PDA

View Full Version : Has Your Opinion On Sports Journalists Changed?

J4KOP99
07-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Over the last week or so I have lost a lot of respect for most of these so-called journalists. They have lost most of their credibility and seem to not make any decisions based on journalism ethics anymore.

Some of these guys, such as Dan LeBatard, who may be looked down upon for his on-air role, are top-notch and highly regarded sports journalists. Now I am only using LeBatard as an example, he may end up completely correct but it seems to me like most of these writers are saying things just for the sake of saying them. Most "rumors" end up being completely untrue and in some cases, one writer can change his mind about 5 times a day.

Look at Chris Broussard. During the course of the year, give him credit, he does a great job covering the NBA for ESPN... despite how some of you feel about him now. He writes good articles, seems to know a ton of players who he can use for inside information and is usually spot-on. However, when this whole free-agency fiasco began, he took a different approach. Like other journalists in his field, they all want to be the one to have the correct prediction, therefore willing to say almost anything, at any moment and usually blaming it on a "source" if it ends up failing them.

Now, some may not be as upset as I am with the way journalists are treating this NBA free agency but personally, sports journalism is something I wanted to do and watching how most of these highly-regarded writers and news people are working, disgusts me. They might as well join us on PSD, where they can make up all the crazy crap they want and never be held accountable.

NYK|NYY
07-08-2010, 09:16 AM
This whole thing was a huge **** storm, I'm not going to hold it against the journalists for releasing whatever info (whether right or wrong) they managed to get their hands on.

wileyisTOFU
07-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Stupid Journalists doing their jobs

Raoul Duke
07-08-2010, 09:27 AM
It's devolved into tabloid journalism and it's a complete waste of time.

I feel silly even discussing this, because they aren't even real journalists. They don't write about anything important. Lebron puts a ball in a hole, guys. Why are we so obsessed with what team he decides to put the ball in the hole for?

TheLaRagers
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
nope..... There kinda like news journalists. Only more accurate

J4KOP99
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
It's devolved into tabloid journalism and it's a complete waste of time.

I feel silly even discussing this, because they aren't even real journalists. They don't write about anything important. Lebron puts a ball in a hole, guys. Why are we so obsessed with what team he decides to put the ball in the hole for?

It really has turned into something we would see in TMZ or another tabloid magazine. ""LeBron was seen at a NYC SteakHouse with aviotor sunglasses, jeans and a white nike shirt!"

But in all seriousness, some of these people are "real" journalists, whether they write about sports or not.

And as for us being obsessed, his decision does hold a ton of weight, despite what some may think. The economy in cleveland could easily be effected if he does not come back. It's sad, but it's true.

AllTimeBest
07-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Reporters using twitter = 0 respect

TheLaRagers
07-08-2010, 09:39 AM
TV loves twitter. So do most journalists

NYKalltheway
07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Never respected what they're doing, even though I'd be happy to be one (in the USA).

Sport reporters where I live suck, so that's why I have this opinion on them generally.

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
07-08-2010, 09:45 AM
theyre like weathermen except they dont have the doppler radar

Heediot
07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Journalists, especially commercial based ones, have a systematic approach to reporting. They report methodically in ways that can be recycled so they can stay in business and or remain a contributor. Alot of stuff is regurjitated (pardon the spelling) crap that is adjusted according to the situation/scenario.

In terms of their credibility. I feel that the free agent frenze has exposed alot of these reporters for the people that they really are. Shameless!!

Kakaroach
07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I do admit while I have lost a lot of respect for journalists over the past few weeks as well, they are doing their job. This is why they get paid.

StoicSentry
07-08-2010, 11:06 AM
This has been an absolute circus. Whatever happens, I despise the way LeBron carried this out, but the journalism has been just as bad.

Now everyone is acting like it's a given that he is going to sign in Miami. WTF? It's not official yet. After reports that was going to stay at home, to Chicago, to New York, to Jersey, etc, etc, etc, I'm not going to believe a damn thing until it's official.

J4KOP99
07-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Bill Simmons brings up a similar idea in his new article...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100708

RaiderLakersA's
07-08-2010, 03:15 PM
My girlfriend once went to this spa where she received a pedicure involving tiny fish that eat the dead skin off of her feet. I don't remember the exact name of the fish, but that's pretty much how I see many of today's sports reporters. They're helpful, but the way they go about their business can make your stomach turn.

camador22
07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I must say Stephen A and Dan Lebatard have completely earned my respect. They were right since day one and you have to respect those guys for putting their reputation on the line and getting it right. Now on the other hand you have Chris Broussard who from day one claimed Lebron was going to Chicago. He brought all these fake sources saying that Lebron will be a Bull and continued it throughout this process. He also pridected Bosh would join him in ChicagoNow he finally comes out and says that Miami appears to be the spot. What a complete joke he has been misleading Bulls fans.

Rivera
07-08-2010, 03:31 PM
yes espec the ones on ESPN

they might look so bad cause there always on TV

and changing their opinions every half hour

the ones l growned to like is that brian windhorst dude from CLE he seems to have good sources and know what hes talkin abt

and give some love to Steven A(stute) Smith

Steven A smith might be back soon he was right all along

or he got really lucky :D

xbrackattackx
07-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Still Crap, Sport Journalist take away people thinking for them selves about teams and players and just Ingest and then Repeat the garbage they hear/read of these guys.

Use your brain and analyze situations for yourself.

J4KOP99
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Still Crap, Sport Journalist take away people thinking for them selves about teams and players and just Ingest and then Repeat the garbage they hear/read of these guys.

Use your brain and analyze situations for yourself.

Well, in most cases these writers have a lot of knowledgable sources that they can gather knowledge from whereas the normal fan does not have that option.

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
07-08-2010, 08:20 PM
My girlfriend once went to this spa where she received a pedicure involving tiny fish that eat the dead skin off of her feet. I don't remember the exact name of the fish, but that's pretty much how I see many of today's sports reporters. They're helpful, but the way they go about their business can make your stomach turn.

doctor fish.... they have that outside of korea?

dtmagnet
07-08-2010, 08:43 PM
They basically say whatever they want and quote "sources" which may or may not exist.

JordanPippen
07-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I agree with the OP's stance. I wanted to create a thread where we could evaluate which analyst got it right and which analyst was totally off base. That way, in the future, we would be more educated on who to read.

BradyIsTheMan12
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't listen to analysts often anyways, so no my opinion has not changed.

flea
07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Let's put it this way: Jemele Hill is a sports journalist.