PDA

View Full Version : I am herebyOFFICIALLY DONE betting against Kobe Bean Bryant

JayW_1023
07-08-2010, 08:08 AM
In my five years as poster on PSD I've been one of Kobe's biggest critics. But hereby I announce that I'm done. Over. NADA. Nyente. Not happening anymore.

- I've questioned his shot selection, his tendency to abort plays to jack of fade away threes
- His constant scowling to the refs when he doesn't get a whistle
- His cocky attitude and Jordan copy-ing manners
- Those annoying little sighs before a freethrow and his reluctance to give Pau Gasol touches and be a lone gunman.

It just DOESN'T MATTER. The guy obviously gets it done. Somehow he just knows how to win. He works harder than any other player. He wants to win more than any other player in the NBA. And just when you think the likes of LBJ, Wade, Durant have overtaken him...he just lifts up his game. Who cares if he gets broken fingers, swollen knees and all that crap right? He still a five time NBA champion.

So here I concede. I will never like Kobe Bryant. But dang, the combination of intangibles he always brings to the game fascinates me. How can a player with so much adversity continue to prove naysayers like myself wrong time and time again. It never ceases to amaze me. As a Spurs fan I've witnessed it first hand how Kobe has carried himself in the midst of NBA competition.

And no matter how many superstars will join forces in Miami after tonight, is it really such an unsafe bet to bet against Kobe Bryant once again.

Screw that, I still think the guy will get it done somehow. After last years title, I have realized the futility of betting against Kobe no matter what the odds.

*shrugs*

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-08-2010, 08:16 AM
it's about time that people realize how good that guy is:worthy:

TheBay30
07-08-2010, 08:17 AM
All the Kobe HATERS knows kobe gets it done ! They just wont admit it !
But you admitted it!

_Supreme_
07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
It's not exactly like he got things done before he got his insanely stacked team handed to him for almost free. Your post seems a bit to completely dismiss the players around him.

This is not meant to bash him, and while I am not a fan he does deserve great respect for his work ethic and attitude towards the game, but to suddenly attribute greater deeds to him while he is on the team he is on now takes it way too far as far as I'm concerned. If anything things got a lot easier for him.

JayW_1023
07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
All the Kobe HATERS knows kobe gets it done ! They just wont admit it !
But you admitted it!

Still hate him though. But he is the best. No doubt about it. I still prefer watching Manu or Rondo do their thing though. They just play with more flair...more alive.

Kobe on the other hand is a machine. A living breathing basketball playing machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this -machine- does is win and play basketball...and make little Mamba's. That's all!

"Like to prove that wouldya, put yer name in the National Geographic."

After title number five however, nobody is LOLing....

TheBay30
07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Kobe = Hardest working player in the game ! hands down.
people dont know how hard the guy works!

Raidaz4Life
07-08-2010, 08:25 AM
It's not exactly like he got things done before he got his insanely stacked team handed to him for almost free. Your post seems a bit to completely dismiss the players around him.

This is not meant to bash him, and while I am not a fan he does deserve great respect for his work ethic and attitude towards the game, but to suddenly attribute greater deeds to him while he is on the team he is on now takes it way too far as far as I'm concerned. If anything things got a lot easier for him.

I agree and disagree, yes on paper he has a much better team but Lamar Odom is extremely overrated by most people here, Ron Artest has a tendency to shoot them out of games, and Bynum was hardly healthy enough to make an effective impact on the court. So yes I agree Kobe does have the benefit of playing for a very talented team, but at the same time the amount of times he has to carry that talented team on his back is kind of ridiculous.

TheBay30
07-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Admit this though, when your fav. team plays against Lakers you get worried cause i know when the Warriors play Lakers i get worried cause Kobe's gonna take over. Kobe's my 2nd fav player but when he hits the big shots against GS, i now know why people dont like Kobe. haha

NYKnickFanatic
07-08-2010, 08:26 AM
If LeBron signs with the Heat, I will have so much respect for Kobe than I do for LeBron and I hate Kobe with a passion and LBJ is my favorite player.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Where's your Kobe Bryant fan meetings sig?

