Swashcuff
07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
as expected he got more than he deserved.

bignate14
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Wow he was overpaid big time.. Mavs fans act like he is a top 5 center , but they did not see him as a Wizard.. Eric Dampier all over again!

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
:laugh2:

Nearly $10 Million per year for Brendan Haywood? That is ridiculous.

The Raven
07-08-2010, 01:45 PM
what the hell is wrong with the mavs for paying someone like Brendan Haywood 10 mil a season

Jays Claw
07-08-2010, 01:46 PM
He got paid like no tomorrow. :facepalm:

However, he's a solid player who will continue to help the Mavericks with their defensive woes.

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 01:47 PM
what the hell is wrong with the mavs for paying someone like Brendan Haywood 10 mil a season

This is the same team that paid Erick Dampier 10 mil a season.

Why did Dallas pay so much? Did they truly believe Haywood was going to make that much on the open market? Haywood's agent deserves a trophy.

xabial
07-08-2010, 01:47 PM
He is the type of player every team needs. A talented shot blocking rebounding 7 footer who plays defense. He has the talent to succeed in the NBA, but a 6 year $55M contract to someone who has never averaged more than 10.8 points in the NBA worries me. This contract could just as easily spoil him. Its a high risk High reward move.

xbrackattackx
07-08-2010, 01:49 PM
:laugh2:

Nearly $10 Million per year for Brendan Haywood? That is ridiculous.

Yea it is, But it's what I figure he would rope in. ESP with the whole "Lockout" next season. And the Center talent being short sided.

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Yea it is, But it's what I figure he would rope in. ESP with the whole "Lockout" next season. And the Center talent being short sided.

Who else would've paid Haywood that much?

xabial
07-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Who else would've paid Haywood that much?

L.A. Clippers
N.J. Nets

On the top of my head.

RaiderLakersA's
07-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I had a feeling that he would have had more offers, if he'd only waited a day or two longer. Once all of the top free agents are settled, teams are really going to go hard at the second and third tier role players.

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 01:57 PM
L.A. Clippers
N.J. Nets

On the top of my head.

Why would either team overpay Haywood?

They're too busy overpaying Adam Morrison.

Kakaroach
07-08-2010, 02:01 PM
He got paid, I understand centers are at a premium though but if they actually give him a chance at starting all the time its a good deal. Haywood proved he was a very good center last season and you'll have a tough job finding better than him.

Shahrose
07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider

"Crazy $$$ RT @NBAonESPN Tim MacMahon reports that Brendan Haywood & Mavs agree to 6-yr, $55M deal, per sources: http://es.pn/b44nwe"

bomber0104
07-08-2010, 02:09 PM
wow.. that is a lot of money for Haywood

IversonIsKrazy
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Overpaid. I thought he would be only $6m a year, they overpaid just Portland did for Camby. But Haywood is solid, atleast Miami still doesn't have a Center still, but I wanted to see Haywood in a Spur uniform, he would've played well for them.

fadedmario
07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I love Ben Gordon's contract after reading this. No way the Mavs paid that much for a 30 year old average center.

fadedmario
07-08-2010, 02:18 PM
6 years for 55 million for Brendan Haywood is hands down the worst contract in the league. I like Mark Cuban, what is he thinking?

Russell_Roberts
07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Center Brendan Haywood agreed to a six-year, $55 million deal to return to the Dallas Mavericks, according to two sources.

The Mavs acquired Haywood in a seven-player deal with the Washington Wizards before last season's trade deadline and immediately declared that they hoped he would be a long-term fit. Haywood averaged 8.1 points, 7.4 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in 28 games for the Mavericks, sharing the starting job with Erick Dampier.

Coach Rick Carlisle visited Haywood's Charlotte, N.C., home at the beginning of free agency and assured Haywood that he would be Dallas' starting center if he re-signed. The Mavs are aggressively shopping Dampier, who has a non-guaranteed $13 million salary for next season, in the trade market.

The 30-year-old Haywood also visited with the Heat, but the Heat would not have salary cap space to sign him if LeBron James joins Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami as expected.

"The ball really got rolling late last night, like around midnight," said agent Andy Miller, who credited Carlisle as the driving force in Haywood's return to Dallas.

"There are about six other teams that we have had dialogue with. Dallas emerged as a leader from the gate and continued to surge."

The Mavs also pursued center Jermaine O'Neal, who is expected to sign with the Boston Celtics.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that O'Neal initially had Dallas as his top choice but changed his mind when the Mavericks would not give him assurances that he would be the starter next season.

Despite O'Neal's longstanding relationship with Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, dating to their days together in Indianapolis, Dallas was obviously intent on re-signing Haywood and could not make that promise to O'Neal.

Haywood played a key role during the Dallas' 13-game winning streak soon after the trade, providing a much-needed interior defensive presence for the Mavs. However, he was inconsistent the rest of the season, when Dampier started the majority of the games.

