PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Receives $16.5 Million Dollar Trade Exception

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/88449

The Suns will use Amar'e Stoudemire's official departure today to make a pair of sign-and-trade deals with New York and Chicago, netting the Suns a $16.5 million trade exception from the Knicks and using part of that for Hakim Warrick's acquisition, according to Stoudemire's agent, Happy Walters.

Walters said the trade exception the Suns are receiving in return for first signing Stoudemire to his five-year, $99.7 million contract with New York is for $16.5 million, equivalent to Stoudemire's first-year salary. That means the Suns would not be getting a player, like free agent David Lee in return.

However, if LeBron James picks New York today, the Suns could still have a chance at Lee. The Suns would have to do a sign-and-trade with New York before the Knicks signed James. Even then, they would have to outdo other suitors, who might be offering Lee more money or be offering New York a better package. Golden State was close to an agreement that would send Anthony Randolph
, Ronny Turiaf and Kelenna Azubuike to New York but Lee would have to agree to going to the Warriors. Also, Phoenix is debating whether it would give Lee a contract averaging about $13 million annually like he wants. By comparison, Steve Nash will make $10.3 million this season.

The Suns could use a trade exception over the next year to acquire a player of less than or close to the exception's value (about $13.5 million after the Warrick deal is done) without having to send any Suns players in a deal.

Thats a good deal. Suns can make some real moves with that TE.

celtsballa21
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM
You have to remember there are still good free agents next year, and teams are going to waste money this year on worse players because they have the open space. Suns wil save this and snag somebody next year.

tdunk21
07-08-2010, 11:58 AM
thats a good one for suns...good riddance of bad company...lol

S-Dot
07-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Anything that makes Steve Nash's job easier, I'm for it. I have the utmost respect for dude.

tdunk21
07-08-2010, 11:59 AM
You have to remember there are still good free agents next year, and teams are going to waste money this year on worse players because they have the open space. Suns wil save this and snag somebody next year.

trade exceptions have to be used in the calender year they are acquired...that means suns have to use the TE before july 8th 2011

xbrackattackx
07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Anything that makes Steve Nash's job easier, I'm for it. I have the utmost respect for dude.

king4day
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm happy they did this.
It means Sarver may not be the big cheapskate we all believe he is.

I wouldn't mind Lee but if we don't get him, at least we have possibilies during the year to improve.

Kakaroach
07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Great move by the Suns to at least get something back for Amare. That TE could prove to be really helpful.

JordansBulls
07-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Who can the Suns get as a big man?

tdunk21
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM

probably david lee....

koLohe2133
07-08-2010, 12:17 PM

kwame brown.....he will finally live up to his potential as a #1 overall:facepalm:

Sixerlover
07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
^ Elton Brand!!!!!!

But seriously, TE's are very good come the trade deadline if a team like Portland looks to move Camby, or a Al Jeff trade still hasn't happened. Always some players you can pick up.

Statik1
07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
The West is in serious need of some big guys!

Pau will have no one to play with... :D

Statik1
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
^ Elton Brand!!!!!!

But seriously, TE's are very good come the trade deadline if a team like Portland looks to move Camby, or a Al Jeff trade still hasn't happened. Always some players you can pick up.

lol @ Elton Brand that was a good one!

Just imagine Elton Brand in a run n gun offense... OUCH! :D

ldc62
07-08-2010, 12:20 PM
kwame brown.....he will finally live up to his potential as a #1 overall:facepalm:

Kwame would probably have a breakout year if he didn't have bricks as hands.

BranWingss
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd like to see Al Jefferson pair up with Steve Nash.

fadedmario
07-08-2010, 12:30 PM

x2 - He's a tough little PG

yoseppii12
07-08-2010, 12:32 PM
How does the Bulls work into this? Hakim Warrick? He was a FA I though?

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 12:34 PM
How does the Bulls work into this? Hakim Warrick? He was a FA I though?

Bulls signed & traded Warrick for part of the Trade Exception.

king4day
07-08-2010, 12:34 PM

In getting Warrick, they probably won't do anything if they can't trade for Lee.
They have Frye, Warrick, Lopez, and will bank on their rookies Collins and Lawal to make some noise (though unlikely).

nysportsfan23
07-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Knicks incentive to do trade instead of signing amare outright is? Unless Phx takes curry somehow or gives us something with amare, this deal is illogical and GSW are a better choice.