22alfred
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
kobe is not a perfect human being but he has done his best to be the best

he has run into trouble in the past(denver)

and for a while he was confused on either to stay with the lakers

but at the end of the day he delivers and has shown true sportsmanship

not talking **** just leaving it all on the court

he is not Paul Pierce to talk smack or Garnet

his not LBJ thats has to have the spot light on him (TV show to announce his decision), or be a sore loser (2008 against magic)

KOBE is kobe- he lets his game talk

thats why i have great respect for him and TIM DUNCAN (even though i hate the spurs)

DodgerBulls
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
LOL! This thread just came out of nowhere. I'm actually glad there's another thread besides the FAs.

I too hate Kobe with passion. Although I hate him the most, I do respect his game and how he closes the game. No doubt that he works hard, I still remember that Sprite commercial a few years back that his critics and airball misses that ends up in the front page inspires him to be better.

In no way that I tried to cover/hide my hate towards him, but yes I do not hide how great he is. I just don't like his attitude towards the "fouls" and sometimes how hypocite he is on some subjects of the game. I started to hate him when he started to ignore Phil. Fisher did admit to the public that Kobe does not listen to his teammates, just to Fisher because they have spent a whole lot and that just does not give me the image of how a team player he is.

So yes, I hate him with such passion, but I enjoy his game especially closing the games, well to the ones that he does not try to force the issue.. which is very few, but I do enjoy whether he makes it or not.

GrumpyOldMan
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm not a big Kobe fan either, but I have as much respect for him as I do for any active player. The man just wins.

22alfred
07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Slimsim
07-08-2010, 08:39 AM
When will the knicks get their Kobe/MJ.

black1605
07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
never been a kobe hater, dude is a beast

newbs001
07-08-2010, 08:54 AM
If LeBron signs with the Heat, I will have so much respect for Kobe than I do for LeBron and I hate Kobe with a passion and LBJ is my favorite player.

I think I already have more respect for him now anyway. Plus where is David Stern? He has permitted the NBA to be held hostage.

GspLAL
07-08-2010, 08:56 AM

You make it sound like having a great team is a sin and he should be penalized for it. Kobe had his time of playing with horrible players and still carried his team to a 3-1 lead over a #1 seed at one point.

jaded01
07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

Kobe is the best player since Michael, he works his butt off and focuses on winning rather than self-aggrandizing hour long specials to explain where you are going to sign. At least when he says he wants to win more than anything else, you can believe that he's telling the truth.

Raoul Duke
07-08-2010, 09:07 AM

An old and tired argument. There are three or four "insanely stacked" teams every year, and only one gets to win a championship.

I stopped hating on him a couple of years ago when the "Kobe vs. MJ" debate actually grew some legs (albeit short, stubby, ungainly legs because MJ is still the better player by far). I feel some sort of sympathy for him because he's never been judged entirely on his own merits, which are many.

As a basketball fan, is possible to not appreciate his ability to win close games? It's frustrating, but you can't really talk a whole lotta **** about him, or his team.

TheGsw
07-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Im a Warrior fan and many Warrior fans hate Kobe.
For me, hes one of my favorites in the league.
Kobe haters dont realize his work ethic, and they are afraid to admit hes the closest thing to Jordan, or they just find reasons to hate.
I doubt LeBron, Wade or even Carmelo are gonna get 5 rings. LeBron and Carmelo may be lucky if they even get 1. haha
The most scary part about Kobe is that hes not even done with his career.

ChiSox219
07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

Kobe is the best player since Michael, he works his butt off and focuses on winning rather than self-aggrandizing hour long specials to explain where you are going to sign. At least when he says he wants to win more than anything else, you can believe that he's telling the truth.

Shaq, Duncan, and Lebron think otherwise.

Also, a lot of players work extremely hard, how can anyone say Kobe works the hardest? You don't know the work ethic of 90% of the league.

G-Menfan4lyfe
07-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Think about all the clutch shots people made tho to help the Robert Horry, Derek Fisher.... If not for some of their huge shots Kobe wouldn't have as many rings. He always has had a great big man when he's won rings and he's also had great role players. Kobe is a great player but it is a team game. He has won 0 championships by himself.

