PDA

View Full Version : Travis Outlaw agrees with Nets for 5 years/35million

Kakaroach
07-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Just got the ESPN text. Link is coming shortly.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=949

JOSKOMANG4
07-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I just posted this up to ha..

IMO, it's a great pickup. Outlaw has a chance to start for this young team.

S-Dot
07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Great signing. Athletic guy who could put up numbers if the playing time is given to him.

ManRam
07-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I agree, great signing. The Nets are obviously going to miss out this free agency, but signing young athletic players like Outlaw is a good start. They still have a ton of talent, and even though they whiffed with the big names, I wouldn't be shocked to see them squeak into the playoffs.

BranWingss
07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I bet they wished they never traded Yi and CHR. :facepalm: This is a nice signing though.

lakers4sho
07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
7 mil per year?

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 11:36 AM
They almost drafted Travis Outlaw with the #3 pick. Good thing they let Minnesota draft Outlaw at #4.

Melo15
07-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I like this signing a lot, i'm a big Outlaw fan.

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
7 mil per year?

Yep. Thats the going rate for a 26 year old SF who shot under 40% from the field this season.

arkanian215
07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
That is a boatload of cash for a guy who hasn't started a dozen games in his 7 year career. He'll bring defense I suppose but what we need is a superstar.

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 11:40 AM
That is a boatload of cash for a guy who hasn't started a dozen games in his 7 year career. He'll bring defense I suppose but what we need is a superstar.

This.

It could've been worse.

Look on the bright side atleast you're not paying David Lee $15 Million per year.:facepalm:

Hellcrooner
07-08-2010, 11:41 AM
1 less team for lebron.

arkanian215
07-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Nothing is better than something when it comes to a contract like this.

Trouble87
07-08-2010, 11:42 AM
horrible contract but I like the pick up

Nets are building a lil under the radar contender

arkanian215
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I guess the other thing that bugs me about this is we have a Travis Outlaw type player. Damion James. Younger, cheaper, not as good but a SF who all around is decent but unspectacular.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-08-2010, 11:45 AM
he's a chucker

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I guess the other thing that bugs me about this is we have a Travis Outlaw type player. Damion James. Younger, cheaper, not as good but a SF who all around is decent but unspectacular.

Yep.

I really like Damion James. "The Nasty from Nagadoches"

Lo Porto
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
The Nets overpaid. I think he's good, but he doesn't deserve a dime over $6 million a year.

tredigs
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
This has to be the worst sign in modern sports. The guy is not even a 6th man (although he's decent), 7million per year? Jesus super-Russian, you could have held out for better than this, no?

kurivaimu
07-08-2010, 11:52 AM
He's a good player but that contract is too much.
If Ray got 10 mill a year then outlaw should be getting something near 4 at best.

Sixerlover
07-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Am i the only one that doesn't "like" this. I'm not against it because I'm not a Nets fan, but 7 mil over 5 long years for a player that will have little to no effect on the outcome of a game. Especially a Nets game where they are lacking of that superstar. They should've just kept CDR and upped T-Will's minutes, and saved a longterm deal.

tredigs
07-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Am i the only one that doesn't "like" this. I'm not against it because I'm not a Nets fan, but 7 mil over 5 long years for a player that will have little to no effect on the outcome of a game. Especially a Nets game where they are lacking of that superstar. They should've just kept CDR and upped T-Will's minutes, and saved a longterm deal.

The reason I'm against it t is because there are still so many other free agents on the market - they must have really been sensing a full strikeout coming, because like you said... 7 mil for 5 years on a guy who has very limited impact? I just don't like this.

nuggetsyankees
07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
way over-paid I wouldn't even give the full MLE for this guy

Big Quett
07-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I just posted this up to ha..

IMO, it's a great pickup. Outlaw has a chance to start for this young team.
What? No he doesnt. He is not starting before T Will. And he is cant play 2 or 4 7 mil for a bench player and has no chance to start?

arlubas
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Their games are pretty different though. I haven't watched Damion since the 08-09 season but I wouldn't exactly call him a player similar to what Travis brings to the table. BTW that's not to say that I think this is great like others say, at least not with 7 million/year. But it's better than nothing for the nets I guess.

ldc62
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Don't see the point of this pickup. They have CDR and Terrence who are both quality players at that position. I wanna see this 'blueprint of greatness'

JerseysFinest
07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
from a blazer or clippers fan perspective, what do you think of outlaw?

arlubas
07-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Don't see the point of this pickup. They have CDR and Terrence who are both quality players at that position. I wanna see this 'blueprint of greatness'
Wasn't CDR traded like a couple of weeks ago? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

R_O_W_E
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Wasn't CDR traded like a couple of weeks ago? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

CDR was traded to the Bucks.

blackjack_119
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Clearly you have never seen Outlaw play.

from a blazer or clippers fan perspective, what do you think of outlaw?