Geargo Wallace
07-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Great move by the Suns to at least get something back for Amare. That TE could prove to be really helpful.

I didn't say anything bad about Steve or Phoenix. In fact it was quite the opposite. Ina bury you Kakaroaches.

barreleffact
07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Knicks incentive to do trade instead of signing amare outright is? Unless Phx takes curry somehow or gives us something with amare, this deal is illogical and GSW are a better choice.

im lost on the knicks incentive too. i mean i could understand if it would mean signing for 6 years as opposed to 5, but if not, why help the competition?

swaddell13
07-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm happy they did this.
It means Sarver may not be the big cheapskate we all believe he is.

I wouldn't mind Lee but if we don't get him, at least we have possibilies during the year to improve.

yeah maybe sarv aint so cheap, but with the TE we would have to wait till next year to sign a good player, and i hate thinkin another year for steve and grant without titles...

oh well lets pray next year we get somone really good and we can win in 11-12

swaddell13
07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I'd like to see Al Jefferson pair up with Steve Nash.

(sorry for double post but didnt see this)

wow i was just talkin to my pops about this. look at how great jefferson was with the nets and jkid. nash is so much better (imo) and i personally like jefferson alot(especially since hes a wildcat) and he really didnt fit in to the spurs stle of play. he would fit soooo perfectly in our system i would wet myself if we got him lol

king4day
07-08-2010, 01:07 PM
How would this be for a real kick in the ***.
Suns trade the trade exception to Cavs for LeBron :D

That'd be some funny ****. :)

brazilianblur
07-08-2010, 01:23 PM
im lost on the knicks incentive too. i mean i could understand if it would mean signing for 6 years as opposed to 5, but if not, why help the competition?

With the Suns signing Amare, the Knicks are able to save $800,000 this year. The Suns are able to sign Amare with 10% raises per year opposed to the Knicks 8%. Because of this, the base salary in the first year can be lower and the total contract can still equal 99.7 mill or whatever it is. I also believe the suns are sending a second round pick along with some cash as well.
here is a link : http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/88449l
Also, I see many people talking about using the TRADE exception to sign someone next year. How can you sign a free agent using a trade exception?

THE MTL
07-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Knicks save some cap room with this deal.

barreleffact
07-08-2010, 03:04 PM
With the Suns signing Amare, the Knicks are able to save $800,000 this year. The Suns are able to sign Amare with 10% raises per year opposed to the Knicks 8%. Because of this, the base salary in the first year can be lower and the total contract can still equal 99.7 mill or whatever it is. I also believe the suns are sending a second round pick along with some cash as well.
Also, I see many people talking about using the TRADE exception to sign someone next year. How can you sign a free agent using a trade exception?

thanks for the insight. that does make sense but how far can they really stretchg that extra 800k?

JPHX
07-08-2010, 03:34 PM
how fitting. Cheapass Sarver traded our All Star power forward for some coupons.

phoenix_bladen
07-08-2010, 04:02 PM

the knicks get a 2nd round draft pick plus i believe 800000 in cash and because they do this amare's first year contract will be lower thus allowing them more room this summer to spend on free agents

also the total contract will still be the same so it benefits everyone

phoenix_bladen
07-08-2010, 04:03 PM

oops!

+2!!

braveniler58
07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh, great. I'm glad we got something out of this. Thank you, Amar'e.

Bruno
07-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Can the Suns make the playoffs without Amare/Lee?

The Raven
07-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Well at least they got something out of losing him

PHX2daDEATH
07-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I've heard this song and dance before... Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt we get a trade exception from the Shaq-Marion deal? Did we ever use it? hell no!!!

Go back further... We gave the Supersonics/Thunder not two second round picks, but two FIRST round picks just to take Kurt Thomas and his 1 year 8 million dollar contract of our hands for what? a Trade exception of 8 million dollars and a 2nd round pick. basically it boils down to Serge Ibaka and whoever OKC took with #26 this year but still.. we never used that trade exception either... this one will just sit there so Sarver can hoard all the money and pump it back into his other bussinesses.. What was Colangelo thinking when he sold this guy the team.....

you ever have the feeling you are being laughed at behind your back? I get that feeling when I mention that trade..