There was speculation -- fueled by Haywood's "I just work here" comments when asked about coming off the bench -- that the big man had a strained relationship with Carlisle. But Haywood stated strongly that he had no issues with Carlisle, whom the big man said consistently communicated with him about the starting job.

"I never had a problem with it," Haywood said. "I understood where he was coming from."

Korman12
07-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Ugh. With this, and Outlaw's new deal.

I absolutely hate the pay rate players are getting. It's accelerating way, way too fast for a league in financial struggles.

xabial
07-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Why would either team overpay Haywood?

They're too busy overpaying Adam Morrison.

lol :laugh2:

PLAYERS FAN
07-08-2010, 02:34 PM

$55 year million deal to re-sign center Brendan Haywood:confused:

Swashcuff
07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow he was overpaid big time.. Mavs fans act like he is a top 5 center , but they did not see him as a Wizard.. Eric Dampier all over again!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Great Post Bro!

Swashcuff
07-08-2010, 03:13 PM
L.A. Clippers
N.J. Nets

On the top of my head.

???????????????/

You are being sarcastic right???

bleedprple&gold
07-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Dallas must be very content with vastly overpaying their centers...

Raoul Duke
07-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Well, he'll be 36 when his contract is up and he's only averaged double digits in scoring and rebounding in single, seperate seasons (and that's me being generous and counting his time in Dallas last season as an entire season, which it wasn't).

Still, it's not as extravagant a contract as I thought he'd get, and he's 7 feet tall and averages 2 blocks a game, sooo.... yeah.

OT Thriller
07-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Might as well have signed Shaq if they were gonna toss this kind of money. Common Cuban.

xabial
07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
???????????????/

You are being sarcastic right???

Carlos Boozer to Chi
Wade to Heat
Bosh to Heat
Amare to Knicks
Lebron to Heat/Knicks/Bulls (Nets unlikely,Clippers unlikely)

When all the Type A Free Agents sign, Clippers have to use their cap space on someone. They still have room for one max, i could've seen them overpaying for Haywood as their Center. Maybe Not NJ because they have Lopez and they inked travis outlaw to a 5 year 35m deal.

Big Quett
07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
That was my 1st thought. They didnt learn anything from the Erica Dampier thing? Giving a 30 year old average center 55 mil again? And why give him 6 years?

Big Quett
07-08-2010, 04:47 PM
L.A. Clippers
N.J. Nets

On the top of my head.

That is stupid. They both already have better and younger Centers than Haywood.

Big Quett
07-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, he'll be 36 when his contract is up and he's only averaged double digits in scoring and rebounding in single, seperate seasons (and that's me being generous and counting his time in Dallas last season as an entire season, which it wasn't).

Still, it's not as extravagant a contract as I thought he'd get, and he's 7 feet tall and averages 2 blocks a game, sooo.... yeah.

He has averaged 2 blocks a game once in his career and surprise surprise it was in a contract year which was this past year. Unless you count the 2.5 blocks he averaged in 08-09 when he played 6 damn games.

Eric Dampier has better career stats then he does and that should tell you a lot

Young2Kinsler
07-08-2010, 05:03 PM
People are way overreacting. Yes he got overpaid, like EVERY single player in the league. I don't love the contract, but tell me what other options are out there a C? When Haywood started for Dallas last season, he was a 12/10/2 kinda guy.

Plenty of other teams were in on Haywood, Dallas just offered him more money to make sure he stayed. They literally have NO ONE else at C.

Swashcuff
07-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Carlos Boozer to Chi
Wade to Heat
Bosh to Heat
Amare to Knicks
Lebron to Heat/Knicks/Bulls (Nets unlikely,Clippers unlikely)

When all the Type A Free Agents sign, Clippers have to use their cap space on someone. They still have room for one max, i could've seen them overpaying for Haywood as their Center. Maybe Not NJ because they have Lopez and they inked travis outlaw to a 5 year 35m deal.

i though you were being sarcastic

next time don't say it off the top of your head.... you really ain't soundin too smart right now.

ldc62
07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Why are people liking this? Hes getting about 9 a year which is a lot.

Young2Kinsler
07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Why are people liking this? Hes getting about 9 a year which is a lot.

Did you expect the best C on the FA market to sign for the MLE or something?

Raoul Duke
07-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Look, I never said it was a great contract, it's just that I'm not at all surprised. When you compare his contract to the other ones given out (Gooden, Amir Johnson, Outlaw, just to name a few) it makes sense.

Kakaroach
07-08-2010, 05:52 PM
The key here is that Haywood is by far the best center in this free agent class and with the way free agents have been horrendously over-paid, I think Dallas actually got a decent deal. Sure, its longer than it could have been, but there aren't better options out there for a team looking to win now.