Raoul Duke
07-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Also, a lot of players work extremely hard, how can anyone say Kobe works the hardest? You don't know the work ethic of 90% of the league.

I've heard guys like Durant, Wade and Lebron, as well as a murderer's row of coaches insist that Kobe is the hardest working man in the NBA. Your posts are damn good, but I'll take their word over yours.

TheGsw
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Kobe is the most hated and most loved player.

JayW_1023
07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
WHY was this thread moved? It's not like I'm a homer or anything. I am a Spurs fan ferchrissakes.

Having a dozen Miami threads on the main forum is okay then?

J4KOP99
07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I hear this all the time from different people. They finally start to respect him as basketball player although they still dislike him and his team.

The thing with Kobe is that he is never going to be judged solely on his career. People want to compare him to Michael and put him up against anybody else they think is better at the current time.(McGrady, Vince, Iverson, LeBron, Wade) The fact is, as people continue to dislike him and attempt to bring him down, he is consistent in two things...

1) Working hard

2) Winning

You say he isn't the hardest worker? Who gives a ****? If someones argument is "how do you know, other people work hard too!" then I think Kobe is doing his job. As for winning, give all the credit to Shaq or a weak Eastern Conf. or say that his current team is too stacked. Fact of the matter is Kobe will retire with at least 5 rings while also being one of the most dominant players in NBA history.

He is never going to be MJ, the media would never let it happen. He could win 3 more titles, lead the league in career scoring and still not be on MJ's level. But when it is all said and done, and Kobe has retired, he will at least be in the argument... and that right there says something.

DCB/LAL
07-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Funny......that team wasn't considered that "insanely stacked" till they got Pau Gasol must I remind you they were considered scrubs before hand.......and Ron Artest was suppossed to be their down fall and not a good fit and well the rest is history. Dont act like theirs not other teams as "stacked" as the Lakers the probably for the league is the Lakers built chemistry and now are so damn good and hard to beat they built a team that looks like a juggernaut....and alot of that is credited to the chemistry they've built because like I said many of them were considered scrubs before they got Pau Gasol.

TheGsw
07-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Think about all the clutch shots people made tho to help the Robert Horry, Derek Fisher.... If not for some of their huge shots Kobe wouldn't have as many rings. He always has had a great big man when he's won rings and he's also had great role players. Kobe is a great player but it is a team game. He has won 0 championships by himself.

So Jordan won 0 by himself and Duncan and etc.
Fair enough

LionBryan
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Mods are ridiculous. This had to be moved to the Lakers forum? Really?

B.JenningsMVP
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Shaq, Duncan, and Lebron think otherwise.

Yes, almost every player works extremely hard. But you can simply tell Kobe puts in the most work because it actually shows. Things he works on are done in the game.
Last off-season, Kobe met up with Hakeem for him to work on a dream shake. He worked hard making sure the execution was precise & eventually pulled that trick out of his hat against the Clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z16ij3Fbqc4

Also, almost every person associated with the NBA (player,coach,GM,etc.) somehow will say that he is the hardest worker. So, yes Kobe is the hardest worker.

TheGsw
07-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Yes, almost every player works extremely hard. But you can simply tell Kobe puts in the most work because it actually shows. Things he works on are done in the game.
Last off-season, Kobe met up with Hakeem for him to work on a dream shake. He worked hard making sure the execution was precise & eventually pulled that trick out of his hat against the Clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z16ij3Fbqc4

Also, almost every person associated with the NBA (player,coach,GM,etc.) somehow will say that he is the hardest worker. So, yes Kobe is the hardest worker.
This.

B.JenningsMVP
07-08-2010, 09:35 AM

w/o John Paxson and Steve Kerr, hell even Scottie, Horace, Kukoc & Rodman, Jordan would have 0 rings by himself.

w/o Kareem, Scott, Worthy, Wilkes, etc., Magic would have 0.

w/o McHale, Parish, Ainge, DJ, etc., Bird would have 0.