Outlaw hits the corner three at a very good clip but shoots poorly from the rest of the perimeter. He has one of the best vertical leaps in the NBA so he can get his shot off over anyone in isolation. He will annoy fans with the number of ugly shots that he takes (though he hits the ugly shots more often than the wide open shots.)

His athleticism is undermined by a very low BBIQ. He tends to always make the wrong play on defense. He either comes to help far to late or he double team's at the wrong time freeing up his man for an easy bucket.

Portland learned that while Travis looks like an NBA SF, he is at his best playing PF because it hides his poor perimeter defense and he is normal more of a mismatch than his opponent.

That being said, I am happy to see him getting paid. He is one of the nicest guys in the NBA.

BkOriginalOne
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Too much cash considering he'll probably be dealt before the Brooklyn move unless he finds a role.

Pierzynski4Prez
07-08-2010, 12:21 PM
horrible contract but I like the pick up

Nets are building a lil under the radar contender

Is Travis Outlaw that missing piece that takes a 12 win team to a contender?

fadedmario
07-08-2010, 12:23 PM
He's making the same thing Charlie Villanueva makes (even a little more I think). Detroit's contracts of Villanueva and Gordon are starting to look much better with all these big contracts given out so far in FA. Why are GM's spending so much on average players?

Tblaze
07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
overpaid... good scorer, and a bit clutch too.. however, he's a HORRIBLE defender... and doesn't possess great basketball IQ.. always takes tough shots.

robdog_5
07-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Nets will be much better. TWIll and Outlaw will form a athletic perimeter. Outlaw is ok, overpaid a bit but have plenty of space under cap. Still think they should trade for a PF or sign DLee

Geargo Wallace
07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm a little happier about us singing Kleiza now.

The Raven
07-08-2010, 01:16 PM
7 mil a year for a role player? wtf.

i know the nets have alot of cap space but why waste it on someone like this

The Jokemaker
07-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Nets seem to be stockpiling talent. Smart move because it gives Avery Johnson a bunch of different players to play with in his lineups and see which works the best. Outlaw is definitely athletic and can attack the rim. His shooting may be subpar but hey, that's why they signed Korver!

arkanian215
07-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Clearly you have never seen Outlaw play.

Outlaw hits the corner three at a very good clip but shoots poorly from the rest of the perimeter. He has one of the best vertical leaps in the NBA so he can get his shot off over anyone in isolation. He will annoy fans with the number of ugly shots that he takes (though he hits the ugly shots more often than the wide open shots.)

His athleticism is undermined by a very low BBIQ. He tends to always make the wrong play on defense. He either comes to help far to late or he double team's at the wrong time freeing up his man for an easy bucket.

Portland learned that while Travis looks like an NBA SF, he is at his best playing PF because it hides his poor perimeter defense and he is normal more of a mismatch than his opponent.

That being said, I am happy to see him getting paid. He is one of the nicest guys in the NBA.

You wouldn't say he's at least an average defender?

The Nets were one of the worst defensive teams last year. An average defender would help.

The Jokemaker
07-08-2010, 01:20 PM
He's making the same thing Charlie Villanueva makes (even a little more I think). Detroit's contracts of Villanueva and Gordon are starting to look much better with all these big contracts given out so far in FA. Why are GM's spending so much on average players?

The money is available. When many teams have money, they'll all be going for the same players. Therefore even teams without too much money will end up overpaying. Just how it works.

VRP723
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Is Travis Outlaw that missing piece that takes a 12 win team to a contender?

:laugh2:

arkanian215
07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Their games are pretty different though. I haven't watched Damion since the 08-09 season but I wouldn't exactly call him a player similar to what Travis brings to the table. BTW that's not to say that I think this is great like others say, at least not with 7 million/year. But it's better than nothing for the nets I guess.

Well when Outlaw first came into the league, he had limited range as well. If they did use him on the offensive end, they'd try to exploit the size advantage close to the basket. James is more developed than Outlaw in their rookie seasons and should be a better rebounder. He's the guy who you hope to develop into a go to defender and put on the other team's best scoring wing because of the combination of his length, agility, strength and size (outlaw with more length, james with more strength). I guess "games" wasn't the right word for it. Role would've been better.

xbrackattackx
07-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I like outlaw Nets cant wait to not make any moves. I think the signings have been great ones so Far. they have a nice supporting cast now. And it can only get better.

RaiderLakersA's
07-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Someone said that these teams would wind up overpaying for FA talent. Very prophetic.

Swashcuff
07-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Horrible Horrible contract.