JasonJohnHorn
07-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Shawn Bradly: 8 million
Raef LaFrentz: 7 million
Juan Howard; 18 and 20 million
Danny Fortson: 5 million
Eric Dampier: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 million?!?!?!?!
Allen Henderson: 8 million
And now a six year 55 million dollar deal for Brendon Haywood? They guy has only averaged double digits in points once, and has NEVER averaged double digit rebounds for an entire season. Now I know low post defence is important, and the guy is a big body that can get a couple blocks a game, but seriously!

Cuban let guys like Nash and Finley go because of money and then pays big bucks for these guys?

They guy even paid nearly a combined 25 million one season for the services of Antoine Walker and Antwoan Jamison, neither of whom posted double-digit rebounding averages (though I admit Walker still had some game at the time and Jamison is a solid player: but both are natural power forwards, and isnt that the position Dirk plays?).

There is just something tragically wrong about this.

DerekRE_3
07-08-2010, 06:41 PM
That deal will haunt him come years 5 and 6.

Ebbs
07-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Haywood is solid.

CBCable
07-08-2010, 06:45 PM
6 yrs 55 mil for a starting caliber center is not bloated, especially given that the 6th year is non-guaranteed.

i can't defend cubes' history on matters like this, but this specific deal is fine. it's what the market dictated.

now, why do people always obsess over how much mark cuban pays 'second rate centers' is a question worth asking.

DerekRE_3
07-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Shawn Bradly: 8 million
Raef LaFrentz: 7 million
Juan Howard; 18 and 20 million
Danny Fortson: 5 million
Eric Dampier: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 million?!?!?!?!
Allen Henderson: 8 million
And now a six year 55 million dollar deal for Brendon Haywood? They guy has only averaged double digits in points once, and has NEVER averaged double digit rebounds for an entire season. Now I know low post defence is important, and the guy is a big body that can get a couple blocks a game, but seriously!

Cuban let guys like Nash and Finley go because of money and then pays big bucks for these guys?

They guy even paid nearly a combined 25 million one season for the services of Antoine Walker and Antwoan Jamison, neither of whom posted double-digit rebounding averages (though I admit Walker still had some game at the time and Jamison is a solid player: but both are natural power forwards, and isnt that the position Dirk plays?).

There is just something tragically wrong about this.

Don't forget Gana Diop, they were lucky to trade that deal.

blacknell
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
if shaw can only get around 5 mil a season how the hell is haywood getting 10? He sucks on the offense end of the court i would think that cuban would see youi can't win when you big men can't score down low

Big Quett
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Did you expect the best C on the FA market to sign for the MLE or something?
But didnt Cuban not want to pay Nash because he was to old? But then he pays a 30 year old Dampier 60 mil for 6 years and a 30 year old Haywood 55 mil for 6 years? I really dont get the logic.

koreancabbage
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
He is the type of player every team needs. A talented shot blocking rebounding 7 footer who plays defense. He has the talent to succeed in the NBA, but a 6 year $55M contract to someone who has never averaged more than 10.8 points in the NBA worries me. This contract could just as easily spoil him. Its a high risk High reward move.

high risk...unknown reward move... you don't which Haywood you're going to expect.

John408
07-08-2010, 07:02 PM
LOL.....reminds me of Erick Dampier how they overpaid for him...LOL.

John408
07-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Haywood is solid.

hes solid for mid-level exception money..not 6 years 55 million...LOL.

xabial
07-08-2010, 07:12 PM
i though you were being sarcastic

next time don't say it off the top of your head.... you really ain't soundin too smart right now.

Since when does top of my head mean sarcasm? I had valid points to why these 2 teams came off the top off my head as other possible suitors who would overpay haywood if he didnt sign with the Mavs. They have cap space, and will be willing to use it when it seems All type A Fa's signed with other respective teams? :confused:

Big Quett
07-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Since when does top of my head mean sarcasm? I had valid points to why these 2 teams came off the top off my head as other possible suitors who would overpay haywood if he didnt sign with the Mavs. They have cap space, and will be willing to use it when it seems All type A Fa's signed with other respective teams? :confused:

Dude the Nets and Clippers were NEVVVVVVVER going to sign haywood. Brook Lopez is the Nets Franchise center and is already better than the career underachiever in Haywood. And the Clippers already have Kamen who is to better and younger than Haywood. What you said was stupid. Both of those teams center position would be arguably their best player.

lakerfan3118
07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
ahhh, and Dirk's wish to have a potent low post scorer join him in the starting lineup goes unfulfilled yet again.

Swashcuff
07-08-2010, 08:41 PM

:facepalm:

valid points? Do you understand anything about the NBA. Those points are farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from valid. Why would a team go waste money on Haywood (who'd be an OBVIOUS back-up to who they already have) because they missed out on other big names. Haven't you ever heard of being SMART and waiting till the next off season when better talent is available....

Isiah Thomas is that you?

dtmagnet
07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I figured he'd get this much after the deal that Camby signed.