Get where this is going?

TheGsw
07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
w/o John Paxson and Steve Kerr, hell even Scottie, Horace, Kukoc & Rodman, Jordan would have 0 rings by himself.

w/o Kareem, Scott, Worthy, Wilkes, etc., Magic would have 0.

w/o McHale, Parish, Ainge, DJ, etc., Bird would have 0.

Get where this is going?

This.

KobeJordan
07-08-2010, 10:26 AM

No one wins by himself. What you stated is obvious.. He does have a team, however, without Kobe they are a perennial playoff team, with Kobe they are Perrennial Champions.

lakers4sho
07-08-2010, 10:29 AM
This got moved to the Lakers forum...

I guess the NBA forum is reserved for players with last names of James, Wade, and Bosh.

:sigh:

shep33
07-08-2010, 10:34 AM
In my five years as poster on PSD I've been one of Kobe's biggest critics. But hereby I announce that I'm done. Over. NADA. Nyente. Not happening anymore.

- I've questioned his shot selection, his tendency to abort plays to jack of fade away threes
- His constant scowling to the refs when he doesn't get a whistle
- His cocky attitude and Jordan copy-ing manners
- Those annoying little sighs before a freethrow and his reluctance to give Pau Gasol touches and be a lone gunman.

It just DOESN'T MATTER. The guy obviously gets it done. Somehow he just knows how to win. He works harder than any other player. He wants to win more than any other player in the NBA. And just when you think the likes of LBJ, Wade, Durant have overtaken him...he just lifts up his game. Who cares if he gets broken fingers, swollen knees and all that crap right? He still a five time NBA champion.

So here I concede. I will never like Kobe Bryant. But dang, the combination of intangibles he always brings to the game fascinates me. How can a player with so much adversity continue to prove naysayers like myself wrong time and time again. It never ceases to amaze me. As a Spurs fan I've witnessed it first hand how Kobe has carried himself in the midst of NBA competition.

And no matter how many superstars will join forces in Miami after tonight, is it really such an unsafe bet to bet against Kobe Bryant once again.

Screw that, I still think the guy will get it done somehow. After last years title, I have realized the futility of betting against Kobe no matter what the odds.

*shrugs*

Hey man, good on yah. I respect what your saying, and it takes a lot to admit how great someone/something is when you have grown up routing against them. I agree with what your saying, I remember back in the day Kobe wasn't my favorite player, nowhere near when he was a youngster. However, I saw his work ethic, I saw his desire to win, I saw how he worked harder than any other player in the league. I developed into a Kobe fan after watching him over his career, and I'm with Alvin Gentry, the guy is the best in the league and its his desire to put it all on the line which makes me like him so much.

By far my favorite player over the past 8-9 years, the guy just gets it done when he needs to.

In some ways I'm routing for a "super team" in Miami, cause if Kobe and the Lakers beat them, there will be no way that LBJ can rise above Kobe's level, and it should be proof to everyone why Kobe has been the best player in the game for arguably close to a decade.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
07-08-2010, 10:36 AM

I guess the NBA forum is reserved for players with last names of James, Wade, and Bosh.

indeed

Vinylman
07-08-2010, 10:40 AM

so umm... lets see how you analyze wade/bosh/lebron if they join forces... won't lebron be wade's ***** by going to miami? i mean... lebron couldn't win without a superstar like wade... will that logic prevail?

i doubt it...

keep hating... we will just keep winning

Vinylman
07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I think I already have more respect for him now anyway. Plus where is David Stern? He has permitted the NBA to be held hostage.

where is david stern? This is exactly the monster he CREATED... he wants the league to be about individuals and not teams... he is loving every narcicisstic minute of this...

Young$avage
07-08-2010, 10:50 AM

And Jordan has six rings by himself?

Iron24th
07-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Bravo,you admit it.

Statik1
07-08-2010, 11:32 AM

You think those mods want anything to do with the reigning "BACK TO BACK"
Champions???

Of course not....

http://i.imgur.com/w322q.gif <--- This is the truth!